PDA

View Full Version : Y.i.k.e.s

SassyLady
08-11-2015, 10:12 PM
I'm in the middle of one of the famous Tucson monsoon storms. Right in the middle of a huge lightning storm. With lights off house seems to be full of strobe lights. Loud, booming cracks. Good some good video. Will try to post sometime. Will try to keep posting but might lose internet.

Woooohooo!

NightTrain
08-11-2015, 10:56 PM
I really miss thunderstorms. Very, very rare if we get any here.

Wisconsin and Texas had some very impressive storms that used to scare the bejesus out of me as a wee lad. I'd always have nightmares, lol.

SassyLady
08-11-2015, 11:07 PM
I love the storms here and have eagerly anticipated monsoon season. Up until tonight most of the storms have managed to pass our little valley.

NOT TONIGHT!!! Holy cow. I usually go outside to take video of the lightning and thunder. This crazy stuff is landing in my yard ... I'm pretty sure it hit one of the saguaro's to the southeast of the house. And hail. I'm afraid to go look at the Yukon tomorrow ... if not hit by lightning I'm sure there is hail damage.

This stuff is fun to watch when it's about 5 miles away, but it's right here on top of me and isn't moving. And, it's been going on for the last two hours.

I'll try to download one of the videos later.

SassyLady
08-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that we live way out in the middle of nowhere so no ambient light to diminish the brilliance of the lightning. And, when it does light things up the saguaros look like the walking dead coming toward the house. Really crazy stuff.

Abbey Marie
08-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that we live way out in the middle of nowhere so no ambient light to diminish the brilliance of the lightning. And, when it does light things up the saguaros look like the walking dead coming toward the house. Really crazy stuff.

I wish I was there to watch the upcoming meteor shower. We have tons of light around. :(

SassyLady
08-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Well, this is monsoon season and it might be hard to see the meteors through the clouds but I'm hoping we get a break.

SassyLady
08-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Ball lightning now.

Black Diamond
08-12-2015, 02:51 AM
I'm in the middle of one of the famous Tucson monsoon storms. Right in the middle of a huge lightning storm. With lights off house seems to be full of strobe lights. Loud, booming cracks. Good some good video. Will try to post sometime. Will try to keep posting but might lose internet.

Woooohooo!
We will be there next week for three months. Coming from Fort Worth to cool off. :laugh:

SassyLady
08-13-2015, 11:34 PM
We will be there next week for three months. Coming from Fort Worth to cool off. :laugh:

:rofl1:

Kathianne
08-13-2015, 11:38 PM
I go to Flagstaff when it get 'too' hot here. I think I'd melt in Phoenix or Tucson!

SassyLady
08-13-2015, 11:38 PM
Sorry, no videos. Can't upload from computer. {sad face}

Kathianne
08-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Coming from the midwest, there were plenty of times we'd get 3-5 inches of rain in short order. Here? An inch-inch half can cause major flooding, mudslides very quickly. The other day I saw that the road to the North Rim of Grand Canyon (89A) had been closed for mudslide.

Rain can happen in one place, the runoff from mountains flooding somewhere with no rain.

Whole different environment.

SassyLady
08-14-2015, 12:04 AM
Coming from the midwest, there were plenty of times we'd get 3-5 inches of rain in short order. Here? An inch-inch half can cause major flooding, mudslides very quickly. The other day I saw that the road to the North Rim of Grand Canyon (89A) had been closed for mudslide.

Rain can happen in one place, the runoff from mountains flooding somewhere with no rain.

Whole different environment.

You're right. Lots of water in short time so no time to soak in. There are two spots between my house and town that you never drive through when it's pouring. Even though we have 4 acres here, there was actually only one really good spot to build the house. Large washes run down both sides. The driveway tends to get a little out of wack during the monsoons. Usually have to have more gravel brought in when things settle down. Really hard for me to get used to the fact that with that much water coming down, I can go outside and within minutes the ground looks like it never rained.

I don't worry about rolling my car windows up anymore. If rain gets in the heat will dry everything out before I can get out there to roll windows down again.