PDA

View Full Version : Split - good meats

Gunny
07-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks Jim,

I'm not at Noir's level. I don't eat meat, but Vegan is much more stringent.

But I guess I was Vegan for dinner last night- I had a salad and a bowl of Gazpacho. An especially good meal for the hot weather.

I had ham sandwiches. Pepper jack cheese and brown mustard. I must have forgot the salad. :)

Abbey Marie
07-17-2015, 10:29 AM
I had ham sandwiches. Pepper jack cheese and brown mustard. I must have forgot the salad. :)

Must have... :laugh:

indago
07-17-2015, 06:30 PM
I was watching a program on the evolution of man about a year ago and it noted that the cooking of meat was one of the greatest leaps in the brain development of humans. It was noted that cooking meat changes the chemical structure of the meat, and this fed the development of the human brain. Man already had fire, and they ate raw meat. It was conjectured that a group was eating meat by a fire set for warmth and to repel animals, and they put the meat down to go and do something, and when they returned the meat had changed, being too close to the fire. Rather than throw it out, they ate it anyway, and liked it that way, and began the process of this cooking, changing their brain development in the process.

tailfins
07-17-2015, 08:01 PM
Jim, look at this photo and tell me you plan to go vegan anytime soon:

https://cravedfw.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dsc07595.jpg

Kathianne
07-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Jim, look at this photo and tell me you plan to go vegan anytime soon:

https://cravedfw.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dsc07595.jpg

Where's the bacon?

LongTermGuy
07-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Where's the bacon?

Gotta have my meat....you say bacon?:laugh:

*​Filet Mignon wrapped in bacon...

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/63/b5/35/63b535cb2c27a3ac31632a3d1f68ef5b.jpg

tailfins
07-17-2015, 09:09 PM
Where's the bacon?

It's ground into the sausage, I guess. Has anyone ever seen bacon offered at a Texas barbecue joint? I guess it could be done; just never seen it. That photo is from Hutchins in McKinney.

Jeff
07-18-2015, 01:06 AM
I just had a huge Rib-eye, But I had a salad first, does that make me half a vegan ? :laugh:

Noir
07-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Well this certainly seems like an appropriate thread to post images of meat dishes, not that anything more should be expected.

jimnyc
07-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Well this certainly seems like an appropriate thread to post images of meat dishes, not that anything more should be expected.

I kinda agree here with Noir. He posted about a great accomplishment and I'm sure the photos seem like a slap in the face for his efforts. Again, not my cup of tea - but wouldn't be much different than me posting stats on my quitting smoking and folks posting various types of smokes. I believe he and Abbey have already stated that some of this stuff is offensive to them. In any other thread... but this was a way of acknowledging his efforts. We may not agree, but it's still something that hits home for him and something he believes in, and therefore made an effort to make a change. Nothing wrong with that, even if we disagree.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-18-2015, 09:18 AM
I just had a huge Rib-eye, But I had a salad first, does that make me half a vegan ? :laugh:

Sho' does.. If you'd only had a baked tater with it ,we'd let you slide but a full blown salad makes you a half-breed vegan.
Please do not tell me that you have also been eying some pretty purse in the display window too. :laugh:-Tyr

tailfins
07-18-2015, 10:03 AM
I kinda agree here with Noir. He posted about a great accomplishment and I'm sure the photos seem like a slap in the face for his efforts. Again, not my cup of tea - but wouldn't be much different than me posting stats on my quitting smoking and folks posting various types of smokes. I believe he and Abbey have already stated that some of this stuff is offensive to them. In any other thread... but this was a way of acknowledging his efforts. We may not agree, but it's still something that hits home for him and something he believes in, and therefore made an effort to make a change. Nothing wrong with that, even if we disagree.

I don't get it. :dunno: I thought vegetarians had a natural aversion to meat. This is the first I heard of it being something that takes effort.

