Kathianne
08-16-2015, 06:43 AM
On Russians support today for Putin and Stalin:
http://historynewsnetwork.org

Balu
08-16-2015, 08:40 AM
On Russians support today for Putin and Stalin:
http://historynewsnetwork.org
Rather interesting article to read. The proper link is as follows - http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/160100

But, it is very superficial, without binding to the History. Do try investigate the nationality composition of the Heads of The Council of People's Commissars in 20s and VChK, NKVD and GPU, compare it with with the ethnic composition of Russia and you'll find many interesting things.
The only thing I would like to recommend - read from Otto von Bismark. He seems to be the foreigner, who could understand and feel Russia best of you.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Rather interesting article to read. The proper link is as follows - http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/160100

But, it is very superficial, without binding to the History. Do try investigate the nationality composition of the Heads of The Council of People's Commissars in 20s and VChK, NKVD and GPU, compare it with with the ethnic composition of Russia and you'll find many interesting things.
The only thing I would like to recommend - read from Otto von Bismark. He seems to be the foreigner, who could understand and feel Russia best of you.

I have read and studied the Great German leader Otto von Bismarck who so masterfully dealt with his king.
The man was an Iron Willed genius of the first order. Even it his old age sharp as a razor!
Prussian and many think him the founder of the united german empire.--Tyr

Balu
08-16-2015, 09:14 AM
I have read and studied the Great German leader Otto von Bismark who so masterfully dealt with his king.
The man was an Iron Willed genius of the first order. Even it his old age sharp as a razor!--Tyr
Unfortunately you are the rearrest exclusion. There are so few Poets, chess players and those who I bothered himself reading of and about Bismark. And ALL this is in one person. May be this is a reason why it is interesting for me to speak with you. :beer:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately you are the rearrest exclusion. There are so few Poets, chess players and those who I bothered himself reading of and about Bismark. And ALL this is in one person. May be this is a reason why it is interesting for me to speak with you. :beer:

Trust me on this, there are many other fine people here.
Just takes time to get to know them and to be accepted by them.
We are a cautious group here to new comers and that applies to even a greater degree to new comers that are not of American stock.
I'd like to point out the demeanor(attitude) and posting styles of Abbey, Kat, Sassy , Trigg, Trinity, Perianne, Wiccan and other female members here for the abilities and virtues that lay within.
We guys are too often ripping and roaring for a fight.
Whereas , a little more civility, calmness, and intellectual thought before posting would do we males here a world of good.
Now the guys will be fuming at my great candor but hey, life is what you make it.
Be it = Good or Bad..
I fully include myself in the criticism of the guys here. --Tyr

NightTrain
08-16-2015, 10:20 AM
No fuming here, Tyr. I agree.

Kathianne
08-16-2015, 11:05 AM
No fuming here, Tyr. I agree.Thank you both. On certain subjects we can get riled, but not habitually. :)

Abbey Marie
08-16-2015, 11:25 AM
I would say that both of the men who supported us here are top posters in my book.

http://orig05.deviantart.net/a26d/f/2012/285/2/2/thanks_guys__by_waltzbrony-d5hld02.png

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-16-2015, 11:38 AM
I would say that both of the men who supported us here are top posters in my book.

http://orig05.deviantart.net/a26d/f/2012/285/2/2/thanks_guys__by_waltzbrony-d5hld02.png

Thanks!

I would be remiss if I did not add this-
I have found some mighty fine people , good friends here.
And that definitely includes some truly great guys-- the gunny included ! Don't shoot me gunny...;)
We guys here are passionate in many things--our right to fight--even each other being one of those things.
However, less fighting and more intellectual posting/discussing would be a great thing to accomplish here.

