PDA

View Full Version : Planked Salmon

BJ_WA
07-12-2015, 10:05 AM
This is what I do with salmon. I get cedar shakes from a scrap pile at the hardware store, soak them with water, and smoke cook the salmon on the the middle of the grill. I was out of alder chunks so last night used cherry and plum for smoke. The cedar smells great when the salmon is cooking but aluminum foil works just as well and the salmon cooks faster not having the wood for insulation. This is a coho should from a fish I caught last summer.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7485&stc=1

jimnyc
07-12-2015, 10:55 AM
I never even thought of trying to smoke things in that manner, what an awesome idea. Would that work if you plopped a few steaks on there too? Hell, I was thinking about a smoker someday, but if I could do that every now and again!

BJ_WA
07-12-2015, 02:28 PM
When I do steaks and burgers I'll bank the coals to one side and sear the meat over the coals, then move it to the cool side of the grill and leave the lid on for awhile till the are medium to rare. I'll see if I can find a picture.

A lot of this I learned by trial and error but the booklet that comes with the Weber has a lot of basics. At least the experimenting is good to eat.

BJ_WA
07-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Here are some lamb chops I did recently using that method.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7486&stc=1

BJ_WA
07-13-2015, 12:01 AM
jimnyc - here is a pan seared salmon recipe a friend found and tried.

He said next time he'd cut back on the lemon juice and sour cream and cook the fish longer. I'd try this recipe with about any fish.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/pan-seared-salmon-with-sour-cream-and-dill-recipe.html

Voted4Reagan
07-13-2015, 05:24 AM
DO NOT USE CEDAR...It can have toxic oils in it.

stick to hickory...

Jeff
07-13-2015, 05:51 AM
I never even thought of trying to smoke things in that manner, what an awesome idea. Would that work if you plopped a few steaks on there too? Hell, I was thinking about a smoker someday, but if I could do that every now and again!

When I do steaks and burgers I'll bank the coals to one side and sear the meat over the coals, then move it to the cool side of the grill and leave the lid on for awhile till the are medium to rare. I'll see if I can find a picture.

A lot of this I learned by trial and error but the booklet that comes with the Weber has a lot of basics. At least the experimenting is good to eat.

Jim when doing the steaks I do as BJ does, except I buy the smoking chips from the store, you soak them in water ( I usually do it for 4 hours up to a day ) and add twice as many as they tell you once the charcoal is ready to cook on, then I just cook the steaks normally, they come out with that Hickory smoked taste. Not perfect but pretty dang good.

BJ_WA
07-13-2015, 08:41 AM
DO NOT USE CEDAR...It can have toxic oils in it.

stick to hickory...

I've not heard this before - most grocery and hardware stores here in the NW carry commercial cedar planks just for cooking salmon. I'd never use cedar for the basic smoke but one can get some smoldering of the cedar which smells great and some can detect it on the fish. A lot of restaurants out here do salmon on cedar planes, aw well.

I can get free cherry, apple, and plum so that's what I use mostly. As common as alder is I have no source so buy it, as well as hickory and mesquite. I use big chunks and don't worry about soaking as the heat dries them out so fast anyway. After the lid goes on the fire dies down and they smolder and smoke just as well. I will buy some hickory chips for the bacon making project I have planned.

Gunny
07-13-2015, 01:18 PM
I've not heard this before - most grocery and hardware stores here in the NW carry commercial cedar planks just for cooking salmon. I'd never use cedar for the basic smoke but one can get some smoldering of the cedar which smells great and some can detect it on the fish. A lot of restaurants out here do salmon on cedar planes, aw well.

I can get free cherry, apple, and plum so that's what I use mostly. As common as alder is I have no source so buy it, as well as hickory and mesquite. I use big chunks and don't worry about soaking as the heat dries them out so fast anyway. After the lid goes on the fire dies down and they smolder and smoke just as well. I will buy some hickory chips for the bacon making project I have planned.

I can give you all sorts of things wrong with this operation.

One, you live around my brother. Seattle Way?

Two, I'm allergic to cedar.

Three, I hate fish.

