PDA

View Full Version : Former Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler dies

namvet
07-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Ken Stabler, who quarterbacked the Oakland Raiders to a win in Super Bowl XI has died at the age of 69, the Raiders confirmed Thursday. The University of Alabama passed along a statement from the family, which says Stabler died of colon cancer.

Stabler, nicknamed "The Snake," was a four-time Pro Bowler in the NFL. He won two NCAA titles as a backup quarterback at Alabama, and led the 1966 team to an undefeated record.

story (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000500866/article/former-raiders-quarterback-ken-stabler-dies)

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11698600_1693496417538474_4236421353283761716_n.jp g?oh=63577fe4f4bfbbf78c78b88e51183b7b&oe=5617A8E2

Jeff
07-10-2015, 06:59 AM
May he R.I.P.

I hate to hear this, I liked him back in the day.

sundaydriver
07-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Meanwhile Fred bilitnikoff is smoking a butt on the sidelines.

jimnyc
07-10-2015, 08:11 AM
RIP Snake, and thanks for some great memories when I was a kid!!

Voted4Reagan
07-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Stabler versus Bradshaw
Stabler versus Namath
Stabler versus Staubach
Stabler versus Griese
Stabler versus Tarkenton
Stabler versus Bert Jones
Stabler versus Ferguson
Stabler versus Fouts
Stabler versus Archie Manning
Stabler versus Ken Anderson

This guy played against the BEST every time out... and beat all of them.

He was even Joe Namaths Backup at Alabama!!

RIP Snake... we'll miss ya...

namvet
07-10-2015, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbca0EncfW4

jimnyc
07-10-2015, 09:05 AM
^^ The first minute of that video is absolutely awesome!! :)

namvet
07-10-2015, 09:16 AM
he was the left handed gun and a master at the 2 min drill

Gunny
07-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Stabler versus Bradshaw
Stabler versus Namath
Stabler versus Staubach
Stabler versus Griese
Stabler versus Tarkenton
Stabler versus Bert Jones
Stabler versus Ferguson
Stabler versus Fouts
Stabler versus Archie Manning
Stabler versus Ken Anderson

This guy played against the BEST every time out... and beat all of them.

He was even Joe Namaths Backup at Alabama!!

RIP Snake... we'll miss ya...

No he didn't. I hated him and the 70's Raiders. Only dirtier team was the Deadskins.

But just because Art Shell didn't like him, I did. About as brilliant as Jerry Jones letting Jimmy Johnson go.

I hated every game he played against the Steelers. RIP nonetheless. The Steelers wouldn't have been as good as they were without worthy opponents.

Gunny
07-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Oh, and I have his, Staubach's and Bradshaw's rookie cards. :)

jimnyc
07-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Oh, and I have his, Staubach's and Bradshaw's rookie cards. :)

Gimme Terry's card. I have a 1995 Neil O'donnell card you can have for it. :laugh:

revelarts
07-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Madden, Stabler and Alzado, my Team back in the day.

I was in college in Pittsburgh when they won the Super Bowl as the wildcard team. MY RAIDERS.
Man got on those Steeler fans nerves. Pittsburgh fans had the Biggest head in those days. They were looking for a 5th Super Bowl win at the time. AND Tony Dorrest had been at University of Pittsburgh years earlier and they were still living off the fumes of that.

yeah the Raiders were a little dirty sometime... that's true ....but .... but. ok yeah

jimnyc
07-10-2015, 04:09 PM
It's been so long, I haven't heard "Lyle Alzado" in years!

The Raiders back then were just a team that everyone loved to hate. Nothing worse than a team who poked a few eyes, and was also a damn good team. If they sucked it would be easy to laugh off. But with the Snake, and Fred, and a solid D... Man I hated that team! :laugh:

namvet
07-10-2015, 04:09 PM
im a Chiefs fan. but i was in Nam when they won it all in 69.

namvet
07-10-2015, 04:10 PM
It's been so long, I haven't heard "Lyle Alzado" in years!

The Raiders back then were just a team that everyone loved to hate. Nothing worse than a team who poked a few eyes, and was also a damn good team. If they sucked it would be easy to laugh off. But with the Snake, and Fred, and a solid D... Man I hated that team! :laugh:

Faiders is their new name

Gunny
07-10-2015, 04:22 PM
im a Chiefs fan. but i was in Nam when they won it all in 69.

No shit. When the Plowboys won their first Superbowl I lived in Greece. How does AFRTS sound to you? We got the game a year later.

namvet
07-10-2015, 04:27 PM
No shit. When the Plowboys won their first Superbowl I lived in Greece. How does AFRTS sound to you? We got the game a year later.

a year??? we were at sea and had to get up around 3am to listen in on AFRTS

revelarts
07-10-2015, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZvEaRc0k2U

Gunny
07-10-2015, 04:38 PM
a year??? we were at sea and had to get up around 3am to listen in on AFRTS

That would be the Falcons and whoever they played. 2AM.

Admit it ... you liked AFRTS. Dynasty and Bowling For Dollars.:laugh:

namvet
07-10-2015, 04:41 PM
That would be the Falcons and whoever they played. 2AM.

Admit it ... you liked AFRTS. Dynasty and Bowling For Dollars.:laugh:

yes we did but the Navy was not keen on radios. we got permission to take a receiver off line and pump the game thru the ship. I saw MAA's snatch radio's out of guys hands and throw em over the side. same with camera's.

Gunny
07-10-2015, 04:43 PM
yes we did but the Navy was not keen on radios. we got permission to take a receiver off line and pump the game thru the ship. I saw MAA's snatch radio's out of guys hands and throw em over the side. same with camera's.

We got Army comm in Oki.

And no shit about the Navy. They acted like they owned that shit.:laugh:

And the Navy was keen on radios. You only needed 15 batteries to get one to work in a Prick 77.

namvet
07-10-2015, 05:04 PM
We got Army comm in Oki.

And no shit about the Navy. They acted like they owned that shit.:laugh:

And the Navy was keen on radios. You only needed 15 batteries to get one to work in a Prick 77.

AFRS was all we could get out there. and as we moved up and down the coast it faded out. all that was left was a bunch a buck tooth gookers screaming and yelling. probably cussin us a blue streak. tape recorders were real popular. especially reel to reels and 8 tracks

Gunny
07-10-2015, 05:13 PM
AFRS was all we could get out there. and as we moved up and down the coast it faded out. all that was left was a bunch a buck tooth gookers screaming and yelling. probably cussin us a blue streak. tape recorders were real popular. especially reel to reels and 8 tracks

Yeah, I remember that channel. One if you don't speak Japanese.

SO there I was, getting a haircut on the anniversary of bombing Nagasaki. This little slope has a razor to my neck while we watch B-29's blow up his ville. Comfy wouldn't be a good word.:laugh:

namvet
07-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I remember that channel. One if you don't speak Japanese.

SO there I was, getting a haircut on the anniversary of bombing Nagasaki. This little slope has a razor to my neck while we watch B-29's blow up his ville. Comfy wouldn't be a good word.:laugh:

now that's living on the edge depending on what she looks like

http://goldsea.com/Text/images/3456.jpg

Elessar
07-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Ken Stabler, who quarterbacked the Oakland Raiders to a win in Super Bowl XI has died at the age of 69, the Raiders confirmed Thursday. The University of Alabama passed along a statement from the family, which says Stabler died of colon cancer.

Stabler, nicknamed "The Snake," was a four-time Pro Bowler in the NFL. He won two NCAA titles as a backup quarterback at Alabama, and led the 1966 team to an undefeated record.

story (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000500866/article/former-raiders-quarterback-ken-stabler-dies)

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11698600_1693496417538474_4236421353283761716_n.jp g?oh=63577fe4f4bfbbf78c78b88e51183b7b&oe=5617A8E2

Damn...RIP....I Liked Him a lot when the Raiders were a quality team.

Elessar
07-10-2015, 06:27 PM
No he didn't. I hated him and the 70's Raiders. Only dirtier team was the Deadskins.

But just because Art Shell didn't like him, I did. About as brilliant as Jerry Jones letting Jimmy Johnson go.

I hated every game he played against the Steelers. RIP nonetheless. The Steelers wouldn't have been as good as they were without worthy opponents.

You are indeed insane.

Philly Eagles were far dirtier in the 70's and 80's than the Redskins.

Jerry Jones is and always will be a fool. He destroyed what Tex Schramm built and brought
in cheap, criminal, and over-hyped ghetto-boy shit-heads.

He fired the best coach in that era via a phone call.

Redskins dirty? Bullshit! I Fly my Redskins banners high.

Voted4Reagan
07-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Two Words why the JETS FANS hated the RAIDERS...... AL DAVIS

Rat
07-11-2015, 04:58 AM
Sad news. I been Raiders fan all life and Stabler was favorite qb. Much memories seeing Snake throw to Biletnikoff, Branch, and Casper.

Descanse en paz.

Gunny
07-17-2015, 04:00 PM
You are indeed insane.

Philly Eagles were far dirtier in the 70's and 80's than the Redskins.

Jerry Jones is and always will be a fool. He destroyed what Tex Schramm built and brought
in cheap, criminal, and over-hyped ghetto-boy shit-heads.

He fired the best coach in that era via a phone call.

Redskins dirty? Bullshit! I Fly my Redskins banners high.

So how does that make me insane? The Eagles weren't good enough to be dirty in the 70's.

Tom Landry WAS the best coach in football IN HIS DAY. The game had passed him by and he was trying to use 60s-70s ideas in the late 80s. He came up with a new strategy and everyone set out to beat it. Problem is, he kept trying the same old thing expecting different results. His mentor, Paul Brown, got fired from the Cleveland Clowns for the same reason.

The Redskins suck. They always have and always will. My idea of a perfect football game is the Deadskins vs the Beagles and the Earth opens up and swallows both teams.

Gunny
07-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Two Words why the JETS FANS hated the RAIDERS...... AL DAVIS

Al Davis, Art Modell and Jerry Jones are the worst 3 things to ever happen to pro football.

Gunny
07-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Sad news. I been Raiders fan all life and Stabler was favorite qb. Much memories seeing Snake throw to Biletnikoff, Branch, and Casper.

Descanse en paz.

You left out Lester Hayes. What a wonderful guy he was.

I wasn't being disrespectful. You are defined more by your enemies than your friends. The Raiders in the 70s were worthy opponents.

A better memory than yours ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMuUBZ_DAeM

Rat
07-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Gunny. Lester Hayes was CB not WR.

Gunny
07-21-2015, 12:18 AM
Gunny. Lester Hayes was CB not WR.

I know what he played. Did I post something wrong? That'll be a not quite first. This week.:laugh:

Fred Biletnikoff was their WR. Dude used more stickum than a bubble gum machine.

Jeff
07-21-2015, 06:31 AM
So how does that make me insane? The Eagles weren't good enough to be dirty in the 70's.

Tom Landry WAS the best coach in football IN HIS DAY. The game had passed him by and he was trying to use 60s-70s ideas in the late 80s. He came up with a new strategy and everyone set out to beat it. Problem is, he kept trying the same old thing expecting different results. His mentor, Paul Brown, got fired from the Cleveland Clowns for the same reason.

The Redskins suck. They always have and always will. My idea of a perfect football game is the Deadskins vs the Beagles and the Earth opens up and swallows both teams.

I know what he played. Did I post something wrong? That'll be a not quite first. This week.:laugh:

Fred Biletnikoff was their WR. Dude used more stickum than a bubble gum machine.

Yes you sure did, Don Shula was the best coach back then and his records still speak for themselves. :thumb:

Gunny
07-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Yes you sure did, Don Shula was the best coach back then and his records still speak for themselves. :thumb:

I lived in Miami then. Shula was a great coach. Landry and Shula let the game pass them by. And it was a different game. They didn't have to deal with free agency; which, IMO, ruined the game.

And I'm thinking that 24-3 drubbing by the Cowboys wasn't exactly his brightest moment.

I can tell you this from 1974 -- Earl Moral QB'd almost every game that season. Griese was out with an injury. I thought it was unfair as Hell Shula used Moral all season then popped Griese in during the playoffs. Regardless, defense decided who won and lost back then. As a former defensive player, I LOVED it. And Larry Csonka. He was a monster. He could fall down and gain 5 yards.

Jeff
07-21-2015, 07:29 AM
I lived in Miami then. Shula was a great coach. Landry and Shula let the game pass them by. And it was a different game. They didn't have to deal with free agency; which, IMO, ruined the game.

And I'm thinking that 24-3 drubbing by the Cowboys wasn't exactly his brightest moment.

I can tell you this from 1974 -- Earl Moral QB'd almost every game that season. Griese was out with an injury. I thought it was unfair as Hell Shula used Moral all season then popped Griese in during the playoffs. Regardless, defense decided who won and lost back then. As a former defensive player, I LOVED it. And Larry Csonka. He was a monster. He could fall down and gain 5 yards.

Agree with just about all you said, Csonka was a animal no doubt, but even though Moral did a great job you still bring in the big guns when it's all on the line.

Gunny
07-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Agree with just about all you said, Csonka was a animal no doubt, but even though Moral did a great job you still bring in the big guns when it's all on the line.

Moral was actually the better QB. Defense and a running game made the Dolphins back then. Their defense gave them that perfect season. And I watched every game. Back then then, you got 5 channels and like anywhere else, if you live in Miami, you're watching the Dolphins. (The suckiest place was San Diego). I actually have autographed cards from Dolphin players. They would come out to base every once in awhile.

Back on track ... I can throw as well as Bob Griese. All he had to do was not screw up. Didn't he get sacked for about 40 yards by Chuck Howley? I don't recall, but it was a record at the time. :laugh:

Jeff
07-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Moral was actually the better QB. Defense and a running game made the Dolphins back then. Their defense gave them that perfect season. And I watched every game. Back then then, you got 5 channels and like anywhere else, if you live in Miami, you're watching the Dolphins. (The suckiest place was San Diego). I actually have autographed cards from Dolphin players. They would come out to base every once in awhile.

Back on track ... I can throw as well as Bob Griese. All he had to do was not screw up. Didn't he get sacked for about 40 yards by Chuck Howley? I don't recall, but it was a record at the time. :laugh:

Not real sure about that record but I sure enough remember the 5 channels, :laugh: we got the Jets or Giants most Sundays, unless of course they both played at 1 or one played Monday night, then we would get another game. :laugh::laugh:

Gunny
07-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Not real sure about that record but I sure enough remember the 5 channels, :laugh: we got the Jets or Giants most Sundays, unless of course they both played at 1 or one played Monday night, then we would get another game. :laugh::laugh:

The always came on channel 4 in Miami. Monday night football on the East coast was a no-go. Starts at 8 or 9 and ends at 1 AM. I do remember as a teenager though dragging my black and white TV under the covers to watch late night stuff. And yes, I had tinfoil on the antennas.

If I had to watch Jets and Giants games I'd have jumped into the Hudson. Screw THAT.:laugh: