PDA

View Full Version : One question poll

dan
07-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Maybe I should put this in the politics section, but I want this to be more about how you feel inside, not arguing your point.

Anyhow, I see people all over this board, hell, all over the internet, defending their right to arms, saying they'd blow away someone for this or that.

My question is: could you really do it? Putting aside all bravado for one second, how hard would it be for you to actually kill someone?

Personally, if someone was robbing me or something along those lines (IE, no physical harm done), I definitely couldn't do it. However, and of course I wouldn't know this for sure unless, God forbid, I was ever in this situation, but I think I could probably shoot someone who was threatening me or my loved ones with physical harm. I think it would mess me up big-time in the long run, but I think I could do it in the heat of the moment.

glockmail
07-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Maybe I should put this in the politics section, but I want this to be more about how you feel inside, not arguing your point.

Anyhow, I see people all over this board, hell, all over the internet, defending their right to arms, saying they'd blow away someone for this or that.

My question is: could you really do it? Putting aside all bravado for one second, how hard would it be for you to actually kill someone?

Personally, if someone was robbing me or something along those lines (IE, no physical harm done), I definitely couldn't do it. However, and of course I wouldn't know this for sure unless, God forbid, I was ever in this situation, but I think I could probably shoot someone who was threatening me or my loved ones with physical harm. I think it would mess me up big-time in the long run, but I think I could do it in the heat of the moment.

I think you just answered your own question. If someone is robbing you with little threat of physical harm then you have no right to use deadly force. And if someone was threatening per your example, then you would have that right. Generally if you have not instigated the situation and have no way of retreat or are interupted in your home then you have the right to defend yourself.

Under the right circumstances I would have no problem defending myself.

Mr. P
07-05-2007, 10:13 AM

In a heartbeat. This is a reality that must be dealt with and decided before you ever carry a firearm for defense. Deciding what you will do during a robbery, assault or home invasion is the wrong time to start making the decision about defensive use of force. IMO you should know what you will do "if" this or that is true. I believe a mental review of "if" should be an ongoing exercise for anyone that owns a firearm for defense. Thinking about the "if" does not mean your actions are written in stone. Instead it frees your mind in a stressful situation to evaluate the details allowing an immediate and proper response.

Gaffer
07-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Such situations where you may have to take a life are spur of the moment actions where you really don't have time to think about it. If you are taking the time to think about it you will be the dead one.

Can I shoot someone if I need too? Absolutely. Would it bother me? Not at all.

JohnDoe
07-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Such situations where you may have to take a life are spur of the moment actions where you really don't have time to think about it. If you are taking the time to think about it you will be the dead one.

Can I shoot someone if I need too? Absolutely. Would it bother me? Not at all.

I dunno Gaffer
I think that can only be said, IF you know the person was trying to harm or kill you or your family, which is what most of the people responding to this thread have said, and I believe you have said too....?

I think if one just killed a kid breaking in to ones house with no weapons on him and with no threat of life given towards them or their family, they would be sickened that they killed another human being.

When stationed overseas, we had our very big American car with us, on those tiny for the most part, roads in Europe. During Siesta time a 50 year old drunk man riding a motor scooter turn right in front of my parents. His Scooter Bike and him bounced on the windshield. He was in critical condition. My mother spoke the foreign language perfectly and thank goodness there was a policeman on the corner that had witnessed the accident because they could have been hauled off to jail!

Anyway, my parents went to visit this man, in the hospital for about a week and a half straight before he passed away. (This would never happen today, or in the USA because of the rampant law suit situation)

My sister and I were not in the car when this happened thank goodness!

My mom and dad PRAYED with all their hearts that this older man, with a family that they had met at the hospital, would live. I remember them praying and having my sister and I pray that this man would be spared, and live.

My parents were sickened, that this man died, at their hands. Yes, he was drunk, yes he ran the light or the stop sign, yes, it was not my parents fault, yet to this very day, they are still haunted by it.

And even War, where you know the people you kill have been deemed your enemy, kill or be killed type of situations, many soldiers still come home with post tramatic stress syndrone and have issues, and many of these issues have to do with killing, killing that they have done and killing that has been done to their fellow soldier, their friends, in which they had been witnesses to.

:(

Gaffer
07-05-2007, 01:09 PM
JD I was not referring to accidental shootings. I was talking about someone threatening physical harm to me or anyone else that requires deadly force.

I'm very familiar with PTSD. I have known a lot of guys that suffered from it. I'm a combat vet myself and I have no guilt about anything I did. I can't count the number of firefights and battles I was involved in. Dwelling on it and putting yourself on a guilt trip achieves nothing. Most PTSD sufferers are over their friends getting killed or injured rather than what they did.

remie
07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
If you have never been faced with doing so I dont know how you would know for sure. What I am pretty sure of is that if someone was out to harm my children I could do it without blinking.

Gaffer
07-05-2007, 01:54 PM
If you have never been faced with doing so I dont know how you would know for sure. What I am pretty sure of is that if someone was out to harm my children I could do it without blinking.

That's true of most people. You really have to reflect on yourself and how easily do you panic in stress situations. But Dan's question also includes how are you going to deal with what you do afterwards. Are you going to spend your life on a guilt trip for doing what is necessary or put it behind you and go on with your life.

Pale Rider
07-05-2007, 01:54 PM
The day our government tries to disarm this nation, you can pretty much figure the game is over. Yup, I'll give up my weapons, barrel first, and spitting bullets.

Abbey Marie
07-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I think it would be pretty hard for me, BUT, if someone was threatenng to harm my daughter, my husband, or myself, and I could stop them, I'd do it in any way possible.

remie
07-05-2007, 03:09 PM
That's true of most people. You really have to reflect on yourself and how easily do you panic in stress situations. But Dan's question also includes how are you going to deal with what you do afterwards. Are you going to spend your life on a guilt trip for doing what is necessary or put it behind you and go on with your life.

I am not the panicy type and am very comfortable with firearms. If I felt strongly enough to blow somebody away I would do so with no regrets or guilt.

nevadamedic
07-05-2007, 03:49 PM

I don't believe in guns, but my opinion weigh's in on my best friend of 28 years putting a gun to his head and killing himself in 2003. I think that Law Enforcement and Military should be allowed to carry weapons on them concealed. Other then that people can have them for hunting(which im against) or home defense.

Abbey Marie
07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't believe in guns, but my opinion weigh's in on my best friend of 28 years putting a gun to his head and killing himself in 2003. I think that Law Enforcement and Military should be allowed to carry weapons on them concealed. Other then that people can have them for hunting(which im against) or home defense.

Nevada, if he didn't have gun, he would used a rope, or pills, or jumped off a bridge, like my husband's co-worker.

People who want to do themselves in, find a way.

nevadamedic
07-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Nevada, if he didn't have gun, he would used a rope, or pills, or jumped off a bridge, like my husband's co-worker.

I really doubt it, he was high on pot that's what drove him to do it. It would have worn off before he had a chance to hang himself.

Mr. P
07-05-2007, 04:20 PM

Yep, what she said. Get over it NM, it was your friend that killed himself he just chose a gun. The gun didn't choose him.

07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Depends on the situation. and i hope i never come across that situation.

Abbey Marie
07-05-2007, 07:35 PM
I really doubt it, he was high on pot that's what drove him to do it. It would have worn off before he had a chance to hang himself.

I think if that was my friend, and I was looking for something to blame for such a tragedy, I would blame the drugs more than the gun.

nevadamedic
07-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I think if that was my friend, and I was looking for something to blame for such a tragedy, I would blame the drugs more than the gun.

Actually I blame it on Him, Drugs and the gun.

82Marine89
07-05-2007, 07:45 PM

Not hard at all.

jackass
07-06-2007, 07:40 AM
If someone was trying to harm me or my family I would have NO regret in shooting someone. I am not a hunter and I have never been in any of the services...but I know I could do it if I needed to. I would have no regret to defending my kids.

Gunny
07-06-2007, 12:05 PM

I would, and have, and don't feel a damned thing about it.

And gaffer hit the nail on the head ... it's much easier to live with dropping the hammer on Iraqis than it is living with the self-imposed guilt felt for those you could not save.

jimnyc
07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Call me psychotic, but I don't think I'd have a problem with it at all. I'm scared of isolation in prison, otherwise there are a few people who I've come across over the years who I don't think I'd have an issue shooting or sliding a blade into. It's not that I'm anti-human or have no regard for life, it's just that THERE ARE people breathing my air who probably shouldn't be. :)

Unfortunately, 'ol Jim here has had his right to bear arms revoked. :(

jackass
07-06-2007, 07:15 PM

Is that possible??? And if so how??!?!?! :laugh2:

Gaffer
07-06-2007, 07:51 PM

A felony conviction will do it.

Pale Rider
07-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Never fear pard. There's more than one way to skin a cat... (I had to take this route myself...), http://www.1800duilaws.com/article/rehabilitation_pardon.asp

jimnyc
07-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Skeletons, Charles! Mine should have stayed in the closet!

A felony conviction will do it.

