PDA

View Full Version : Peace and understanding

Augusto
07-29-2015, 02:37 PM
This thread is meant to be a nice place for atheists and religious people to talk about religion. It's up to each one of us to try our best to act nicely and to ignore those who for any reason try to turn this space into a flame war thread.

What I have in mind is that this works as an oasis. I will not be bringing arguments that sound clearly offensive to christians and I invite the few atheists of this forum to do the same, so we don't end up completely divided as if we were in war.

We can release our tensions elsewhere, while still keep at least one place for civil and well meaned comunication.

My first contribution is a video I found pretty interesting of a young and beautiful atheist woman about her view of theists when confronted with an atheist. This video should be interesting for both sides. I got the idea of creating this thread after watching that video, please, take a little bit of your time and watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwnSGEvB6-M

Let's try to enrich our understanding of eachother. Please, comment on the video or anything else you want to know/discuss. It's up to you..!

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-29-2015, 04:27 PM
This is a right wing site where few want to discuss anything that does not follow their present mind set.

A question I would like to ad her to the members is this.

What would it take to change your mind?

Let me give an example. If your own church hierarchy were to start talking of hell not existing after many years of telling you it did, would you change church or change your mind about hell?

I am taking this example from a real world situation so please view these links before posting your opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_rmQuagpY&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

Regards
DL

AllieBaba
07-29-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm not interested in changing my mind. I have no desire to reject God.

Augusto
07-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Fair enough. But if you are interested in understanding our view, or how we handle particular subjects in our daily life, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to explain myself.

jimnyc
07-29-2015, 04:41 PM
This is a right wing site where few want to discuss anything that does not follow their present mind set.

If you think there's no discussion to be had, and you pre-judge everyone (based on how they respond to your tripe) - would you like me to help you find the logout link? But we ALL know that it means very, very little to you about how folks respond or what they have to say, as your trolling will remain the same.

NightTrain
07-29-2015, 04:48 PM
I'm just waiting for another helping of Gnostic Flavored Copypasta™! I guess I'd settle for lesser grade, though, if I had to.

Nom nom nom

Augusto
07-29-2015, 04:57 PM
I think we could really use this thread to relax and talk respectfully to understand eachother. But I guess it's not up to me to decide if this attempt will succeed.

It can be done only if others want it to happen.

You know, I was an evangelic christian myself. I have so much knowledge, and I have lots of experiences... all this things that could be useful. I'm sure each of you have many experiences and many questions as well.

Should we try, or should we simply act as opposite poles and keep the flame going...?

NightTrain
07-29-2015, 05:16 PM
There's really nothing to discuss.

You won't shake my Christian beliefs, contrary to what you and your buddy Gnostic are hoping. I really seriously doubt that you could dissuade anyone from their religious beliefs, and if you were somehow able to manage it, then they would be a weak-minded individual who never really thought about it.

No one on this board is in that category, I'm afraid.

See, it doesn't matter to me that you choose to spend eternity in hell. That's your choice and I respect it. I have no interest in joining you on your ultimate journey to a very undesirable place, and I can see where you and Gnostic might want some company... but I believe the words in the Bible that say there's a special place for people like you and Gnostic who try to turn believers away from God. It won't be pretty, Pilgrim.

I think most of us are baffled why you and Gnostic don't reciprocate the respect of our beliefs. The awkward & clumsy attempts to shake our beliefs are nothing more than a humorous, and yet annoying, noise in the background.

Believe me when I say you are wasting your time with your efforts.

jimnyc
07-29-2015, 05:24 PM
I think we could really use this thread to relax and talk respectfully to understand eachother. But I guess it's not up to me to decide if this attempt will succeed.

It can be done only if others want it to happen.

You know, I was an evangelic christian myself. I have so much knowledge, and I have lots of experiences... all this things that could be useful. I'm sure each of you have many experiences and many questions as well.

Should we try, or should we simply act as opposite poles and keep the flame going...?

