PDA

View Full Version : Ayn Rand - Thoughts?

Noir
08-20-2015, 05:50 PM
It's a name I've heard muttered over the years, but never bothered to look into as the mutterings are generally those of mockery. But while parousing the book store today I found a copy of 'The Virtue of Selfishness' and thought I'd give it a read as I should have done a decade ago.

Anyways Rand seems pretty obscure here in the UK (or at least in my circle of knowledge) is she considered more of a household name (Either famously or infamously) in the states?

Black Diamond
08-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Did she look like Helen Mirren? And Nathaniel Branden like Eric Stoltz?

indago
08-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Yes, what is the fascination with Ayn Rand?

Little-Acorn
08-20-2015, 06:25 PM

Read "The Fountainhead" and/or "Atlas Shrugged" to get an idea.

Noir
08-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Did she look like Helen Mirren? And Nathaniel Branden like Eric Stoltz?

I'm not understanding this reference ^,^;

My curiously comes from her name popping up every now and then...

You're a proponent of Rand?

Black Diamond
08-20-2015, 06:35 PM
I'm not understanding this reference ^,^;

My curiously comes from her name popping up every now and then...

You're a proponent of Rand?

Look up Helen Mirren. And I have read Mein Kampf. Does that make me a proponent of Hitler?

Noir
08-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Look up Helen Mirren. And I have read Mein Kampf. Does that make me a proponent of Hitler?

Still not following with the Mirren thing >,>
and nope that's why I asked (though not you, but still).

indago
08-20-2015, 06:50 PM

Could you present us with an overview? I have, at present, no desire to delve into this...

gabosaurus
08-20-2015, 07:23 PM
She inspired a lot of Rush lyrics

Perianne
08-21-2015, 12:37 AM
It's a name I've heard muttered over the years, but never bothered to look into as the mutterings are generally those of mockery. But while parousing the book store today I found a copy of 'The Virtue of Selfishness' and thought I'd give it a read as I should have done a decade ago.

Anyways Rand seems pretty obscure here in the UK (or at least in my circle of knowledge) is she considered more of a household name (Either famously or infamously) in the states?

She is more or less a household name in political circles. And as you say, liberals tend to mock her; conservatives tend to love Atlas Shrugged.

SassyLady
08-21-2015, 02:16 AM
https://www.aynrand.org/

Noir
08-21-2015, 05:34 AM
https://www.aynrand.org/

Free courses 0: That's my kinda cost!
Though that does raise an ironic eyebrow xD

fj1200
08-21-2015, 07:36 AM

While I'd say that there are very few objectivists in the world, though a neighborhood friend acknowledge that he was one, there are plenty who will argue for her free market and anti big government stances. She wrote some good books, Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead as mentioned she also wrote some that are not exactly pick-me-ups, We the Living... I'll send you my copy. I don't recall having made it through any of her "how-to" tomes.

revelarts
08-21-2015, 07:52 AM
She is more or less a household name in political circles. And as you say, liberals tend to mock her; conservatives tend to love Atlas Shrugged.
Perianne sums it up i think.
Many conservatives and libertarians are inspired by her and view some of her ideas as an outline of how things should be. Ron Paul Likes Her so does Rand. But some conservatives mock her as well though or at least parts of her commentary. William Buckley didn't like her very much, if i remember right.

Funny a lot of the complaints that i've run across about her have to do with her being a "bad writer". rather than people really giving good critiques of her ideas. I've probably just miss the good ones.

Of course many conservatives have a problem with her atheism. and the base of her philosophy "selflessness." -cough-At least they have a problem with it being put so bluntly -cough-

I really liked atlas shrugged myself. not that it i agreed with all of her philosophical views of course but i thought it was an engaging book. better than some other sic-fi and fantasy i've read.

revelarts
08-21-2015, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmPLkiqnO8

revelarts
08-21-2015, 08:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u8Jjth81_Q

Noir
08-21-2015, 08:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u8Jjth81_Q

I watched this last night, a very odd sort of interview as i thought the host was very poor in his manor, kinda playing up to a sense of 'disbelief' at the things Rand was saying...which (i assume with research before the meeting) he should have already been aware of.

I also think she got somewhat ruined on the concept of monopolies, but its clear from her answers she doesn't believe so.

revelarts
08-21-2015, 08:28 AM
I watched this last night, a very odd sort of interview as i thought the host was very poor in his manor, kinda playing up to a sense of 'disbelief' at the things Rand was saying...which (i assume with research before the meeting) he should have already been aware of.