Yep, they sure as hell will. :(

Never fear pard. There's more than one way to skin a cat... (I had to take this route myself...), http://www.1800duilaws.com/article/rehabilitation_pardon.asp

Unfortunately, via the great state of NJ, I don't believe I qualify for expungement. There are exact criteria that must be met, under certain crimes. Not to mention a LOT of money to get this accomplished. This was many, many moons ago, but it's been haunting me ever since and has slowly taken over my life. Hard if not impossible to get certain jobs, and way too many rights taken away. I had a .22 caliber pistol at the time which was taken away never to be seen again. This is/was a demon in my life I thought I could get away from, but one way or another it comes back to haunt me.

No murder, manslaughter, or even DUI. Just a screwed up young man who liked to smoke the herb, more so than others!

Don't make me come clean with the whole damn story. Suffice to say, and I swear on anything Holy, what I had in my home was simply for myself. Never dealt, never wanted to, I was a stingy bastard. But when I got another score, I always kept what little that was left over from before. So you can imagine, after a year or so, you would have one large bag for consumption, and a bunch of little bags from prior purchases. Yep, you're starting to see it now, they accused me of dealing.

I wasn't raided, wasn't being watched, wasn't doing anything wrong other than enjoying some smoke in the confines of my own home when I could. A series of events lead the police to my home to retrieve the .22 pistol. Me, being the dumbass I was, kept it in a locked box. Yup, the very same box I kept my herb in. A little more confusing than that, but you get the idea.

6 months loss of license, $1500 fine & a conviction to haunt me to my grave.

Kinda feels good to write about it as I never talk about it, and it's been nearly 15 years now. I was a good kid. Fun to be with and always wanting to have a good time. Didn't get involved in anything but enjoying my recreational use of the herb. Shit happens one day, and the next you are fucked.

Trust me, there's a LOT more to this story but need not be said here. I was never a bad person. Just wanted to veg at times and enjoyed thinking I was a part of the 60's. Never hurt anyone but myself. I have visions of this great computer career, but in my dreams it's always wiped out by my stupidity, and I suffer that dream daily.

Straight A student
Tons of friends
Always the life of the party
Had my share of women
Excelled at Cittone & St. John's Uni.
Married
Son

But I'll forever be stuck as a bum because I smoked, and I'll never get to have my right to bear arms returned to me. :(

I know that's all confusing, but it still is to me too. But I'm not afraid to admit I made mistakes. I also think this is one of those times where the punishment exceeds the crime.

jimnyc
07-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Now I have myself wondering. Where would I be today if this never happened? How much of this has played into my bipolar and mania? Does my distaste for authority stem from this? I've convinced myself 300x over that I am a bad person and a loser, and it was just some smoke! Hell, some in the 60's probably smoked more in a day than I had in my house that fateful day.

On the other hand, am I friendlier to some as a result? Do I feel a bond with other "bad" people as a result? Do I not look down upon those less fortunate because I "know"?

Always thinking, always changing, but always end back up at the same place. Trying to do what I do best, and what I absolutely live for - computers. I excel at fixing them, servers, networks, laptops, home setups, project management... Chucky can vouch that I'm a little unwrapped, but also that I'm capable of getting any job done when I put my mind to it.

But this monkey has been on my back for so long that I feel like I'm stuck with him forever. And that I must remain unemployed, or clean toilets for a living simply because I made a mistake so many years ago - that hurt no one. But I did have it and I can't deny it. I may feel it was a bit harsh, but the law is the law, and no matter how naive I may claim to be, I knew all too well the penalties that came with the crimes.

I'm confused again! But open, and would answer any questions honestly as it actually feels good to be writing this.

But I guess here too, many will now see me in a different light. :(

OCA
07-06-2007, 09:51 PM

For the love of Christ! Against hunting too? You ain't no conservative, hunting is as American as apple pie.

OCA
07-06-2007, 09:52 PM

For chrissakes you believe some whacky shit, the weed didn't make him kill himself, he was weakminded thats why he ate the bullet.

OCA
07-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Now I have myself wondering. Where would I be today if this never happened? How much of this has played into my bipolar and mania? Does my distaste for authority stem from this? I've convinced myself 300x over that I am a bad person and a loser, and it was just some smoke! Hell, some in the 60's probably smoked more in a day than I had in my house that fateful day.

On the other hand, am I friendlier to some as a result? Do I feel a bond with other "bad" people as a result? Do I not look down upon those less fortunate because I "know"?

Always thinking, always changing, but always end back up at the same place. Trying to do what I do best, and what I absolutely live for - computers. I excel at fixing them, servers, networks, laptops, home setups, project management... Chucky can vouch that I'm a little unwrapped, but also that I'm capable of getting any job done when I put my mind to it.

