PDA

View Full Version : Brother against Brother, or Brethren against Brethren?

JohnDoe
07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I was wondering if any of you have thought about the prophesy of the end times that speeks about Brother being against Brother?

Brother, is usually a term used in the Bible as a Fellow Christian or a Fellow Jew.

I see this prediction as meaning, Christian will be against Christian.

As a devout Christian, who usually votes Democratic, there has been MUCH hatred thrown out at me, by supposedly, fellow Christians on the Right side of the political aisle over the past few years.

So, imo, I think the passage regarding Brother against Brother, is talking about us, fellow Christians, NOT being Christianlike and actually hating fellow Christians. (And this is not on my part, because I honestly don't hate any of you)

But if this is so and Brother against Brother is meant to describe being a time when Christian is against Christian, if we find ourselves as one of these Christians being against, and hating another Christian....

Then are we REALLY the followers of the Beast in Revelation 13, instead of true followers of Christ, the man of forgiveness and Peace?

Monkeybone
07-05-2007, 08:56 AM
it could mean that. just because someone goes to church or believes in God also doesn't make them a Christian.

it could also be just a term for man against man or people of the same country against each other. cause aren't we brothers in the American sense?

it could even go as far just to be saying that, the times will be so bad that even brothers would turn against each other, because time would be so chaotic and everything

JohnDoe
07-05-2007, 09:00 AM
it could mean that. just because someone goes to church or believes in God also doesn't make them a Christian.

it could also be just a term for man against man or people of the same country against each other. cause aren't we brothers in the American sense?

it could even go as far just to be saying that, the times will be so bad that even brothers would turn against each other, because time would be so chaotic and everything

Very good points, and all of the above does seem more appropriate?

07-05-2007, 04:42 PM
you want to be specific for what prophecy you are talking about? i find it simply pointless to discuss something with no reference.

5stringJeff
07-09-2007, 10:01 PM
I was wondering if any of you have thought about the prophesy of the end times that speeks about Brother being against Brother?

Brother, is usually a term used in the Bible as a Fellow Christian or a Fellow Jew.

I see this prediction as meaning, Christian will be against Christian.

As a devout Christian, who usually votes Democratic, there has been MUCH hatred thrown out at me, by supposedly, fellow Christians on the Right side of the political aisle over the past few years.

So, imo, I think the passage regarding Brother against Brother, is talking about us, fellow Christians, NOT being Christianlike and actually hating fellow Christians. (And this is not on my part, because I honestly don't hate any of you)

But if this is so and Brother against Brother is meant to describe being a time when Christian is against Christian, if we find ourselves as one of these Christians being against, and hating another Christian....

Then are we REALLY the followers of the Beast in Revelation 13, instead of true followers of Christ, the man of forgiveness and Peace?

I think you are misinterpreting that passage. Here it is in its entirety:

"But be on your guard; for they will deliver you to the courts, and you will be flogged in the synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them. The gospel must first be preached to all the nations. When they arrest you and hand you over, do not worry beforehand about what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but it is the Holy Spirit. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by all because of My name, but the one who endures to the end, he will be saved." (Mark 13:9-13, emphasis added)

The same word "brother" can mean both a blood relationship between two boys born to the same parents, or a spiritual relationship between two people of the same faith, and Jesus used the word both ways. However, because Jesus is talking about other family relations in the same sentence (i.e. father, children, parents), then we can assume the word brother here also refers to a blood relation.

I interpret the passage to mean that Christians will be rejected by their non-Christian family members in the last days.

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 02:04 AM

"But be on your guard; for they will deliver you to the courts, and you will be flogged in the synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them. The gospel must first be preached to all the nations. When they arrest you and hand you over, do not worry beforehand about what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but it is the Holy Spirit. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by all because of My name, but the one who endures to the end, he will be saved." (Mark 13:9-13, emphasis added)

The same word "brother" can mean both a blood relationship between two boys born to the same parents, or a spiritual relationship between two people of the same faith, and Jesus used the word both ways. However, because Jesus is talking about other family relations in the same sentence (i.e. father, children, parents), then we can assume the word brother here also refers to a blood relation.

I interpret the passage to mean that Christians will be rejected by their non-Christian family members in the last days.

Well Said............. :clap:

JohnDoe
07-10-2007, 08:24 AM

Well Thought out Answer Jeff and this does make sense that it would be a brother in the blood sense. Thanks.

Psychoblues
07-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Only if it is your blood, JD.

Well Thought out Answer Jeff and this does make sense that it would be a brother in the blood sense. Thanks.

These chickenhawks couldn't win a knuckle chuck contest with a one armed fighter.