PDA

View Full Version : Since we're talking vehicles

Abbey Marie
08-18-2015, 11:51 AM
My car is excellent "off the light", so to speak . V6 engine and dual exhaust. My question: does the dual exhaust generally indicate that a car will be good this way, or is it just to make it look sporty?

jimnyc
08-18-2015, 11:54 AM
My car is excellent "off the light", so to speak . V6 engine and dual exhaust. My question: does the dual exhaust generally indicate that a car will be good this way, or is it just to make it look sporty?

What is that weird character after the word "speak" and prior to the period and V6?

I don't know crap about exhaust! LOL Darin's your guy there!

Abbey Marie
08-18-2015, 11:59 AM
What is that weird character after the word "speak" and prior to the period and V6?

I don't know crap about exhaust! LOL Darin's your guy there!

It's just a smiley- I'm on my phone at an auction.

NightTrain
08-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Dual exhaust allows the engine to breathe better with less backpressure. More oxygen in = more gas = more power.

But there are a lot of dual exhausts that aren't really dual at all, they're a single pipe and then split before it gets to the back of the car.

I wouldn't look down on a V6 anymore, either! They're really tuning those to produce some incredible power these days.

darin
08-18-2015, 12:00 PM
What kind of car is it? Most of today's "dual" exhausts are lies - it's a single pipe to a muffer with two outlets. :)

Nothing about dual exhaust neccessarily means performance. Sometimes people adding more piping or larger piping can hurt performance. If you're looking for a performance exhaust, remember - Backpressure is ALWAYS your enemy with today's engines. get the most-freely-flowing exhaust you can tolerate.

My 4cyl LegacyGT was STUPIDLY-fast off the line; and evne from a roll it was quick. With about $2k in mods I ran neck-and-neck with a brand new (in 2013) Camaro SS (up until I backed off at 125mph). :)

darin
08-18-2015, 12:01 PM
It's just a smiley- I'm on my phone at an auction.

WOOT! Post a selfie!

NightTrain
08-18-2015, 12:07 PM
WOOT! Post a selfie!

Seconded.

Abbey Marie
08-18-2015, 12:11 PM
What kind of car is it? Most of today's "dual" exhausts are lies - it's a single pipe to a muffer with two outlets. :)

Nothing about dual exhaust neccessarily means performance. Sometimes people adding more piping or larger piping can hurt performance. If you're looking for a performance exhaust, remember - Backpressure is ALWAYS your enemy with today's engines. get the most-freely-flowing exhaust you can tolerate.

My 4cyl LegacyGT was STUPIDLY-fast off the line; and evne from a roll it was quick. With about $2k in mods I ran neck-and-neck with a brand new (in 2013) Camaro SS (up until I backed off at 125mph). :)

It's a Mustang GT.

(j/k, it's a loaded Sonata. Aka, my baby, lol)

darin
08-18-2015, 02:29 PM
/changes my name to "Sonata" so I can be Abbey's baby.

Sonata is a nice car! :)

If you wanted more-aggressive sound you can replace the mufflers - but honestly, there'd be no performance gains. I'd consider a 75hp N2O kit; dry, no fuel lines required. :)

Abbey Marie
08-18-2015, 02:51 PM
/changes my name to "Sonata" so I can be Abbey's baby.

Sonata is a nice car! :)

If you wanted more-aggressive sound you can replace the mufflers - but honestly, there'd be no performance gains. I'd consider a 75hp N2O kit; dry, no fuel lines required. :)

:cool:

Thanks, but I prefer to quietly win. ;) What does the kit do?

I also like it when someone is surprised to see me when they catch up at the next light.

darin
08-18-2015, 04:54 PM
N20 - nitrous oxide has about 30% more oxygen than the atmosphere. Increaded o2 = more power :-)

Gunny
08-18-2015, 05:03 PM

Dual exhausts are generally pointless on a 6. I really love to hear them on a 4-banger. They sound like motor boats. :laugh:

However, the point to freeing up your exhaust means less back pressure on the engine. I does have a mechanical purpose besides trying to make the next Fast and Furious movie. :laugh:

Kathianne
08-18-2015, 06:51 PM
It's a Mustang GT.

(j/k, it's a loaded Sonata. Aka, my baby, lol)

If it was a Mustang, I'd have to hate you again. Was just getting over Italy, so I'm glad. ;)

Abbey Marie
08-18-2015, 06:56 PM
If it was a Mustang, I'd have to hate you again. Was just getting over Italy, so I'm glad. ;)

:laugh2: Is that a fave of yours?