PDA

View Full Version : The Big One

indago
07-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Shepard Smith — Earthquake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Lccf54JGE

jimnyc
07-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Holy crap! My ass is gonna stay on the eastern coast! An earthquake is bad enough, but a tsunami scares the crap out of me!!

Noir
07-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Sounds pretty intense, would be interesting to see what level of funding is required for the 'early warning' system that is being denied.

And as an aside - it's a little embarrassing IMO that this host doesnt apparently know what a mathematical average is, or how is it applied to 'event over time'

jimnyc
07-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Sounds pretty intense, would be interesting to see what level of funding is required for the 'early warning' system that is being denied.

And as an aside - it's a little embarrassing IMO that this host doesnt apparently know what a mathematical average is, or how is it applied to 'event over time'

I only watched like the first 4 minutes. What early warning system? Linky linky? Is such a system in place elsewhere? Cost?

Shit, I don't care the cost. If this is true, and this event is GOING to happen, sounds like an awful lot of lives can be saved, if this system is reliable in advance for earthquakes.

Noir
07-17-2015, 10:01 AM
I only watched like the first 4 minutes. What early warning system? Linky linky? Is such a system in place elsewhere? Cost?

Shit, I don't care the cost. If this is true, and this event is GOING to happen, sounds like an awful lot of lives can be saved, if this system is reliable in advance for earthquakes.

Its mentioned in the video that Japan use equipment to detect compression waves, that are effectively signals that are released a few minutes before the actual quake hits.
They say in the video that funding for the system on the north east coast has so far been denied.

jimnyc
07-17-2015, 10:09 AM
Its mentioned in the video that Japan use equipment to detect compression waves, that are effectively signals that are released a few minutes before the actual quake hits.
They say in the video that funding for the system on the north east coast has so far been denied.

I'm gonna go look on New Yorker, and take it from there. I assume there's a good reason, but with THAT many lives at stake, CAN there be a good reason?

Kathianne
07-17-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm gonna go look on New Yorker, and take it from there. I assume there's a good reason, but with THAT many lives at stake, CAN there be a good reason?
I read the New Yorker piece a few days ago, very good. It seems that OR and WA don't want to spend $$ on possible problems.

jimnyc
07-17-2015, 10:13 AM
Here's the article the video is based off of - http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

I don't see the discussion of funding in that article, so now my search continues...

Abbey Marie
07-17-2015, 10:16 AM
If there is early warning, where would everyone go? The desert? Sounds like a logistical impossibility, except for the wealthy who can always pay to find a way out.

Kathianne
07-17-2015, 10:18 AM
If there is early warning, where would everyone go? The desert? Sounds like a logistical impossibility, except for the wealthy who can always pay to find a way out.

Seems there would be a very tiny window, if I remember something like 20 minutes. Mind you, this would be following a devastating quake and impassable roads...

jimnyc
07-17-2015, 10:21 AM

The rich can call up "The Rock" and get a helicopter ride to safety. :)

Gunny
07-17-2015, 10:24 AM

Everyone in Texas and Louisiana runs to San Antonio. It's above the flood plain.

What we'll have is another Katrina and the left will spend more time pointing fingers than fixing the problem.

The issue is those that think for themselves will get the Hell out of Dodge. Those on the left waiting on the government to save them will probably drown. Darwin's Law.

Abbey Marie
07-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Didn't W cause racist Katrina to swerve and hit Nawlins'? :rolleyes:

Gunny
07-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Didn't W cause racist Katrina to swerve and hit Nawlins'? :rolleyes:

You didn't here Kanye? He was killing black folk. Or that idiot Chavez declare we have a hurricane machine and did it on purpose?

jimnyc
07-17-2015, 12:16 PM
You didn't here Kanye? He was killing black folk. Or that idiot Chavez declare we have a hurricane machine and did it on purpose?

Oh boy, let ME get my hands on that machine. :laugh:

NightTrain
07-17-2015, 01:43 PM
15 minutes is not enough time to do anything. That 100' high wall of water will wipe out everything in reach on the West Coast, and that's if you were lucky enough to survive the ground liquefaction during the earthquake itself.

Then you have to think about Japan, who received a 600' high tsunami back in 1700 from the last time this happened... they'll have a few hours of warning, though.

75 years overdue from the average... and the delay is only going to add more energy to the event. Very silly of Washington and Oregon not to invest in compression wave sensors, hopefully this story will wake them up and get the early warning system placed.

Probably 90% or more of all freight to Alaska comes from Seattle / Tacoma / Portland on ships, so if that's wiped out the only alternative is to truck it up over the Alaska Highway through Canada... and there will be huge convoys to replace those monstrous ships bringing in food & supplies. I suspect the moose population will immediately plummet in the area, open season or not!

indago
07-17-2015, 05:33 PM
Time to start buying property on the east side of the fault line...

aboutime
07-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Think about it! Like everything else that strikes, somewhere on the Earth. From Tsunami's in the Pacific rim, to Earthquakes in cities around the World.

NOBODY can prepare for such a disaster. No amount of money, preparation, warnings, or predictions can STOP what the Earth can, and will do. Much like all of the recent threats, and warnings about Asteroids, or Meteors.

WHO among us can CHANGE anything that nature wants to dish out?

Al Gore? Barrack Obama? YOU?

Kathianne
07-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Think about it! Like everything else that strikes, somewhere on the Earth. From Tsunami's in the Pacific rim, to Earthquakes in cities around the World.

NOBODY can prepare for such a disaster. No amount of money, preparation, warnings, or predictions can STOP what the Earth can, and will do. Much like all of the recent threats, and warnings about Asteroids, or Meteors.

WHO among us can CHANGE anything that nature wants to dish out?

Al Gore? Barrack Obama? YOU?

Yes, but having warning hours before, as opposed to minutes after a quake can mean tens of thousands of lives and hundreds of thousands less injuries.

aboutime
07-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Yes, but having warning hours before, as opposed to minutes after a quake can mean tens of thousands of lives and hundreds of thousands less injuries.

Kathianne. I totally agree with you on that. However. Have you ever seen what happens when people are told to evacuate the area's where they live, because of an approaching hurricane?
The highways are instantly jammed. Gas stations run out of fuel, electricity begins to fail, and Anarchy begins to take effect when NOT ENOUGH POLICE are available to handle all of the emergencies.
Needless to say. The anarchy that occurs when people abandon businesses, and homes...and LOOTING..Ala Baltimore, Ferguson, or even Detroit become the opportunities for THOSE LEFT BEHIND...much like during KATRINA in N.Orleans.

Multiply those numbers by MILLIONS, and all the PRE-PLANNING, or EARLY WARNINGS are useless.

Kathianne
07-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Kathianne. I totally agree with you on that. However. Have you ever seen what happens when people are told to evacuate the area's where they live, because of an approaching hurricane?
The highways are instantly jammed. Gas stations run out of fuel, electricity begins to fail, and Anarchy begins to take effect when NOT ENOUGH POLICE are available to handle all of the emergencies.
Needless to say. The anarchy that occurs when people abandon businesses, and homes...and LOOTING..Ala Baltimore, Ferguson, or even Detroit become the opportunities for THOSE LEFT BEHIND...much like during KATRINA in N.Orleans.

Multiply those numbers by MILLIONS, and all the PRE-PLANNING, or EARLY WARNINGS are useless.

That's where planning and practice come into play, much like fire and tornado drills, granted on much larger scale. Not everyone will survive, without a doubt.

However, hurricane plans and routes have saved countless lives, since predictions have gotten better.

Same sorts of plans need to be taken, while working on giving more and more notice.