PDA

View Full Version : McCain and Trump: Formative Years

Kathianne
07-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Interesting article in WaPo, thank the Donald:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/20/what-donald-trump-was-up-to-while-john-mccain-was-suffering-as-a-prisoner-of-war/

What Donald Trump was up to while John McCain was a prisoner of war By Michael E. Miller (http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/michael-e-miller) and Fred Barbash (http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/fred-barbash)July 20 at 5:43 AM

It was the spring of 1968, and Donald Trump had it good.

He was 21 years old and handsome with a full head of hair. He avoided the Vietnam War draft on his way to earning an Ivy League degree. He was fond of fancy dinners, beautiful women and outrageous clubs. Most important, he had a job in his father’s real estate company and a brain bursting with money-making ideas that would make him a billionaire.

“When I graduated from college, I had a net worth of perhaps $200,000,” he said in his 1987 autobiography “Trump: The Art of the Deal (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345479173?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0345479173&linkCode=xm2&tag=thewaspos09-20),” written with Tony Schwartz. (That’s about $1.4 million in 2015 dollars.) “I had my eye on Manhattan.”

More than 8,000 miles away, John McCain sat in a tiny, squalid North Vietnamese prison cell. The Navy pilot’s body was broken from a plane crash, starvation, botched operations and months of torture.

As Trump was preparing to take Manhattan, McCain was trying to relearn how to walk.

The stark contrast in their fortunes was thrown into sharp relief Saturday when Trump belittled McCain during a campaign speech in Iowa.

“He’s not a war hero,” Trump said of McCain.

“He’s a war hero because he was captured,” Trump said sarcastically. “I like people that weren’t captured.”

jimnyc
07-20-2015, 09:46 AM
I know Trump kind of addressed this at the same time he made his comments about Mccain. I don't think it will go over, but who knows. He said honestly that he avoided the war as he disagreed with the Vietnam war. At least he admits to it.

Whether or not it will harm him? Unfortunately, others have done the same and it really hasn't harmed them. All the crap about Bush, but at least he was in the Guard. 'Ol lurch tossed fake medals over a fence, talked smack about other soldiers and apparently lied about things - and he just made a deal with Iran!

I'm still of the thought that he won't be around in the end anyway. But I don't think this will be what kills him. He's found a fair amount of folks that are tired of the RINO thing, as well as many tired of illegal immigration. But I think perhaps when other subjects come about, he may start to disappear.

FearandLoathing
07-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Interesting article in WaPo, thank the Donald:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/20/what-donald-trump-was-up-to-while-john-mccain-was-suffering-as-a-prisoner-of-war/

I didn't go to Vietnam, I could have, but I returned to Canada to go to college. I disagreed with the war too. But, had classmates who were there, one of them was killed on his third day in. A friend.

I would never take issue nor criticize any soldier, whether they have seen action or not, took cover in a ditch when the bullets flew or was captured and tortured. Any person who places themselves in harms way for the security of the nation should never be addressed as a coward by anyone who wasn't there.

namvet
07-20-2015, 04:24 PM
http://i59.tinypic.com/bfhobk.jpg

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-20-2015, 06:08 PM
I didn't go to Vietnam, I could have, but I returned to Canada to go to college. I disagreed with the war too. But, had classmates who were there, one of them was killed on his third day in. A friend.

I would never take issue nor criticize any soldier, whether they have seen action or not, took cover in a ditch when the bullets flew or was captured and tortured. Any person who places themselves in harms way for the security of the nation should never be addressed as a coward by anyone who wasn't there.

Nay, they can change and if it is for the worse they get to bear the results of that change to the bad.
Once a hero always a hero is not logical, sound or even sensible in any way IMHO.
SO A GUY IS A WAR HERO , COMES HOME AND STARTS MOLESTING HIS OWN CHILDREN IS HE STILL A HERO?