FWIW - as I don't think you know Gnostic well enough yet. He very rarely, if ever answers questions to his own threads. And when he does answer, it's nothing but a youtube video or similar that doesn't even address the question. He also wants to seemingly insult as many as possible. I think your intent is great. I think it WOULD be awesome to see atheists and Christians maybe have a better understanding. But it will be difficult enough, obviously, and near impossible thanks to 'ol Gnostic. I might suggest that if he tries to be antagonistic, that folks simply ignore him and continue with being reasonable. He has NO desire to be reasonable and is not here to discuss, but rather insult only.

Augusto
07-29-2015, 05:25 PM
I believe you, but since the religion zone exist, this thread can still be useful for those who want to discuss something in particular on a serious way, without the kind of agressive behavior you show by talking about hell.

Now, since you brough the subject of hell I want you to think of the children of atheists, such as my son. From a neutral angle I could say my son wont really have this religious education and it's more than likely that he learns his values from me and my wife.

Let's say he is run by a car at the age of 7, what do you think it would be of him? Please don't answer. We are talking about my son here. I just want you to think about it.

A middle ground would work better if I don't talk about religion being a mental illness and you don't talk about atheists going to hell regardless of their actions and kindness, simply for not believing in a particular deity.

With that in mind, the thread is still open for anyone interested in civil discussion about anything related to any religion, as well as how atheists live their life... before hell and all.

See? We can talk without falling in an immediate exchange of insults.

gabosaurus
07-29-2015, 06:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssd3U_zicAI

AllieBaba
07-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Fair enough. But if you are interested in understanding our view, or how we handle particular subjects in our daily life, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to explain myself.

I don't need an explanation, you aren't that difficult a read.

tailfins
07-29-2015, 07:36 PM

Only as a mission opportunity. What some people miss is that Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Catholicism will get you to hell just as fast as Atheism. The only thing worse than being deceived is being evil and dealing in the Occult, actively seeking Satan's spirits. Authentic Christianity is the ONLY way. Worshiping Jesus PLUS somebody else is still rejecting Jesus.

John 14:6King James Version (KJV)6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Augusto
07-29-2015, 08:29 PM
Only as a mission opportunity. What some people miss is that Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Catholicism will get you to hell just as fast as Atheism. The only thing worse than being deceived is being evil and dealing in the Occult, actively seeking Satan's spirits. Authentic Christianity is the ONLY way. Worshiping Jesus PLUS somebody else is still rejecting Jesus.

There was a time in my life in which I embraced religion. I became an evangelic and started studying the Bible and doing everything I was supposed to do to find God and live a christian life. During that time I was convinced that I was in the real religion. This people did everything by the Bible. Yet, I started to think about my grandmother, an old lady I loved very much. She was a very kind person and she was already dead by that time.

The thing is she was a catholic all her life. Her husband (my grandfather) died of cancer many years before her and she used to have this little "sanctuary" (a picture, a candle, the image of Jesus and a little Virgin) in her room. She would pray to God in front of the picture of her husband every night before going to bed... you know, I was convinced that she died worshipping God in the wrong way, that Catholicism was an image worshipping religion that offended God and that priests were in general evil people.

My conclusion was that an honest and kind person could reach God regardless of their religion. I asumed she simply didn't know she was wrong and that God would welcome her in heaven. I asumed she was going to be young again in heaven and that my grandfather was going to be waiting for her, to kiss her and give her all the love she was deprived of during so many years.

You know, when I write this... I miss her. She was really a wonderful person. Putting aside my atheism, I trust people will agree with me that the speciphics of any religion shouldn't be a factor for good persons.

I miss her. I think of her very often and remember everything she told me. As an atheist I believe part of her still lives in my memory, in the good momments and the things she told me when I was a child. Specially her kindness. I took her as a model and try to honor her in my choices. She showed me that it was worth being a good person.

I hope I can share that inspiration with my son.

red state
07-29-2015, 09:31 PM

You won't shake my Christian beliefs, contrary to what you and your buddy Gnostic are hoping. I really seriously doubt that you could dissuade anyone from their religious beliefs, and if you were somehow able to manage it, then they would be a weak-minded individual who never really thought about it.

See, it doesn't matter to me that you choose to spend eternity in hell. That's your choice and I respect it. I have no interest in joining you on your ultimate journey to a very undesirable place, and I can see where you and Gnostic might want some company... but I believe the words in the Bible that say there's a special place for people like you and Gnostic who try to turn believers away from God. It won't be pretty, Pilgrim.

I think most of us are baffled why you and Gnostic don't reciprocate the respect of our beliefs. The awkward & clumsy attempts to shake our beliefs are nothing more than a humorous, and yet annoying, noise in the background.

SPOT ON! From what little I've seen of our new member, it truly would take a weak minded individual to fall for some of that junk. I've so many answers for the questions or points but I've learned to "shake the dust from my sandals" as the old saying goes.

It would be best for Jim to show GC to the door and then lock it but if we'd simply ignore the individual.....he/she may go away. As for GC, has that sumpin' N sumpin' ever responded to "regular" threads? Just askin'. I'm also asking that we do not feed the trolls.

V4R, Jim, NT.......my hat is off to you guys for handling this purty darn good but I'd especially send a shout out to V4R in his approach.

hjmick
07-29-2015, 09:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssd3U_zicAI

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gabosaurus again.

You beat me to it...

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm not interested in changing my mind. I have no desire to reject God.

Understood.

But why do you crave one in the first place?

Do you feel condemned and think you need a savior?

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 11:47 AM

You assume a lot. I don’t care how far up your God’s ass you want to keep your head. You might have noted that his reality, --- I do not bother questioning.

I question the morality you people follow and almost everything I post relates to that.

You and your friends do not even try to debate your positions and just keep spouting that I am wrong without even showing where. That is what children do.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 11:51 AM
FWIW - as I don't think you know Gnostic well enough yet. He very rarely, if ever answers questions to his own threads. And when he does answer, it's nothing but a youtube video or similar that doesn't even address the question. He also wants to seemingly insult as many as possible. I think your intent is great. I think it WOULD be awesome to see atheists and Christians maybe have a better understanding. But it will be difficult enough, obviously, and near impossible thanks to 'ol Gnostic. I might suggest that if he tries to be antagonistic, that folks simply ignore him and continue with being reasonable. He has NO desire to be reasonable and is not here to discuss, but rather insult only.

You misrepresent me as I am always pleased to answer any direct and pertinent question.

Show anywhere where I have not.

Reads
DL

Augusto
07-30-2015, 11:58 AM
Gentlemen, gentlemen please, peace and understanding... I'm sure we can talk and...

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7533&stc=1

...nevermind.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 11:58 AM

Do you think I and others are they rejecting Jesus, I use many o his quotes, or are we rejecting the notion of substitutionary atonement and the punishment of the innocent instead of the guilty?

Perhaps we just recognize that ----

Having another innocent person suffer for the wrongs we have done, --- so that we might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral.

Most here do not seem to recognize that simple moral fact.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 12:03 PM
"There's really nothing to discuss."

So why are you in a debate and discussion forum?

Regards
DL

Augusto
07-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Oh, Gnostic Christian Bishop, I must say you look like a pretty reasonable guy to me. +1 for being reasonable. It's nice to see someone open to discuss subjects with an open mind. Do you have an open mind? I think you do. Eitherway, maybe we can just talk and try to understand eachother, since you are actually a christian, and a good one, I must say, since you don't seem inclined to insult or to fall in any of those pharisee attitudes.

So, my first question: What do you, as a christian, think causes some theists to be so unsecure of their faith and so inclined to dismiss an honest approach to religious topics?

NightTrain
07-30-2015, 12:22 PM
You assume a lot. I don’t care how far up your God’s ass you want to keep your head. You might have noted that his reality, --- I do not bother questioning.

I question the morality you people follow and almost everything I post relates to that.

You and your friends do not even try to debate your positions and just keep spouting that I am wrong without even showing where. That is what children do.

Regards
DL

Hey, whatever makes you sleep at night, Slick. But I think we both know where you're headed in a few short years.

Augusto : There's no need to answer your hypothetical question, we both know the answer for that, as well. Except the blame for that travesty lies squarely on your shoulders.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Oh, Gnostic Christian Bishop, I must say you look like a pretty reasonable guy to me. +1 for being reasonable. It's nice to see someone open to discuss subjects with an open mind. Do you have an open mind? I think you do. Eitherway, maybe we can just talk and try to understand eachother, since you are actually a christian, and a good one, I must say, since you don't seem inclined to insult or to fall in any of those pharisee attitudes.

So, my first question: What do you, as a christian, think causes some theists to be so unsecure of their faith and so inclined to dismiss an honest approach to religious topics?

First. Let me be quick to correct you on my being a Christian. No. Hell no. I was born R.C. but even though I had the early sacraments, I never believed so cannot really say that I was ever a R.C. at heart.

I was basically a skeptic and atheist till I hit 36 or so. That is when my research and apotheosis had me label myself a Gnostic Christian. Without Gnosis, as described in this link, I would have likely taken the atheist label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ)

As to an opened mind, I like to think so but do have all the biases that one creates for one’s selfe over the years as protection against idiocy and gullibility.

I love to learn as that is one of the greatest pleasures one can have and I debate, in a sense, to lose as then I actually gain pleasure. For me to win a debate gives me nothing new and is giving the learning pleasure to my adversary.

To your last.

The further right one goes in religion, the less likely a decent discussion can follow. These poor souls have been indoctrinated into their family inherited religion and never really chose their God so would not know how to defend their theology because that takes logic and reason.

The right wingers here never learned via reason and logic, but only by what they call faith, and for us to try to show them with logic and reason that they religion is rather immoral goes right over their head.

Have you noted how they just trample over arguments that people like us put forward and just can’t follow the logic trails?

Here is why.

Martin Luther

“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

Let me end by saying that it is our social duty to keep trying help these guys, but this is what we fight.

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

Jonathan Swift

Regards

DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Hey, whatever makes you sleep at night, Slick. But I think we both know where you're headed in a few short years..

:lame2:

I see what kind of indoctrinating fear tactics were used on you when too young to shake off but trying the same garbage on an adult does not work. You might want to grow out of that carrot and stick mentality. Most today raise their children today quite well without using the rod.

Regards
DL

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 03:08 PM
Understood.

But why do you crave one in the first place?

Do you feel condemned and think you need a savior?

Regards
DL
I crave God (not A god) because God made me to seek Him out and to love him. The purpose of our creation was to love God. Therefore we're made with a desire to be with God from the center of our being.

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 03:10 PM
:lame2:

I see what kind of indoctrinating fear tactics were used on you when too young to shake off but trying the same garbage on an adult does not work. You might want to grow out of that carrot and stick mentality. Most today raise their children today quite well without using the rod.

Regards
DLActually, most do not. Kids today are not being raised well. They're unhappier than ever, they are more violent than ever, they are more criminal than ever, they are more addicted than ever. You might want to re-think that smug little comment...since it's not true.

Augusto
07-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Here's a story I wrote almost two years ago. Today I want to share it with you: There was this drunk guy, full of hate, who pregnant a woman and left her... with a letter to his offpring:

"This is your father speaking:

You, son of a hooker, are dirthy since the very moment you are born. You will always be dirty in my eyes. If you ever realize how despicable you really are because of your very nature (son of your mother), you may call me, and I'll help you be better, because I cannot love you the way you are.

Your loving father".

