PDA

View Full Version : MP says: use anti-terror laws on teachers who say gay marriage is ‘wrong’

revelarts
08-06-2015, 11:05 AM
from the "it will never happen" and "it will need happen here" files

MP: use anti-terror powers on Christian teachers who say gay marriage is ‘wrong’

Quote:

<tbody>
New banning orders intended to clamp down on hate preachers and terrorist propagandists should be used against Christian teachers who teach children that gay marriage is “wrong”, a Tory MP has argued.
Mark Spencer called for those who use their position in the classroom to teach traditionalist views on marriage to be subject to “Extremism Disruption Orders” (EDOs), tough new restrictions planned by David Cameron and Theresa May to curb radicalisation by jihadists.
In a letter to a constituent, Mr Spencer, the MP for Sherwood in Nottinghamshire, insisted that Christian teachers were still “perfectly entitled” to express their views on same-sex marriage – but only “in some situations”.

Christian campaigners said Mr Spencer’s remarks confirmed what they had previously warned: that those who believe marriage should only be between a man and a woman would now be “branded extremists”.
The National Secular Society, which supports same-sex marriage, said the proposed banning orders could be one of the biggest threats to freedom of expression ever seen in the UK.

David Cameron outlined the counter-extremism plans after the General Election
Ministers have signalled that the orders, expected to be a key plank of the Government planned new Counter-Extremism Bill, would be used not only curb the activities of radical Islamist clerics but those who promote other views deemed to go against “British values”.
Ministers have defined British values in the past as including broad notions like democracy, tolerance and the rule of law....

</tbody>

MP: use anti-terror powers on Christian teachers who say gay marriage is ‘wrong’ - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/11780517/MP-use-anti-terror-powers-on-Christian-teachers-who-say-gay-marriage-is-wrong.html)it's just a proposal right. nothing will EVER come of it.
tut tut stop being paranoid folks. it's just "an extremist" sitting in the British parliament... in a major party.. no worries.

Drummond
08-06-2015, 11:28 AM

MP: use anti-terror powers on Christian teachers who say gay marriage is ‘wrong’

Quote:
it's just a proposal right. nothing will EVER come of it.
tut tut stop being paranoid folks. it's just "an extremist" sitting in the British parliament... in a major party.. no worries.

'Strangely', I don't recall seeing anything from the BBC about this on domestic broadcasts. Therefore, It Cannot Be True ... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of our anti-Hatespeech laws. Initially meant to crack down on pro-terrorist trash such as Abu Hamza's preaching, these days it's used by Muslims to defy anyone publicly speaking out against Islam.

Mind-control, through controlling acceptable 'teachings' at the earliest possible age, is a favourite tactic of Leftie Governments. I'm saddened to see even our Conservatives are beginning to buy into their methodology, and for the worst of reasons.

fj1200
08-06-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:

The Brits don't have a first amendment nor very good conservatives. :poke: Are teachers across the pond compensated by the state?

revelarts
08-06-2015, 12:18 PM
The Brits don't have a first amendment nor very good conservatives. :poke: Are teachers across the pond compensated by the state?

the 1st amendment? you mean the constitution? um yeah.. thats doing so well right now.

And ... well it's all in how the courts interpret it... not how I might read it. (using english comprehension and stuff).
If the courts read it otherwise.... well then... that what it means.
At least that's what i've been told by pragmatic folks like yourself my friend.

fj1200
08-06-2015, 12:24 PM
the 1st amendment? you mean the constitution? um yeah.. thats doing so well right now.

And ... well it's all in how the courts interpret it... not how I might read it. (using english comprehension and stuff).
If the courts read it otherwise.... well then... that what it means.
At least that's what i've been told by pragmatic folks like yourself my friend.

The Constitution occasionally has its day. I don't think we conservatives should have yearned for an incorrect ruling (gay marriage) in the desire to forestall another incorrect ruling (religious liberty).

The current court had a decision a couple of years ago that upheld the rights of a religious school to fire a teacher who did not comport to their teachings. It was a 9-0 decision with the current crop of libs upholding 1A; I take some comfort in that. That's why the Oregon baker needs to fight their case all the way up.

Drummond
08-06-2015, 12:38 PM
The Brits don't have a first amendment

Very true.

nor very good conservatives. :poke:

Ah, an anti-Conservative attack !! I can see you're in the mood to indulge them today ...

... unfortunately, in this particular example - which I hope and trust was a fluke ? - this one isn't entirely without merit. Curses ...

Are teachers across the pond compensated by the state?

This assumes that they deserve any. You seem determined to presume that action taken will get somewhere ?

I think Revelarts is right. This would have to go to court, be weighed up according to whatever 'merits' of the case exist, a judgement passed, and the judgement would determine the outcome of any 'compensation'.

That said, I'd be enormously surprised if the Government didn't prevail in court, especially with something that could be said to be serving Leftie sensibilities ! It's common practice for Government to only proceed with court action if they're highly confident of winning.

fj1200
08-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Very true.

