PDA

View Full Version : Marco Rubio

Kathianne
08-10-2015, 09:18 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/08/marco-rubio-iran-deal-election/400313/

How a President Rubio Would Undo the Iran Deal JEFFREY GOLDBERG (http://www.theatlantic.com/author/jeffrey-goldberg/)
<time itemprop="datePublished" datetime="2015-08-06T12:22:49">AUG 6, 2015</time>The Republican senator is “not sure” Congress can kill the agreement, which he dismisses as a “piece of paper” that Tehran will disregard and exploit.

In the course of a long telephone conversation last week, I learned a couple of important things from Senator Marco Rubio, the Florida Republican running for president (one of the Florida Republicans running for president, I should say). Rubio, who sits on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, is, with Lindsey Graham, the most fluent of the 3,000 or so candidates for the Republican nomination on matters concerning international affairs and national-security policy, and our conversation gave me a good sense of how the Iran issue would be managed with a Republican—or at least the particular Republican I had on the phone—in the White House.

The full transcript of our discussion can be found below, but I would highlight a number of points. The first is that Rubio made it clear he believes that Barack Obama will have his way on Iran: that Congress will not be able to muster a sufficient number of votes to override the president’s veto of an initial, Republican-led rejection of the Iran nuclear deal—a deal Rubio describes caustically as a “piece of paper that is blocking the pathways” to an Iranian bomb.

“I think the majority of members of Congress are going to vote against it,” he told me. “I’m not sure we’re going to have 67 senators, which would have to include a significant number of Democrats, to reach a veto-proof majority.”

Rubio argued that an Obama victory now would not necessarily translate into what the White House, or the Iranians, would see as a permanent win. He was blunt about what he would do should he reach the White House: undo, in whatever way possible, the deal. He believes it is inevitable that Iran will be caught cheating on its obligations, and when it does, he would be ready to mete out punishment—including to companies that will presumably be rushing into the Iranian market once the deal is finalized.

“There are companies and banks around the world that might be considering making significant investments in Iran, and what they need to know is that if they make a significant investment in Iran and a future administration reimposes sanctions, or Iran violates the deal, or Iran conducts some outrageous act of terrorism around the world and [is] sanctioned for it, your investment could be lost,” Rubio told me. “If you go into Iran and build a pharmaceutical plant, and you invest all this money to build it, and then suddenly Iran does something, and now you’re subject to sanctions if you continue to do business with them, you’re going to lose that investment. And so I do think that it’s important for investors and others around the world who are looking to do more business with Iran to be very conscious about this, because they’re basically gambling that this regime is not violating the deal or doing something new that could impose sanctions.”

Rubio is worried, however, that the world is ready to let Iranian cheating slide by: “Unless you absolutely catch them in a Cuban missile crisis-style situation, with pictures, red-handed, the world’s not going to force it, because there’ll be too many vested interests economically in Europe and around the world arguing against it.” The job of the next president, he said, would be to ensure that the United States, at least, doesn’t allow Iran to reach the point at which it is “immune” to punishment, or even attack by the United States.

Here is our conversation, lightly edited for clarity:

Abbey Marie
08-11-2015, 04:09 PM
So thoughtful and realistic. I really like him. So, of course, he will never be the nominee. I remember how many good candidates we had when Obama first ran. And they all dropped away and we were left with McCain.

Sigh.

Kathianne
08-13-2015, 11:34 PM
On Higher Education A response to Hillary's:

https://medium.com/@marcorubio/we-need-to-modernize-our-antiquated-broken-higher-education-system-here-s-how-6f2830092fd4

Personally I don't think that college education should be in the federal sphere, but they have caused most of the inflationary rise over the past 45 years through grants, loans, mandates.

The democrats want to spend more in the same way. Where are the Republicans, other than Rubio?

http://reason.com/blog/2015/08/13/republicans-need-to-speak-college-costs

Perianne
08-14-2015, 12:15 AM
I don't know what to think of today's tuition rates and associated borrowing problems. I know when I decided to go to college in the 1980s, it never crossed my mind to borrow money. I went to a college I could afford to pay cash for. I worked full time while going to college full time. When I graduated I owed nothing to anyone. Of course I didn't go to Duke University, but my employers never seemed to care. As long as I had the degree they wanted, it didn't matter.

There are lots of problems and I think government is involved too deeply in education. Let colleges no longer be funded by government. Let free market prevail.

Kathianne
08-14-2015, 07:11 AM
I don't know what to think of today's tuition rates and associated borrowing problems. I know when I decided to go to college in the 1980s, it never crossed my mind to borrow money. I went to a college I could afford to pay cash for. I worked full time while going to college full time. When I graduated I owed nothing to anyone. Of course I didn't go to Duke University, but my employers never seemed to care. As long as I had the degree they wanted, it didn't matter.

There are lots of problems and I think government is involved too deeply in education. Let colleges no longer be funded by government. Let free market prevail.
High five!

Kathianne
08-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Rubio put forward more on his health care proposal:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/08/marco-rubio-plan-to-fix-health-care-121453.html?#.VdR4LFUVikp

<header style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: proxima-nova, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">My Plan To Fix Health Care

</header><footer class="meta" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: proxima-nova, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">By SEN. MARCO RUBIO
<time datetime="2015-08-17" style="box-sizing: border-box;">August 17, 2015</time>
</footer>
To help more of our people achieve the American Dream, we need to make affordable, quality healthcare accessible in the 21st century. Unfortunately, President Barack Obama’s one-size-fits-all, big government approach has failed to achieve this goal. Since ObamaCare’s passage, many Americans have seen the law transition from a political mess to a personal disaster. Some have lost access to their doctors or the insurance plans they were happy with. Many have been forced to pay higher premiums and higher deductibles. Others have lost their jobs or had their hours cut. And the American economy as a whole has labored under the negative effects of Obamacare’s $1.2 trillion tax hike.

A law that was sold on the claim that it would lower healthcare costs has instead caused them to dramatically increase for many American families. Now, a new IRS regulation could force small businesses to pay fines of over $36,000 per employee per year if they choose to make a financial contribution to their employees’ health coverage.

ObamaCare is fatally flawed not just because it is poorly constructed, but because it relies on the outdated philosophy that the federal government can solve our problems through more spending, more taxes, more regulations, and more bureaucrats. The American people have been forced to be the test subjects of President Obama’s one-size-fits-all, big-government experiment, and have paid dearly for it.

For all of these reasons and more, I have fought against ObamaCare since I got to the U.S. Senate. I led the charge to stop its taxpayer-funded bailouts of the insurance industry and, fortunately, was successful in blocking them from taking place this year. But more must be done, and when I am president, repealing and replacing ObamaCare will be an urgent priority of my administration. Instead of relying on an outdated, big-government approach, I will utilize modern, consumer-centered reforms that lower costs, embrace innovation in healthcare and actually increase choices and improve quality of care.

My health care reform plan includes three primary components:

Kathianne
08-20-2015, 02:31 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/08/20/marco-rubio-gives-hillary-clinton-staunch-challenge-in-bellwether-states-poll-shows/?_r=0

Marco Rubio Gives Hillary Clinton Staunch Challenge in Bellwether States, Poll Shows (http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/08/20/marco-rubio-gives-hillary-clinton-staunch-challenge-in-bellwether-states-poll-shows/)
Senator Marco Rubio of Florida could be the toughest Republican challenger for Hillary Rodham Clinton in three crucial swing states if the two were to face off in the general election, a new poll from Quinnipiac University (http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2271) has found.

In a survey of voters in Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania, Mr. Rubio beats Mrs. Clinton in a general election matchup by the widest margins of any Republican presidential candidate.

Mr. Rubio has been maintaining a lower profile while some of his opponents throw barbs at one another and at Mrs. Clinton. However, he won accolades after the presidential debate this month for making a strong argument that his fresh face and humble beginnings make him best suited to take on Mrs. Clinton.

Despite Mr. Rubio’s strength in matchups against Mrs. Clinton, he faces challenges within his own party, where Donald J. Trump remains a dominant force. According to the poll, Mr. Trump holds comfortable leads in Pennsylvania and Florida. In Ohio, he trails John Kasich, the state’s governor.

jimnyc
08-20-2015, 02:46 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/08/20/marco-rubio-gives-hillary-clinton-staunch-challenge-in-bellwether-states-poll-shows/?_r=0

From that article:

On the Democratic side, Mrs. Clinton continues to poll well against Senator Bernie Sanders and Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. even as questions about her honesty weigh on her favorability.

A little lying and more scandals to her list sure won't stop Dems from voting for her! :rolleyes: