PDA

View Full Version : Russia hacks Pentagon computers: NBC, citing sources

jimnyc
08-06-2015, 04:04 PM
U.S. officials tell NBC News that Russia launched a "sophisticated cyberattack" against the Pentagon's Joint Staff unclassified email system, which has been shut down and taken offline for nearly two weeks. According to the officials, the "sophisticated cyber intrusion" occurred sometime around July 25 and affected some 4,000 military and civilian personnel who work for the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Sources tell NBC News that it appears the cyberattack relied on some kind of automated system that rapidly gathered massive amounts of data and within a minute distributed all the information to thousands of accounts on the Internet. The officials also report the suspected Russian hackers coordinated the sophisticated cyberassault via encrypted accounts on social media.

The officials say its not clear whether the attack was sanctioned by the Russian government or conducted by individuals. But, given the scope of the attack, "It was clearly the work of a state actor," the officials say.

They stressed that no classified information was seized or compromised and that only unclassified accounts and emails were hacked.

Almost immediately after the cyberattack was detected, the Pentagon took the aggressive step of shutting down the entire Joint Staff unclassified email system and Internet during its investigation. The system should be back online before the end of this week.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/06/russia-hacks-pentagon-computers-nbc-citing-sources.html?__source=newsletter|breakingnews

Gunny
08-06-2015, 04:13 PM
U.S. officials tell NBC News that Russia launched a "sophisticated cyberattack" against the Pentagon's Joint Staff unclassified email system, which has been shut down and taken offline for nearly two weeks. According to the officials, the "sophisticated cyber intrusion" occurred sometime around July 25 and affected some 4,000 military and civilian personnel who work for the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Sources tell NBC News that it appears the cyberattack relied on some kind of automated system that rapidly gathered massive amounts of data and within a minute distributed all the information to thousands of accounts on the Internet. The officials also report the suspected Russian hackers coordinated the sophisticated cyberassault via encrypted accounts on social media.

The officials say its not clear whether the attack was sanctioned by the Russian government or conducted by individuals. But, given the scope of the attack, "It was clearly the work of a state actor," the officials say.

They stressed that no classified information was seized or compromised and that only unclassified accounts and emails were hacked.

Almost immediately after the cyberattack was detected, the Pentagon took the aggressive step of shutting down the entire Joint Staff unclassified email system and Internet during its investigation. The system should be back online before the end of this week.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/06/russia-hacks-pentagon-computers-nbc-citing-sources.html?__source=newsletter|breakingnews

They shut down the entire JCS unclassified system? That had to cause withdrawals.

Gunny
08-06-2015, 04:42 PM
They shut down the entire JCS unclassified system? That had to cause withdrawals.

FWIW ... I had a Top Secret clearance. I've never knowingly disclosed any classified material. I know about some crap that is still classified for no reason whatsoever.

My issue is how does Billary tie her private server to that debacle that happened in Africa? All the civilians are having a guessing game but there is NO guess. The disclosure of classified material is a crime, punishable under USC Titles 15 and 17. If she disclosed troop and materiel movements about Benghazi on an unsecure line she needs to be prosecuted.

Drummond
08-06-2015, 05:18 PM
I'm just waiting for Balu to come on to this thread and post something insufferably smug ...

Balu
08-06-2015, 11:48 PM
I'm just waiting for Balu to come on to this thread and post something insufferably smug ...
To my mind, if it is True, obtaining such a data is a very useful thing. Agree?

Drummond
08-07-2015, 06:02 AM

- Well, maybe not quite as smug as I was expecting. I suppose it'll 'do', though .. ?

So - said he, asking what may well be the most stupid question ever asked on this forum - Balu, you approve of cyber attacks committed against the US ? Yes ?

And here's another one to add to the pot - Balu, are you friend, or foe ?

Gunny
08-07-2015, 07:47 AM

Not if YOU obtain it commie douche wad.\\And we don't need your secrets. We already know them since you stole them from us.

Balu
08-07-2015, 10:28 AM
- Well, maybe not quite as smug as I was expecting. I suppose it'll 'do', though .. ?

So - said he, asking what may well be the most stupid question ever asked on this forum - Balu, you approve of cyber attacks committed against the US ? Yes ?

And here's another one to add to the pot - Balu, are you friend, or foe ?