But this monkey has been on my back for so long that I feel like I'm stuck with him forever. And that I must remain unemployed, or clean toilets for a living simply because I made a mistake so many years ago - that hurt no one. But I did have it and I can't deny it. I may feel it was a bit harsh, but the law is the law, and no matter how naive I may claim to be, I knew all too well the penalties that came with the crimes.

I'm confused again! But open, and would answer any questions honestly as it actually feels good to be writing this.

I fucking knew those were prison tats!

Nah Jimmy shit happens you know, truth be told i'd rather have a couple bong hits than a couple martinis but the risks of getting caught with weed far outweigh the risks of getting caught with a bottle of Grey Goose.

I don't understand the life revocation of owning firearms though, that seems way overboard unless..............you have a prior conviction you ain't letting us know about.

Does this have anything to do with the time at the Holland tunnell that Johnny told me about? You crazy motherfucker!:laugh2:

Anyway, I have no criminal record so I ain't gonna pretend that I know what its like trying to find work with a felony conviction on my resume but there has to be somebody out there willing to take a chance on someone with your demonstrated skills in computer science and educational background. I know i've asked you this before in person but I don't think you answered me.....are you pounding the job market with resumes or....and don't take this wrong Jimmy you know we are friends and you know i'm saying this because I care.......are you sitting on your ass at home feeling sorry for yourself? If its the latter you are too good for that.

nevadamedic
07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
For chrissakes you believe some whacky shit, the weed didn't make him kill himself, he was weakminded thats why he ate the bullet.

Your wrong on this one. He never would have done it if he wern't high. You don't know the situation and you have no right calling him weak minded.

stephanie
07-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Your wrong on this one. He never would have done it if he wern't high. You don't know the situation and you have no right calling him weak minded.

Then you shouldn't of told the story, if you didn't want it commented on..:slap:

I agree with Abbey...Your friend could of just as eaisly, gotten into a car and drove it off a cliff..

Does that mean we should ban all cars??

:poke:

I'm sorry to hear about your friend....
But you have to put things in perspective....

Abbey Marie
07-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Does this have anything to do with the time at the Holland tunnell that Johnny told me about?...:laugh2:

Oh no! Not the Holland Tunnell!

nevadamedic
07-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Then you shouldn't of told the story, if you didn't want it commented on..:slap:

I agree with Abbey...Your friend could of just as eaisly, gotten into a car and drove it off a cliff..

Does that mean we should ban all cars??

:poke:

I'm sorry to hear about your friend....
But you have to put things in perspective....

Being high clouded his judgement and several medical investigators who reviewed the case determined that as well.

stephanie
07-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Being high clouded his judgement and several medical investigators who reviewed the case determined that as well.

Ya know I love you...But..
I'm not going to argue this point with you....

We are talking guns, and if you can use one to save a life....

Now back to the topic at hand...

Absolutly, I can shoot someone who is threating me or my family...

I'm not sure how I would feel afterwards...But, I will know, I didn't ask to be put in that position.....

:cheers2:

Gaffer
07-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Felonies do create a lot of problems for people. You lose certain rights, depending on what state your in, and your not eligible for many jobs. A lot of companies won't hire you if you have a felony, no matter how minor the charge.

In your case Jim its definitely overkill. And it could have a lot to do with your other problems. The herb use may have kept the problems from surfacing or it may have been the source of the problems due to excessive use. But the only thing I see is you have a challenge to overcome. Sometimes you have to attack something from a different direction. Obstacles will always be thrown in your way. You just find a way around them.

A lot of times talking about things like this can help a lot. Kinda takes a load off you.

OCA
07-07-2007, 08:01 AM

All suicides, not just your friend's, come from weakminded people. It is my opinion that suicide is a gutless choice and the coward's way out. Sorry if that upsets you but Steph was right, don't post shit here if you aren't able to handle various kinds of comment on said post.

OCA
07-07-2007, 08:02 AM

Well then he would be the first suicide in the history of man to be caused by bong hits........come on now.

jackass
07-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Damn Jim, for the 3000x time over...you are NOT a bad person or a loser. Quite the opposite really. You are one of the least selfish people I have ever met. How many times do we have to go over this? :finger3:
I am SURE this is part of the reason that you are who you are. I have never seen you judge anyone less fortunate in a bad way. You are always willing to give someone the opportunity to prove that they are a good person at heart.

