PDA

View Full Version : Can We (Mostly) All Agree?

Perianne
08-19-2015, 02:00 PM
I recently had a post of my quoted and changed by a member. Apparently this is within the rules and I accept that. But it is of low character to do such a thing.

Can we all make a pact now to agree NOT to change another member's post?

indago
08-19-2015, 02:22 PM
I recently had a post of my quoted and changed by a member. Apparently this is within the rules and I accept that. But it is of low character to do such a thing.

By "change", what did that entail?

Abbey Marie
08-19-2015, 03:21 PM
It's hard to judge without a link, but I would say a lot depends on if it was done obvioulsy, or was done to try to fool people.

Perianne
08-19-2015, 03:22 PM
It's hard to judge without a link, but I would say a lot depends on if it was done obvioulsy, or was done to try to fool people.

Why do it at all?

Jeff
08-19-2015, 03:32 PM
Why do it at all?

I have to agree, I see people change a post and then say fixed it for you, I understand sarcasm and can deal with that, but really if you don't like what was posted don't respond, ignore it or debate it, but who ever posted it meant for it to be posted that way.

Abbey Marie
08-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Why do it at all?

A lack of any real point to make?

Drummond
08-19-2015, 05:12 PM

Can we all make a pact now to agree NOT to change another member's post?:clap::clap:

Very well said !!

I get that a lot, from one particular poster. I always regard it as pointless, and of course, I've never once stooped to that tactic myself.

Anyone doing that is resorting to cheap trickery, most probably to divert away from the weakness of their argument (.. at least, that's what I've found).

If you can't get agreement that it stops, if I were you, I'd gain satisfaction from knowing that the perpetrator is acting out of fundamental weakness, proving it with every such occurrence. And, as you very rightly observe, it is INDEED of low character to resort to that ! :clap:

LATE ADDITION -- I've just backtracked, Perianne, and discovered that we're both discussing the SAME individual. Not that I'm at all surprised, and of course, this helps confirm everything I've just said ...

... 'until' it gets reinvented, of course, by the offending party ....

indago
08-19-2015, 05:29 PM
I was on a message board awhile back where the Mods changed my ORIGINAL posting, and then made fun of what was written. When I looked it over, I thought "I don't remember writing that". Then one of the Mods admitted that my original posting was changed. I don't go there anymore. There were only about four posters posting there anyway. Probably because some there found out the same thing I did.

But, Perianne, you didn't say what kind of change was made to your quote. Were words substituted; sentences deleted; highlighted; what?

Perianne
08-19-2015, 05:32 PM
I was on a message board awhile back where the Mods changed my ORIGINAL posting, and then made fun of what was written. When I looked it over, I thought "I don't remember writing that". Then one of the Mods admitted that my original posting was changed. I don't go there anymore. There were only about four posters posting there anyway. Probably because some there found out the same thing I did.

But, Perianne, you didn't say what kind of change was made to your quote. Were words substituted; sentences deleted; highlighted; what?

Here is the link to the dastardly deed: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?51213-Birth-Citizenship-and-Trump-smokes-crack&p=757592#post757592

indago
08-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Here is the link to the dastardly deed: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?51213-Birth-Citizenship-and-Trump-smokes-crack&p=757592#post757592

Well, we'll let the Dastardly Deed Doer answer to that...

Drummond
08-19-2015, 05:47 PM

... indeed. A cheap, nasty, thoroughly disreputable trick. The offender should be full of regret for doing it.

Here's hoping for that very miracle - that YOU can be granted what I've never observed, myself !!

Gunny
08-19-2015, 05:49 PM

I thought that was already a rule.

Gunny
08-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Why do it at all?

Why vote Democrat? Someone that can't win on their own merit thinks they're fooling everyone cheating to win. The only person they're really fooling is themselves.

Gunny
08-19-2015, 05:54 PM

It wasn't THIS board, nor was it any board I ran when I was running it.

She doesn't have to specify. Altering someone's statement to misrepresent what they posted is plain bullshit.

Drummond
08-19-2015, 05:55 PM

I was on one, once, where an intended post of mine was intercepted by a Mod. To the best of my knowledge, it either never appeared, or, was erased within seconds of my posting it. Then, the offending Mod made a reference to what had 'apparently' never appeared. Then, when challenged, denied ever acting against me.

Needless to say, it was a Leftie-run forum (a British one). I lasted there about six weeks before they decided to chuck me off. I'm amazed I lasted that long ..... :laugh:

Drummond
08-19-2015, 05:56 PM

She doesn't have to specify. Altering someone's statement to misrepresent what they posted is plain bullshit.:clap::clap:

Drummond
08-19-2015, 06:01 PM
I thought that was already a rule.