1. You made me thinking about your attitude towards Germans and your other friends and your other allies . People are engaged in their service. Nothing personal. Am I correct? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif
2. My personal POVs, which I am expressing here, are my POVs only. You may like them or not, but they are and they are solid and have a historical and logical basis. My personal attitude to some of you is another pair of shoes. And no need to make a mixture of them. All the same there will be a kind of emulsion. May be you've ever heard such term as wave-particle duality. My feelings are of similar Nature, if you understand what I am speaking about. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

Drummond
08-07-2015, 10:31 AM
1. You made me thinking about your attitude towards Germans and your other friends and your other allies . People are engaged in their service. Nothing personal. Am I correct? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif
2. Me personal POVs, which I am expressing here, are my POVs only. You may like them or not, but they are and they are solid and have a historical and logical basis. My personal attitude to some of you is another pair of shoes. And no need to make a mixture of them. All the same there will be a kind of emulsion. May be you've ever heard such term as wave-particle duality. My feelings are of similar Nature, if you understand what I am speaking about. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

Frankly, I just think you're being evasive. Perhaps I should've expected nothing else. Even so ....

How about answering my questions directly, as I'd intended you to do ?

Balu
08-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Frankly, I just think you're being evasive. Perhaps I should've expected nothing else. Even so ....

How about answering my questions directly, as I'd intended you to do ?
I've already given my reply. And this is not my fault you did not understand it. To have the answers with the flexibility of an artillery cannon you'd rather address to "funny-gunny". http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/dntknw.gif

Drummond
08-07-2015, 10:47 AM
I've already given my reply. And this is not my fault you did not understand it. To have the answers with the flexibility of an artillery cannon you'd rather address to "funny-gunny". http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/dntknw.gif

Yes, I know you have. And yes, I did understand it, thanks.

None of that alters the fact that the effect of your answer was to evade the rather more direct questions I asked you. And .. you're STILL doing it.

Which is a pity.

Never mind. Your persistent evasion is duly noted, and considered instructive. Thank you.

Balu
08-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Yes, I know you have. And yes, I did understand it, thanks.

None of that alters the fact that the effect of your answer was to evade the rather more direct questions I asked you. And .. you're STILL doing it.

Which is a pity.

Never mind. Your persistent evasion is duly noted, and considered instructive. Thank you.

You post indicates that you DID NOT understand my reply, as these WERE DIRECT answers to both your questions. It is hardly possible to imagine MORE frank answer. If you dislike the FORM of an answer... it is as it is. What to do, as I think it is a form appropriate for such questions.http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/sad.gif

Voted4Reagan
08-07-2015, 11:24 AM
perhaps we can help Ukraine hack some Russian servers.... because to the Ukrainians it would be useful.

Right everyone?

Drummond
08-07-2015, 12:05 PM
perhaps we can help Ukraine hack some Russian servers.... because to the Ukrainians it would be useful.

Right everyone?:clap::clap::clap:

Fine by me !

Now, who could object to that .. ?? :rolleyes:

Balu
08-07-2015, 12:46 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

Fine by me !

Now, who could object to that .. ?? :rolleyes:

It means you will not object our direct State aid and assistance to ANYBODY?
Do you feel the difference between OWN actions in OWN interests and direct official actions in the interests of the Third party?
As to Ukrainians - do it. They will be very grateful to you. Now they've already facing irregularity in water and electricity supply, problems with drain system and yesterday they signed the Decree that a NORMAL temperature in winter period in living houses is 16 C.
If the temperature happens to be lower, there should be less payment for 'service rendered not in full'. So, no doubt, this help of yours will be vital and topical for Ukrainians.
You'd better give them money to pay for gas and coil, not to frozen these so gullible Ukrainians in winter. :laugh:

Drummond
08-07-2015, 01:24 PM
It means you will not object our direct State aid and assistance to ANYBODY?
Do you feel the difference between OWN actions in OWN interests and direct official actions in the interests of the Third party?
As to Ukrainians - do it. They will be very grateful to you. Now they've already facing irregularity in water and electricity supply, problems with drain system and yesterday they signed the Decree that a NORMAL temperature in winter period in living houses is 16 C.
If the temperature happens to be lower, there should be less payment for 'service rendered not in full'. So, no doubt, this help of yours will be vital and topical for Ukrainians.
You'd better give them money to pay for gas and coil, not to frozen these so gullible Ukrainians in winter. :laugh::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Heh heh. Now, how about that ? Your smugness has disappeared ?

Though you're still trying to rationalise the issue as you are (and did I see a glimmer of recognition of Russia's culpability in your wording ??), suddenly, the strength of the emotion behind your comparative evasions is ramped up considerably.

Perhaps, therefore, you do see - when properly tested - how very objectionable (to put it mildly) such cyber-activities truly are ? 'Strangely', when it was, at first, the prospect of Russian activity against America, no such feeling was evident. When YOUR country might be the target .. and from your 'favourite' country, Ukraine, no less (:laugh:) suddenly, it all changes for you.

Thanks, Balu. As I said before ... very instructive.:rolleyes: