PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 upgrade shenanigans

NightTrain
08-04-2015, 11:08 AM
I signed up a while back for the upgrade, and finally last night it tried to execute - and failed.

The message I got this morning was that my Nvidia GeForce 965M didn't have the compatible Win10 drivers. So I went to Nvidia and verified that I had the latest Win10 compatible driver. Manually tried to install the Win10 driver again, but got an error message saying it doesn't work with Win 8.1.... so I have it, and it's working, but it's not compatible. WTF?

Catch 22! Can't upgrade windows because 10 doesn't like 8.1's graphic driver. Can't upgrade driver because I don't have Win10.

Also, there was a cute little message under the 'Failed' report with a link to buy a new computer, when I just bought this damn thing.

Finally, I manually checked the normal Windows Update site where you get your patches and there it was. Gave it a click and it flawlessly upgraded my machine to Win10, which took about 30 - 40 minutes or so.

Anyway, I guess the message here is to manually start the process if you have issues, because the automatic upgrade has some very confusing conflicting messaging and bugs.

Also, at the end of the install there was an option to choose either Express Setup or Custom Setup. I'm generally suspicious of any kind of Express installation options, and I'm glad I checked. Microsoft wants to get reports of your browsing history, and of course wants to set defaults to receiving a bunch of information about you that they use and also to their mysterious 3rd Party Partners. I opted out of all of that, and I recommend that everyone else that cares about their privacy does, too. Naturally, they also wanted to install their new browser to the default browser and I changed that to Chrome.

It's running great, and there is a noticeable improvement in performance. I still need to customize a few things, but so far so good! I like it much better than 8.1.

jimnyc
08-04-2015, 12:05 PM
WHat's the major differences, my guinea pig friend? :)

Gunny
08-04-2015, 12:15 PM

No shit. Let him screw up HIS computer. Then we can figure out why it doesn't work.:laugh:

jimnyc
08-04-2015, 12:20 PM
No shit. Let him screw up HIS computer. Then we can figure out why it doesn't work.:laugh:

I always got advance copies of all the various OS's, because of the places I worked and the licenses with Microsoft. But hell, I always had spare machines I could simply just format if I didn't like!

I have some spare HDD's now, and would maybe have a machine I can go back and forth with, by swapping drives. But then I would need to install 7, then do the upgrade? Rick, can I just get the full version, or does it need to be an upgrade? For free I mean, I ain't paying to be a guinea pig!

Gunny
08-04-2015, 12:28 PM
I always got advance copies of all the various OS's, because of the places I worked and the licenses with Microsoft. But hell, I always had spare machines I could simply just format if I didn't like!

I have some spare HDD's now, and would maybe have a machine I can go back and forth with, by swapping drives. But then I would need to install 7, then do the upgrade? Rick, can I just get the full version, or does it need to be an upgrade? For free I mean, I ain't paying to be a guinea pig!

I don't even like 7. 5 was the best. They keep trying to make something better that doesn't need it. I got an offer for 10. Got a droid for a phone too. Was up to me I'd have a flip still.

They're just selling stuff.

jimnyc
08-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I don't even like 7. 5 was the best. They keep trying to make something better that doesn't need it. I got an offer for 10. Got a droid for a phone too. Was up to me I'd have a flip still.

They're just selling stuff.

I still have Windows 3.1 on diskette if you would like it? I also have an old copy of 95. and an original NT (not that NT). I have DOS somewhere too, still more reliable than any OS yet!!

NightTrain
08-04-2015, 12:37 PM

Speed, for sure. I read somewhere that Win10 utilizes your processing power more efficiently.. and that rings true so far. Haven't loaded up any games yet, but I'm about to do that.

Just started delving into Cortana, I'll see how useful the Windows version of Siri is.

Bah! I'm actually pretty good at working on computers.

But if you see me suddenly crying and posting on my phone here, you'll know what happened.