Ah, an anti-Conservative attack !! I can see you're in the mood to indulge them today ...

... unfortunately, in this particular example - which I hope and trust was a fluke ? - this one isn't entirely without merit. Curses ...

This assumes that they deserve any. You seem determined to presume that action taken will get somewhere ?

I think Revelarts is right. This would have to go to court, be weighed up according to whatever 'merits' of the case exist, a judgement passed, and the judgement would determine the outcome of any 'compensation'.

That said, I'd be enormously surprised if the Government didn't prevail in court, especially with something that could be said to be serving Leftie sensibilities ! It's common practice for Government to only proceed with court action if they're highly confident of winning.

:rolleyes: You should lighten up before you have a heart attack.

I can't speak to your courts but if it were here a law would be made or regulation promulgated in response to a law, an offense would be committed, the teacher sanctioned, and then the appeals would start.

If teachers are paid by the government then they would be obligated to conform to government rules and if they're private then they would have to conform to the private school's rules.

Drummond
08-06-2015, 04:05 PM
:rolleyes: You should lighten up before you have a heart attack.

You wish.

I can't speak to your courts

I really don't see why not. Just come to the UK, try out some hatespeech, and marvel at the speed you're arrested.

You wouldn't have to wait too long to speak to our courts.

but if it were here a law would be made or regulation promulgated in response to a law, an offense would be committed, the teacher sanctioned, and then the appeals would start.

It's not dissimilar here. Of course, this assumes that the school doesn't just try something intermediate, like a temporary suspension.

Here, there's a strong likelihood that offences would be spotted as a result of school inspections. These happen fairly frequently, rather more so if the school is in 'special measures'.

If teachers are paid by the government then they would be obligated to conform to government rules and if they're private then they would have to conform to the private school's rules.

To an extent, this mirrors our own system, with the difference that State rules apply more universally than you appear to be suggesting. In the case of Birmingham schools being taken over by Islamist 'extremists', for example, the schools were private ones. Nonetheless, they were just as answerable to Governmental expectations of them, as any other. Inspections carried out at Government instigation are no less likely at a private school.

Such schools can be closed at the order of a Government without too much difficulty - should it be deemed necessary.

Gunny
08-06-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Right? That slippery slope never happens until it does.

We got fags getting married and selling human bodyparts of cell clumps that aren't human. We're on a roll.

fj1200
08-06-2015, 04:10 PM
You wish.

Your funeral... and incorrect imagination.

I really don't see why not. Just come to the UK, try out some hatespeech, and marvel at the speed you're arrested.

You wouldn't have to wait too long to speak to our courts.

Do you need an education on the idiom? Nevertheless I already acknowledge your lack of a First Amendment.

It's not dissimilar here. Of course, this assumes that the school doesn't just try something intermediate, like a temporary suspension.

Here, there's a strong likelihood that offences would be spotted as a result of school inspections. These happen fairly frequently, rather more so if the school is in 'special measures'.

It's just another step in the link of enforcement.

To an extent, this mirrors our own system, with the difference that State rules apply more universally than you appear to be suggesting. In the case of Birmingham schools being taken over by Islamist 'extremists', for example, the schools were private ones. Nonetheless, they were just as answerable to Governmental expectations of them, as any other. Inspections carried out at Government instigation are no less likely at a private school.

Such schools can be closed at the order of a Government without too much difficulty - should it be deemed necessary.

Private schools are private here and generally will be subject to an accreditation firm.

Gunny
08-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Your funeral... and incorrect imagination.

Do you need an education on the idiom? Nevertheless I already acknowledge your lack of a First Amendment.

It's just another step in the link of enforcement.

Private schools are private here and generally will be subject to an accreditation firm.

Private schools are different than public. My daughter's a public school teacher but my granddaughters go to private school. Go figure. :laugh:

Private schools can teach what they want so long as they meet the mandatory minimum.

The First Amendment is an excuse for bad people to behave badly anymore.

Gunny
08-06-2015, 04:22 PM
BTW FJ ... your avatar (off topic) Did you know Roddy Piper died last week? Dusty Rhodes died a few weeks ago.

fj1200
08-06-2015, 04:23 PM
... but my granddaughters go to private school. Go figure. :laugh:

My kids go to a public charter school. I'm not opposed to public schools it just depends on the school and the district. Our district is awful but our charter school is shielded for the most part.

And tell Shadow to stop lurking and post. :slap:

fj1200
08-06-2015, 04:25 PM
BTW FJ ... your avatar (off topic) Did you know Roddy Piper died last week? Dusty Rhodes died a few weeks ago.

I heard. But my avatar? Rev's is Rowdy Roddy.

Gunny
08-06-2015, 04:31 PM
I heard. But my avatar? Rev's is Rowdy Roddy.

I can't find my glasses.:laugh: I liked Roddy Piper. He took a knife to the chest saving a fan outside the arena in Charlotte.