PDA

View Full Version : O'Malley apologizes for saying 'all lives matter' at liberal conference

tailfins
07-19-2015, 07:31 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/politics/martin-omalley-all-lives-matter/

jimnyc
07-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Several dozen demonstrators interrupted the former Maryland governor while he was speaking here at the Netroots Nation conference, a gathering of liberal activists, demanding that he address criminal justice and police brutality. When they shouted, "Black lives matter!" a rallying cry of protests that broke out after several black Americans were killed at the hands of police in recent months, O'Malley responded: "Black lives matter. White lives matter. All lives matter."

The demonstrators, who were mostly black, responded by booing him and shouting him down.

WTF? Why would he be shouted down and booed? Damn, bring up ALL lives and get booed?

This is the current problem with the country. The "offended" minority are taking over with this politically correct bullshit and people are bending over backwards to accommodate them. An apology for saying ALL lives matter?

Noir
07-19-2015, 08:10 AM
Because "all lives matter" in relation to police brutality etc masks that all lives are not treated equally.

jimnyc
07-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Because "all lives matter" in relation to police brutality etc masks that all lives are not treated equally.

EVEN IF... ALL lives do still matter. And it's STILL a statement - "all lives matter".

The assholes with "black lives matter" or "whites lives matter" only serve to continue the racial divide in our country. ALL LIVES MATTER is 100% correct and NOT something that should be shouted down or booed. Even setting up events where one is almost all black, and others almost all white - also wrong.

But I suppose you'll then agree with thousands attending a "white lives matter" conference in Washington DC, and it will be about the massive amount of white folks killed yearly at the hands of black folks. And of course there shouldn't be anyone stating any differently than their message.

tailfins
07-19-2015, 08:56 AM

What this means in practice is that the Justice (Just Us) Department leaves more severe cases of police brutality against a white person unprosecuted in favor of less severe cases against a black person. It means "affirmative action" when deciding who gets justice. That would be "just us" (the black population).

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-19-2015, 09:00 AM
F-HIM, he apologized for stating the truth, he should be toast for that IMHO.
How about saying--black lives do not matter -- because thats what they and their slave masters(dem party) are saying about us!--Tyr

jimnyc
07-19-2015, 09:07 AM
I couldn't care less about this guy, but he was right.

Suppose one week you had 14 black folks shot by cops. 2 were latino. 4 were white.

ALL lives matter. Or what, since the blacks had so many more, somehow the lesser amount of lives no longer matter? And I think that's what his point was - that ALL lives matter. Sure, continue the fight to help black folks - but don't condemn someone who sticks up for ALL.

Noir
07-19-2015, 09:31 AM
How about saying--black lives do not matter -- because thats what they and their slave masters(dem party) are saying about us!--Tyr

somehow the lesser amount of lives no longer matter?

When the topic is, for example, blacks killed by police, and someone overrides 'blacks lives matter' with 'all lives matter' they are changing the focus of the discussion away from the issue. The woman in the OP even states that 'of course all lives matter' but that is not the focus of the discussion.

It it would be akin to someone posting here about how veterans with mental illness's are let down by the system, don't get enough funding/support etc. and then someone else posting 'well what about veterans without mental illnesses, they deserve more funding/support too, all veterans lives matter! Not just the ones that are mentally ill' You can see (I hope) how this simple (and presumably agreeable) statement has changed the focus of the discussion, and not in a way that will assist the mentally ill vets.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-19-2015, 09:39 AM
When the topic is, for example, blacks killed by police, and someone overrides 'blacks lives matter' with 'all lives matter' they are changing the focus of the discussion away from the issue. The woman in the OP even states that 'of course all lives matter' but that is not the focus of the discussion.

It it would be akin to someone posting here about how veterans with mental illness's are let down by the system, don't get enough funding/support etc. and then someone else posting 'well what about veterans without mental illnesses, they deserve more funding/support too, all veterans lives matter! Not just the ones that are mentally ill' You can see (I hope) how this simple (and presumably agreeable) statement has changed the focus of the discussion, and not in a way that will assist the mentally ill vets.