NightTrain
08-04-2015, 12:41 PM

Yeah, gotta be an upgrade from Win7 or 8.1.

Took 6 days longer to get the install to begin than Balu did, I'm not sure if they're sorting the waves by Timezone (in which case I'm the last one on the planet) and he would be in one of the first ones... or if they're sorting it by when you accepted the offer to upgrade.

I think you'll like it. I'll take a few screenies and post some of the differences.

Gunny
08-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Speed, for sure. I read somewhere that Win10 utilizes your processing power more efficiently.. and that rings true so far. Haven't loaded up any games yet, but I'm about to do that.

Just started delving into Cortana, I'll see how useful the Windows version of Siri is.

Bah! I'm actually pretty good at working on computers.

But if you see me suddenly crying and posting on my phone here, you'll know what happened.

So am I. Why I'm letting YOU do this. When you get back online in 6 months feel free to tell us what happened. :laugh:

NightTrain
08-04-2015, 12:58 PM
One bug that I noticed in 8.1 is that automatically checking for windows updates only executed some of the time - you'd arrive at the Windows Update screen and it said it already checked and there's nothing there, but if you hit the button to go look for updates, there would be several waiting.

That same bug appears to have carried over to Win10, I just found two updates after being told there was nothing there, but there they are after telling it to go look.

Drummond
08-04-2015, 01:43 PM
I still have Windows 3.1 on diskette if you would like it? I also have an old copy of 95. and an original NT (not that NT). I have DOS somewhere too, still more reliable than any OS yet!!

FWIW ... backtracking to old computer systems is never a good idea, IF you intend to use them for online work. It gets ever harder to find anti-virus or firewall programs for the older ones that get current updating support.

My old workplace relied on NT ... but had to abandon it for that very reason.

Gunny
08-04-2015, 01:51 PM
FWIW ... backtracking to old computer systems is never a good idea, IF you intend to use them for online work. It gets ever harder to find anti-virus or firewall programs for the older ones that get current updating support.

My old workplace relied on NT ... but had to abandon it for that very reason.

?

I can backtrack to 5.7" floppies that would hold about 3 pages. The Daisy Displaywriter anyone? :laugh:

Drummond
08-04-2015, 03:17 PM
?

I can backtrack to 5.7" floppies that would hold about 3 pages. The Daisy Displaywriter anyone? :laugh:

Don't use old systems to connect online, and you'll be OK, for as long as they last out. Use an unsupported older system online, however, and security updates to guard against attack won't guard against the latest attack-programs, leaving your computer open to access by viruses, trojans, and the like.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server-2003/what-you-need-know-about-windows-nt-40-end-life-planning

NightTrain
08-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Cortana is garbage. It'll probably get a lot more useful as Planet Earth beta tests it for Microsoft, but at this point it's useless and can't understand me, even though I don't have any kind of an accent. Jim is fucked.

I said, "Control Panel" and it popped up Microsoft Edge and searched for "metro vegetable"... I don't even know wtf that is. Maybe a mentally challenged hipster? And it used Bing to search for it.

Going to disable that feature until it becomes useful... I'd hate for my search history to show the results for when I drop a MF'r bomb.

Another bug that they fixed for this machine is the 'Automatic Maintenance' feature in 8.1. It would run all the time, and I could see the disk activity light working all the time. This isn't a Solid State Hard Drive, so that kind of constant activity will wear it out much faster than normal. I had to turn it off a couple times a day. Win10 fixed that, so there's another positive for it, although that was probably something specific to 8.1 and this laptop model & build.

Drummond
08-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Cortana is garbage. It'll probably get a lot more useful as Planet Earth beta tests it for Microsoft, but at this point it's useless and can't understand me, even though I don't have any kind of an accent. Jim is fucked.

I said, "Control Panel" and it popped up Microsoft Edge and searched for "metro vegetable"... I don't even know wtf that is. Maybe a mentally challenged hipster? And it used Bing to search for it.

Going to disable that feature until it becomes useful... I'd hate for my search history to show the results for when I drop a MF'r bomb.

Another bug that they fixed for this machine is the 'Automatic Maintenance' feature in 8.1. It would run all the time, and I could see the disk activity light working all the time. This isn't a Solid State Hard Drive, so that kind of constant activity will wear it out much faster than normal. I had to turn it off a couple times a day. Win10 fixed that, so there's another positive for it, although that was probably something specific to 8.1 and this laptop model & build.

Cortana .. that's the program that talks back to you, isn't it ?

I've seen adverts about it on those ads which are trying to sell mobile phones. I was struck (never more so than now) by the fact that the Cortana we have here, speaks to its user in a British accent.

Now ... does yours (or did it) ? If 'YES' ... maybe what you really need to do is speak back to it in a British accent ?? :eek::eek:

Gunny
08-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Speak of the devil... why does one hace to put a f-ing lawn mower together? The Briggs n Stratton 2 stroke I get. Since shop in 1973. All the putting the wheels together is a bunch of BS.

Gunny
08-04-2015, 04:47 PM
And the stupid instructions are in f-ing Spanish.

NightTrain
08-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Cortana .. that's the program that talks back to you, isn't it ?

I've seen adverts about it on those ads which are trying to sell mobile phones. I was struck (never more so than now) by the fact that the Cortana we have here, speaks to its user in a British accent.

Now ... does yours (or did it) ? If 'YES' ... maybe what you really need to do is speak back to it in a British accent ?? http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/smilies/eek.pnghttp://www.debatepolicy.com/images/smilies/eek.png

Yeah, it's voice-recognition software. Ideally, you'd tell your computer to do things and navigate to places, but it's not as good as my phone is with it yet.

I never thought of trying a British accent... but I'm not very talented at mimicking any kind of accent, so I think it would only confuse the software further!

NightTrain
08-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Speak of the devil... why does one hace to put a f-ing lawn mower together? The Briggs n Stratton 2 stroke I get. Since shop in 1973. All the putting the wheels together is a bunch of BS.

I quickly identified 2 problems for you, Gunny.

1) Buy your lawnmowers fully assembled.

and

2) It's not a Honda lawnmower. Whatsamatta with you? :slap:

Drummond
08-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it's voice-recognition software. Ideally, you'd tell your computer to do things and navigate to places, but it's not as good as my phone is with it yet.

I never thought of trying a British accent... but I'm not very talented at mimicking any kind of accent, so I think it would only confuse the software further!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Well, if you do try it, don't use a Cockney accent. The 'British Cortana' sounds upperclass to me, so will likely not respond to 'mere commoners'. Try and sound posh ...

NightTrain
08-04-2015, 05:01 PM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Well, if you do try it, don't use a Cockney accent. The 'British Cortana' sounds upperclass to me, so will likely not respond to 'mere commoners'. Try and sound posh ...

Nope.

I just asked it : "I say, old boy, care for a spot of tea?"

and it searched for : "I steal your purse party".

Solo
08-04-2015, 10:10 PM
I strongly recommend no one ugrades to windows 10 for 11 months or the last minute before the year offering of free upgrade expires.

Once you upgrade you cannot go back to windows 7 which is one of the most stable Opsys. You couldnt even buy it to go back to it because MS has stopped selling Win 7 licenses.

Microsoft wants win7 DEAD and they are willing to give away millions of dollars in win 10 to do that. Think about it ? question is WHY.

The experts need time to rip through win 10 and pick it apart and then write reviews and recommendations. Give them time to do that.

You can do a simple search there is a little program that gets rid of the win 10 nag screen

Gunny
08-04-2015, 10:41 PM
I quickly identified 2 problems for you, Gunny.

1) Buy your lawnmowers fully assembled.

and

2) It's not a Honda lawnmower. Whatsamatta with you? :slap:

The chick bought it?

NightTrain
08-05-2015, 01:43 AM
The chick bought it?

Oh. I guess you'd better get out there and get those wheels bolted on.

NightTrain
08-08-2015, 02:42 AM
Back on topic....

So far the only issues I've had are video card related, and Nvidia is working feverishly to get the bugs worked out. Specifically, when I go to launch World of Warships, sometimes (about 1 time out of 10) it will give me a black screen and just hang and the only thing I can do is power off - which, as many of you know, is a last resort kind of thing. Computers can get very pissed off when you do that... corrupted files are no fun.

From the research I've done, the problem is most likely in the way Win 10 handles multiple GPUs and Nvidia hasn't got a handle on it yet.

Game performance is actually a bit less than 8.1 handled the same game, which stands to reason if your GPUs aren't being properly utilized. My FPS is decent, running about 60 to 75 or so in the Beta, but where it struggles is when loading the matches with the battle maps.

Anyway, outside of Nvidia's driver problems, Win 10 has been rock solid so far.

Max R.
08-08-2015, 06:11 AM
I strongly recommend no one ugrades to windows 10 for 11 months or the last minute before the year offering of free upgrade expires.

Once you upgrade you cannot go back to windows 7 which is one of the most stable Opsys. You couldnt even buy it to go back to it because MS has stopped selling Win 7 licenses.

Microsoft wants win7 DEAD and they are willing to give away millions of dollars in win 10 to do that. Think about it ? question is WHY.

The experts need time to rip through win 10 and pick it apart and then write reviews and recommendations. Give them time to do that.

You can do a simple search there is a little program that gets rid of the win 10 nag screen

Not a conspiracy theorist here, but I certainly am content to keep my Windows 7 and let everyone else work out the inevitable bugs and weaknesses of 10 before I, eventually, hop on board. We have until December 31st, so no rush.

This article is information about why Windows 10 isn't really free.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957365/windows/why-windows-10-isnt-really-free-the-subtle-new-world-of-built-in-costs.html

NightTrain
08-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Not a conspiracy theorist here, but I certainly am content to keep my Windows 7 and let everyone else work out the inevitable bugs and weaknesses of 10 before I, eventually, hop on board. We have until December 31st, so no rush.

This article is information about why Windows 10 isn't really free.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957365/windows/why-windows-10-isnt-really-free-the-subtle-new-world-of-built-in-costs.html

I'm not really sure why this guy is saying it's not free, other than being a Mac fan.

If you have a copy of Win7 or Win8 as a personal user, it's completely free.

I'm using the Microsoft Office suite only because it came with my computer, and I won't be re-subscribing to it when it runs out in a year - Open Office is free and does the same thing. MS has always charged for that line of software, nothing has changed there.

jimnyc
08-17-2015, 04:48 PM
I'm about 20% into upgrading our family computer up to 10 from Windows 7. This is a touchscreen HP computer all in one thing. Not the fastest computer but not half bad either. This will be a decent test for me to see how quickly I want to bring my own machine over. No real data to speak of on that computer to be lost, so if the fan gets hit with the bad stuff, no big deal!

Balu
08-17-2015, 04:58 PM
I strongly recommend no one ugrades to windows 10 for 11 months or the last minute before the year offering of free upgrade expires. ...

Would you kindly substantiate plus ennumerate by points WHY?
I really want to know WHAT will differ in 11 months?
Hope those, who upgraded OS backed up the image of their sistem disk.
So, waiting with anticipation for your kind PROFESSIONAL explanations. :beer:

jimnyc
08-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Would you kindly substantiate plus ennumerate by points WHY?
I really want to know WHAT will differ in 11 months?
Hope those, who upgraded OS backed up the image of their sistem disk.
So, waiting with anticipation for your kind PROFESSIONAL explanations. :beer:

Probably having various bugs worked out by then. But truth be told, if you install it now, you will get updates as you go along to fix any bugs. It's just that sometimes the bugs can be annoying to deal with.

NightTrain
08-17-2015, 05:09 PM
I like it. Other than the small bug from Nvidia - and that wasn't Microsoft's fault - it's been completely problem free.

jimnyc
08-17-2015, 05:12 PM
49% here...

Balu
08-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Probably having various bugs worked out by then. But truth be told, if you install it now, you will get updates as you go along to fix any bugs. It's just that sometimes the bugs can be annoying to deal with.
I am sorry, Jim!
May be I am too old and do not understand smth in computers as my Grandchildren, but, initially I backed up an image of my Disk 'C', and only THEN I upgraded up to Win 10.
As to Win 10, I am not a prof in this sphere, I will much more comfortable.
The only drawback I am facing, I am not able to fly in FS9. Maybe you know where I can find a patch to solve this problem? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/blush2.gif

NightTrain
08-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Balu - try running your program as administrator. That fixed the graphics crash for me in Win 10.

Balu
08-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Balu - try running your program as administrator. That fixed the graphics crash for me in Win 10.
This is Greece for me.http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/sad.gif
Show how to do it by your fingers....
I am as anсeint as a mammoth shit. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/sad.gif

NightTrain
08-17-2015, 06:21 PM
No problem.

Right-click your Flight Sim icon on your desktop

Select "Run as Administrator" from the menu.

jimnyc
08-17-2015, 06:28 PM
It's done, and surprisingly when extremely smoothly, not a single question or error. I'll have to peek around of course, but not bad at first glance.

WTF is this "Cortana" thing? And you said it sucks, NT?

And the major noticeable difference is Windows Edge, which is the new IE for Windows 10. What's your rating thus far, NT, or are you not even using it?

I haven't even gotten into the control panel yet. But is there a lot new in there for us geeks? Thus far, the menu is kinda like the old, with a little of the new, with weather built into it.

jimnyc
08-17-2015, 06:30 PM
I am sorry, Jim!
May be I am too old and do not understand smth in computers as my Grandchildren, but, initially I backed up an image of my Disk 'C', and only THEN I upgraded up to Win 10.
As to Win 10, I am not a prof in this sphere, I will much more comfortable.
The only drawback I am facing, I am not able to fly in FS9. Maybe you know where I can find a patch to solve this problem? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/blush2.gif

I will put it in easier language, as I feel just like you do!!

Do now, deal with more problems as you go along. Wait, and when you install you have less problems.

I don't know about the FS9, but learn to fly some helicopters in the meantime!!

jimnyc
08-17-2015, 06:37 PM
MUCH to early to declare victory... but the entire upgrade, from end to end, was less than 2 hours. Almost every last minute was simply waiting time, nothing for me to do, completely hands off. Not a single error. Everything seems to be working.

NT - you've had it for awhile now. You? Errors since you've had it? Programs all transfer over and still working? How do your games function now?

NightTrain
08-17-2015, 07:15 PM
It's done, and surprisingly when extremely smoothly, not a single question or error. I'll have to peek around of course, but not bad at first glance.

WTF is this "Cortana" thing? And you said it sucks, NT?

And the major noticeable difference is Windows Edge, which is the new IE for Windows 10. What's your rating thus far, NT, or are you not even using it?

I haven't even gotten into the control panel yet. But is there a lot new in there for us geeks? Thus far, the menu is kinda like the old, with a little of the new, with weather built into it.

Cortana is Microsoft's version of Siri... you can Voice Command your computer to do things, like navigate or search, or whatever. The problem with it is the technology isn't as good as my Samsung phone - it evidently learns over time, so the more you use it, the better it gets as it learns your voice and speech patterns.

I only use Edge where I have to - certain websites require IE, so I'm stuck there. I'm still using Chrome, I don't care what they call the new browser! lol

Yeah, your Start Menu can be customized. I don't care for the little tiles, so I right clicked them and got rid of them. I like the classic start menu setup!

Control Panel is a 'desktop app' now, it's there like it always was.

NightTrain
08-17-2015, 07:18 PM
MUCH to early to declare victory... but the entire upgrade, from end to end, was less than 2 hours. Almost every last minute was simply waiting time, nothing for me to do, completely hands off. Not a single error. Everything seems to be working.

NT - you've had it for awhile now. You? Errors since you've had it? Programs all transfer over and still working? How do your games function now?

Yep, the upgrade was smooth as silk and it's been completely solid. No errors, no lost files, everything works fine. They did a good job with this one.

All works well, with the exception of Nvidia scrambling to kick out drivers... they claimed they were "Windows 10 ready" but that clearly wasn't the case. I had 3 Nvidia updates in one day last week... I think there's some engineers that got their asses kicked for dropping the ball there.

Balu
08-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Gentlemen,
Can anybody tell me how to put 'My favorite inet links' (I am accustomed to in previous versions of Wins) into the panel, when opening the left bottom icon by clicking the right bottom of the mouse?

NightTrain
08-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Gentlemen,
Can anybody tell me how to put 'My favorite inet links' (I am accustomed to in previous versions of Wins) into the panel, when opening the left bottom icon by clicking the right bottom of the mouse?

Are you talking about your Bookmarks Bar in your browser?

jimnyc
08-18-2015, 09:09 AM
I want my downloaded files to land on my desktop. Thus far, my searches lead me to believe I need to edit the registry in order to make changes to this download folder? I can do that easily enough, but sucks if they expect the everyday user to do so. Just a preference of mine to place them there. Outta sight and outta mind for me!

I really don't see any reason NOT TO upgrade, so far anyway. No major reasons TO upgrade, but we're all going to have to eventually. So far my biggest complaint is getting lost and having to query Google so far to figure out how to do certain things. Of course that's expected.

jimnyc
08-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Gentlemen,

Inet links? I'm confused with what you're asking? Is Rick correct, putting links just below the URL bar? If so, which browser?

NightTrain
08-21-2015, 01:57 PM
I want my downloaded files to land on my desktop. Thus far, my searches lead me to believe I need to edit the registry in order to make changes to this download folder? I can do that easily enough, but sucks if they expect the everyday user to do so. Just a preference of mine to place them there. Outta sight and outta mind for me!

No need to play with your registry. Just go to settings on your browser and select where you want your downloads to go. In Chrome, open settings, at the bottom click 'Advanced Settings' and it's right there.

I like my files to go to the desktop as well... I've never liked opening folders to go look for something I just downloaded.

jimnyc
08-22-2015, 04:02 PM
No need to play with your registry. Just go to settings on your browser and select where you want your downloads to go. In Chrome, open settings, at the bottom click 'Advanced Settings' and it's right there.

I like my files to go to the desktop as well... I've never liked opening folders to go look for something I just downloaded.

In Edge too? I should have clarified that's what I was using. Let me go take a peek where you are saying...

jimnyc
08-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Ok, not changeable within the browser, needs to be done through file explorer (just for Edge)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-download-location-edge

NightTrain
08-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Ok, not changeable within the browser, needs to be done through file explorer (just for Edge)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-download-location-edge

That's really weird, you're right. Edge doesn't have that option. Looks like they really dumbed it down for the masses, there's hardly any settings in Edge.

May I suggest Chrome, my resistant roadie? :pokenest:

jimnyc
08-23-2015, 08:20 AM
That's really weird, you're right. Edge doesn't have that option. Looks like they really dumbed it down for the masses, there's hardly any settings in Edge.

May I suggest Chrome, my resistant roadie? :pokenest:

I just installed FF on that machine and need to test for awhile and see if the hiccups in speed happen in Windows 10 or not too. I would prefer FF. I have Chrome on there as well And yep, Edge doesn't have a lot of settings. Seems they did exactly that, dumbed it down so no issues with the average user.

Gonna take more than that to move me to Chrome full time! Same as Yahoo being my "home" page for like 15 years now! LOL

NightTrain
08-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Gonna take more than that to move me to Chrome full time! Same as Yahoo being my "home" page for like 15 years now! LOL

Yahoo as your homepage? :gay:

I'm dispatching Jeff to your house to confiscate your Man Card.

Gunny
08-26-2015, 05:43 AM

Hey, I liked windows 95. You can keep the floppies though. I remember the 7" ones you could get about two pages on. :laugh:

Look at it this way, the only thing I do on my PC is post on this board, Google info, e-mail my daughter, and screw around with the programs to see what makes them tick.

DLT
09-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Yep, the upgrade was smooth as silk and it's been completely solid. No errors, no lost files, everything works fine. They did a good job with this one.

All works well, with the exception of Nvidia scrambling to kick out drivers... they claimed they were "Windows 10 ready" but that clearly wasn't the case. I had 3 Nvidia updates in one day last week... I think there's some engineers that got their asses kicked for dropping the ball there.

This is not good news since my graphics is Nvidia. Think I'll refrain from upgrading from Win 7 and just buy a new pc with Win 10 (I'm still chicken).

NightTrain
09-28-2015, 11:27 AM
This is not good news since my graphics is Nvidia. Think I'll refrain from upgrading from Win 7 and just buy a new pc with Win 10 (I'm still chicken).

Nvidia just came out with another patch about a week ago, and it appears that they finally addressed the graphic card bugs. I haven't had any glitches since then and my GTX 965 M card is working beautifully.

On another note, it looks like I missed a step in the Cortana voice-command function - there's a step where Cortana asks you to read 5 sentences so it can get a handle on how you pronounce things. I did it yesterday and tested it out, and it works.

I said, "Hey, Cortana." and it acknowledged me by giving a little chime sound, that it was waiting for a command.

"Open Control Panel."

Cortana responded with : "Okay, opening Control Panel." and it did.

Very handy! Now you don't even have to stop and navigate to your different areas - you can still be doing other things and have Cortana get things ready for you to jump right in to when you're ready.

I tested it out with other areas as well - it opened Network Settings for me on command, but wouldn't disconnect me from the internet when I told it to.

Gunny
09-28-2015, 12:46 PM
I just wish they'd quit changing shit. Just leave the shit alone if it works. I'm not going for a hostile corporate takeover. I post on a message board and listen to youtube.

NightTrain
09-28-2015, 01:59 PM
I just wish they'd quit changing shit. Just leave the shit alone if it works. I'm not going for a hostile corporate takeover. I post on a message board and listen to youtube.

Careful - your Grandpa slip is showing! :poke:

I know what you mean and sometimes feel the same way, but when it comes to Operating Systems and new technology, I'm all for changing things up and moving forward (within reason, Win8 was wayyyy over the top with the start screen BS)... newer, faster, better are good things. Microsoft would be dead and buried long ago if they stuck with that God-Awful Win95 or Vista.

From Win10, I suspect it'll be seamless upgrades from here on out, if it goes according to plan. And it's close enough to Win7 that users upgrading won't be lost in the transition.

Gunny
09-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Careful - your Grandpa slip is showing! :poke:

I know what you mean and sometimes feel the same way, but when it comes to Operating Systems and new technology, I'm all for changing things up and moving forward (within reason, Win8 was wayyyy over the top with the start screen BS)... newer, faster, better are good things. Microsoft would be dead and buried long ago if they stuck with that God-Awful Win95 or Vista.

From Win10, I suspect it'll be seamless upgrades from here on out, if it goes according to plan. And it's close enough to Win7 that users upgrading won't be lost in the transition.

My grandpa slip is all over this board. :laugh: