PDA

View Full Version : Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska

LongTermGuy
07-28-2015, 11:48 PM
<cite class="byline vcard top-line" id="yui_3_18_1_1_1438145129007_1323" style="font-style: normal; font-size: 11px; line-height: 12.1000003814697px;">By Steve Quinn<abbr id="yui_3_18_1_1_1438145129007_1327" style="display: block;">38 minutes ago</abbr>

</cite>

JUNEAU, Alaska (Reuters) - A magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattled a wide area of south-central Alaska, including Anchorage, on Tuesday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, but there were no immediate reports of serious damage or injuries.
The tremor struck just after 6:30 p.m. Alaska time in a remote area about 40 miles south of Mount Redoubt, an active volcano near Cook Inlet, and 140 miles southwest of Anchorage, the state's largest city, the USGS said on its website.
It originated about 70 miles underground, the USGS said.

The quake generated shaking that was felt as far away as the port of Valdez, about 240 miles northeast of the tremor's epicenter, according to the agency. The quake was also felt in numerous communities of the Kenai Peninsula, such as Homer, Kenai and Nikiski, where one person reported on a Facebook posting that parked cars began to move.
Earthquakes of that magnitude, while capable of causing substantial damage if they occur near densely populated areas, are fairly common throughout seismically active Alaska.
A much stronger quake measured at a magnitude 6.9 struck Fox Island in the Aleutians chain, about 950 miles southwest of Anchorage, but was of little consequence.

More

http://news.yahoo.com/magnitude-6-3-earthquake-rattles-south-central-alaska-032904991.html

Rat
07-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Hope everyone there safe and no deaths. I remember that horrible quake in Alaska in 60s that was second most powerful recorded in history. I spent lot of time in California so seen personally how dangerous can be.

NightTrain
07-29-2015, 04:00 PM
Yep, Sharon and I were playing the board game Risk here in the dining room with the kids when it started. Rocked the house fairly good, the chandelier was swinging and it lasted for a couple of minutes.

Not a big deal though, earthquakes are common up here... and the way I understand it, the little ones are releasing energy so that the plates don't build up for a big 9+ job like Seattle/Portland are doing.

The 1964 earthquake was a monster, though... hope I never see one of those.

AllieBaba
07-29-2015, 04:18 PM
The quake in 1964 was 9.2 here in Oregon, accompanied by tsunami, and four ppl were killed. People here are pooping their panties over the thought of the Cascadia subduction quake that is being *predicted* that *might* be up to 9.5. I like to tell people who want to move here that it is a likelihood, but those of us who are natives, meh....

Rat
07-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Reading this. Interesting. Chile have record with 9.5 and Alaska next with 9.3. Wrath of God stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_earthquakes#Largest_earthquakes_by_magnit ude

NightTrain
07-29-2015, 04:39 PM
There's still lots of evidence of the destruction wrought by the '64 quake. A couple miles down Knik Road here by my house, there's an old fishing vessel that got carried inland about 2 miles on the tsunami. Valdez and Seldovia got wrecked by the wave, and almost anywhere you go there are old pilings from local docks that were destroyed by the wave and abandoned.

The old timers that were here have some fascinating stories about it, and I never tire of hearing more about it.

AllieBaba
07-29-2015, 06:58 PM
I thought it didn't kill anybody in Oregon, but it killed 4 I guess. Crescent City lost 10 or so I think. This is weird because I was just talking with people on facebook about it the other day! My cousin remembers having to drive home (we're on the Oregon coast, they were inland a little when the water hit) bumper deep in water. We deal with water on that road regularly in the winter because the river is tidal, and when everything converges you do get flooding and water over the road. But he said it wasn't just in a place or two, it was for 10 miles or so. Still..it's not the mass destruction that we hear predicted for the *next* one.