Now if you want to throw a cow on the BBQ, we can be acquaintances. You have to bring your own beer though. Nobody lets me drink shit anymore. :laugh:

BJ_WA
07-13-2015, 02:16 PM
It's good to know - I'm allergic to some trees and grasses but burning on the grill or as a cooking method never seems to bother me.

I do good steaks and seldom drink beer but when I do.... never mind. I've got plenty of wine. The next time you are in town to visit your brother, give me a shout, I'll throw some meat on the grille.

Gunny
07-13-2015, 02:43 PM
It's good to know - I'm allergic to some trees and grasses but burning on the grill or as a cooking method never seems to bother me.

I do good steaks and seldom drink beer but when I do.... never mind. I've got plenty of wine. The next time you are in town to visit your brother, give me a shout, I'll throw some meat on the grille.

We won't have to argue over that wine crap. I drank Wild Turkey straight. Managed to piss of everyone in the universe. Ask anyone on the board. Jim, DMP, Kathianne, abbey, namvet ...

Everyone has a skill set. Mine's pissing everyone off.

Now back to this BBQ stuff ... I can do a mean flat iron steak and I'm hell on a brisquette. :)

BJ_WA
07-13-2015, 02:58 PM
It sounds like you do a good job of it, pissing folks off. :-)

I've not done a flat iron but recently rediscovered chuck steaks.
I like a piece of meat with some body to it and they marinade well.

I love a brisket but only do one a year. I'd rather do a pulled pork.

Gunny
07-15-2015, 05:53 AM

Flat irons are one of the leanest meats you can get, and one of the lest expensive. The don't come out as tough as round or sirloin and you don't have to deal with chewing the fat in a chuck.

I like pulled pork but I'm a Texan. We grow up on beef. I don't even know how to cook a pig. Pork is more a Southern than Southwestern thing. I can smoke ribs though.

Jeff
07-15-2015, 06:13 AM

Yup he sure enough can piss folks off. :laugh:

OK quit it's early in the morning and I am getting hungry. :laugh:

Flat irons are one of the leanest meats you can get, and one of the lest expensive. The don't come out as tough as round or sirloin and you don't have to deal with chewing the fat in a chuck.

I like pulled pork but I'm a Texan. We grow up on beef. I don't even know how to cook a pig. Pork is more a Southern than Southwestern thing. I can smoke ribs though.
Gunny come on to GA and I will show you what a good Pig Pickin is, with plenty of cold beer of course, and lets not forget the ol Mason jars. :cool: Heck BJ come on with him, but you will have to bring your own wine, I just don't care for it myself.

Voted4Reagan
07-15-2015, 07:55 AM
Cedar Oil is used as an Insecticide and Fungicide. A friend of mine just walked on cedar chips a few days ago and their feet are now swollen and irritated.

Yes... Cedar smells nice... but there is a reason they used it to line closets to protect clothing.

It can kill insects. and is a severe irritant to some humans.

fj1200
07-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Cedar Oil is used as an Insecticide and Fungicide. A friend of mine just walked on cedar chips a few days ago and their feet are now swollen and irritated.

Yes... Cedar smells nice... but there is a reason they used it to line closets to protect clothing.

It can kill insects. and is a severe irritant to some humans.

Wheat is an irritant to some humans. Nevertheless:

Cedar plank cooking is always done on Western Red Cedar boards. Eastern cedar is not safe to cook on, it can contain toxic resins!
http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/cedar-plank-cooking.html

Voted4Reagan
07-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Wheat is an irritant to some humans. Nevertheless:

http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/cedar-plank-cooking.html

Western Red Cedar is just as Dangerous....

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/western-red-cedar-warning-17181/

fj1200
07-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Western Red Cedar is just as Dangerous....

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/western-red-cedar-warning-17181/

Sawdust exposure is different than cooking on it.

Kathianne
07-15-2015, 09:03 AM
If using 'food grade' cedar, you're safe:

http://www.ehow.com/info_7965797_health-risks-cedar-plank-roasting.html

BJ_WA
07-15-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm from Iowa, we grew up on beef and pork and harbour no animosity for folks that won't, can't or don't broaden their culinary predilections. With that said, I'd rather eat beef exclusively. I have an acquaintance that won't eat anything but wild caught fish and game. He's wealthy, has connections to a local tribe, and they keep him stocked in deer and elk.

Thanks for the research on cedar. I'll go over it and make a note.

Gunny
07-15-2015, 12:59 PM
This is what I do with salmon. I get cedar shakes from a scrap pile at the hardware store, soak them with water, and smoke cook the salmon on the the middle of the grill. I was out of alder chunks so last night used cherry and plum for smoke. The cedar smells great when the salmon is cooking but aluminum foil works just as well and the salmon cooks faster not having the wood for insulation. This is a coho should from a fish I caught last summer.

Hope that life insurance policy is up to snuff.:laugh:

Gunny
07-15-2015, 01:01 PM

I keep trying to tell you that you're a yankee. :laugh:

You can buy mesquite or hickory at the store, soak them for awhile then add them to your fire.

Jeff
07-15-2015, 01:05 PM
I keep trying to tell you that you're a yankee. :laugh:

You can buy mesquite or hickory at the store, soak them for awhile then add them to your fire.

Wally World, K mart they all sell the sheot. :laugh:

And more than likley they sell the planks as well, not positive on that the ol lady has picked it up I just wasn't with her.

BJ_WA
07-15-2015, 02:54 PM
The shakes I get are not treated with anything and fresh from local shake makers.

Anything in excess will kill you, even Wild Turkey.

Elessar
07-15-2015, 03:54 PM

I use non-stick foil when I cook Salmon and Steelehead, but will try this planked method.!

Thanks for the tip!

Elessar
07-15-2015, 03:56 PM
We won't have to argue over that wine crap. I drank Wild Turkey straight. Managed to piss of everyone in the universe. Ask anyone on the board. Jim, DMP, Kathianne, abbey, namvet ...

Everyone has a skill set. Mine's pissing everyone off.

Now back to this BBQ stuff ... I can do a mean flat iron steak and I'm hell on a brisquette. :)

Wild Turkey: Kickin' Chicken....good sippin' whiskey!

BJ_WA
07-15-2015, 06:10 PM
I use non-stick foil when I cook Salmon and Steelehead, but will try this planked method.!

Thanks for the tip!

If you can get some alder planks at the hardware store, try them. My bud in OR swears by them.

I don't always use cedar planks but use aluminum foil as you do.

I did't get a steelhead I could keep this past year.

Gunny
07-15-2015, 06:49 PM
OK quit it's early in the morning and I am getting hungry. :laugh:

Gunny come on to GA and I will show you what a good Pig Pickin is, with plenty of cold beer of course, and lets not forget the ol Mason jars. :cool: Heck BJ come on with him, but you will have to bring your own wine, I just don't care for it myself.

You mean I can bring my own Gatorade? And half my family's from NE Alabama. I probably know some dirt roads you don't. I just never learned to cook a pig. I can make some pretty good shine though. My family didn't get through the depression growing turnips. :laugh:

Jeff
07-16-2015, 06:58 AM
The shakes I get are not treated with anything and fresh from local shake makers.

Say it ain't so. :laugh:

Anything that taste good will kill ya in the long run to. :laugh:

Jeff
07-16-2015, 07:01 AM
You mean I can bring my own Gatorade? And half my family's from NE Alabama. I probably know some dirt roads you don't. I just never learned to cook a pig. I can make some pretty good shine though. My family didn't get through the depression growing turnips. :laugh:

Well come on, we can cook the pig and well em brew up some fine beverages as well. :thumb:

Gunny
07-16-2015, 12:45 PM

You don't have to explain the Wild Turkey part to me. I got plenty of OJT in that department.:laugh:

Gunny
07-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Well come on, we can cook the pig and well em brew up some fine beverages as well. :thumb:

Are you kidding? I ain't allowed to have that stuff anymore. Once you cross that line, there's NO going back. People tend to tolerate me better when I'm not the angriest ass on the planet.:laugh:

The BBQ is a go though.

Jeff
07-17-2015, 05:49 AM
Are you kidding? I ain't allowed to have that stuff anymore. Once you cross that line, there's NO going back. People tend to tolerate me better when I'm not the angriest ass on the planet.:laugh:

The BBQ is a go though.