McCAIN CHANGED INTO A DIFFERENT MAN IN SELF INTERESTS OF ADVANCING HIS CAREER.
I'LL BE DAMNED IF I WILL GIVE RESPECT TO A MAN GONE OVER TO THE DARK SIDE FOR REASONS OF SELF INTERESTS AND CAREER ADVANCEMENT.
Those overlooking his record in politics the last few decades are making a big mistake IMHO.
He is no longer the returning POW AS SO MANY WANT TO CRY OUT HE IS, that man vanished long, long ago.. Now he serves his own personal interests above national security and advancement.
Be as blind a you like , but I'll not join in that blindness myself. -Tyr

Kathianne
07-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Nay, they can change and if it is for the worse they get to bear the results of that change to the bad.
Once a hero always a hero is not logical, sound or even sensible in any way IMHO.
SO A GUY IS A WAR HERO , COMES HOME AND STARTS MOLESTING HIS OWN CHILDREN IS HE STILL A HERO?

McCAIN CHANGED INTO A DIFFERENT MAN IN SELF INTERESTS OF ADVANCING HIS CAREER.
I'LL BE DAMNED IF I WILL GIVE RESPECT TO A MAN GONE OVER TO THE DARK SIDE FOR REASONS OF SELF INTERESTS AND CAREER ADVANCEMENT.
Those overlooking his record in politics the last few decades are making a big mistake IMHO.
He is no longer the returning POW AS SO MANY WANT TO CRY OUT HE IS, that man vanished long, long ago.. Now he serves his own personal interests above national security and advancement.
Be as blind a you like , but I'll not join in that blindness myself. -Tyr

As you said, we can 'respectfully disagree.' Believe it or not, there are honorable people that believe differently than you do. (You and I may thing they are wrong, but that doesn't mean that they are dishonorable.) Yes, I do think that one can do something 'extraordinary' early and fail at many things when older. The failures don't take away from what was done. Many service people-not just military either-suffer from PTSD. For many it may manifest in self harm. For a few it can lead to violence-domestic and others. Again, that doesn't change what one did in the past, though the present isn't something worth emulating.

Arnold did not complete his service honorably, he committed treason, as Gunny correctly pointed out because he felt superior to all the others including Washington. All the talent in the world will eventually be undone by hubris.

namvet
07-20-2015, 08:41 PM
McCain should not be an issue for Trump. he should be addressing the critical issues we face today instead of ragging on a ghost from the past. his mouth is his worst enemy. move on

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-20-2015, 08:45 PM
As you said, we can 'respectfully disagree.' Believe it or not, there are honorable people that believe differently than you do. (You and I may thing they are wrong, but that doesn't mean that they are dishonorable.) Yes, I do think that one can do something 'extraordinary' early and fail at many things when older. The failures don't take away from what was done. Many service people-not just military either-suffer from PTSD. For many it may manifest in self harm. For a few it can lead to violence-domestic and others. Again, that doesn't change what one did in the past, though the present isn't something worth emulating.

Arnold did not complete his service honorably, he committed treason, as Gunny correctly pointed out because he felt superior to all the others including Washington. All the talent in the world will eventually be undone by hubris.

Noted my friend. When I speak of McCain I speak of him now and of his political career not his military service which ended in the 70's.
My view is he betrays this nation and that to me is unforgivable because it can and likely will one day cause the death of millions of Americans. No punishment by being a POW can wipe away that action in my mind, spirit and soul...
Yes, we can just disagree on this and I hope to do just that, as I have far too much respect for your intelligence, honesty and honor than to have any umbrage on our differences on this issue.
-Tyr

LongTermGuy
07-20-2015, 08:46 PM
McCain should not be an issue for Trump. he should be addressing the critical issues we face today instead of ragging on a ghost from the past. his mouth is his worst enemy. move on

Naa...He is just responding to the old useless fart McCain for insulting 15,000 Americans....Good for Trump...seems to be paying off....He says it like it is...Political establishment hates it...Fuck em.

:cool:

Kathianne
07-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Noted my friend. When I speak of McCain I speak of him now and of his political career not his military service which ended in the 70's.
My view is he betrays this nation and that to me is unforgivable because it can and likely will one day cause the death of millions of Americans. No punishment by being a POW can wipe away that action in my mind, spirit and soul...
Yes, we can just disagree on this and I hope to do just that, as I have far too much respect for your intelligence, honesty and honor than to have any umbrage on our differences on this issue.
-Tyr

Thank you. I wouldn't vote for McCain, I'm already looking at any takers that are running against him, there are two right now. That's for the primary. Lord knows, I'll have to dig up info on the Dem down the line.

I don't agree with is politics for the most part, though I still think he would have been better than Obama, but HE self-destructed with Palin.

Again I don't think any of his votes or speeches or lectures about 'getting along with the opposition' changes the choices he made as a young man. He acted honorably and he could have walked away as easily as those criticizing him now.

LongTermGuy
07-21-2015, 01:01 AM
Thank you. I wouldn't vote for McCain.

So...Kat...who are `you` pulling for?.....Let me know so I can pull up some "dirt" on `em....:coffee:

:laugh:....oh Kat...you know Im just kidding......or am I ?:laugh:

:dance:

Gunny
07-21-2015, 01:26 AM
My problem with this is y'all are playing right into the game, thread after thread.

Ross Perot Jr aka Donald Trump made his money off the middle class. The poor can't afford him and the rich don't need him and he talks a lot of shit he can't do.

McCain has made a name being a traitor the party he supposedly is part of. By design or not, he's playing "war hero".

I can take your head off with a .308 at 1500 meters. You'll never hear the shot. Guess that qualifies me based on what I'm looking at. So should I start a poll? Y'all think I'd be a good politician? Or maybe I'm good at what I was trained to do? Or maybe I just need to start another thread? Hell, I'm a better analyst than anyone I ever met on a message board.

Simple fact: The left is playing the right and right is allowing them.

Jeff
07-21-2015, 06:07 AM
My problem with this is y'all are playing right into the game, thread after thread.

Ross Perot Jr aka Donald Trump made his money off the middle class. The poor can't afford him and the rich don't need him and he talks a lot of shit he can't do.

McCain has made a name being a traitor the party he supposedly is part of. By design or not, he's playing "war hero".

I can take your head off with a .308 at 1500 meters. You'll never hear the shot. Guess that qualifies me based on what I'm looking at. So should I start a poll? Y'all think I'd be a good politician? Or maybe I'm good at what I was trained to do? Or maybe I just need to start another thread? Hell, I'm a better analyst than anyone I ever met on a message board.

Simple fact: The left is playing the right and right is allowing them.

Gunny for President !!!!

If you don't like how things are going he will rip your effing head off. Sounds like the man we need for the job.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gunny
07-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Gunny for President !!!!

If you don't like how things are going he will rip your effing head off. Sounds like the man we need for the job.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not even sure where to start with this one. The EPA and the pace program better get some Nike's and start running. And take ISIS with them or maybe not. I'd blow them off the map and leave. None of this pussy Obama shit. It's "I blew you off the map and you people straighten the fuck up or we'll be back for a repeat." I'm not supporting you nor policing your country. Un-fuck yourselves.

Then I'd hire me some redneck like ... oh .. Jeff.. to go through all the offices in DC and fire people who are incompetent, have duplicate jobs, and are otherwise part of the good old boy network and otherwise useless. That would include anyone in Congress that's missing a set.

If you're on welfare, you're working for it. At minimum wage. Might motivate your asses to get real jobs.

And you're damned right I'm arming our Southern border. You come in the right way through the gate or stay the f- out.

Trump starting to sound like a nice guy?:laugh:

Perianne
07-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Not even sure where to start with this one. The EPA and the pace program better get some Nike's and start running. And take ISIS with them or maybe not. I'd blow them off the map and leave. None of this pussy Obama shit. It's "I blew you off the map and you people straighten the fuck up or we'll be back for a repeat." I'm not supporting you nor policing your country. Un-fuck yourselves.

Then I'd hire me some redneck like ... oh .. Jeff.. to go through all the offices in DC and fire people who are incompetent, have duplicate jobs, and are otherwise part of the good old boy network and otherwise useless. That would include anyone in Congress that's missing a set.

If you're on welfare, you're working for it. At minimum wage. Might motivate your asses to get real jobs.

And you're damned right I'm arming our Southern border. You come in the right way through the gate or stay the f- out.

Trump starting to sound like a nice guy?:laugh:

Gunny, I want a job, too. What would you have me do?

Gunny
07-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Gunny, I want a job, too. What would you have me do?

That took about 10 seconds and a smoke to figure out, Madam Secretary of State. You can run around and make peace treaties.:laugh2:

Jeff
07-22-2015, 07:09 AM
That took about 10 seconds and a smoke to figure out, Madam Secretary of State. You can run around and make peace treaties.:laugh2:

Is Perianne going to be the new Hillary or Monica ??? :laugh::laugh::laugh: