PDA

View Full Version : A Marine And Classified Information

Kathianne
08-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Unlike Hillary, wasn't for his own interests:

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/08/14/reminder-marine-at-risk-of-court-martial-over-e-mailing-classified-document-to-warn-against-massacre/

Reminder: Marine at risk of discharge over e-mailing classified document —What happens to people who send classified data through unsecured e-mail channels? Unless his or her name rhymes with Millary Minton, it usually results in legal discipline or prosecution. As a reminder of what happens to rank-and-file Americans who act with gross negligence in retaining and transmitting classified data, The Daily Beast’s Michael Daly spotlights the legal battle (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/14/hero-marine-nailed-for-sending-classified-report-from-personal-email.html?via=newsletter&source=DDMorning) of a Marine Corps officer and New York City firefighter who violated the law — in an attempt to warn people of a danger that went tragically ignored:

As the protégé of an accused drug lord with connections to the then Afghan president, Hamid Karzai, Jan might have imagined himself untouchable. But Brezler and Terrell kept pushing and were finally able to pressure the provincial governor into removing Jan from his post, a rare and notable bright spot in the bloodiest province in the bloodiest year of the war.

Now here was that name in the subject line.

“My reaction was visceral, and just seeing his name brought me great concern,” Brezler later testified.
The accompanying message from Terrell read, “Jason, I just got an email from one of my friends in Afghanistan; he just met Sarwar Jan. He is looking for anything we have on him. Do you still have that paper Larissa wrote on this guy in Now Zad? It could be very helpful. Anything you can think of would be useful. Thanks brother, Andrew.”

Larissa Mihalisko was a Marine intelligence officer who had prepared a report on Jan with information provided by Brezler and Terrell. Brezler had kept a copy along with other necessary operation reports on the personal laptop he used in the war zone, the Marines not having provided him one. …

In the next instant, he sent the report to the email address that Terrell had provided for another Marine in Afghanistan. He gave no thought to the document’s classification.

“I just reacted the same way that I would in a gunfight; the same way I would at a fire,” he said in the court papers. “I just immediately reacted.”

When he finally contacted the recipient, the Marine in Afghanistan informed him that he had just sent classified material over an unsecured communications service. Brezler did what he had been trained to do under these circumstances: he self-reported the spillage. Two weeks later, Brezler’s worst fears had come true. One of Sanwar Jan’s “chai boys” had indeed been a Taliban infiltrator in the unit at FOB Delhi in New Zad, killing three Marines in an exercise room.
to warn against massacre

POSTED AT 12:01 PM ON AUGUST 14, 2015 BY ED MORRISSEY