PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to White Men in America

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2015, 10:03 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-dr-john-c-dorhauer/an-open-letter-to-white-m_b_7857790.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

An Open Letter to White Men in America
Posted: 07/24/2015 12:03 pm EDT Updated: 07/24/2015 5:59 pm EDT

Dear White Men,

You are persons of privilege.

You didn't earn it. More than likely aren't yet prepared to either admit to it or lose it. This letter, written by one of you, is offered to invite you on a journey of insight, honesty, hard truth and just living.

Privilege can be hard to see, mostly because of what doesn't happen to us when we have it.

One of the four reasons James Cone offers in his landmark essay "Theology's Great Sin: Silence in the Face of White Supremacy" for why men of privilege remain silent in the face of so much racial injustice is: "They don't have to speak."

We aren't getting arrested at four times our population rate.

We aren't being followed when walking through a department store wearing a sweat shirt with a hood.

Real estate agencies didn't write codes, rules and laws that kept us out of the high rent districts and middle class neighborhoods.

Property values don't go down when more than 10 percent of our neighborhood is saturated with people of our race.

Our children aren't sitting in classrooms with teachers who are likely not to have even a minor degree in the courses they are teaching.

Young white men are not being gunned down by black police officers in epidemic numbers.

Our churches aren't being burned to the ground, nor or our church members in danger of being gunned down in prayer meetings.

We are not saying to ourselves as part of a white man's code of conduct that when a police car drives by us without pulling us over even though we are exceeding the speed limit something like: "Well, once again I didn't get pulled over because I'm white."

We are not saying to ourselves when our child didn't get her college application rejected with a questionable GPA something like: "Well, thank God she's white and that her mother graduated from that school 25 years ago."

We are not saying to ourselves when the prosecutor reduces our son's charges from aggravated assault to loitering and sets him free with a small fine and time served: "Wow, that white prosecutor made sure my white son got a break that the black man who got convicted of that crime last week didn't get."

The journey to seeing and understanding the pernicious consequences of privilege includes the harder work of seeing what isn't there to be seen.

I have started practicing this as a discipline.
When I walk into a convenience store to get a receipt for my gas and the young woman at the
counter greets me with a smile and a kind word, I tell myself "She felt comfortable doing that
because I'm white."

When I see a highway patrolman pass me by while I'm exceeding the speed limit or, as actually
happened two weeks ago, I get pulled over for that and let off without a ticket, I say to myself: "That happened because I'm white."

When I drive through the many border checkpoints we have set up here in the Southwest along the
Mexican border, and as I roll down my window and make my stop at the guard gate, and as the
border patrol agent simply glances at my face before waging me on with a perfunctory "have a good day," I say to myself:
"That is the result of my being white."

I don't know in the end if any of those were in fact true statements. That isn't the point of
this exercise. The point is to create a consciousness from which I can no longer let myself
escape.

I want to be clear about something. This solves nothing. I can notice, and still be happy and
content with the privilege I am afforded.

I want to be clear about something else. Whatever solutions are going to come that we ourselves
will offer the agency of our privilege for aren't coming without this basic awareness.

When I taught White Privilege studies to a class of Masters of Divinity students at Eden
Theological Seminary, the assignment I left the students with every day was this: "Tell me
what you see." There is a passage in my sacred texts that reads: "Let those who have eyes to see, see." There is so much more to be seen than what white men will let there eyes take notice of.

I invite the white men of America with me on this journey of discovery. Ask those who don't
share your privilege to tell you what they see. It may not have escaped your attention that
whether we are talking about Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Michael Brown, what whites see and
what blacks see are not the same thing. There is a reason for that. Privilege comes at a price -- and the price is the loss of a vision that admits facts that make accepting the privilege uncomfortable.

Therefore, I extend an invitation to a seeing that engenders the kind of discomfort with
privilege that creates the space necessary for real justice to emerge. Don't worry about carrying
the burden of solving this pervasive injustice: for good reason, you and I won't be entrusted

that work. But only when we see what others are more than happy to show us about ourselves will we be open then to hearing what they have to teach us about what will be required for true equality to emerge.

The acceptance of this invitation, and the resulting years of work it will take us all to open our eyes to that we have been conditioned to ignore for the sake of our privilege, is the first step in the proverbial journey of a thousand miles. White men in America, I invite you to walk this road with me.

Without any doubt , I say that this man(this moron) that wrote this complete and utter rubbish should be dragged from his house and beat to within an inch of his sorry-ass, miserable and utterly stupid life!!!!-Tyr

Perianne
07-25-2015, 10:11 PM
Without any doubt , I say that this man(this moron) that wrote this complete and utter rubbish should be dragged from his house and beat to within an inch of his sorry-ass, miserable and utterly stupid life!!!!-Tyr

He is, as Earl would say, a race traitor.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2015, 10:15 PM
He is, as Earl would say, a race traitor.