Voted4Reagan
07-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Since making my pledge, remember guys its never too little or too late (:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/79B3628E-13B2-4D28-AB80-0E10CC3883EB_zpspjkteinc.png (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jonathan-mcc/media/79B3628E-13B2-4D28-AB80-0E10CC3883EB_zpspjkteinc.png.html)

The More Vegans in the world the more Bacon I can eat...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Health-wise bacon is QUITE BAD for me BUT I STILL EAT IT--
SUCH IS THE POWER OF ITS ADDICTION... ;)---------TYR

Voted4Reagan
07-18-2015, 12:08 PM

All hail the Goddess PORCINA... Goddess of Bacon and Sausage.

Gunny
07-18-2015, 03:39 PM

Thanks. Now I have to get a rib-eye. Good thing I got over half a bag of mesquite charcoal. :)

tailfins
07-18-2015, 03:40 PM

Which do you think is worse for your health: Bacon or Beef Brisket?

indago
07-18-2015, 04:53 PM

Yes, and it will bring down the cost...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-18-2015, 06:42 PM
The brisket of course. -Tyr

Gunny
07-19-2015, 12:57 AM

Yes ...

Gunny
07-19-2015, 12:59 AM
The brisket of course. -Tyr

Actually untrue. Brisket is one of the leanest cuts of meat. Bacon ... not so much with that strip of fat that out-weighs the actual meat.:laugh:

Jeff
07-19-2015, 06:49 AM
Actually untrue. Brisket is one of the leanest cuts of meat. Bacon ... not so much with that strip of fat that out-weighs the actual meat.:laugh:

The fat is what makes it taste so good. :poke: Check out the Rib-Rye, a good one will have plenty of fat on it, Dang hungry again. :laugh:

Noir Congratulations, I didn't mean to make light of your accomplishment, and Ms. Abbey no dis respect meant. Personally Jim I see quitting smoking and quitting eating meat two entirely different things, you know smoking is going to kill ya ( or give ya some kind of serious illness ) and meat can to I realize that but no way do I believe they are in the same category, not even close.

tailfins
07-19-2015, 07:19 AM
The fat is what makes it taste so good. :poke: Check out the Rib-Rye, a good one will have plenty of fat on it, Dang hungry again. :laugh:

Noir Congratulations, I didn't mean to make light of your accomplishment, and Ms. Abbey no dis respect meant. Personally Jim I see quitting smoking and quitting eating meat two entirely different things, you know smoking is going to kill ya ( or give ya some kind of serious illness ) and meat can to I realize that but no way do I believe they are in the same category, not even close.

In the award winning Texas BBQ joints they ask if you want your brisket lean, marbled or you can ask for burnt ends. I have to admit that I don't know much about this vegetarian thing. I do know that moderate Hindus will eat chicken, while stricter Hindus won't eat meat of any kind.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-19-2015, 08:50 AM

True but one must know the bacon god forced that answer from me against my will. Every time I TRIED TO TYPE THE WORD BACON, THE RESULTING WORD CAME OUT AS BRISKET.. :laugh:-Tyr

BJ_WA
07-19-2015, 09:21 AM
I'm smoking chicken wings on the Weber tonight; ranch and blue cheese dressing for dipping.

Noir
07-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Did you guys know there's an entire Forum on this very board called 'Food and Recipes'?

Gunny
07-19-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm smoking chicken wings on the Weber tonight; ranch and blue cheese dressing for dipping.

I ended up with chicken shish kabob. It was good. Took a little experimenting though. Never grilled it before.

Gunny
07-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Did you guys know there's an entire Forum on this very board called 'Food and Recipes'?

And?

jimnyc
07-19-2015, 09:51 AM

I tried at least. I can clean this thread up if you like, but I don't think it would matter at this point. I should have done that the first time I came across the thread. :(

tailfins
07-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Or you could stop insisting that people read your mind and explain how converting to vegetarianism takes effort. I know very few if any Anglo vegetarians and only have knowledge about it relative to Hinduism who never had to stop eating meat because the never started their entire life. The only Anglo vegetarians I remember coming into contact with are people who throw paint on people that wear fur.