Thats bumfuggery in the nth degree. The man was castigated for saying all lives matter. The leftists and other assorted scum can not abide that because to let that stands gives legitimacy to the fact that abortion is murder and they will never allow that to go unchallenged.
You just do the liberal thing and try to present one of the million shades of gray. In this case the man spoke a solid truth but was forced by those that hate such truth to recant.
Now you attempt to justify the slime that forced him to recant.
Such will never cut it with me amigo.

I simply refuse to play that bumfuggery crap..-Tyr

jimnyc
07-19-2015, 09:48 AM

All cool and fine if someone wants to narrow a discussion as it's happening - but to apologize for speaking the truth? No effing way. To boo him? No effing way. How about "You are 100% correct, all lives DO matter - but we would like to solely discuss blacks killed by police. - Oh, simmer down crowd, no need to boo, he's 100% spot on correct, all lives do matter, but let's get back to narrowing the discussion down to just blacks..."

But apologizing and being booed? Fuck that. Same as I said. Some folks are instantly vilified if they speak up. Mention black crime stats, you're a racist. Disagree with gay marriage, you're instantly a bigot or homophobe and all kinds of other crap. And I believe this is why there is a huge segment right now that are liking Donald Trump, because he's speaking freely without giving a fuck. I think people are tired of walking on egg shells while so many others are free to say whatever they want.

Now if someone wants to stand for ALL lives - he has to apologize. Unbelievable. I'd rather tell them all to go fuck themselves and no longer be involved in politics. Just like Kid Rock, who rarely if ever uses the confederate flag protesters to kiss his ass - he's tired of others telling others what to do and how to live their lives. Rather than simply not go to a concert that they never would have went to anyway, they prefer to piss and moan, and likely want an apology from him too. And I say fuck that there too.

Not a single conservative on this board would have disagreed, nor a single one would have asked for an apology. GUARANTEED. At best, someone would have asked for the narrowing of the discussion, but no way would any of them booed down the inclusion of other veterans. In fact, I don't think anyone would have EVER singled out others for better/different treatment. I believe they would agree 50,000% if someone chimed in with ALL vets lives matter.

But yes, I get the point you're making. But it can NEVER be wrong to stand up for ALL lives, and certainly not enough to boo someone down and worthy of an apology. Oh lordy, he said all lives matter, how dare he include other lives!! :rolleyes:

Rat
07-19-2015, 09:53 AM

I lived in 3 countries and been to over 40. I say with honest truth America treats its people more equal than any country in world. Times bad incidents happen but we make right and move forward. Can't say same for other places around globe. All this complaining about inequality makes me mad. People no understand how good this country is and good they have it. I see horrors across world and feel deep sadness how other nations treat their people. There countries where it illegal to be gay and will kill you for it. There countries where you can be imprisoned or killed for being certain religion. There countries where animals treated better than women and certain races. So no tell me there is mass injustice in America. It insulting to say America treat citizens unequal. Everyone here have chance make it. Only obstacle in America is yourself. I born in Mexico. Family and town very poor. I no think I have good future. When I 10 parents move to America. I get good education, have stable and good job in Army many years, get good job making good money when get out of Army. I have own house, truck, motorcycle, small fishing boat, family, safe place live. No let isolated incidents make you think inequality and injustice is norm in America. You can succeed here if you white, black, man, woman, or any race, religion, sexual preference, or beliefs. Man who say all lives matter is right and those who boo are ignorant of how good this country treats people and how much better we are than almost all other countries.

tailfins
07-19-2015, 12:24 PM

If the disabled veterans funding comes from for example, Veterans Administration mortgage assistance, then it becomes a problem.

Abbey Marie
07-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Apologizing gives them tons more power than the booing ever could.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Apologizing gives them tons more power than the booing ever could.
Correct! Apologizing is an admission of guilt--of wrong doing! It actually says they have a point!
What utter rubbish. I never apologize unless I know Ive made a mistake and wronged somebody.
Nobody ever got an apology from me -That demanded one!
Yet some have got apology from me that remained civil and quiet.
Thats just how I roll. -Tyr