Hey..have you thought of making your own computers for people? Go to Tiger, get some barebones and sell them on E-bay or Craigslist? It something for now. Only thing is...you have to actually SELL them. :)

[/QUOTE]

I know this is going to sound cliche..but if you think youre a piece of shit...others will see you as a piece of shit. You ARE MUCH better than you let yourself be. YOU are the only one holding you back Jim.
Now go F*** yourself! :fu:

OCA
07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
YOU are the only one holding you back Jim.
[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what i've been telling him.

Jimmy, answer me 1 question honestly: do you put out resumes, fill out apps go on interviews or do you intend to then talk yourself out of it by saying "fuck it, i'm just a piece of shit felon asshole, they'll never hire me"?

Brother you got to get out there!

glockmail
07-07-2007, 04:48 PM
.... I also think this is one of those times where the punishment exceeds the crime.

That's a sad story, Jim. I use to smoke the weed myself, and its only due to God's grace that I didn't get canned for it.

I had a friend in college that had some in his glovebox when he was in an accident and got gaught with it. He's got the same record.

Don't let it get you down and move on with your life, is the only advice I can offer.

Abbey Marie
07-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Glock is so right. Almost everyone has done things they are darn lucky they didn't get caught doing. And for what you did, you deserve a second chance. And a third, etc.

nevadamedic
07-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Damn Jim, for the 3000x time over...you are NOT a bad person or a loser. Quite the opposite really. You are one of the least selfish people I have ever met. How many times do we have to go over this? :finger3:
I am SURE this is part of the reason that you are who you are. I have never seen you judge anyone less fortunate in a bad way. You are always willing to give someone the opportunity to prove that they are a good person at heart.

Hey..have you thought of making your own computers for people? Go to Tiger, get some barebones and sell them on E-bay or Craigslist? It something for now. Only thing is...you have to actually SELL them. :)

I know this is going to sound cliche..but if you think youre a piece of shit...others will see you as a piece of shit. You ARE MUCH better than you let yourself be. YOU are the only one holding you back Jim.
Now go F*** yourself! :fu:[/QUOTE]

You can actually goto www.computergeeks.com and you can get stuff on there a heck of a lot cheaper then Tiger. You can also get home electronics and a ton of other misc. items.

nevadamedic
07-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Well then he would be the first suicide in the history of man to be caused by bong hits........come on now.

That's not true. It is just like alcohol, it messes you up and you don't think right on it.

nevadamedic
07-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Glock is so right. Almost everyone has done things they are darn lucky they didn't get caught doing. And for what you did, you deserve a second chance. And a third, etc.

I've done a ton of things in the past im glad I didn't get caught doing. :laugh2:

JohnDoe
07-08-2007, 05:18 AM

Jim,

YOU should be pardoned. Can you get a lawyer to apply for the pardon?

We could start the JIMNYC LEGAL DEFENSE FUND, :) to help you get the money to do this.... I am uncertain on the circumstances, because I have started reading this thread from the bottom, moving upwards towards the beginning, but was your "crime" per say, Federal or was it a State Law?

Get yourself a lawyer, fill out the lengthy paperwork and apply for a pardon with the State or with the President, depending on whether your charge was federal or State.

I know it may seem like this is a waste of time, but it isn't. Many drug crimes are the crimes that ARE PARDONED the most. And if this is only about weed, then your chances are even greater.

Even if you don't get a pardon, it will be on your record that you are trying, which will show to a future employer, that you care enough about yourself, to make this effort to be a part of our supposedly "legitimate" society again.

You are NOT a loser, I can tell this already, and I am still a newbie.

jimnyc
07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, both in this thread and via PM. Let me be clear though, I was certainly not looking for any sympathy. I'm a grown boy, and was when this happened too, so I can live with my mistakes. It still has it's way of affecting my life but I don't expect others to sympathize over something I willingly did to myself.

I'll post more on this issue and seek some insight from others, just not at this very moment. It's about 4,000 degrees here in my computer room and I don't need to raise my temperature any more!

jackass
07-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, both in this thread and via PM. Let me be clear though, I was certainly not looking for any sympathy. I'm a grown boy, and was when this happened too, so I can live with my mistakes. It still has it's way of affecting my life but I don't expect others to sympathize over something I willingly did to myself.

I'll post more on this issue and seek some insight from others, just not at this very moment. It's about 4,000 degrees here in my computer room and I don't need to raise my temperature any more!

F sympathy!! If I had known about this when we were working together I would have never let you live it down!! :finger3:

jimnyc
07-09-2007, 04:15 PM
F sympathy!! If I had known about this when we were working together I would have never let you live it down!! :finger3:

Never fear, you verbally abused me enough without this knowledge, ya POS!