Noir
07-19-2015, 12:50 PM
Or you could stop insisting that people read your mind and explain how converting to vegetarianism takes effort. I know very few if any Anglo vegetarians and only have knowledge about it relative to Hinduism who never had to stop eating meat because the never started their entire life. The only Anglo vegetarians I remember coming into contact with are people who throw paint on people that wear fur.

As a clarification, i am a vegan, not a vegetarian.
I've posted a number of threads discussing veganism relating to animal abuse, health issues, environmental issues and so on. This was not a thread to discuss those things, but if you'd like me to link you to a previous thread i happily will.

tailfins
07-19-2015, 12:57 PM
As a clarification, i am a vegan, not a vegetarian.
I've posted a number of threads discussing veganism relating to animal abuse, health issues, environmental issues and so on. This was not a thread to discuss those things, but if you'd like me to link you to a previous thread i happily will.

Which one is the one that throws paint on people for wearing fur?

tailfins
07-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Where's the bacon?

I found the bacon! They put it in their Mac 'n Cheese and in their mashed potatoes. Give me credit for a thorough investigation!

Note to Noir: Don't ever eat the mashed potatoes if you ever visit McKinney, TX and eat at Hutchins.

Abbey Marie
07-19-2015, 01:05 PM

Really? It doesn't take a mind-reader to understand that Noir was posting about something he is proud of, and that ridiculing that by posting gleefully about eating meat could be insulting to him.

In addition, just the fact that so many people keep stating their love affair with meat, should make it pretty obvious how hard it can be for some people to stop. Not to mention the flack that vegetarians/vegans get just for being so.

So, even if it is somehow "easy" to stop, it wouldn't make Noir's accomplishment any less, or any less worthy of some respect just for his perseverance. Something which Jim and Jeff have shown they understand. At the very least, if it doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment, just ignore the thread altogether.

In sum, everything you need to understand Noir's "mind" is right here for the reading.

tailfins
07-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Really? It doesn't take a mind-reader to understand that Noir was posting about something he is proud of, and that ridiculing that by posting gleefully about eating meat could be insulting to him.

In addition, just the fact that so many people keep stating their love affair with meat, should make it pretty obvious how hard it can be for some people to stop. Not to mention the flack that vegetarians/vegans get just for being so.

So, even if it is somehow "easy" to stop, it wouldn't make Noir's accomplishment any less, or any less worthy of some respect just for his perseverance. Something which Jim and Jeff have shown they understand. At the very least, if it doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment, just ignore the thread altogether.

In sum, everything you need to understand Noir's "mind" is right here for the reading.

You're expecting (demanding?) too much. Note to public: This is how you find freedom. Refuse delivery when ANYONE makes unreasonable demands on you. Refuse to bear that burden then throw it off your shoulders!

Abbey Marie
07-19-2015, 01:19 PM
You're expecting (demanding?) too much.

I don't think so.
If I don't understand something I read here, I either
1. Ask for an explanation, or if for some reason I don't want to do that, I
2. Post elsewhere

What I do not do, is criticize it, and then defend my point by arguing that one needs to be a mind-reader to understand.

Especially if understanding is an on-going problem of mine.

Jeff
07-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Did you guys know there's an entire Forum on this very board called 'Food and Recipes'? :thumb:

And? :laugh::laugh:

I tried at least. I can clean this thread up if you like, but I don't think it would matter at this point. I should have done that the first time I came across the thread. :(

Nope it won't. :laugh:

As a matter of fact I am fixing to BBQ some chickens, corn on the cob, homemade Mac and cheese and a fresh tomato salad. ( right from the garden )

:uhoh: UHH OOO did I break the golden rule. :evilras:

I will try and do better. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gunny
07-19-2015, 04:42 PM

Uh oh. I HATE arguing with Abbey. He doesn't mind insulting/ridiculing us. If you dish it out ... learn to take it.