And I bet the lying bastard makes a very fine living being such vermin..
Still needs his sorry ass stomped all to hell and back again IMHO. - :mad:--Tyr

Perianne
07-25-2015, 10:22 PM
And I bet the lying bastard makes a very fine living being such vermin..
Still needs his sorry ass stomped all to hell and back again IMHO. - :mad:--Tyr

The author, Rev. Dr. John Dorhauer, has a Doctural degree in white privilege. laugh out loud

Seriously, even if I have a privilege because I am white, why would I want to give that up? Does Rev Dr. think the blacks would give their "privilege" to us if the situation were reversed?

It is not my fault that genetics picked winners and losers.

Augusto
07-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Very interesting post. I'm learning a lot about USA culture on this forum.

Kathianne
07-25-2015, 10:29 PM

Not necessarily. It would be a mistake to generalize from the few to the many.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2015, 10:32 PM
The author, Rev. Dr. John Dorhauer, has a Doctural degree in white privilege. laugh out loud

Seriously, even if I have a privilege because I am white, why would I want to give that up? Does Rev Dr. think the blacks would give their "privilege" to us if the situation were reversed?

It is not my fault that genetics picked winners and losers.
The dumb-ass author conveniently left out the actions blacks engage in daily that gets them arrested. He would have it believed that they are angels being snatched up for doing nothing!
Yes, I have had the "WHITE PRIVILEGE OF SEEING MY TAX MONEY SHELLED OUT TO BLACKS FOR 50 YEARS TO THE TUNE OF SEVERAL TRILLION DOLLARS IN GIVE AWAY PROGRAMS"(The Dems, "War on Poverty" vote buying programs) !!!
Results from that are lazy asses crying for more, voting in scum and demanding we surrender to their low morals,
stupidity and violence!
Fools surrender, we that aren't idiots, cowards and gullible pieces of shit do not! And never will!!! --Tyr

DragonStryk72
07-26-2015, 01:20 AM
Wow, this is... this kind of racist. I mean, wow, hold on, I can prove it. As always my text is in blue:

Dear White Men,

You are persons of privilege.

Well, no, I'm not. I'm poor, and born of a middle-class alcoholic, and a lower-class reformed alcoholic and drug-user. Furthermore, assuming that someone is inherently better off due to the color of their skin is, well, pretty fucking racist, come straight down to it.

You didn't earn it. More than likely aren't yet prepared to either admit to it or lose it. This letter, written by one of you, is offered to invite you on a journey of insight, honesty, hard truth and just living.

Um, really? I didn't pay to put myself through college by serving in the military? I didn't build my own life up? My dad grew up poor in Hell's Kitchen, and he busted his ass his whole life, because as the 8th of 9 children, there just wasn't another option. My mom is born of former-military truckers, and she had to work for the culinary degree she achieved, which included paying her own way through college. She had to push to open her own restaurant in New York City, and pick up the pieces when it failed despite her best efforts. There was no GI Bill for my dad, he had to get his CPA built off the back of hard work. But again, their personal accomplishments are nothing compared to their skin color, right? Again, that's fucking racist

Privilege can be hard to see, mostly because of what doesn't happen to us when we have it.

I guarantee you that whatever comes after this sentence, there will be absurd amounts of evidence that a) Not every White person's getting the exemption, and b) Every person of color has had experiences like what you describe as privilige.

One of the four reasons James Cone offers in his landmark essay "Theology's Great Sin: Silence in the Face of White Supremacy" for why men of privilege remain silent in the face of so much racial injustice is: "They don't have to speak."

Um, What? Okay going back, we had abolitionists in the original Founding Fathers. You know, those rich, old white men? The abolition movement itself had NUMEROUS people of all races in it, because on some fundamental level, we all realize that slavery is wrong. More recently, we are constantly working on race relations, and no one ever shuts the fuck UP about race, social inequity, and how to mend the fences. Finally.... he was born in 1938!! His essay is from before the entire civil rights movement! You are literally trying to dash the entire civil rights movement's accomplishments to make this point!!!

We aren't getting arrested at four times our population rate.

We are the world's leader in imprisonment across the board, that has nothing to do with race. The statistics do not take into account neighborhoods, individual cops, nothing. It would be like saying adults eat 4 times as much as small children, so they must be starving the children. Sure, with such broad general statement, you can find someone who fits the bill.

We aren't being followed when walking through a department store wearing a sweat shirt with a hood.

Clearly you've not been to enough department stores with a sweatshirt and hoodie on. I mean, here in Portland it's not so bad, because pretty much everyone wears hoodies all the time, but yeah, if you walk around looking shady, security is likely going to keep an eye on you. That's their job. Assuming it's about my skin tone, again, is an assumption that my skintone is born with certain inherent privilige, and thus racist.