So the boy grow up and, confused and in need, decided to find his father, so he took the number and dialed, but there was no answer... even then, the boy trusted his father, and said many things throught the phone, because he assumed his father would be in the other side, listening... the boy knew the only reason his father was not answering was because he was so dirty, and so... years went... and this boy did his best to be good, so when his father finally appeared, he would receive the love he so much needed, so he was picking the phone over and over, just to tell his problems to his father, to say thanks for getting his mother pregnant and for allowing him to live, even when he was so despicable.

The boy turned into a fine man, whose only problem was this child trauma, which filled him with prejudice and confusion, but he was still a good person... always trying to be better, always trying to communicate with his father. Whenever anyone would question the behavior of his father, this man would defend his father, until the day of his death.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7EZZGT98hBU/Sh9X7ev8wOI/AAAAAAAABLc/Edzs532YcFY/s400/sad_phone_call.jpg

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 03:54 PM
Here's a story I wrote almost two years ago. Today I want to share it with you: There was this drunk guy, full of hate, who pregnant a woman and left her... with a letter to his offpring:

"This is your father speaking:

You, son of a hooker, are dirthy since the very moment you are born. You will always be dirty in my eyes. If you ever realize how despicable you really are because of your very nature (son of your mother), you may call me, and I'll help you be better, because I cannot love you the way you are.

Your loving father".

So the boy grow up and, confused and in need, decided to find his father, so he took the number and dialed, but there was no answer... even then, the boy trusted his father, and said many things throught the phone, because he assumed his father would be in the other side, listening... the boy knew the only reason his father was not answering was because he was so dirty, and so... years went... and this boy did his best to be good, so when his father finally appeared, he would receive the love he so much needed, so he was picking the phone over and over, just to tell his problems to his father, to say thanks for getting his mother pregnant and for allowing him to live, even when he was so despicable.

The boy turned into a fine man, whose only problem was this child trauma, which filled him with prejudice and confusion, but he was still a good person... always trying to be better, always trying to communicate with his father. Whenever anyone would question the behavior of his father, this man would defend his father, until the day of his death.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7EZZGT98hBU/Sh9X7ev8wOI/AAAAAAAABLc/Edzs532YcFY/s400/sad_phone_call.jpg

Is that relevant to something?

gabosaurus
07-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Good to see that pretty much every thread on DP comes down to an argument matching Augusto and AllieBaba.
Which is almost a thrilling as a tailfins vs. aboutime debate. :rolleyes:

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 04:30 PM
I crave God (not A god) because God made me to seek Him out and to love him. The purpose of our creation was to love God. Therefore we're made with a desire to be with God from the center of our being.

I agree partially with this. I see the pusher as our instincts and not a God and we do not want to be with God. We want to be God. Think in term of the Jewish Divine Council.

Google Freud's Father complex, read on the positive parts of it, and you will see that Freud and Yung came to the same conclusion and that it is basically our instincts trying to push us to be the fittest.

We mostly forget or more animal brains.

I have no problem with seekers after God. I promote it. That is what one of the Jesus archetypes preached.

This second link speaks to this. The rest I give in case you wish to see the bigger picture of what I promote.

Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers after God. God here I define as the best laws and rules to live life with.

We believe that those laws and rules, as Jesus said, are found in our minds/hearts. I use the following to try to illustrate this notion. A bit of history and then a mindset and method to do what I promote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D)

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate your higher mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw&feature=player_embedded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw&feature=player_embedded)

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y)

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human and a brethren to Jesus.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Actually, most do not. Kids today are not being raised well. They're unhappier than ever, they are more violent than ever, they are more criminal than ever, they are more addicted than ever. You might want to re-think that smug little comment...since it's not true.

The U.S. has the highest stats in the wold on crime and incarceration.

But if you check the stats, you will find that they are at the best level per capita that the U.S. has ever had.

Perhaps your area is a glitch to this trend.