Come this weekend Bro, we are having quite a few runs for Southern Heritage, I think that nastiness may come in handy. :laugh:

OOO and just for shits and giggles, some of the sheot you say while peaking cracks me up, same shit we all want to say you just get straight to the point.

Liquor = truth serum.

Gunny
07-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Come this weekend Bro, we are having quite a few runs for Southern Heritage, I think that nastiness may come in handy. :laugh:

OOO and just for shits and giggles, some of the sheot you say while peaking cracks me up, same shit we all want to say you just get straight to the point.

Liquor = truth serum.

I'm only so dumb, dude. I got too crazy on a bike in the 70s and am STILL paying for it.

I get straight to point because that's just me. Liquor + Gunny = jail. Anyone else goes to the ER. Not to mention your brother is unappreciative of me exercising my "drunk n posting" skillset.

If you got sweet tea I'll be fine.

I'd go with you in a second. I'll just be "that" guy behind y'all in the 1 ton red GMC that only the fans of Fast and Furious think is invisible. They fit UNDER my bumper.:laugh:

BJ_WA
07-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Now that's under the bumper, back to salmon.

This is a local favorite and will try this recipe next week.

http://www.marthastewart.com/315604/johns-cedar-plank-roasted-salmon

Please pass the iced tea, no sugar. :wine:

Jeff
07-18-2015, 12:51 AM
I'm only so dumb, dude. I got too crazy on a bike in the 70s and am STILL paying for it.

I get straight to point because that's just me. Liquor + Gunny = jail. Anyone else goes to the ER. Not to mention your brother is unappreciative of me exercising my "drunk n posting" skillset.

If you got sweet tea I'll be fine.

I'd go with you in a second. I'll just be "that" guy behind y'all in the 1 ton red GMC that only the fans of Fast and Furious think is invisible. They fit UNDER my bumper.:laugh:

Brother come on any way you want, I rode past Wally World tonight and folks are camping there, a sea of Confederate flags, ought to be a fun one. :thumb:

BJ_WA
07-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Here's a cedar planked coho fillet I did camping at O'Connel Lake on Vancouver Island a few years ago, used a cedar board I split from a chunk of firewood and made an aluminum foil tent over the fish to trap the smoke. It was all excellent.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7495&stc=1

jimnyc
07-18-2015, 04:47 PM
It's 5:44 and I'm starved. I just saw the salmon above me and it looked awesome! But I think we're having some weird looking chicken, I think. I may try salmon this week, or nag the woman to make it. :slap:

BJ_WA
07-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Pan fried salmon by Giada.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/giadas-pan-fried-salmon-0205444.html?oc=taboola&c4=Giada%27s+Pan-Fried+Salmon&c3=lucianne

Kathianne
07-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Pan fried salmon by Giada.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/giadas-pan-fried-salmon-0205444.html?oc=taboola&c4=Giada%27s+Pan-Fried+Salmon&c3=lucianne

I've made that recipe, it's good!

BJ_WA
07-20-2015, 01:05 PM
I've made that recipe, it's good!

I'll give it a try, then.

Last night I smoked wings using the off set method
and used cherry for smoke.

Oh, oh, upside down. I'll have to work on that....

Gunny
07-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Here's a cedar planked coho fillet I did camping at O'Connel Lake on Vancouver Island a few years ago, used a cedar board I split from a chunk of firewood and made an aluminum foil tent over the fish to trap the smoke. It was all excellent.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7495&stc=1

It looks good. I just don't like fish. I've been deep sea fishing probably a hundred times, but I always went with some who would eat it.

The whole idea of the plank thing is intriguing me though. I'll eat haddock and orange roughy (they don't taste like fish). I always put them on foil though.

fj1200
07-20-2015, 02:16 PM
The whole idea of the plank thing is intriguing me though.

I think there's a few reasons. Impart some flavor. You have a built-in plate. Delicate fish won't fall apart when flipping.

But I'm with you, I don't eat fish.

Gunny
07-21-2015, 12:48 AM
I think there's a few reasons. Impart some flavor. You have a built-in plate. Delicate fish won't fall apart when flipping.

