PDA

View Full Version : Brother in law's car

jimnyc
08-10-2015, 05:01 PM
My brother in law just bought a new Nissan Altima. He hasn't even had it long enough to make a payment on it yet. I was visiting NJ this weekend to visit my father who was in town. I was already back in the hotel sleeping. My sister calls me at 2:30am. My nephew thought it would be cool, at 2am, to take his fathers car to give his girlfriend a ride home. My nephew is 21, and his car was acting up. His father is like Shrek, just not green, and like 6'4 and probably like 280. I wouldn't take his car, you never know what may happen...

The main thing is that he is not hurt, just banged up. Can't say the same for the car, which my sister took a photo of today at the tow yard.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/car2.jpg

Perianne
08-10-2015, 05:03 PM
That will probably buff right out.

jimnyc
08-10-2015, 05:05 PM
That will probably buff right out.

I'm wondering of there's frame damage. I have a feeling it may be totaled.

Jeff
08-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Dang that stinks, but your right Jim the main thing is Jared is OK, but is he still OK after his Dad got to him? :laugh:

jimnyc
08-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Dang that stinks, but your right Jim the main thing is Jared is OK, but is he still OK after his Dad got to him? :laugh:

I think, that they think, that they may come out even on this. I think, if totaled, or not, they may be screwed, and then he's dead!! LOL

I don't think he's on the policy #1. I don't know how that works. They also have a $1,000 deductible, don't know how that works either. But damn, imagine of they come back and say it's totaled, but NOT covered because he was driving? That's like a $30k car.

tailfins
08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
I think, that they think, that they may come out even on this. I think, if totaled, or not, they may be screwed, and then he's dead!! LOL

I don't think he's on the policy #1. I don't know how that works. They also have a $1,000 deductible, don't know how that works either. But damn, imagine of they come back and say it's totaled, but NOT covered because he was driving? That's like a $30k car.

Most insurance companies cover OCCASIONAL lending of your vehicle to a friend or relative. Not putting someone at the same address on the policy might be a problem.

hjmick
08-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Oops.

NightTrain
08-10-2015, 06:05 PM
As long as he's a 'permissive driver', it should be covered... but if he tells the insurance company the kid took it in the middle of the night without permission, that is a different animal... at least up here.

And, yeah... the right wheel is completely missing. I'd bet money that the frame is tweaked by quite a bit. Those cars don't have any beef to the frames anymore, they're designed to crumple : Good for us, bad for repairing.

gabosaurus
08-10-2015, 06:26 PM

In some policies (including mine), if the car is being driven by someone not listed on the policy (or as a dependent), the accident is not covered. :eek:

Kathianne
08-10-2015, 06:28 PM

As long as he's licensed and insured somewhere, it'll be ok. Hopefully they have new car replacement, which means they'll pay $1000 for the new car. (their deductible). If they don't have new car replacement, they'll also get hit with depreciation-which depends on the car.

Jeff
08-10-2015, 06:42 PM

OOO man, if he wasn't on the policy it probably wont be covered, at least here in GA once your child turns driving age (16) you have to add them to the policy just in case they use the car, heck I explained no way will he be using it but it didn't matter, I had to buy him his own car and put it in his name in order to take him off of my policy, and once I did he was not covered at all, so if he drove my truck and wrecked Insurance wouldn't pay, I sure hope the laws are different up there.

jimnyc
08-17-2015, 05:03 PM
The car was officially totaled today. Still no word on insurance matters as of yet. Apparently my BIL has a new Altima set aside at the dealership waiting for things to go through on this issue. He had just better hope he doesn't find himself on the shitty end of a stick here!!

NightTrain
08-17-2015, 05:06 PM
The car was officially totaled today. Still no word on insurance matters as of yet. Apparently my BIL has a new Altima set aside at the dealership waiting for things to go through on this issue. He had just better hope he doesn't find himself on the shitty end of a stick here!!

Does the kid have any ass left?

jimnyc
08-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Does the kid have any ass left?

Well, for now, as there has officially been no loss yet. But suppose they come back and say they are only paying 23k out of 30k or whatever AND then say the first 1k is on them. That would be like 8k that the kid ain't got!! My BIL hasn't had the bad news shoved in his face yet, just looking for new cars is all. Won't be so great if they tell him "no" and he gets a bill instead.

NightTrain
08-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Unfortunately, the only time I've ever been given a fair deal with any car insurance company is when I threaten to involve a lawyer... hope it doesn't come to that for him.

sundaydriver
08-23-2015, 03:40 AM
Jim, how about an update if you have one. A favorable update would be best. I have a neighbors son that lives with them and drives their 2nd car without being named on the policy. He pays 1/3 of the insurance bill but refuses to have his name listed on the policy and his overprotective mother lets him get away with this and the father worries about it.

The momma's boy is 66 years old. Moved back home 25 years ago until he found a job and a place to live, no luck yet. :rolleyes:

jimnyc
08-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Jim, how about an update if you have one. A favorable update would be best. I have a neighbors son that lives with them and drives their 2nd car without being named on the policy. He pays 1/3 of the insurance bill but refuses to have his name listed on the policy and his overprotective mother lets him get away with this and the father worries about it.

The momma's boy is 66 years old. Moved back home 25 years ago until he found a job and a place to live, no luck yet. :rolleyes:

Still not much to report, but haven't spoke to anyone over there in like three days. I do know that they just came home with a new car yesterday, from the same dealership (Nissan). And the same financing place from what I understand (Nissan themselves). So I assume perhaps they are getting paid in full for the totaled car, or at the worst 1k less. I'll see what more I can find out.