I have to say that , I have learned far, far more here in three years than I did in almost 6 years at the previous forum I vacated due to its true injustice and abject sorry attack(and banning) upon a member friend of mine there. And there I had 4 times the number of posts that I now have here!
Sadly most exchanges were with dems/libs/leftists and other assorted trash.
Thus my learning experience there ---- actually often went into the negative realm!--Tyr

Balu
08-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Trust me on this, there are many other fine people here. ...
Well... Do let me hesitate, Dear Robert, and base on MY OWN PERSONAL experience.
You've mentioned you read from Bismark. So, would you kindly comment the following? I'll be very much obliged.

Nothing is more vile and disgusting than the so-called "Ukrainians".
This scum, nurtured by the Poles of the most vile scum of the Russian people are ready for power and lucrative place to kill his own father and mother.
These non humans absorbed all the bad and the plain of the Russians, Poles and Austrians, for the good qualities in their soul is no more room.
Most of all they hate their benefactors, those who made them good in every way and are willing to kowtow to the powerful.

Otto von Bismarck

Balu
08-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks!

I would be remiss if I did not add this-
I have found some mighty fine people , good friends here.
And that definitely includes some truly great guys-- the gunny included ! Don't shoot me gunny...;)
We guys here are passionate in many things--our right to fight--even each other being one of those things.
However, less fighting and more intellectual posting/discussing would be a great thing to accomplish here.

I have to say that , I have learned far, far more here in three years than I did in almost 6 years at the previous forum I vacated due to its true injustice and abject sorry attack(and banning) upon a member friend of mine there. And there I had 4 times the number of posts that I now have here!
Sadly most exchanges were with dems/libs/leftists and other assorted trash.
Thus my learning experience there ---- actually often went into the negative realm!--Tyr
Well, Robert... Sledgehammer is a good, but NOT a great and universal instrument. In intellectual games it is useless. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/acute.gif
Judging by all the topics in this forum I see that you all are used to boil in your own pot, but nevertheless dare to interfere anywhere, even without bothering to learn anything about OTHERS. The result is evident, and it is on the surface.
You are far from being the hub of the universe. You DO NOT realize it, and this is your MAIN mistake.
You are suffering and, unfortunately, WILL suffer the consequences of this your delusion.

Voted4Reagan
08-17-2015, 03:49 PM

Then perhaps you should read Sun Tzu...

Poet, Philosopher, Military genius...

Same goes for George S. Patton

Poet, Romantic, Olympic Athlete, Fearless Warrior and a love of History and Philosophy

Balu
08-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Then perhaps you should read Sun Tzu...

Please, DO NOT bother yourself. I may read, and may NOT. But NOT intend to respond.

<label> This message is hidden because Voted4Reagan is on your ignore list (http://www.debatepolicy.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist). </label>

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Well... Do let me hesitate, Dear Robert, and base on MY OWN PERSONAL experience.
You've mentioned you read from Bismark. So, would you kindly comment the following? I'll be very much obliged.

Nothing is more vile and disgusting than the so-called "Ukrainians".
This scum, nurtured by the Poles of the most vile scum of the Russian people are ready for power and lucrative place to kill his own father and mother.
These non humans absorbed all the bad and the plain of the Russians, Poles and Austrians, for the good qualities in their soul is no more room.
Most of all they hate their benefactors, those who made them good in every way and are willing to kowtow to the powerful.

Otto von Bismarck

Bismarck was not perfect nor was he correct every time. If the Ukrainians stood in his way he would say anything to vilify them. As he was a master at disinformation and turning one group against another..
How much truth lies in his comments is a matter for debate.
Good strategy and good politics to vilify ones enemies. How good or how bad they may be I havent a clue myself.
Bismarck like any great leader, knew how to use words to stir people to act the way he desired, he did that to great effect with emperors and kings too.

Some of his quotes- not all are correct.. One must separate the wheat from the chaff. -Tyr

20 years after I'm gone, it will all be over.
Referring to the German Empire, which fell in November 1918, 20 years
and one month after Bismarck's death.

With a gentleman I am always a gentleman and a half, and with a fraud I try to be a fraud and a half.
Otto von Bismarck

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/otto_von_bismarck.html#MC65kvzLdhbxoB4B.99

The main thing is to make history, not to write it.
Otto von Bismarck

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/otto_von_bismarck.html#MC65kvzLdhbxoB4B.99

When a man says he approves of something in principle, it means he hasn't the slightest intention of carrying it out in practice.
Otto von Bismarck

No civilization other than that which is Christian, is worth seeking or possessing.
Otto von Bismarck

A statesman... must wait until he hears the steps of God sounding through events, then leap up and grasp the hem of His garment.
Otto von Bismarck

Balu
08-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Bismarck was not perfect nor was he correct every time. If the Ukrainians stood in his way he would say anything to vilify them. ... -Tyr

I am arguing - NEVER!
You know as well as me, the scientists, before starting DISCUSSING, used to agree upon the MEANINGS of the terms.
So, my questions is - Which SENSE you are putting in term ' Ukrainian' , taking into account, when joining the USSR in 1922 such regions as Nickolaev, Odessa, Kherson, Lugansk, Dneproprtovsk, Donetsk, Khrakov, Crimea and Lvov NEVER belong to "Ukraine".
Tell me, if you want to speak about 'Ukrainians' as a Nation, which prints of their existence in a History you, but you are a wise and educated man, no jokes, you can enumerate in such fields as Architecture, Literature, Painting, Music?
Robert! I am ready to pay YOU 10.000 dollars for any original International Act/Agreement/Treaty where 'Ukraine' is a Signing Party or indicated in a banknote dated BEFORE 1914. I WILL NEVER ask you to do the same if you fail. :beer:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-17-2015, 06:10 PM
I am arguing - NEVER!
You know as well as me, the scientists, before starting DISCUSSING, used to agree upon the MEANINGS of the terms.
So, my questions is - Which SENSE you are putting in term ' Ukrainian' , taking into account, when joining the USSR in 1922 such regions as Nickolaev, Odessa, Kherson, Lugansk, Dneproprtovsk, Donetsk, Khrakov, Crimea and Lvov NEVER belong to "Ukraine".
Tell me, if you want to speak about 'Ukrainians' as a Nation, which prints of their existence in a History you, but you are a wise and educated man, no jokes, you can enumerate in such fields as Architecture, Literature, Painting, Music?
Robert! I am ready to pay YOU 10.000 dollars for any original International Act/Agreement/Treaty where 'Ukraine' is a Signing Party or a banknote dated BEFORE 1914. I WILL NEVER ask to do the same if you fail. :beer:

My point was, I know a lot about Bismarck but not much about the Ukraine in particular. ..
I have not the knowledge to present views with conviction one way or another.
Disputes over specific territory and other factors in that region are not part of my history studies(long ago) etc.
As one that is vastly uninformed I do not dare speak as if I am quite knowledgeable on this particular topic.
Sadly I have not the time to study it in depth as of now. Too many serious family duties prevent that at this time.--Tyr

Balu
08-17-2015, 06:45 PM
My point was, I know a lot about Bismarck but not much about the Ukraine in particular. ..
I have not the knowledge to present views with conviction one way or another.
Disputes over specific territory and other factors in that region are not part of my history studies(long ago) etc.
As one that is vastly uninformed I do not dare speak as if I am quite knowledgeable on this particular topic.
Sadly I have not the time to study it in depth as of now. Too many serious family duties prevent that at this time.--Tyr
Dear Robert,
This is another prove, that you are a WISE, unblinded person. That's why you are an interesting man to speak with.:beer:
So, let us put this topic aside.
Then, I think that you'll agree with me. Those, who are not hesitating, and not curious, those whom there SYSTEM do not let know foreign languages and have alternative sources of information is a very weak system, they are narrow minded, and, that's why, not interesting for me.
Pay attention in 'Music' Thread you are giving only Americans. Compare it with mime and think - Why?
It's a great pity you did not have a time of yours to see a film acc. to my link. If you had and did, your surely could understand me even better. NOW, HERE, in Russia, in our cadet Corps we revived our traditional Russian System, when those, who want to dedicate their lives to independence of MY Motherland are taught at least (minimum) 2 foreign languages, dancing, etiquette. As to classes... I've shown once, but I'll repeat. Pay attention to the ages of cadets.

P.S.
Mind! This is from the OPEN sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSidns1zDdo

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Dear Robert,
This is another prove, that you are a WISE, unblinded person. That's why you are an interesting man to speak with.:beer:
So, let us put this topic aside.
Then, I think that you'll agree with me. Those, who are not hesitating, and not curious, those whom there SYSTEM do not let know foreign languages and have alternative sources of information is a very weak system, they are narrow minded, and, that's why, not interesting for me.
Pay attention in 'Music' Thread you are giving only Americans. Compare it with mime and think - Why?
It's a great pity you did not have a time of yours to see a film acc. to my link. If you had and did, your surely could understand me even better. NOW, HERE, in Russia, in our cadet Corps we revived our traditional Russian System, when those, who want dedicate their lives to dependence of MY Motherland are taught at least (minimum) 2 foreign languages, dancing, etiquette. As to classes... I've shown once, but I'll repeat. Pay attention to the ages of cadets.

P.S.
Mind! This is from the OPEN sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSidns1zDdo

Sadly our education system has fallen so far since the 60's. Prior to that downward spiral we had a most excellent education system.
The average high school graduate of 1938 was far more education than the average college graduate is today!
See linked below!!!

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/BACKTOTHEPAST/2004-11/1101526996

Subject: Can you pass a 1920's eighth grade final exam??????
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:48:47 -0600

I found this in the archives of a Rootsweb list.
Doris

FINAL EXAM

Pit Your Wits Against a 1920s Eighth-Grader

By William Casey

Sunday, May 25 1997; Page C04
The Washington Post

As the school year winds down, exams are constant and familiar companions.
Standardized tests are the rule in the never-ending effort to measure
performance and monitor educational progress.=20

But modern-day test results only rarely have a bearing on whether a student
progresses through the school system: For the majority of students, it's on
to the next grade, often independent of test performance.

Not so for a generation of students who grew up in Rush County, Kan. In the
first half of this century, passing -- or failing -- the eighth grade
"common school diploma" exams meant something to each student and his
family.

The test questions below were chosen from the 1923 and 1927 tests. They were
made available to Outlook by Philip Raup, professor emeritus of applied
economics at the University of Minnesota. Raup was one of 162 who earned
passing grades on the 1927 exams.

The tests were taken over two days at selected schools in Rush
County --meaning students had to travel to take the exams in an atmosphere
both strange and competitive. Proposed questions were submitted by teachers
from throughout the county; those actually included in the exam were
prefaced by the teacher's name.

Students deemed by the county superintendent to have performed at lower than
grade level were not permitted to graduate. The tests were "pretty big,
because if you didn't pass you couldn't go on to high school," says Laura
Turner, who graduated eighth grade in nearby Clay County in the 1930s
and went on to a career teaching in the Rush schools. "We found out three or
four weeks later. Your grades were published in the county paper."

Schools in Rush County towns such as Otis and county seat LaCrosse were in
session for about eight months each year, according to Madge Friend, a 1932
graduate of the Bison School. The vast majority, though, were one-room
schoolhouses "out in the county," and held classes for only seven months or
less. Rush County alone (Kansas has 105 counties) operated more than 60
one-teacher rural schools in 1927 with an enrollment of nearly 1,000.

The breadth as well as the specificity of the questions reflects the fact
that for many students, eighth grade represented their final year of formal
schooling. Eighth-grade graduations were an event of considerable importance
in an era when only a small fraction of graduates continued. Graduation
exercises, and related activities, continued to be a centerpiece
of town activity even as times changed and most students went on to high
school and beyond.

The exams were never replicated at the high-school level. They became less
common from the 1940s on, as statewide standards for curriculums and
textbooks were adopted by a growing number of schools.

Did the eighth-grade examinations deserve to be phased out?

Helen Henderick, a 1930 Rush County eighth-grade graduate who later taught
in the county, said she was glad the tests were terminated and the county
"stopped that foolishness." But Art Saylor, a 1922 eighth-grade test taker,
recalls the exams as valuable. It was a time, he said, when there was "No
one from the state a-tellin' you what to do. Now you get some smart aleck
from Topeka -- or Washington, D.C. -- and the schools get all busted."

William Casey is director of computer-assisted reporting for The Post.

SAMPLE QUESTIONS

WRITING (M.A. Callahan)

1. Give six rules to be observed at all times when writing.

2. Write two stanzas of some poem.

SPELLING (O.J. Lane)

1. Use the following words and expressions in sentences: some time,
sometime, its, it's.

2. Syllabify and mark the accented syllables and the vowels so as to show
their sounds: majesty, whereby, shamefully, angrily, dis-agreeable,
unfinished, control, develop, gasoline, oppose.

U.S. HISTORY (Flora E. Holroyd)

1. Answer the following questions in regard to the Articles of
Confederation:

a) From whom did the authority come to write them?

b) What state was the last to ratify the

Articles? When?

c) In what way were the Articles weak as a governing instrument?

2. Beginning with the original territory as granted by the Treaty of Paris,
at the close of the Revolutionary War, make an outline that shows all the
territorial acquisitions up to the present time. Give the time of
acquisition, the source from which the territory came, and the cost, if
purchased.

GRAMMAR (Flora Guethlin)

1. Diagram or analyze: As he approached the village, he met a number of
people, but none whom he knew.

2. Name and define the eight parts of speech. Give an example of each.

AGRICULTURE (Dave Wallace)

1. Name the five worst weeds in your locality and give the best methods of
eradicating them.

2. What are hotbeds? How are they constructed? Of what value are they to the
gardener?

KANSAS HISTORY (Neil A. Pate)

1. Name the state offices and officers.

2. Give events connected with the history of Kansas for these dates:
1804-1806, 1820, 1854, 1861.

CIVIL GOVERNMENT (G.A. Sanders)

1. Give the salary and qualifications of the president.

2. How are the expenses of our government met?

ARITHMETIC (C.F. Shambaugh)

1. How many cubic yards of earth are thrown out in digging a cellar 24 ft.
by 15 ft. by 8 ft.?

2. Define: Commission, par value, discount, net proceeds, interest,
insurance, brokerage, parallelogram, percent, convex surface.

Copyright 1997 The Washington Post Company

And that was for 8th grade! how many senior students could pass that test now?
Likely only about 15% .......--Tyr

Balu
08-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Sadly our education system has fallen so far since the 60's. Prior to that downward spiral we had a most excellent education system.
The average high school graduate of 1938 was far more education than the average college graduate is today!
See linked below!!!

Sadly beginning from 90s OUR educational system wanted to resemble yours.
Well, Robert, tell me, is there in the USA now such a system, which could automatically translate the TV programs fm Russian into English transmitted by inet? Good or bad - no matter! You are a WISE man. If such exist, I'll give you personally a very valuable present.
P.S.
Pls., see the latest posts in a 'Music' thread.
Sorry, but it will be over the edge if I'll start translating for Americans from French into English.

Perianne
08-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Well, Robert... Sledgehammer is a good, but NOT a great and universal instrument. In intellectual games it is useless. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/acute.gif
Judging by all the topics in this forum I see that you all are used to boil in your own pot, but nevertheless dare to interfere anywhere, even without bothering to learn anything about OTHERS. The result is evident, and it is on the surface.
You are far from being the hub of the universe. You DO NOT realize it, and this is your MAIN mistake.
You are suffering and, unfortunately, WILL suffer the consequences of this your delusion.

I realize I am not the hub of the universe, but I am certain the sun revolves around me.