I also think she got somewhat ruined on the concept of monopolies, but its clear from her answers she doesn't believe so.

yep That's Oprah's Mentor.
that was Donehue's Schtick. Bring on people he knew had extreme views and act shocked. Often he'd have those he agreed with (he's left politically) on as well at the same time to refute the "crazy" people. And he'd smile and nod in approval at the wise normal guest.

indago
08-21-2015, 08:42 AM

Donahue plays Devils Advocate. The queries he puts forth may not be his own thoughts on the matters, but what has been put to him by others to present to his guests.

Also, upon watching, I haven't seen anything new presented by Ayn Rand that has not been presented by someone in the past.

Noir
08-21-2015, 09:34 AM
While I'd say that there are very few objectivists in the world, though a neighborhood friend acknowledge that he was one, there are plenty who will argue for her free market and anti big government stances. She wrote some good books, Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead as mentioned she also wrote some that are not exactly pick-me-ups, We the Living... I'll send you my copy. I don't recall having made it through any of her "how-to" tomes.

0: Will never knowingly say no to free books!

revelarts
08-21-2015, 11:30 AM

refuting evolution by Dr Johnathan Sarfarti Ph.D., F.M.
http://creation.com/refuting-evolution-index

in beginning was information by Dr. Werner Gitt
scroll down to see chapters
https://answersingenesis.org/answers/books/in-beginning-was-information/

Noir
08-21-2015, 01:44 PM
refuting evolution by Dr Johnathan Sarfarti Ph.D., F.M. http://creation.com/refuting-evolution-index in beginning was information by Dr. Werner Gitt scroll down to see chapters https://answersingenesis.org/answers/books/in-beginning-was-information/

A valiant effort =p but i'm nae gonna read a book on a laptop screen ^,^;

revelarts
08-21-2015, 01:47 PM
A valiant effort =p but i'm nae gonna read a book on a laptop screen ^,^;

Ah well had to give it a shot.

maybe you could hit a few chapters though.

Black Diamond
08-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Still not following with the Mirren thing >,>
and nope that's why I asked (though not you, but still).

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0140447/

fj1200
08-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Since I stepped in it if you send me an addy it'll be on it's way. :eek:

Noir
08-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Since I stepped in it if you send me an addy it'll be on it's way. :eek:

I gave the local library a look at they have a large selection of Rand to order, including those you mentioned, so your bookshelf is spared for now ^,^

Ah well had to give it a shot.

maybe you could hit a few chapters though.

I'll maybe print some of the first one for reading, as an off topic aside - I don't recall ever reading any creationist books, however, after being a bit more welcoming than i maybe should have to a creationist speaker who was doing a tour a few years ago, i ended up being sent something ludicrous like 23 DVDs, each with a couple of 'classes' by Kent Hovind. Are you aware of him? If so what are your thoughts towards him?

revelarts
08-30-2015, 08:57 AM
I gave the local library a look at they have a large selection of Rand to order, including those you mentioned, so your bookshelf is spared for now ^,^

I'll maybe print some of the first one for reading, as an off topic aside - I don't recall ever reading any creationist books, however, after being a bit more welcoming than i maybe should have to a creationist speaker who was doing a tour a few years ago, i ended up being sent something ludicrous like 23 DVDs, each with a couple of 'classes' by Kent Hovind. Are you aware of him? If so what are your thoughts towards him?

Yes I'm familiar with Hovind.
He not a scientist, he's a very sincere and ernest Christian and creation speaker but not always as careful and technical with info as he should be. He makes it hard to tell which bits are solid science, which are fluff or slight mistakes or just wrong.
He makes many points that are generally sound but too many bones to pick through IMO. I've learn some stuff from him myself but there are many others much better qualified to speak on the subject.

Gunny
08-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Free courses 0: That's my kinda cost!
Though that does raise an ironic eyebrow xD

Yeah. Heaven forbid you read something to actually learn something. All about the credits, huh?

And, Perianne, I've read Atlas Shrugged. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-30-2015, 10:19 AM

I never had any need to read Ayn Rand because I read and studied G.K. Chesterton.
Not knocking her but Chesterton gives much more to apply to personal life and understanding of man's inherent nature and political stripes IMHO. -Tyr