PDA

View Full Version : Political Newbies

Perianne
08-18-2015, 06:06 AM
My beloved mother was always conservative. As a young girl I remember the Nixon tragedy and I waived about politics. It wasn't until Jimmy Carter became president that my conservative roots came to bear. Although with my first chance to vote I voted Republican (Ford), I had high hopes for America with Carter. As with all democrats, he was disappointing. By the mid 1980's America was seeing a new morning and I was working in a bar serving drinks. During down times, I read the newspaper every day. I found that I agreed with nothing the democrats stood for.

I am guessing that I have read politics every day since that time working in the bar. I also remember being at my BFF Erin's house and watching the Democratic Convention and seeing Barack Obama giving a speech. I correctly predicted at that time that he would be our president one day. Erin laughed at the thought, but she remembered that I had said that. She voted for him for President.

Now, my friend Erin is typical of many voters. They get involved in or around election time. Whoever captures their interests is the one they vote for. Never mind what he had done BEFORE running for president, it's what he says now that counts the most? Oh yes, Obama said a lot of wonderful things during his campaign for president. Those of us in the know knew what sort of catastrophe he would rain on us.

Now people are starting to get involved in this campaign. Conservatives who did not follow politics even six months ago have opinions about the candidates. People who did not follow Scott Walker through his battles with the conservatives can't really appreciate what he went through day after day for months on end. I kept up with Walker since he became the Republican governor in a VERY liberal state. It interested me.

Likewise, the same for Christie. I have followed him for years. His hugging Obama made me want to vomit, but overall he has been a reasonably good conservative governor in a VERY liberal state.

The same for Carly Fiorina. I have been interested in her since her days at Hewlett-Packard, waaaaaaay before most people had even heard of her. Over the years I have gotten a positive feeling about her that I can't adequately describe on a forum.

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

My beloved deceased husband hit me many times, cheated on me, forced me to do things I didn't want to do. People looking at just that description of him would ask me how I could have been so in love with him? If you take only the tidbits of what someone says and not look at the big picture, you don't really have the picture at all. I loved him for many reasons that are impossible to explain to someone who only reads tidibts (soundbites).

The point I am making is that being a political junkie doesn't appeal to some people. But their votes count the same as mine.