If you're saying that there's a rule which should prevent that from being done, I'd like to know why it's never been enforced against the individual doing it. The offender has a history of such conduct.

Perianne
08-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Here is the rule and apparently fj is within the rules.

Quoting Posts - Members should not use the "quote" function to alter what another member has actually stated without making it clear to the reader that they have changed the quoted text.

The purpose of this thread is to see if we could all agree not to do that sort of thing. But upon second thought, no one does it except the one person and he is not likely to agree.

indago
08-19-2015, 06:12 PM

Quoting Posts - Members should not use the "quote" function to alter what another member has actually stated without making it clear to the reader that they have changed the quoted text.

The purpose of this thread is to see if we could all agree not to do that sort of thing. But upon second thought, no one does it except the one person and he is not likely to agree.

Yes, he no doubt wouldn't if it's part of his modus operandi...

Gunny
08-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Why do it at all?

One thing I WILL point out: people that do that crap are trying to get under your skin and you just let them. Jim, Darin and Abbey have overflowing PM boxes. And Kathianne will just slay the perp.

Let them handle it. While I agree with you, this shouldn't be public. All you did making it public was invite more crap. Jim might be a tad screwy but he's loyal to a fault. Just don't give him any coffee. Address your issues properly.

I'm only pointing this out because I'm the one that goes off the rails around here and I I ain't sharing my thunder.:laugh:

Perianne
08-19-2015, 06:16 PM
One thing I WILL point out: people that do that crap are trying to get under your skin and you just let them. Jim, Darin and Abbey have overflowing PM boxes. And Kathianne will just slay the perp.

Let them handle it. While I agree with you, this shouldn't be public. All you did making it public was invite more crap. Jim might be a tad screwy but he's loyal to a fault. Just don't give him any coffee. Address your issues properly.

I'm only pointing this out because I'm the one that goes off the rails around here and I I ain't sharing my thunder.:laugh:

Maybe I shouldn't have made it public. I did indeed PM Jim. I hope he is not mad at me now.

Drummond
08-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Yes, he no doubt wouldn't if it's part of his modus operandi...

This, sadly, is true.

Drummond
08-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have made it public. I did indeed PM Jim. I hope he is not mad at me now.

The offender, remember, made HIS conduct public. If I were in your shoes (.. and I have been, on many occasions) I'd not be much concerned about doing so.

Just possibly, a good outcome may result. By having this openly discussed, maybe, just MAYBE, this offending conduct may be viewed as counter-productive.

We shall see - here's hoping ...

Gunny
08-19-2015, 06:29 PM
If you're saying that there's a rule which should prevent that from being done, I'd like to know why it's never been enforced against the individual doing it. The offender has a history of such conduct.

I'm trying to remember and I'm kind of old. The fact is, I inherited Jim's old board by circumstance and a bunch of goofs abused it. I can't recall if I inherited the rule from Jim, or if I had to come up with it due to circumstantial idiots.

I've never known it to be a problem here. And I will suggest if it has been, the same thing I suggested to Perrianne ... PM an admin. Letting whoever this offender is know he/she has gotten under your skin isn't accomplishing anything.

I just know Jim well enough to know he's not going to let a regular, contributing member be mistreated. (Unless it's me or one of his brothers:laugh: )

Perianne
08-19-2015, 06:36 PM
I'm trying to remember and I'm kind of old. The fact is, I inherited Jim's old board by circumstance and a bunch of goofs abused it. I can't recall if I inherited the rule from Jim, or if I had to come up with it due to circumstantial idiots.

I've never known it to be a problem here. And I will suggest if it has been, the same thing I suggested to Perrianne ... PM an admin. Letting whoever this offender is know he/she has gotten under your skin isn't accomplishing anything.

I just know Jim well enough to know he's not going to let a regular, contributing member be mistreated. (Unless it's me or one of his brothers:laugh: )

fj was within the rules.

Gunny
08-19-2015, 06:37 PM

Probably not. He's taken a general rule and found a loophole. I think it's unsat, but there's always that one person. A microcosm of our society .. make a detailed rule that caters to and specifies the 1%.

jimnyc
08-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Before we go further, at least let me clarify for everyone - THIS IS NOT - a staff member changing someone's posts without authorization. What we are talking about here are changes that anyone can make when responding to and quoting another member.

We've allowed for changes within those quotes, so long as it was made very clear to anyone reading that a change was made. It's been done by quite a few more than just one member here. I think it was meant more for affect, not for deception. More as "mocking" or poking at someone. Not a big deal and the rules allowed for such.

Think about this too, if a member doesn't say something like "I fixed that for you" and/or has something in bold and says similar - does anyone even see the change? In other words, without the "being obvious" about the change part, there's no point in the change.

We're bouncing that addition to the rules around and may reverse course and just get rid of it. All it really turns out to be is a tool and a sanction to mock someone else by altering their words. I can't really think of any other need for it? There's plenty of other ways to mock someone! :)

Drummond
08-19-2015, 06:40 PM

If I did PM an admin about this, as you suggest, I'd be able to provide a whole list of links proving my case. Since this is so, it would have to come as a surprise if the incidence of this conduct isn't already a well known fact ... & long before today !

Purely personally, I'm not all that bothered, certainly not any more (indeed, it's become a source of amusement). Anyone stooping to such conduct proves their weakness (& much besides) by stooping that low. It's their failure of character, and their delusion, if they really can't see it in those terms.

indago
08-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Personally, I have NEVER PM'd a MOD about a poster doing something to my posts. I have handled it right there in the string (thread) so that all can see. After all, that's what these threads are all about: communicating with each other.

Gunny
08-19-2015, 06:53 PM
If I did PM an admin about this, as you suggest, I'd be able to provide a whole list of links proving my case (admittedly I'm half-tempted). Since this is so, I'm surprised that the incidence of this conduct isn't already a well known fact ... & long before today !

Purely personally, I'm not all that bothered, certainly not any more (indeed, it's become a source of amusement). Anyone stooping to such conduct proves their weakness (& much besides) by stooping that low. It's their failure of character, and their delusion, if they can't see it in those terms.

You need to read up. I think the Lord has spoken.:laugh:

Doesn't bother me much either and I feel the same about the weakness in character doing it. I was addressing malicious intent though. I think FJ just thinks he's funny without realizing not everyone gets his sense of humor.

And this hits on a story I had to tell my GF's daughter last night who thinks I pick on her .... I'm a Marine. Period. We get in a firefight and one Marine goes down, there's going to be 3 Marines standing over him accusing him of trying to get out of work. That's how we deal. We ain't got time to cry. What I've noticed though since I retired is I can't talk like a Marine around civilians. They get all butt hurt and feel threatened.

We should probably be a little more tolerant of each other instead of acting like we're one of these dumbasses running for office.

gabosaurus
08-19-2015, 07:09 PM
I think some of you take this board (and the things posted on it) WAY too seriously.
It's a message board, for God's sake. It's not an attack on your personal character.

OK, perhaps it is an attack on your personal character. Perhaps it was justified. Perhaps you don't have any character. Perhaps you need to be slapped with a trout.

Gunny
08-19-2015, 07:14 PM
I think some of you take this board (and the things posted on it) WAY too seriously.
It's a message board, for God's sake. It's not an attack on your personal character.

OK, perhaps it is an attack on your personal character. Perhaps it was justified. Perhaps you don't have any character. Perhaps you need to be slapped with a trout.

If anyone here needed to be slapped with a trout, I'd say it's the fraud playing Dem just to mock people.

Jeff
08-19-2015, 07:39 PM
You need to read up. I think Jeff has spoken.:laugh:

Doesn't bother me much either and I feel the same about the weakness in character doing it. I was addressing malicious intent though. I think FJ just thinks he's funny without realizing not everyone gets his sense of humor.

And this hits on a story I had to tell my GF's daughter last night who thinks I pick on her .... I'm a Marine. Period. We get in a firefight and one Marine goes down, there's going to be 3 Marines standing over him accusing him of trying to get out of work. That's how we deal. We ain't got time to cry. What I've noticed though since I retired is I can't talk like a Marine around civilians. They get all butt hurt and feel threatened.

We should probably be a little more tolerant of each other instead of acting like we're one of these dumbasses running for office.

Fixed it for ya :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Perianne
08-19-2015, 07:42 PM

D'oh!

Gunny
08-19-2015, 08:25 PM

He's not going to be mad at you. But step inside his shoes. Running a board full of goofballs isn't as easy at it looks. And I hate taking up for Jim. He might start thinking I like him. I DO however understand his position all too well. He's got to do what's best for all, not just one and he's going to get crap for it no matter the decision he makes.

In the end, he'll decide what's best for the board, in his opinion. It's his board. I get my butt chewed a lot for the board I ran, STILL, but I had to do what I thought was best for all. And I woke up to 20 paragraph "love letters" every morning. There's no fun in posting anymore. You're not allowed to say crap. I've been called a Republican, RINO, independent, moderate, leftwinger and progressive. Just depended on who I was arguing with. Apparently, I'm all over the sky.:laugh:

Guess what I'm trying to say is try and understand his position. The second anyone of y'all complain to him, he's between a rock and a hard place. You look at it as an individual and he sees a board.

Perianne
08-19-2015, 08:29 PM
He's not going to be mad at you. But step inside his shoes. Running a board full of goofballs isn't as easy at it looks. And I hate taking up for Jim. He might start thinking I like him. I DO however understand his position all too well. He's got to do what's best for all, not just one and he's going to get crap for it no matter the decision he makes.

In the end, he'll decide what's best for the board, in his opinion. It's his board. I get my butt chewed a lot for the board I ran, STILL, but I had to do what I thought was best for all. And I woke up to 20 paragraph "love letters" every morning. There's no fun in posting anymore. You're not allowed to say crap. I've been called a Republican, RINO, independent, moderate, leftwinger and progressive. Just depended on who I was arguing with. Apparently, I'm all over the sky.:laugh:

Guess what I'm trying to say is try and understand his position. The second anyone of y'all complain to him, he's between a rock and a hard place. You look at it as an individual and he sees a board.

Thanks, Gunny. I never thought about it like that.

Abbey Marie
08-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Gunny. I never thought about it like that.

And on top of that, he has an unruly staff second-guessing him! Especially that Nighttrain. ;)

Perianne
08-19-2015, 08:37 PM
And on top of that, he has an unruly staff second-guessing him! Especially that Nighttrain. ;)

Ya'll leave Jim alone. He is a nice man.

I am going to leave him alone, too. I think I bug him too much.

Now Abbey, YOU will get my PMs! lol

Drummond
08-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Personally, I have NEVER PM'd a MOD about a poster doing something to my posts. I have handled it right there in the string (thread) so that all can see. After all, that's what these threads are all about: communicating with each other.

... which is what I've done, in the past - only to often see it 'feed' the transgressor, who, I suspect, 'gets off' on all the contention.

After all, when you get down to it, it's a form of troll behaviour. Since when have trolls been known to have an attack of conscience ?

Drummond
08-19-2015, 09:04 PM

It's OK, Gabby. You can put that mirror down, now !:laugh:

gabosaurus
08-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Ya'll leave Jim alone. He is a nice demented old man.

Fixed it for you. :cheers2:

Perianne
08-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Fixed it for you. :cheers2:

D'oh again!

Gunny
08-19-2015, 09:48 PM

Asshole. :laugh:

Jeff
08-19-2015, 09:50 PM
I am a Asshole. :laugh:

Fixed it buddy :laugh::laugh:

Perianne
08-19-2015, 09:52 PM
I think this thread is a fail. :)

Gunny
08-19-2015, 10:14 PM

Which means what? This is another part of the deal ... you think I read 2500 posts a day? Add that to the 20 paragraph "love letters" in my inbox. I got a half hour before work and about two hours at night. I've been accused of allowing crap to happen I never knew was going on.

And again, I'll say walk a mile in HIS boots. The ones of us he knows, he isn't checking our crap. Well, maybe mine and Jeff's but he's not reading every post in every thread. Hell, I get answers 2 weeks later, and I've given answers 2 weeks later.

Having been on the other side of the coin, I'm just not into blaming staff. Nor am I blaming Perrianne. It's a better topic than another "Why Hillary Ain't in Jail Yet" thread. Staff doesn't have to do anything if the members are abiding the rules.

Jeff
08-19-2015, 10:14 PM

No Perianne it isn't, I kid with Gunny because I respect him, I like him, heck I wouldn't kid like this with someone I was trying to put down or that I felt was wrong. I have seen folks post fixed it for ya many times and most times it isn't bad, just a way to get at each other basically. Did Fj have a under lying meaning, not real sure but with what I have heard some say on here to you he may have, might just have been a poor judgement call on his part, but don't take me picking with Gunny as and disrespect to what you are saying, I am not trying to make light of it, as I said Gunny and I are friends or I wouldn't kid like that.

Gunny
08-19-2015, 10:20 PM
No Perianne it isn't, I kid with Gunny because I respect him, I like him, heck I wouldn't kid like this with someone I was trying to put down or that I felt was wrong. I have seen folks post fixed it for ya many times and most times it isn't bad, just a way to get at each other basically. Did Fj have a under lying meaning, not real sure but with what I have heard some say on here to you he may have, might just have been a poor judgement call on his part, but don't take me picking with Gunny as and disrespect to what you are saying, I am not trying to make light of it, as I said Gunny and I are friends or I wouldn't kid like that.

Trying to kiss up now, huh? If it doesn't work for this baby smiling at me when she wants crap, you ain't got a chance.:laugh:

Perianne
08-19-2015, 10:27 PM

I know, Jeff. That is why I had the smile :) afterwards. You guys are cool with me. Even Gunny! :)

Gunny
08-19-2015, 10:31 PM
I know, Jeff. That is why I had the smile :) afterwards. You guys are cool with me. Even Gunny! :)

:laugh:

I"m not sure I like the way that "even Gunny" part sounds.

Perianne
08-19-2015, 10:34 PM

You know I love you.

indago
08-19-2015, 11:45 PM
... which is what I've done, in the past - only to often see it 'feed' the transgressor, who, I suspect, 'gets off' on all the contention.

After all, when you get down to it, it's a form of troll behaviour. Since when have trolls been known to have an attack of conscience ?

It's not so much for the troll, but to communicate to others just what has occurred.

indago
08-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Which means what? This is another part of the deal ... you think I read 2500 posts a day? Add that to the 20 paragraph "love letters" in my inbox. I got a half hour before work and about two hours at night. I've been accused of allowing crap to happen I never knew was going on.

And again, I'll say walk a mile in HIS boots. The ones of us he knows, he isn't checking our crap. Well, maybe mine and Jeff's but he's not reading every post in every thread. Hell, I get answers 2 weeks later, and I've given answers 2 weeks later.

Having been on the other side of the coin, I'm just not into blaming staff. Nor am I blaming Perrianne. It's a better topic than another "Why Hillary Ain't in Jail Yet" thread. Staff doesn't have to do anything if the members are abiding the rules.

Which means what?

Jeff
08-20-2015, 04:23 AM

I thought she ended that perfectly :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jimnyc
08-20-2015, 11:11 AM

You are one of the rare few that would understand. I can't even recall how many times I have come to the board and have messaged waiting as such:

"are you really going to allow for this?"

"I can't believe this is acceptable and you let it happen"

And I'm like WTF? The majority of the time I have no idea what happened. Like Gunny says, I don't read all of the threads. Like everyone else, I read what interests me and bypass what doesn't. And yep, there were time I have logged in and the first HOUR is spent on PM complaints and arguments, and by the time I am done I don't feel much like posting. And that is NOT a complaint about any of you, it comes with the job. :) Just pointing out the facts is all. It's more about what the regular members don't understand than it is a complaint.

Perianne
08-20-2015, 11:14 AM
You are one of the rare few that would understand. I can't even recall how many times I have come to the board and have messaged waiting as such:

"are you really going to allow for this?"

"I can't believe this is acceptable and you let it happen"

And I'm like WTF? The majority of the time I have no idea what happened. Like Gunny says, I don't read all of the threads. Like everyone else, I read what interests me and bypass what doesn't. And yep, there were time I have logged in and the first HOUR is spent on PM complaints and arguments, and by the time I am done I don't feel much like posting. And that is NOT a complaint about any of you, it comes with the job. :) Just pointing out the facts is all. It's more about what the regular members don't understand than it is a complaint.

Sorry, Jim, if I have bugged you too much. :(

jimnyc
08-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Sorry, Jim, if I have bugged you too much. :(

Not at all, not at all. Like I said, so long as some understand what I'm saying, that's what matters about what I wrote. I just don't want folks mad at ME, for things I am unaware of, or for the length of time it takes to respond, or for why I make decisions I do. And sometimes it's good, so that we are aware of what is going on, as we don't always know. Mine wasn't a complaint as much as it was an explanation. :)

fj1200
08-20-2015, 12:02 PM

I guess one can measure character differently. Do you honestly think anyone was confused?

:clap::clap:

You deserve it because you repeat the same mindless prattle. :) And as an aside in my book it's far worse to ignore what you don't understand and proves you wrong along with your blathering it all over the forum then fixoring any quotes.

fj1200
08-20-2015, 12:06 PM

It finally got good. ;)

Drummond
08-20-2015, 12:10 PM
You deserve it because you repeat the same mindless prattle. :) And as an aside in my book it's far worse to ignore what you don't understand and proves you wrong along with your blathering it all over the forum then fixoring any quotes.

What's 'fixoring' a quote, FJ ? Something done with them that's nonsensical ?:rolleyes:

And of course, you need me to stop pointing out that which you'd prefer not to have highlighted. How sad for you ...

fj1200
08-20-2015, 12:15 PM
What's 'fixoring' a quote, FJ ?

You might want to brush up on internet.

Fixed, hacked, now-operational from a broken state.

This usually is in reference to some nerd (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nerd) or techie (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=techie) having fixed something such as an issue in an IRC chat room, web server, web site or other such geek (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=geek) related activity.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fixored

Forums should be fun, not the life/death, leftie-agenda, imaginary scenario you try to make it.

Drummond
08-20-2015, 12:23 PM
You might want to brush up on internet.

Noted. Thank you.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fixored

Forums should be fun, not the life/death, leftie-agenda, imaginary scenario you try to make it.

I take it you'll remember that, the very next time you launch one of your anti-Conservative attacks (which you 'never make') ?

You're trying, now, to make light of your recent trolling stuff. Well, that's one approach.

A better one would be to feel sufficient regret to resolve never to do it again.

fj1200
08-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Noted. Thank you.

You're welcome.

jimnyc
08-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Deja vu. Again.

fj1200
08-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Deja vu. Again.

I'm with ya' brother.

And my apologies for making your life interesting. :eek:

indago
08-20-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm with ya' brother.

And my apologies for making your life interesting. :eek:

Only in your rabid hallucinations...

Drummond
08-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Only in your rabid hallucinations...:clap::clap::clap:

tailfins
08-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Why do it at all?

Ridicule or humor. However it should be disclaimed that the quote was changed with "fixed that for ya'" or "I know what you said, but this is what you were thinking".

Voted4Reagan
08-20-2015, 10:26 PM
I finally got caught pulling this crap.... ;)

FIXED IT FOR YOU :lol::lol::lol:

fj1200
08-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Only in your rabid hallucinations...

That doesn't even make sense.

IS SOMEBODY ELSE WHINING NOW??? :lol::lol::lol:

:clap::clap::clap:

Drummond
08-21-2015, 08:19 AM
That doesn't even make sense.

:clap::clap::clap:

Here's a thought.

FJ, try being SORRY for your disreputable conduct !

That may not be Leftie. But it'll nonetheless be therapeutic. Try it sometime !

fj1200
08-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Here's a thought.

I can't believe I'm still whining about this

Quote above fixed for what I think the above poster should say. Nevertheless I might feel sorry once you own up to being a lying sack. :)

tailfins
08-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Here's a thought.

FJ, try being SORRY for your disreputable conduct !

That may not be Leftie. But it'll nonetheless be therapeutic. Try it sometime !

In general the thing I don't like about apologies is that they don't communicate a commitment to avoid a repeat performance. I would much rather hear a "it won't happen again".

Voted4Reagan
08-21-2015, 10:10 AM
You're right Drummond, It was a cheap and intellectually dishonest thing to do and I apologize to Perianne, Jimmy and all the members of the forum for this level of behavior. Iwill never ever do it again. I am sorry. :)

FIXED IT FOR YOU!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

fj1200
08-21-2015, 12:19 PM
FIXED IT FOR YOU!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Did me following the rules make you sad? :(

Perianne
12-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Before we go further, at least let me clarify for everyone - THIS IS NOT - a staff member changing someone's posts without authorization. What we are talking about here are changes that anyone can make when responding to and quoting another member.

We've allowed for changes within those quotes, so long as it was made very clear to anyone reading that a change was made. It's been done by quite a few more than just one member here. I think it was meant more for affect, not for deception. More as "mocking" or poking at someone. Not a big deal and the rules allowed for such.

Think about this too, if a member doesn't say something like "I fixed that for you" and/or has something in bold and says similar - does anyone even see the change? In other words, without the "being obvious" about the change part, there's no point in the change.

We're bouncing that addition to the rules around and may reverse course and just get rid of it. All it really turns out to be is a tool and a sanction to mock someone else by altering their words. I can't really think of any other need for it? There's plenty of other ways to mock someone! :)

Deja vu. Again.

Yep. He is still doing it.

Perianne
12-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Much of the time he changes my quotes to make me look racist.

I have a black friend. My half-brother is half black. I have three Filipino friends ( I really like Filipinos). I like Chinese food. I like Mexican food. My best guy friend is full-blooded Italian. My favorite food is spaghetti with meatballs. I like watermelon (a lot!) and fried chicken. I like a lot of the black music from the 60s and 70s. I drive a Jap car. My neighbors include a black and a Muslim.

I am about the least racist person I have ever known. It is not nice to call me a racist. :)

Gunny
12-09-2015, 06:16 PM

I have a black friend. My half-brother is half black. I have three Filipino friends ( I really like Filipinos). I like Chinese food. I like Mexican food. My best guy friend is full-blooded Italian. My favorite food is spaghetti with meatballs. I like watermelon (a lot!) and fried chicken. I like a lot of the black music from the 60s and 70s. I drive a Jap car. My neighbors include a black and a Muslim.

I am about the least racist person I have ever known. It is not nice to call me a racist. :)

Well, you ARE kind of racist. Beside the point. I don't and never have agreed with allowing others to misrepresent someone's post and IMO it just shows a weakness in the person doing it. It also goes to motive. Cut and paste certain statements from a post to address solely them is different to me than altering someone's words.

But where do you draw the line? Some of the guys I goof with do it in fun. In that context, I just laugh. Doing it in the context of just being an ass with no argument isn't cool. Our entire lives are based around that principle though. We have rules/laws and jerkoff's on the left want to break every one. It's a mindset.

gabosaurus
12-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Well, you ARE kind of racist.

You need to leave out "kind of."

But that is OK. Everyone is who they are. If that is how you are raised, or how your values developed, then there is no use trying to avoid the obvious. You is what you is.

My paternal grandfather was as racist as they come. He grew up in Jim Crow Texas and that is how people were. If you weren't an Anglo Protestant Texan, you were beneath him. He particularly hated blacks, Mexicans, Germans, Japanese and Jews.
My dad and my uncle vividly recall his daily non-PC behavior. You guys would have loved him.

Elessar
12-09-2015, 09:19 PM

She doesn't have to specify. Altering someone's statement to misrepresent what they posted is plain bullshit.

Those are just chicken-shit and underhanded tactics.

When I owned a board, and Admin'ed and Modded on others, I would
never have thought to stoop that low.

DLT
12-10-2015, 11:40 AM

Changing or altering someone's quote is an infraction-worthy act on most forums. It's a common thing for the idiot left to do, in fact, and I have, over the years, had to report this type of action many times.

Perianne
12-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Changing or altering someone's quote is an infraction-worthy act on most forums. It's a common thing for the idiot left to do, in fact, and I have, over the years, had to report this type of action many times.

This is a different forum from most and that is what makes this a better one....well, that and me being here. So, I fuss about it, but if Jim doesn't want to change it, all I can do is fuss about it. Because I am a woman and a man is doing something I don't like. I have had to straighten out men before.

fj1200
12-10-2015, 12:31 PM

I have a black friend. ...

Point of order: You make you look racist, I just take the time to point it out.

Is this your friend?

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/7d/7df71384656471296e1f8c1bd3559819e7116ebf59ce73b7c4 64e86060f14fbf.jpg

DLT
12-10-2015, 12:35 PM
This is a different forum from most and that is what makes this a better one....well, that and me being here. So, I fuss about it, but if Jim doesn't want to change it, all I can do is fuss about it. Because I am a woman and a man is doing something I don't like. I have had to straighten out men before.

Well...if that kind of behavior is allowed here, I'm certainly not above using that same tactic against the idiot left here, once they have used it against me....hehe. Let the games continue....

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Well...if that kind of behavior is allowed here,

The horrors that we allow!!

No offense to all. But look at the language on the board at times. Look at the things said about Islam, Catholicism, Obama, Bush... and we're going to worry because FJ changes something and makes it very clear he did so? This "allowance" has been around since 2003 and followed to this board. I could count on one hand the number of complaints about the use of such - until this year. And in fairness, I've seen it done by a lot more than FJ over the years.

And in general - it's always amazing that folks will scream about freedoms and the rules - until they have a reason to not like those freedoms and rules?

I'll shut that option down, since it's apparently what you guys want. But to look at me like "oh, that's allowed here, and if I don't get my way, I'll play tit for tat" bullshit, when the very freedoms like that are created by many coming here complaining that other places are too mod heavy. My portion in first sentence is made up for effect. I don't mean that towards you, DLT - but I'll guarantee that's all that we'll see next.

fj1200
12-10-2015, 12:57 PM

I think we should all do some selective editing. Do we really need to post the entirety of, sometimes, a 1000-word post to agree with or disagree with a portion?

Gunny
12-10-2015, 01:09 PM
I think we should all do some selective editing. Do we really need to post the entirety of, sometimes, a 1000-word post to agree with or disagree with a portion?

Difference between selective and altering. I can't stand 20 paragraph long posts and don't read them. However, if the selectivity takes that person's words out of context from what they are trying to say, then it's dishonest.

I've never been a fan of altering posts unless it's made clear the post was altered. I actually don't recall. I think I allowed it IF the person altering used a different color and made it clear it was altered. It's just as dishonest to present someone as saying something they didn't as selectively presenting a sentence/paragraph out of context.

I just don't see the point to doing it. Like it or not, a LOT of people take these message board arguments seriously. I used to until I figured out it's mostly a game for game-players. I thought I was actually having debates. :laugh:

fj1200
12-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Difference between selective and altering. I can't stand 20 paragraph long posts and don't read them. However, if the selectivity takes that person's words out of context from what they are trying to say, then it's dishonest.

I've never been a fan of altering posts unless it's made clear the post was altered. I actually don't recall. I think I allowed it IF the person altering used a different color and made it clear it was altered. It's just as dishonest to present someone as saying something they didn't as selectively presenting a sentence/paragraph out of context.

I just don't see the point to doing it. Like it or not, a LOT of people take these message board arguments seriously. I used to until I figured out it's mostly a game for game-players. I thought I was actually having debates. :laugh:

True statement is true. There's two reasons to mess with a quote; 1. Have fun because we're all adults here. 2. Save the board from having to read mindless trolling blither more than once. :)

EDIT:

Yes, debate is dead.

Gunny
12-10-2015, 01:19 PM
True statement is true. There's two reasons to mess with a quote; 1. Have fun because we're all adults here. 2. Save the board from having to read mindless trolling blither more than once. :)

Problem is, we are NOT all adults here. You have to know WHO you can have fun with. I tease the crap out of Jim and Jeff and they return fire. You too at times. There's one member here I don't like responding to even his good posts because he runs off and whines constantly. What he doesn't realize is I really could care less about him.

And if you read mindless trolling blither you're a better man than me. If I wanted to read a novel, there's a library up the road.

fj1200
12-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Problem is, we are NOT all adults here. You have to know WHO you can have fun with. I tease the crap out of Jim and Jeff and they return fire. You too at times. There's one member here I don't like responding to even his good posts because he runs off and whines constantly. What he doesn't realize is I really could care less about him.

And if you read mindless trolling blither you're a better man than me. If I wanted to read a novel, there's a library up the road.

Oops, my bad. I don't read it either. And my bad #2; you're correct. And not my bad; I do know who to have fun with. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!11

DLT
12-10-2015, 01:22 PM

No offense to all. But look at the language on the board at times. Look at the things said about Islam, Catholicism, Obama, Bush... and we're going to worry because FJ changes something and makes it very clear he did so? This "allowance" has been around since 2003 and followed to this board. I could count on one hand the number of complaints about the use of such - until this year. And in fairness, I've seen it done by a lot more than FJ over the years.

And in general - it's always amazing that folks will scream about freedoms and the rules - until they have a reason to not like those freedoms and rules?

I'll shut that option down, since it's apparently what you guys want. But to look at me like "oh, that's allowed here, and if I don't get my way, I'll play tit for tat" bullshit, when the very freedoms like that are created by many coming here complaining that other places are too mod heavy. My portion in first sentence is made up for effect. I don't mean that towards you, DLT - but I'll guarantee that's all that we'll see next.

Lol

Hey, I'm no angel. Contrary to popular belief...hehehe.....

I have been known to resort to titfortattactics (say that ten times rapidly, I dare ya). I'm just sayin....that I would turn it around on anyone that pulled that against me.

Gunny
12-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Lol

I have been known to resort to titfortattactics (say that ten times rapidly, I dare ya). I'm just sayin....that I would turn it around on anyone that pulled that against me.

I NEVER resort that kind of behavior. :halounplugged:

DLT
12-10-2015, 01:26 PM
i never resort that kind of behavior. :halounplugged:

lol!

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Lol

Hell, I would too! and do. :) I'm not jumping on anyone about this, I really don't care either way. I just don't want fingers pointed at me for what we "allow" is all. We go with the flow and generally let the community itself dictate things like this. I still don't see a huge deal with it if it's abundantly clear, but also have no issue changing the allowance of.

Perianne
12-10-2015, 01:33 PM

I often wear little black dresses. I like the Dallas Cowboys, even their black players. My favorite basketball player was Michael Jordan, who is BLACK.

Duh.

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 01:34 PM
I often wear little black dresses. I like the Dallas Cowboys, even their black players. My favorite basketball player was Michael Jordan, who is BLACK.

Duh.

My headphones are black AND from the Japs!!

Perianne
12-10-2015, 01:57 PM
I chose a black dog. Mostly black. She also has some brown on her.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8071&stc=1