Regards
DL

Gunny
07-30-2015, 04:41 PM
Good to see that pretty much every thread on DP comes down to an argument matching Augusto and AllieBaba.
Which is almost a thrilling as a tailfins vs. aboutime debate. :rolleyes:

Really. You the pot, or the kettle? When was the last time YOU had an honest debate, Gabs? Try to not hurt yourself thinking back that far.

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Good grief, I've only been here a couple of days.

NightTrain
07-30-2015, 06:44 PM
Good grief, I've only been here a couple of days.

You'll find that Gabby's reputation as a troll is well earned.

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 06:51 PM
The U.S. has the highest stats in the wold on crime and incarceration.

But if you check the stats, you will find that they are at the best level per capita that the U.S. has ever had.

Perhaps your area is a glitch to this trend.

Regards
DL
I have no idea what you're trying to say there.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
07-30-2015, 07:49 PM
I have no idea what you're trying to say there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oww4Ap3YZA

Regards
DL

Voted4Reagan
07-30-2015, 08:43 PM
You'll find that Gabby's reputation as a troll is well earned.

She can be quite the voice of reason at times... she is very intelligent...

And she is funny.... you got to give her that... she is likable....

AllieBaba
07-30-2015, 10:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oww4Ap3YZA

Regards
DL

Not interested. If you can't form your own coherent thoughts, I'm not interested in following links.

NightTrain
07-31-2015, 12:19 AM
She can be quite the voice of reason at times... she is very intelligent...

And she is funny.... you got to give her that... she is likable....

I just don't see it that way. 1 decent post out of 500 doesn't qualify as a decent person in my book.

I don't know if you saw the Gabby's Filthiest Hits thread in the Cage... go all the way through it, I kept finding more gems. There's much more that I didn't even get to.

Those comments tell me who she is as a person, not the occasional considerate or funny post.

I've been watching her troll with abhorrent comments for over 10 years now and this isn't a snap-judgement.

Voted4Reagan
07-31-2015, 09:31 AM
I just don't see it that way. 1 decent post out of 500 doesn't qualify as a decent person in my book.

I don't know if you saw the Gabby's Filthiest Hits thread in the Cage... go all the way through it, I kept finding more gems. There's much more that I didn't even get to.

Those comments tell me who she is as a person, not the occasional considerate or funny post.

I've been watching her troll with abhorrent comments for over 10 years now and this isn't a snap-judgement.

well... she can be a bit of a drama queen with it.... but it doesn't make her a bad person...

I kinda like Gabs.... I just wish she'd debate more and flame less.... She really does have a good head on her shoulders.

NightTrain
07-31-2015, 09:47 AM
well... she can be a bit of a drama queen with it.... but it doesn't make her a bad person...

I kinda like Gabs.... I just wish she'd debate more and flame less.... She really does have a good head on her shoulders.

She absolutely does have the capacity to be a great person and I think she does have the intelligence to make worthwhile posts. But she clearly gets more satisfaction from trolling than from honestly posting and bringing reasoned statements to the table.

Gabby is like Tailfins in that regard - making outlandish statements or posting offensive things simply to get a little attention. I guess they both subscribe to the idea that negative attention is better than none at all.

Speculative on my part, I really don't know what kinds of gears go round-and-round in their melons... but I think there's a couple of teeth missing on those sprockets to get the result that we see.

AllieBaba
07-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Wrong.

I would drive several hundred miles to help a fellow human being out of a dangerous life-threatening situation, even someone that I personally disliked.

That's basic_human_decency_v1.0 Obviously tail is not a stellar judge of character. My experience is that people who lack character fail to detect it in others as well, and it makes everything they do and say, suspect.

Gunny
07-31-2015, 11:29 AM

This has turned into the "Bash/Defend Gabs" thread? She is intelligent. Not as witty as she thinks; although, sometimes funny.