BJ_WA
07-19-2015, 05:55 PM
I changed the menu and will have aubergine parmesan instead.

Noir
07-20-2015, 12:57 PM
I changed the menu and will have aubergine parmesan instead.

Well I won't blame ya for trying xD but sadly parmesan is neither vegan or vegetarian.

BJ_WA
07-20-2015, 01:10 PM
I'll make a note - thought cheese is ok as vegetarian as long as it does not have rennet.

I know it's not vegan.

Local cheese makers here use thistle juice instead of rennet.

Noir
07-20-2015, 01:30 PM
I'll make a note - thought cheese is ok as vegetarian as long as it does not have rennet.

I know it's not vegan.

Local cheese makers here use thistle juice instead of rennet.

Cheese can be vegetarian, however, parmesan is a legally protected type of cheese, and as such it must be made with calf rennet.

fj1200
07-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Cheese can be vegetarian, however, parmesan is a legally protected type of cheese, and as such it must be made with calf rennet.

:confused: I think some Parmesan I buy says "vegetarian" on the packaging.

Abbey Marie
07-20-2015, 02:24 PM
:thumb:

:laugh::laugh:

Nope it won't. :laugh:

As a matter of fact I am fixing to BBQ some chickens, corn on the cob, homemade Mac and cheese and a fresh tomato salad. ( right from the garden )

:uhoh: UHH OOO did I break the golden rule. :evilras:

I will try and do better. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:slap:

Abbey Marie
07-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Uh oh. I HATE arguing with Abbey. He doesn't mind insulting/ridiculing us. If you dish it out ... learn to take it.

I thought that was just my husband! :cool:

Noir
07-20-2015, 02:40 PM

Whats the brand? I'd like to follow up on them.

Abbey Marie
07-20-2015, 03:19 PM

From a company called Bel Gioioso:

Vegetarian Cheeses (made with non-animal enzymes)
Burrata
CreamyGorg®
Crescenza-Stracchino™
Fresh Mozzarella Italico™
Mascarpone,
Tiramisù Mascarpone and Crema di Mascarpone™
Ricotta con Latte®
Ricotta Salata
Vegetarian Parmesan

http://www.belgioioso.com/Cheese-Info

Noir
07-20-2015, 04:39 PM
From a company called Bel Gioioso: http://www.belgioioso.com/Cheese-Info

From looking at their website, the cheese itself doesn't seem to come from Italy.

They make a hard cheese, which you can get without calf rennet, but that hard cheese is not parmesan, nor is their hard cheese with calf rennet.

BJ_WA
07-20-2015, 04:58 PM
I did some czeching and the cheese I have is Safeway brand made with enzymes.

We all know Merican's take liberties with food and wine names and stick it the the Euros. That's another reason we're so well loved abroad.

Mumm's has no problem making bubbly in California, either.

Abbey Marie
07-20-2015, 05:12 PM
From looking at their website, the cheese itself doesn't seem to come from Italy.

They make a hard cheese, which you can get without calf rennet, but that hard cheese is not parmesan, nor is their hard cheese with calf rennet.

Parmesan is a hard cheese. Whether theirs is Parmesan, you will have to take that up with them I guess.

Jeff
07-20-2015, 07:15 PM

OK I know this is probably a stupid question but hell here it goes.

Why is any cheese not vegan or vegetarian ?

Jeff
07-20-2015, 07:17 PM

http://www.belgioioso.com/Cheese-Info

OK I should have read the entire thread first.

fj1200
07-21-2015, 09:11 AM

Abbey beat me to it.

OK I know this is probably a stupid question but hell here it goes.

Why is any cheese not vegan or vegetarian ?

A vegan won't eat anything animal, a vegetarian won't eat anything animal where it died to make you happy in tummy.