Real estate agencies didn't write codes, rules and laws that kept us out of the high rent districts and middle class neighborhoods.

And they dont right them now, as they would get their asses sued off, and no one would actually live there, because that's racist as shit, and this isn't the 50s.

Property values don't go down when more than 10 percent of our neighborhood is saturated with people of our race.

Our children aren't sitting in classrooms with teachers who are likely not to have even a minor degree in the courses they are teaching.

So apparently, there are no white children in black neighborhoods, it just doesn't happen. There are no school for white kids in poor areas, cause you know, rednecks and hillbillies aren't a thing.

Young white men are not being gunned down by black police officers in epidemic numbers.

Neither are black men. Yes, police are overusing force in a number of places, but that's, again, not about race, but about the cops themselves. Look at how many cops automatically kill someone's dog because they're there to arrest the owner. That's not doggist, that's someone who shouldnt have a gun.

Our churches aren't being burned to the ground, nor or our church members in danger of being gunned down in prayer meetings.

Love how he just basically lumped all minorities together as having their churches burned down. By the way, no one is burning down black churches anymore. This, again, is an argument that might have been okay a few decades back, but is horribly out of date here.

Second, the people gunned down drew anger from EVERYONE. There is not one single person in the media who has been like, "Well, they had it coming." No, it's a tragedy, and everyone accepts that it's a tragedy, but the guy was a fucking hate-filled nutjob, and not exactly analagous to general population.

We are not saying to ourselves as part of a white man's code of conduct that when a police car drives by us without pulling us over even though we are exceeding the speed limit something like: "Well, once again I didn't get pulled over because I'm white."

No, just like every other person, we're just happy we didn't get pulled over. This again is assigning race to what may not be related to race. Cops dont bust every speeder, and let most go past, only generally pulling over people if they're excessively speeding, or if their driving is erratic, or it looks like they're up to no good.

We are not saying to ourselves when our child didn't get her college application rejected with a questionable GPA something like: "Well, thank God she's white and that her mother graduated from that school 25 years ago."

I think you've conflated white with Rich. Trust me, I got rejected from schools, and there was no privilige to get me in the door. I'm not some legacy that means I'm totally going to get in right off the bat, and most of the people I know aren't either.

We are not saying to ourselves when the prosecutor reduces our son's charges from aggravated assault to loitering and sets him free with a small fine and time served: "Wow, that white prosecutor made sure my white son got a break that the black man who got convicted of that crime last week didn't get."

1) Was it the same judge?
2) What were their priors, respectively?

This is another racist assumption. I've seen black judges who absolutely throw the book at black folks who break the law, along with asian judges, white judges. Every judge is different. The simple point of person getting jail time, and one person not is not evidence of racism or privilige

The journey to seeing and understanding the pernicious consequences of privilege includes the harder work of seeing what isn't there to be seen.

... Mother of CHRIST, if something isn't there to be seen, it isn't there. That means that you have to actual inject racism into a place that it isn't present, so that you can find proof of it.

I have started practicing this as a discipline.
When I walk into a convenience store to get a receipt for my gas and the young woman at the
counter greets me with a smile and a kind word, I tell myself "She felt comfortable doing that
because I'm white."

... No, it's her fucking job. I smiled and greeted plenty of people at wal-Mart while pissed off and angry, cause that's. my. job. also, maybe she thinks you're cute, or maybe you're a regular, and she recognizes you, and maybe, just fucking maybe, she's just a polite person, and greets fucking everyone, regardless of race.

When I see a highway patrolman pass me by while I'm exceeding the speed limit or, as actually
happened two weeks ago, I get pulled over for that and let off without a ticket, I say to myself: "That happened because I'm white."

Wow, you have actually managed to destroy cops being nice to you as a thing. Way to waste that's officers good nature.

When I drive through the many border checkpoints we have set up here in the Southwest along the
Mexican border, and as I roll down my window and make my stop at the guard gate, and as the
border patrol agent simply glances at my face before waging me on with a perfunctory "have a good day," I say to myself:
"That is the result of my being white."

No the fuck it isn't. It's the result of you having your paperwork in order, not getting randomly tapped for a search, and the patrol agent doing his fucking job. They may also remember you from all the times you've passed through before, and thus knows you're just going about your business, and don't need to be checked.

I don't know in the end if any of those were in fact true statements. That isn't the point of
this exercise. The point is to create a consciousness from which I can no longer let myself
escape.

That's not consciousness. You were already conscious of racism, we all fucking are. What you're doing is creating an alternate fucking reality that doesn't line up with what actually occurs in the world.

