PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump: P.T. Barnum With Bad Hair

tailfins
07-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Donald Trump: P.T. Barnum With Bad Hair

I am reminded these days of a notorious 19th century hoax as I observe from a safe distance the weird descent of the 2016 presidential contest into a cringe-inducing reality show, which happens to feature a veteran of embarrassing entertainment.I’m referring, of course, to Donald Trump.

In 1869, two men digging a well on the farm of William Newell in Cardiff, N.Y., unearthed what were purported to be the petrified remains of a 10-foot-tall man. The find was believed (by the especially gullible) to be the corpse of a prehistoric Goliath. But the “Cardiff Giant” was actually a statue that George Hull, an enterprising tobacco farmer and Newell’s cousin, had commissioned stonecutters in Iowa to carve from a block of gypsum. He then conspired with Newell to pay the well-diggers to exhume it.
Hordes flocked to the Newell farm and paid 50 cents per person to see the giant. Hull subsequently sold it for $23,000 (over $400,000 today) to a group of investors led by David Hannum, a minor rival to legendary impresario, Phineas Taylor Barnum. Hannum put the giant on display in Syracuse, where it continued to draw large crowds of the credulous and curious, despite it having been pronounced a fake by an eminent paleontologist and other scholars who had, among other things, noticed the fresh chisel marks that scarred the stone man.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/07/30/donald_trump_pt_barnum_with_bad_hair.html

indago
07-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Then, there was the other hoax by Barnum: the sign THIS WAY TO THE EGRESS

Unknowing folks, thinking this was another strange creature feature, went out the door and found themselves outside, and having to buy another ticket to get in.

gabosaurus
07-30-2015, 10:51 AM
http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/752/9182cf50-f75d-0132-f409-0e18518aac2f.jpg?w=780&fit=max&q=70

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt-9bDk7oJZyOl-GE4c7_NXCpqHbBcq_VlQ5YCCg9fotPbYmVM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/94/e1/cd/94e1cd411981e987b047c1fad6257498.jpg

stephanie
07-30-2015, 04:34 PM
I don't care what you call him. I'm enjoying the hell out of him stirring up the POT on the issues people are worried about. Like Illegal immigration. TOP OF THE LIST as we can see from his polling

Gunny
07-30-2015, 04:48 PM
I don't care what you call him. I'm enjoying the hell out of him stirring up the POT on the issues people are worried about. Like Illegal immigration. TOP OF THE LIST as we can see from his polling

I'm not. For one, I'm sick of hearing about he did "now". Second, he's dividing the right.

Nobody's happier about than the left because he isn't attacking Hillary. He's attacking other Republicans.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-30-2015, 04:54 PM

He makes the fools, asshats and liberal wimps cry! If that was all he did I'd applaud him big time but its not.
He has already forced all the other Republican candidates to speak about subjects they avoid and to address very important issues that WE THE PEOPLE are desperately wanting dealt with and damn soon!
While they dance around an unlit stick of dynamite and cry of bravery , he lights the damn thing and say --now dance!
For him to only be a businessman it sure seems he has both dems and republicans shaking in their corrupt boots!
That makes him a hero in my book....

Yet just watch in the first televised debates how they set it up to try to trip him up with every question--both sides! Tyr

Gunny
07-30-2015, 05:00 PM
He makes the fools, asshats and liberal wimps cry! If that was all he did I'd applaud him big time but its not.
He has already forced all the other Republican candidates to speak about subjects they avoid and to address very important issues that WE THE PEOPLE are desperately wanting dealt with and damn soon!
While they dance around an unlit stick of dynamite and cry of bravery , he lights the damn thing and say --now dance!
For him to only be a businessman it sure seems he has both dems and republicans shaking in their corrupt boots!
That makes him a hero in my book....

Yet just watch in the first televised debates how they set it up to try to trip him up with every question--both sides! Tyr

I disagree.

I'm not watching any debates. They're stupid and suicidal. The GOP is so stuck in the mud about "debates -- we gotta have debates", no one bothers to look at the fact the left are the ones sitting back and snickering as each candidate rips each other apart. They are self-destructive.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-30-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm not. For one, I'm sick of hearing about he did "now". Second, he's dividing the right.

Nobody's happier about than the left because he isn't attacking Hillary. He's attacking other Republicans.

In the primaries you have to attack the other candidates.
Show me any lies he has told on any of them
And her attacks Hillary. He stated he thinks she must drop out for her destroying evidence by destroyer her server while being under a Congressional Subpoena! And he is right, her doing that is no different than a racketeer/mobster burning accounting files and then saying I went thru them and burnt the ones of no consequence!
As to dividing, thats always part of the primary process.
Like him or not, he has forced the game players to use a different bat and ball!
It is bout ffing time on that methinks!-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-30-2015, 05:11 PM
I disagree.

I'm not watching any debates. They're stupid and suicidal. The GOP is so stuck in the mud about "debates -- we gotta have debates", no one bothers to look at the fact the left are the ones sitting back and snickering as each candidate rips each other apart. They are self-destructive.

I am not big on the debates myself( NEVER HAVE BEEN) but this time Trump has made them of a keen interest to me. Seems you and I agree about the political corruption afoot but each choose to approach it from a different angle.
Mine is this straight forward, be it TRUMP OR NOT, nothing other than death can stop me from voting for whichever Republican candidate gets the nod. As the ffing dems are all scum and treasonous bastards by way of the political ideology and actions, 95% of them should be brought to justice but will never happen....----Tyr

Gunny
07-30-2015, 05:15 PM
In the primaries you have to attack the other candidates.
Show me any lies he has told on any of them
And her attacks Hillary. He stated he thinks she must drop out for her destroying evidence by destroyer her server while being under a Congressional Subpoena! And he is right, her doing that is no different than a racketeer/mobster burning accounting files and then saying I went thru them and burnt the ones of no consequence!
As to dividing, thats always part of the primary process.
Like him or not, he has forced the game players to use a different bat and ball!
It is bout ffing time on that methinks!-Tyr

Here's an easy one: He's a conservative and Republican. That's an outright lie. He's an opportunist.

Which, btw, has NOTHING to do with Hillary.

Your thinking is warped. The primaries, which haven't even started, is about people voting and culling the herd. 10-man debates are NOT part of the process, nor is tearing each other down and providing the enemy with the ammo to kill you with.

How about running on what you stand for and let it speak for itself? Instead, you allow some news channel to tell you what to think.

stephanie
07-30-2015, 05:37 PM

good point dear. I didn't think about that. But Hillary isn't doing herself any favors. She just told one Rally she was at. She wouldn't answer a question on the Keystone pipeline because that's Obama's decision and if it's still up for debate she'll answer when she IS elected, President. I'm thinking are you freaking kidding me. lol

Gunny
07-30-2015, 05:42 PM
good point dear. I didn't think about that. But Hillary isn't doing herself any favors. She just told one Rally she was at. She wouldn't answer a question on the Keystone pipeline because that's Obama's decision and if it's still up for debate she'll answer when she IS elected, President. I'm thinking are you freaking kidding me. lol

Doesn't matter what she is doing pre-primary. I agree, that's about as loser an answer as she could give.

What matters to me is that it isn't that left has won anything the last two elections. It's that the right has imploded and given those 2 elections away. The last thing the right needs right now is someone who divides the right even more.

indago
07-30-2015, 06:02 PM

They will probably give lip service to the issues, and then, when one of them gets elected, drop it like a hot potato...

red state
07-30-2015, 09:12 PM
I enjoy the debates in that it shed even more light on what each candidate actually believes and how passionate he or she is on any particular subject. I especially look forward to final debates and still remember how well Reagan did against ALL.

One of the things I don't like is the political correctness we too often see from OUR side and the willingness of our side allowing obvious bias. I'd surely expect Huckabee, Trump or Cruz to get in their face about such things as what went on the last two major elections.

Heck, if they/WE continue to allow trolls in as mods.....I say skip the final Dim VS Republican debate altogether. I just hope we aren't given another mittens or mcShame and that is exactly what we'll get if Rubio or JEB is chosen for us. Speaking of which, I'm not so certain that I wouldn't prefer a run-off vote instead of THEM picking our guy and I'd (POSSIBLY) like to see US vote for our Supreme Court (IF) they continue to go against what our founders intended. They were so fantastically BRILLIANT (otherwise this 'experiment' would never have lasted NEAR this long).

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-30-2015, 09:26 PM
They will probably give lip service to the issues, and then, when one of them gets elected, drop it like a hot potato...

Seems to be the SOP these last 20/25 years! -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Here's an easy one: He's a conservative and Republican. That's an outright lie. He's an opportunist.

Which, btw, has NOTHING to do with Hillary.

Your thinking is warped. The primaries, which haven't even started, is about people voting and culling the herd. 10-man debates are NOT part of the process, nor is tearing each other down and providing the enemy with the ammo to kill you with.

How about running on what you stand for and let it speak for itself? Instead, you allow some news channel to tell you what to think.

Every politician is an opportunist my friend. Trump is an in your face kind of guy and thats why he is currently running so damn far ahead of the herd. If that lead was just from we hardliners he'd be way back in the pack. Its from Latinos , and others.
Dems scared, Hillary scared, Bush scared and both party's leadership are scared shitless...
Remember nobody expected the lying maggot to win either time but his sorry ass did.
I am for Trump if he is the guy to take back the Presidency..
A blind monkey running the nation would beat what the big eared piece of shit has done.-Tyr

Gunny
07-31-2015, 01:28 PM
Every politician is an opportunist my friend. Trump is an in your face kind of guy and thats why he is currently running so damn far ahead of the herd. If that lead was just from we hardliners he'd be way back in the pack. Its from Latinos , and others.
Dems scared, Hillary scared, Bush scared and both party's leadership are scared shitless...
Remember nobody expected the lying maggot to win either time but his sorry ass did.
I am for Trump if he is the guy to take back the Presidency..
A blind monkey running the nation would beat what the big eared piece of shit has done.-Tyr

Sure. He's in everyone's face. He criticizes the Hell out of any-and-everyone but if they strike back he throws a hissy fit like he's the victim. He hasn't actually said ANYTHING. He's been a Republican, a Democrat and an independent. Depends on which way the wind is blowing.

In 2012, the people leading this far out never made it to the primaries. Fred Thompson and Newt Gingrich.

Solo
08-01-2015, 10:27 AM

I have to agree with you gunny but I do think it will have an effect on the democrat side also.
He is bringing hot button issues to the forefront. Issues that both right and left never speak of in any depth. Illegal immigration for one, hes given that national attention and its obviously an issue most americans agree with him on. The democrats lets bring them all here ideology is going to have a real rough time during debates.

I am dead set against Illegal immigration and it must be stopped, we cant afford it anymore and theres americans that need the help and they come FIRST

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Sure. He's in everyone's face. He criticizes the Hell out of any-and-everyone but if they strike back he throws a hissy fit like he's the victim. He hasn't actually said ANYTHING. He's been a Republican, a Democrat and an independent. Depends on which way the wind is blowing.

In 2012, the people leading this far out never made it to the primaries. Fred Thompson and Newt Gingrich.
As long as his criticisms are true, what care I how those accused act or how he responds to their attacks?
The TRUTH being thrown out there for them to have to face is enough IMHO!
He serves a purpose that so greatly benefits this nation IMHO.
Thats enough to cheer him on , enough for me anyways...-Tyr

Gunny
08-01-2015, 11:00 AM
I have to agree with you gunny but I do think it will have an effect on the democrat side also.
He is bringing hot button issues to the forefront. Issues that both right and left never speak of in any depth. Illegal immigration for one, hes given that national attention and its obviously an issue most americans agree with him on. The democrats lets bring them all here ideology is going to have a real rough time during debates.

I am dead set against Illegal immigration and it must be stopped, we cant afford it anymore and theres americans that need the help and they come FIRST

He might be bringing up issues, but he's attacking the right, not the left.

Solo
08-01-2015, 01:05 PM
He might be bringing up issues, but he's attacking the right, not the left.

I'll take your word I havent followed any of them close enough to know.