But I'm with you, I don't eat fish.

I get the flavor and not losing half your fish into the fire part. I just never heard of it. I used to grill fish for my daughter (WAY on the opposite side from my steak).

Hell, if you can't smoke a brisket with real wood by the time you're 10 where I'm from, you probably need to be taken out behind the shed and get a "talkin' to". That's as big a sin as not being able to saddle a horse.

It IS funny watching yankees try though. Horses are smarter than dogs. If you're afraid, they know it and your ass ain't going to be sitting in that saddle long.:laugh:

Anyways, we just don't grill a lot of fish in South Texas. The Mexicans might. Bu they eat cabrito (goat). They do like shark. Us paranoid, God-fearing, gun-owning, Bible reading white folk clinging to our confederate battle ensign eat cows n chickens.

Jeff
07-21-2015, 06:14 AM
I get the flavor and not losing half your fish into the fire part. I just never heard of it. I used to grill fish for my daughter (WAY on the opposite side from my steak).

Hell, if you can't smoke a brisket with real wood by the time you're 10 where I'm from, you probably need to be taken out behind the shed and get a "talkin' to". That's as big a sin as not being able to saddle a horse.

It IS funny watching yankees try though. Horses are smarter than dogs. If you're afraid, they know it and your ass ain't going to be sitting in that saddle long.:laugh:

Anyways, we just don't grill a lot of fish in South Texas. The Mexicans might. Bu they eat cabrito (goat). They do like shark. Us paranoid, God-fearing, gun-owning, Bible reading white folk clinging to our confederate battle ensign eat cows n chickens.

Yup, so very true. I have been in the south 20 plus years but horses scare the sheot out of me, last time I had to saddle one ( or was talked into it ) I whispered in that bitches ear " if you be nice I wont pull the 45 out of my effing pocket and put one in that extra large forehead of yours " I think he understood because we got through it. :laugh::laugh:

OOO yea Racist :laugh2:

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 04:25 PM
I cook salmon in tin foil, skin side down, covered with pepper, onion slices and lemon...seal it up and cook it till it's done. It's amazing. I've had planked salmon, and it's good (and it was cedar, served in a restaurant). Almost if not all plants and trees have toxins..they vary from plant to plant and reactions vary person to person. A couple of years ago I was smoking like crazy in my little grill....coals on one side, a pan of water on the other, the meat over the water, and wood chips in the charcoal for flavored smoke. I made some amazing boston butts and chickens.

BJ_WA
07-30-2015, 04:36 PM
I don't always use a cedar plank and use the aluminum foil method you describe. I've also prepared trout with the onion and lemon wrapped in foil which was quite good, especially over camp fire coals. For a change try adding jalapeņo pepper slices.

All this talk about brisket has me thinking about one this weekend and would do it with the water as you describe.

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 04:42 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/AllieBaba2007/003-5_zps614a9dbf.jpg Chicken smoked in regular bbq.

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 04:42 PM
Here's the set up: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/AllieBaba2007/018-2_zps0f2fa212.jpg

Gunny
07-30-2015, 04:45 PM
I don't always use a cedar plank and use the aluminum foil method you describe. I've also prepared trout with the onion and lemon wrapped in foil which was quite good, especially over camp fire coals. For a change try adding jalapeņo pepper slices.

All this talk about brisket has me thinking about one this weekend and would do it with the water as you describe.

SACRILEGE! Water on a brisket? Or anywhere near one? Apparently BBQ'd brisket is above and beyond the ability of anyone not Native Texan.

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Here's my pulled pork..smoked the same way. It seems I didn't get any pics BEFORE I pulled the stuff apart. They were amazing too. http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/AllieBaba2007/002_zpsb3a5c3e0.jpg

BJ_WA
07-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Here's my pulled pork..smoked the same way. It seems I didn't get any pics BEFORE I pulled the stuff apart. They were amazing too. http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/AllieBaba2007/002_zpsb3a5c3e0.jpg

That looks great. I double foil it at the end and use hard cider for fluid.

I'll do the same with this weekend's brisket but will use Wild Turkey for flavouring and jack Daniel's wood chips for smoke. I may even throw on some Cock Sauce to spice it up.