And I can kinda get the way she plays the game. I used to get on and just slaughter someone's post(s) with facts, figures, logic common sense only to get "you're just a rightwinger" as a response. Now, while I don't sit around baiting people like Gabby does, I don't bother with all that BS anymore because it doesn't matter. I could bring God Himself in as proof and there would STILL be those determined to not believe.

Now reverse the order. The first board I ever posted on had about 6 conservatives and 300 liberals.

jimnyc
07-31-2015, 11:31 AM
I don't think intelligence. wittiness, humor or any of those things really come into play. IMO, you are either a decent person to folks, or you are not. I suppose sometimes that may be in the eyes of the beholder too, as perhaps not everyone is on the receiving end of the decency.

Gunny
07-31-2015, 11:53 AM
I don't think intelligence. wittiness, humor or any of those things really come into play. IMO, you are either a decent person to folks, or you are not. I suppose sometimes that may be in the eyes of the beholder too, as perhaps not everyone is on the receiving end of the decency.

Of course you might not think that. But, you're Jim. You're not everyone else. I've seen crap that makes me look like that puppy with his cocked to the side thinking "WTF?"

There are people who dismiss Gabs as a lefty and don't get beyond that, and that's what they attack her on. She thinks she's funny. Witty. Sarcastic. And she thinks she has a point. She needs to stick to her day job. :laugh:

Getting someone's sense of humor is hard; especially, when they're words on a screen.

jimnyc
07-31-2015, 12:01 PM
Of course you might not think that. But, you're Jim. You're not everyone else. I've seen crap that makes me look like that puppy with his cocked to the side thinking "WTF?"

There are people who dismiss Gabs as a lefty and don't get beyond that, and that's what they attack her on. She thinks she's funny. Witty. Sarcastic. And she thinks she has a point. She needs to stick to her day job. :laugh:

Getting someone's sense of humor is hard; especially, when they're words on a screen.

I don't disagree with that. I know it can be difficult to be on the minority side posting, feeling outnumbered and attacked. It's how someone responds that matters to me. And how they respond to those that aren't being assholes to her. But I can only go so far. I've been on the protecting side, too many times. I've done the speak up in her defense routine, too many times. I've pointed out her good qualities and such, too many times. And I "could" still do such, as I said, I agree with the things you have stated. But I speak as an individual, personally, just for myself, someone who has done the above, and then got stabbed in the back for my efforts, too many times +1.

Gunny
07-31-2015, 12:10 PM
I don't disagree with that. I know it can be difficult to be on the minority side posting, feeling outnumbered and attacked. It's how someone responds that matters to me. And how they respond to those that aren't being assholes to her. But I can only go so far. I've been on the protecting side, too many times. I've done the speak up in her defense routine, too many times. I've pointed out her good qualities and such, too many times. And I "could" still do such, as I said, I agree with the things you have stated. But I speak as an individual, personally, just for myself, someone who has done the above, and then got stabbed in the back for my efforts, too many times +1.

I understand. The point is, she just comes here to get under peoples' skin. Most of us are over 40. She's not changing anyone's mind. Her parroting the DNC gets her nowhere here. So what would her motive be? She knows all of us and how we react.

I just take her for what she's worth, one post at a time.

jimnyc
07-31-2015, 12:14 PM
I understand. The point is, she just comes here to get under peoples' skin. Most of us are over 40. She's not changing anyone's mind. Her parroting the DNC gets her nowhere here. So what would her motive be? She knows all of us and how we react.

I just take her for what she's worth, one post at a time.

Yep, you nailed it. It's transparent, like this:

1- :poke: old guy #1

2- :poke: old guy #2

3- Be nice to one of the gals, to imply solidarity

4- :poke: old guy #3

5- :poke: old guy #4

6- Be nice to an old guy to lure in to web

7- Stick the old man till he bleeds to death, then leave web

8- Talk about Dodgers or another country to appear human like

9- :poke:another old guy and repeat process

Voted4Reagan
07-31-2015, 12:39 PM