PDA

View Full Version : Caprese salad

AllieBaba
08-02-2015, 08:37 AM
My first cousin once removed (my first cousin's son) married his long term sweetheart in Vegas in May. They had a BBQ reception at Shotgun Creek rec area in the Mohawk Valley. I have to throw those names out there because despite being a lifelong Oregonian from a generational line of Oregon, I had never heard of Mohawk Valley before. It's even more confusing because Oregon doesn't have a population of Mohawk Indians, and never has. Anyway I took Caprese salad which was gone before the ribs came off the BBQ. Tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, olive oil, balsamic reduction, salt, pepper. Bingo bango. I arranged the tomatoes, basil and cheese arrangement at home...covered with paper towels to control liquid, wrapped snug in plastic wrap, transported in ice....at the site, I drizzled olive oil first, then balsamic reduction, then salt and pepper. For aesthetics it's best to put oil on first, it makes the reduction look prettier, keeps it from being totally absorbed.

AllieBaba
08-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Ok testing

AllieBaba
08-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Balsamic reduction - Takes balsamic vinegar...don't get the most expensive stuff, that's a waste. Modena balsamic of the less expensive type...put entire bottle or two in a heavy bottomed pan....shallow is better...bring to a boil and simmer hard until it reduces by at least half. Watch it or you'll burn it and that can be expensive. It will thicken some on cooling. When it's cooled somewhat, put in squeeze bottle (like a plastic condiment bottle from dollar tree) or into oil decanter. This stuff is addictive, you can put it on anything. Yum. Put olive oil on a plate and pour some reduction in the middle and sop with good bread omg.

Voted4Reagan
08-02-2015, 08:58 AM
balsamic reduction - takes balsamic vinegar...don't get the most expensive stuff, that's a waste. Modena balsamic of the less expensive type...put entire bottle or two in a heavy bottomed pan....shallow is better...bring to a boil and simmer hard until it reduces by at least half. Watch it or you'll burn it and that can be expensive. It will thicken some on cooling. When it's cooled somewhat, put in squeeze bottle (like a plastic condiment bottle from dollar tree) or into oil decanter. This stuff is addictive, you can put it on anything. Yum. Put olive oil on a plate and pour some reduction in the middle and sop with good bread omg.

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

AllieBaba
08-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Yeah and I took off and left the reduction in it's cool dollar store decanter there at the BBQ. I hope the bride and groom took it home.$13 worth of condiment.