PDA

View Full Version : A Reason Now Is The Time For Iran Deal

Kathianne
07-25-2015, 11:36 PM
Giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Time left for impeachment? Not enough:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/421600/obama-deserves-impeachment-iran

Congress Must Hold Obama Accountable for His Deception Over Iran by ANDREW C. MCCARTHY July 25, 2015 4:00 AM

By lying and withholding information about the agreement, he gives aid and comfort to America’s enemy. The president “must certainly be punishable for giving false information to the Senate.”

One can imagine hearing such counsel from a contemporary United States senator on the receiving end of President Obama’s “full disclosure” of the nuclear deal with Iran. But the admonition actually came from James Iredell, a champion of the Constitution’s ratification, who was later appointed to the Supreme Court by President George Washington.

A little over a year ago, I recounted Iredell’s cautionary words in Faithless Execution. They echo an instructive illustration offered by James Madison, the Constitution’s principal author: If the president were “to commit any thing so atrocious” as to fraudulently rig Senate approval of an international agreement, he would “be impeached and convicted.”

The hypothetical is telling as we consider Obama’s Iran deal. The Constitution makes treason a ground for impeachment, but it seems to have been outside Madison’s contemplation that a president would actually be so insidious as to use his foreign-affairs power to give aid and comfort to an enemy of the United States. On that score, note that as soon as Obama’s deal was announced, not only was Iran’s foreign minister vowing to continue funding jihadist terror; the regime’s “supreme leader,” Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was also extolling the continued Iranian call for “Death to America.”

Madison could not fathom a president who undermines the Constitution’s treaty requirements by the ruse of labeling a treaty an “agreement” or a “joint plan of action.” Still less could he imagine a president who resorts to chicanery in communicating the terms of an international agreement to the Congress. Such duplicity must have seemed inconceivable. Yet now, it is not just conceivable.

It is happening:

Obama’s original stated commitment to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear-weapons power has deteriorated into a deal that enables Iran to become a nuclear-weapons power by abiding by the deal’s terms. The mullahs’ inevitable cheating will merely speed up matters; the outcome is already certain.

Obama is willfully providing material support to the mullahs’ terrorism (a felony violation of federal law) — the deal will inject over $100 billion into Iran’s economy, and Iran brags that it will continue its open and notorious funding of Hezbollah and other anti-American, anti-Western, and anti-Israel “allies” (while the administration splutters that, gee whiz, curbing terrorism was not part of the negotiations).

Obama not only lifts restrictions on Iran’s traffic in ballistic missiles and conventional weapons (which were also not supposed to be part of the negotiations) but also looks the other way while Russia sells the mullahs hundreds of sophisticated surface-to-air missiles — missiles that will be used against American forces when, inevitably, a future president decides to deal differently with our enemies.

Obama’s deal, rationalized as necessary to delay (but no longer to forbid) Iran’s nuclearization, obliges the United States to protect Iranian nuclear facilities from sabotage — i.e., the deal makes America the scourge of erstwhile allies like Israel, with which we have colluded in impeding our actual enemy’s nuclear progress.

Yet, however shocking they may be, these acknowledged concessions do not fully convey the depth of the president’s betrayal. After a few days of misdirection, administration officials now admit that there are “side deals” that the administration has not revealed to Congress and does not intend to make public.

So far, we know of two “side deals” — who knows how many more there may actually be? As the Center for Security Policy’s Fred Fleitz writes in National Review, they involve (a) a full accounting of Iran’s prior nuclear activities (many of which are believed to have been in blatant violation of international law) and (b) access to the Parchin military base, where Iran has conducted explosive testing related to nuclear missiles.

...His administration now cynically claims that these critical agreement components — the rationale for lifting American sanctions on and making American commitments to the “Death to America” regime — actually have nothing to do with America . . . they are strictly between Tehran and the IAEA. Translation: Blame the IAEA, not Obama, for the abandonment of Obama’s core commitments.

This would be laughable if it were not so offensive — and so perilous. Put aside that the Constitution does not permit the U.S. government to delegate American national security to anyone. The IAEA is not an independent actor. It is an international bureaucracy forged by the United States in the 1950s. Not only is the U.S. is a staple of its governing board; the American people underwrite over 25 percent of its budget. Furthermore, the IAEA reports to the United Nations (to which the American taxpayers’ contribution also far exceeds that of other countries) and, specifically, to the U.N. Security Council (of which the United States remains the dominant permanent member).

Now consider this: Under cover of this IAEA ruse, Obama ran to the Security Council and rammed through a resolution commencing implementation of his Iran deal before Congress or the American people could consider it. He thus undermined American sovereignty and the Constitution by scheming to impose an international-law fait accompli. And he thus undermined American national security by transferring his inspection commitments to an international agency that he knows is not close to being capable of executing them — an agency that will be further hampered by notice restrictions that, as Charles Krauthammer concludes, render the inspections “farcical” in any event.

The Constitution forbids providing aid and comfort to America’s enemies. And the Framers’ notion that a president would be punishable for deceiving Congress regarding the conduct of foreign affairs meant that lawmakers would be obliged to use their constitutional powers to protect the United States — not merely shriek on cable television as if they were powerless spectators.

Well?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Time left for impeachment? Not enough:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/421600/obama-deserves-impeachment-iran

As more and more time comes to pass, my impeachment calls from years ago just keep on being proven valid and keenly insightful. My admonishments about his Executive Orders, his usurping Congress, thumbing his noes as SCOTUS, ETC.

As has been my judgment made on the character, lawlessness, corruption and treason of this President.

Nice to finally see the some of rest of the world wake up to the horrific monster in its midst!!! -Tyr

Kathianne
07-26-2015, 12:25 AM
As more and more time comes to pass, my impeachment calls from years ago just keep on being proven valid and keenly insightful. My admonishments about his Executive Orders, his usurping Congress, thumbing his noes as SCOTUS, ETC.

As has been my judgment made on the character, lawlessness, corruption and treason of this President.

Nice to finally see the some of rest of the world wake up to the horrific monster in its midst!!! -Tyr

Who hasn't notice him? Can't impeach feelings or 'gut.'

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2015, 12:41 AM
Who hasn't notice him? Can't impeach feelings or 'gut.'

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/02/27/power-presidency-turley

Thursday, February 27, 2014
E-mail Twitter (54) facebook (1029)
Law Professor Says U.S. At A ‘Constitutional Tipping Point’

Constitutional expert Jonathan Turley says a “massive gravitational shift” of power to the presidency has created a “constitutional crisis” for the U.S.

In his testimony at a House Judiciary Committee hearing yesterday, Turley said this shift did not begin with President Obama, but that “it has accelerated at an alarming rate under this administration.” Turley emphasized that he does not view the president as a dictator, but he does think the problem is urgent.

The following is an excerpt of his prepared remarks:

As someone who voted for President Obama and agrees with many of his policies, it is often hard to separate the ends from the means of presidential action. Indeed, despite decades of thinking and writing about the separation of powers, I have had momentary lapses where I privately rejoiced in seeing actions on goals that I share, even though they were done in the circumvention of Congress. For example, when President Obama unilaterally acted on greenhouse gas pollutants, I was initially relieved. I agree entirely with the priority that he has given this issue. However, it takes an act of willful blindness to ignore that the greenhouse regulations were implemented only after Congress rejected such measures and that a new sweeping regulatory scheme is now being promulgated solely upon the authority of the President. We are often so committed to a course of action that we conveniently dismiss the means as a minor issue in light of the goals of the Administration. Many have embraced the notion that all is fair in love and politics. However, as I have said too many times before Congress, in our system it is often more important how we do something than what we do. Priorities and policies (and presidents) change. What cannot change is the system upon which we all depend for our rights and representation.

Turley joins Here & Now’s Jeremy Hobson to discuss the issue.

Interview Highlights: Jonathan Turley

On President Obama’s role in the power shift

“This certainly did not begin with him. We’ve seen a gradual sort of gravitational shift of power from the legislative to the executive branch. It was prominent during the Bush years, where I was also very critical, but it certainly accelerated under President Obama. And the most serious violations, in my view, are various cases when he went to Congress, as in the immigration field, as in the healthcare field, as for very specific things, and was rejected, and then decided just to order those on his own. He’s also been accused of shifting large amounts of money from their appointed or appropriated purpose to other purposes. These really drive at the heart of the separation of powers.”

On the acceleration of this power shift

“These are really sort of Fellini-esque moments for someone who studies the Constitution. The framers assumed — most famously, James Madison — that ambition would check ambition in our system. But the legislative branch, for the last two presidents, has been virtually inured. It’s gotten to the point where the shift of power is so significant that I think we have to stop and take notice. There’s no question that previous presidents abused their power, but what we’re seeing with the Obama administration is really a systemic circumvention of Congress, and remarkably, he’s doing that with the applause of his own party, members of the legislative branch.”

On how he feels the American people should be reacting

“People need to understand, policies change and even presidents change. But these powers are hard to get back, and I think that people will rue the day when they were silent as we created this über-presidency, this massively powerful presidency, and created this instability within the system. Because what Madison really foresaw was that the three branches were like orbs or planets, that were locked in orbit by their self interest, by their checks and balances. That’s a very unstable orbit now, because of this shift of power. And the problem that we have is this concept of ‘all is fair in love and politics,’ that people can’t see beyond how they feel about immigration, and how they feel about environment, or more importantly, how they feel about President Obama. And that’s very short-sighted. They have to see a farther horizon that’s going to affect our children when we change the system.”

Sure seems this Constitutional expert saw more than just "gut" or "feelings" in obama actions.
And since then we have have had even more, lately this treasonous Iran deal(unauthorized treaty)
that by any logical reckoning threatens not only our ally Israel's security but ours as well. -Tyr
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit---

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/12/04/a-different-hearing-or-different-elephant-washington-post-portrays-republicans-at-presidential-abuse-hearing-as-impeachment-obsessed/

Hearing Or Elephant? Washington Post Portrays Republicans At Presidential Abuse Hearing As Impeachment Obsessed

1, December 4, 2013 jonathanturley Bizarre, Congress, Constitutional Law, Media, Politics

The Washington Post has a controversial take on yesterday’s hearing in its coverage by Dana Milbank. The hearing raised the serious question of a pattern of allegedly unconstitutional actions by President Obama in either barring enforcement of federal law or directly violating those laws. However, the Washington Post only reported on the fact that impeachment was raised in the hearing in the discussion of the constitutional means left to Congress to address presidential abuse. Republicans object that the Post piece misses 99 percent of the hearing detailing the rise of an imperial presidency under Obama and four hours of discussion of the dangerous shift of power in the tripartite system. Impeachment or presidential abuse. It seems that two hearings occurred simultaneously. Both sides appear to be claiming the other is blinded by bias. The Milbank and Republican accounts appear a modern version of the parable of the elephant and the six blind men.

Now, I was the lead witness but I was testifying through the haze of a raging flu. So I went back and checked. Impeachment was mentioned in passing but it was quickly discounted. Indeed, I specifically testified that, as someone who testified at the Clinton impeachment, I did not view such a measure as warranted given the ambiguity of past decisions. Indeed, the references to impeachment were made in the context of the loss of meaningful options for Congress to respond to such encroachments when the President reserved the right to suspend portions of laws and fought access to the courts in challenging such decisions. Yet, the Post simply reported that the word impeachment came up (not surprisingly) in a discussion of the options given by Framers to Congress in dealing with unlawful presidential conduct.

During the hearing, not only did I discount impeachment as an option, but a Democratic member specifically asked the panel about the references to impeachment. No one could remember how it came up but it was clear that no one thought it was a substantial issue — or significant part of the hearing.

It is certainly true that House members have raised impeachment issues previously (just as some Democrats raised impeachment during the Bush Administration). However, it actually came up little in the hearing which was 99 percent focused on the separation of powers and the rise of an uber-presidency under Bush and Obama.

In a discussion of checks on the presidency, impeachment is one of the enumerated options given to Congress. Notably, past judicial opinions involving such separation of powers controversies have also discussed impeachment with the power of the purse as devices given to the Congress. In discussing impeachment with these other powers, courts were not advocating impeachment or suggesting that it was a viable solution in that given case.

I understand that Milbank tries to offer humorous takes on hearings and this is an editorial. I often enjoy his wit. However, it left a rather distortive impression of the hearing that tossed aside hours of substantive discussion of the real problem faced by Congress. Notably, Republicans at the hearing criticized both Bush and Obama for this trend, which I thought was noteworthy.

What was also curious was Milbank’s quote of my testimony. He stated “[t]he majority’s witnesses added to the accusations. George Washington University’s Jonathan Turley said Obama had ‘claimed the right of the king to essentially stand above the law.'” What is missing is that I was discussing the controversy involving James I and expressly said that I was not suggesting that Obama was acting as a King. Rather, I was discussing the so-called “royal prerogative” to stand above the law and how that general controversy motivated the Framers some 150 years later to include the “Take Care” clause. This was later referred to as a “dispensing power” in the context of presidential excesses. This was also part of my written testimony posted earlier. In fairness of Milbank, I was indeed arguing that President Obama had violated the Take Care Clause and was placing himself above the law in these instances. However, in the midst of the impeachment focus of the piece, it seemed to suggest that I was calling for impeachment.

But back to the main thrust of the hearing. The focus in the Post on impeachment (rather than alleged abuses by Obama) left the impression that Republicans are simply all about impeachment. Republicans often complain that it is the Post that is blinded by its own view of Republicans. It bring us to the ancient story of the six blind men and the elephant.

300px-Blind

Once upon a time, there lived six blind men in a village. One day the villagers told them, “Hey, there is an elephant in the village today.” They had no idea what an elephant is. They decided, “Even though we would not be able to see it, let us go and feel it anyway.” All of them went where the elephant was. Everyone of them touched the elephant.

“Hey, the elephant is a pillar,” said the first man who touched his leg.

“Oh, no! it is like a rope,” said the second man who touched the tail.

“Oh, no! it is like a thick branch of a tree,” said the third man who touched the trunk of the elephant.

“It is like a big hand fan” said the fourth man who touched the ear of the elephant.

“It is like a huge wall,” said the fifth man who touched the belly of the elephant.

“It is like a solid pipe,” Said the sixth man who touched the tusk of the elephant.

They began to argue about the elephant and everyone of them insisted that he was right. It looked

Kathianne
07-26-2015, 12:49 AM
Sure seems this Constitutional expert saw more than just "gut" or "feelings" in obama actions.
And since then we have have had even more, lately this treasonous Iran deal(unauthorized treaty)
that by any logical reckoning threatens not only our ally Israel's security but ours as well. -Tyr

I remember when Turley wrote that, I agreed then and still. Then as now, it is up to Congress to take back their powers, along with the responsibilities that accompany the use of them. It's not just the 'liberals' who wish to take shots at those who make the choices, the 'conservatives' too wish to blame without taking the stands that can be judged.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2015, 12:56 AM
I remember when Turley wrote that, I agreed then and still. Then as now, it is up to Congress to take back their powers, along with the responsibilities that accompany the use of them. It's not just the 'liberals' who wish to take shots at those who make the choices, the 'conservatives' too wish to blame without taking the stands that can be judged.
Congress's failure can not be allowed to let the President engage in treason or fundamentally alter this Representative Republic to such a degree that it is dire danger of destruction!
The Founders of this nation would not want such insanity and/or cowardice to win out and allow a dictatorship to be born here.
Yes, reality is we are seeing that now but remedy may be a dark and bitter pill to have to swallow.
Civil war may yet come from his actions even if it is years after the traitor has left the scene.
He should be brought to justice for his treason IMHO.
However , most likely never will be! Sad tragic and a calamity we have brought on ourselves by not utterly defeating the leftists in the dem party.-Tyr

Kathianne
07-26-2015, 01:05 AM
Congress's failure can not be allowed to let the President engage in treason or fundamentally alter this Representative Republic to such a degree that it is dire danger of destruction!
The Founders of this nation would not want such insanity and/or cowardice to win out and allow a dictatorship to be born here.
Yes, reality is we are seeing that now but remedy may be a dark and bitter pill to have to swallow.
Civil war may yet come from his actions even if it is years after the traitor has left the scene.
He should be brought to justice for his treason IMHO.
However , most likely never will be! Sad tragic and a calamity we have brought on ourselves by not utterly defeating the leftists in the dem party.-Tyr

Are you looking for a new type of governing? Time to get rid of the Constitution?

This is the way our system works.

If the president is acting unlawfully, it's up to members of Congress to respond. Then again, they have always been unlikely to act without the people pushing, holding them accountable.

Again, it's a process that takes more than strong words, though they have their place in inspiring actions. Actions include lighting a fire under your elected representatives and having others encouraged to do the same.

The government is no better than its citizens.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2015, 01:18 AM
Are you looking for a new type of governing? Time to get rid of the Constitution?

This is the way our system works.

If the president is acting unlawfully, it's up to members of Congress to respond. Then again, they have always been unlikely to act without the people pushing, holding them accountable.

Again, it's a process that takes more than strong words, though they have their place in inspiring actions. Actions include lighting a fire under your elected representatives and having others encouraged to do the same.

The government is no better than its citizens.

How about we just just go with abiding by the Constitution and yes if the Tree Of Liberty must have blood then so be it.
Was Jefferson wrong on that quote my friend?
If not citizens in the future may have to do what sold out cowardly officials fail to do.
obama has forced this situation upon us all, not one of my making.
I just remind folks, that freedom does not come without dear costs.

Strong words must be tried first before any sacrificial actions .........
Are we about to face that test???
My guess is yes, since the traitor in charge now still had lots of time to further destroy our nation.
He simply must be brought to justice if we are to avoid the fall of this once great nation IMHO.-Tyr

Kathianne
07-26-2015, 01:34 AM
How about we just just go with abiding by the Constitution and yes if the Tree Of Liberty must have blood then so be it.
Was Jefferson wrong on that quote my friend?
If not citizens in the future may have to do what sold out cowardly officials fail to do.
obama has forced this situation upon us all, not one of my making.
I just remind folks, that freedom does not come without dear costs.

Strong words must be tried first before any sacrificial actions .........
Are we about to face that test???
My guess is yes, since the traitor in charge now still had lots of time to further destroy our nation.
He simply must be brought to justice if we are to avoid the fall of this once great nation IMHO.-Tyr

So, you are advocating revolution over the Constitutional method? Why? Bloodshed is preferable to working the system?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2015, 08:13 AM
So, you are advocating revolution over the Constitutional method? Why? Bloodshed is preferable to working the system?
Actually, I am not. I am pointing out what I think will occur as its almost a certainty that its too late to go the path you just cited mt friend..
Damn sure hope I am wrong about this!-- Tyr