I want to be clear about something. This solves nothing. I can notice, and still be happy and
content with the privilege I am afforded.

It's nice that you have privilige, but my offense is at you assuming I have privilige purely based on the color of my skin.

I want to be clear about something else. Whatever solutions are going to come that we ourselves
will offer the agency of our privilege for aren't coming without this basic awareness.

WE all are aware of racism, it's been worked on for more than 70 years, man. Is it perfect? Of course not, but there's no reason to cast down all the great people who have suffered and died working toward an end to racism.

When I taught White Privilege studies to a class of Masters of Divinity students at Eden
Theological Seminary, the assignment I left the students with every day was this: "Tell me
what you see." There is a passage in my sacred texts that reads: "Let those who have eyes to see, see." There is so much more to be seen than what white men will let there eyes take notice of.

Again with the run of trying to create racism where none exists... and you're a teacher?!

I invite the white men of America with me on this journey of discovery. Ask those who don't
share your privilege to tell you what they see. It may not have escaped your attention that
whether we are talking about Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Michael Brown, what whites see and
what blacks see are not the same thing. There is a reason for that. Privilege comes at a price -- and the price is the loss of a vision that admits facts that make accepting the privilege uncomfortable.

Trayvon Martin: Killed by a mexican man. Again, no privilige for general whites, that's just you assuming you based on blinders you've put on to the suffering of all races.

Therefore, I extend an invitation to a seeing that engenders the kind of discomfort with
privilege that creates the space necessary for real justice to emerge. Don't worry about carrying
the burden of solving this pervasive injustice: for good reason, you and I won't be entrusted

that work. But only when we see what others are more than happy to show us about ourselves will we be open then to hearing what they have to teach us about what will be required for true equality to emerge.

The acceptance of this invitation, and the resulting years of work it will take us all to open our eyes to that we have been conditioned to ignore for the sake of our privilege, is the first step in the proverbial journey of a thousand miles. White men in America, I invite you to walk this road with me.

Jeff
07-26-2015, 07:01 AM
I finally read the letter in it's entirety, and it is trash, for starters any vehicle that crosses the check points in the S.W. it is very rare ( in fact I have never seen it happen unless at the moment you are going through a dog alerts the officers of a car with something in it, but at the very least they look in the car and ask where you are heading ( or some other trash just to watch how you answer, they are trained to watch your body language )

This guy wants to make white people feel bad for being white, well just the fact that some sorry SOB has to write something like this makes me prouder than ever to be white.

LongTermGuy
07-26-2015, 10:45 PM

*A mixture of thoughts...Most right on the money....keep reading....:salute:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2015, 10:51 PM
I finally read the letter in it's entirety, and it is trash, for starters any vehicle that crosses the check points in the S.W. it is very rare ( in fact I have never seen it happen unless at the moment you are going through a dog alerts the officers of a car with something in it, but at the very least they look in the car and ask where you are heading ( or some other trash just to watch how you answer, they are trained to watch your body language )

This guy wants to make white people feel bad for being white, well just the fact that some sorry SOB has to write something like this makes me prouder than ever to be white.
The certified asshole that wrote that stupid shit needs his sorry ass stomped for his racism, lying and utter stupidity. He has an attitude adjustment coming --big time IMHO.-Tyr

Perianne
07-26-2015, 11:29 PM
The certified asshole that wrote that stupid shit needs his sorry ass stomped for his racism, lying and utter stupidity. He has an attitude adjustment coming --big time IMHO.-Tyr

That sentence may contain (in one sentence) the most references ever to the human solid waste excretory system. Well done, sir! :)

LongTermGuy
07-26-2015, 11:55 PM

:clap::clap::clap:

*Slap this fool!

`top 10 bitch slaps ever`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF7MPS7YsH0

DragonStryk72
07-27-2015, 10:04 AM
This felt like it needed to be here:

WALLACE: Black History Month, you find ...

FREEMAN: Ridiculous.

WALLACE: Why?

FREEMAN: You're going to relegate my history to a month?

WALLACE: Come on.

FREEMAN: What do you do with yours? Which month is White History Month? Come on, tell me.

WALLACE: I'm Jewish.

FREEMAN: OK. Which month is Jewish History Month?

WALLACE: There isn't one.

FREEMAN: Why not? Do you want one?

WALLACE: No, no.

FREEMAN: I don't either. I don't want a Black History Month. Black history is American history.

WALLACE: How are we going to get rid of racism until ...?

FREEMAN: Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man. And I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman. You're not going to say, "I know this white guy named Mike Wallace." Hear what I'm saying?
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/blackhistory.asp#tuhkTQx8KAIrooTU.99

gabosaurus
07-27-2015, 11:22 AM
With a few exceptions, everyone is privileged compared to where society was a century ago.