PDA

View Full Version : The White Stripes - Icky Thump

dan
07-05-2007, 07:10 AM
As with the last three, this review is dedicated to 5StringJeff, in hopes that he'll come around to the greatness that is Jack and Meg White. :laugh2:

This album is a strong return to form by the Stripes. After their last album, which confused a lot of fans (it traded in guitars for dark piano ditties, and for the record, I loved it), they've come back to their classic form in a ferocious way. This has the classic White Stripes sound, one part classic blues, one part Led Zeppelin. They branch out some, but most of these songs could've easily fit onto White Blood Cells or Elephant. The biggest difference is the drum work, which, while still extremely basic, has benefitted from a fuller, more bombastic sound. They've also added another dynamic, a sound that I cannot place: it's either a highly synthesized guitar or a highly electrified organ. It's on the single, "Icky Thump", as well as a few other songs. It's a weird, unique sound that spices up the songs nicely.

The album's not perfect. There are three or four songs toward the end of the album that just seem like filler. The riff from "You Don't Know What Love is (You Just Do What You're Told)" borrows pretty liberally from Bad Company's "Shooting Star", and "Rag and Bone" sounds quite a bit like "Hot For Teacher", right down to the spoken-word verses (it should be noted, though, that these are two of my favorite songs on the album). And, oddly, there's an out-of-the-blue political statement, which is way out of character for Jack White's lyrics. The final verse of "Icky Thump" changes the song from a typical White Stripes song about a sexy senorita to an anti-anti-immigration song. So, if that sort of thing irritates you, there's that.

But, overall, it's a great rock album, something the mainstream really needs at this point.

Said1
07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
As with the last three, this review is dedicated to 5StringJeff, in hopes that he'll come around to the greatness that is Jack and Meg White. :laugh2:

This album is a strong return to form by the Stripes. After their last album, which confused a lot of fans (it traded in guitars for dark piano ditties, and for the record, I loved it), they've come back to their classic form in a ferocious way. This has the classic White Stripes sound, one part classic blues, one part Led Zeppelin. They branch out some, but most of these songs could've easily fit onto White Blood Cells or Elephant. The biggest difference is the drum work, which, while still extremely basic, has benefitted from a fuller, more bombastic sound. They've also added another dynamic, a sound that I cannot place: it's either a highly synthesized guitar or a highly electrified organ. It's on the single, "Icky Thump", as well as a few other songs. It's a weird, unique sound that spices up the songs nicely.

The album's not perfect. There are three or four songs toward the end of the album that just seem like filler. The riff from "You Don't Know What Love is (You Just Do What You're Told)" borrows pretty liberally from Bad Company's "Shooting Star", and "Rag and Bone" sounds quite a bit like "Hot For Teacher", right down to the spoken-word verses (it should be noted, though, that these are two of my favorite songs on the album). And, oddly, there's an out-of-the-blue political statement, which is way out of character for Jack White's lyrics. The final verse of "Icky Thump" changes the song from a typical White Stripes song about a sexy senorita to an anti-anti-immigration song. So, if that sort of thing irritates you, there's that.

But, overall, it's a great rock album, something the mainstream really needs at this point.

Saw them last night, it was one of the bestt shows I've seen in a long, long time. They didn't play much off of Icky Thump, but they did play that song, which was excellent. I went to see them play some of their older blues/bluegrass stuff anyway, and that they did play......'Send me an Angle Down' 'Hotel Yorba' "Ball and Biscuit'. Meg sang a song, i can't say I ejoyed it much since I used that opportunity to visit the Go-Hut. :laugh2:

I would agree with the review of Icky Thump, too much filler, but you can listen to it. It's quite mellow in my opinion, good house cleaning CD. :laugh:

5stringJeff
07-09-2007, 09:38 PM

I was reading about the White Stripes in the paper this morning and figured you were in 7th heaven!!! :D

Seriously, though, now that I've had a few years to digest it, it's not the White Stripes' music that bugs me - musically, it's very unique, and I appreciate the songwriting aspect of what they do. It's Jack's voice. He's got that Smashing-Pumpkins nasal-whiny-artsy sound. If he had the voice of, say, James Hetfield of Metallica, I'd probably love the White Stripes.

But, I've been so busy listening to country that I probably won't hear the single for months! :D

dan
07-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Saw them last night, it was one of the bestt shows I've seen in a long, long time. They didn't play much off of Icky Thump, but they did play that song, which was excellent. I went to see them play some of their older blues/bluegrass stuff anyway, and that they did play......'Send me an Angle Down' 'Hotel Yorba' "Ball and Biscuit'. Meg sang a song, i can't say I ejoyed it much since I used that opportunity to visit the Go-Hut. :laugh2:

I would agree with the review of Icky Thump, too much filler, but you can listen to it. It's quite mellow in my opinion, good house cleaning CD. :laugh:

Lucky, lucky dog! I bet "Ball and Biscuit" is awesome live. Do they still do the whole mid-song breakdown thing they used to do a few years ago?

Anyway, yeah, I'd assume a lot of Icky wouldn't work live (a lot more than 2 instruments going on at once). Did they do "Jolene"? I'd love to see that.

And, poor Meg.... She should stick to drumming, much as I hate to say it.

dan
07-10-2007, 03:18 AM
I was reading about the White Stripes in the paper this morning and figured you were in 7th heaven!!! :D

Seriously, though, now that I've had a few years to digest it, it's not the White Stripes' music that bugs me - musically, it's very unique, and I appreciate the songwriting aspect of what they do. It's Jack's voice. He's got that Smashing-Pumpkins nasal-whiny-artsy sound. If he had the voice of, say, James Hetfield of Metallica, I'd probably love the White Stripes.

But, I've been so busy listening to country that I probably won't hear the single for months! :D

I can see you not liking his voice. On their older stuff, he sounds a lot like Robert Plant, or at least someone doing a Robert Plant impression. Glad you're coming around, though!

Said1
07-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Lucky, lucky dog! I bet "Ball and Biscuit" is awesome live. Do they still do the whole mid-song breakdown thing they used to do a few years ago?

Anyway, yeah, I'd assume a lot of Icky wouldn't work live (a lot more than 2 instruments going on at once). Did they do "Jolene"? I'd love to see that.

And, poor Meg.... She should stick to drumming, much as I hate to say it.

Ball and Buscuit was part of a half hour encore, which was almost like a second, better set. They didn't play 'Jolene', but the did play 'Death Letter" 'Instinct Blues' (Fanfreekingtastic!) 'Wasting My Time' 'Dead Leaves on The Dirty Ground' 'Boll Weevil' and 'Seven Nation Army'. A good show for hard core fans.

Meg didn't sound terrible, i'ts just that the song she sang didn't seem to fit with the rest of the set. Yeah, drumming.

And Jeff, if you've been listening to country, might I suggest "Van Lear Rose' produced and arranged by Jack White and Loretta Lynn. I think they won a grammy "best colaboraion'.

Here is a sample enititled 'family tree'. Classic Loretta Lynn, performed with Jack White on the today show.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7y3wRNdN6s0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7y3wRNdN6s0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>