PDA

View Full Version : Paying homage to the Queen of Teens

gabosaurus
08-23-2015, 07:02 PM
I never knew that going to a concert was an all day and night affair until I volunteered (?) to take three teenage girls to Saturday's Taylor Swift show at the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles.
Being teenage girls, naturally there needed to be hair appointments, makeup and elaborate costumes. There was so much going on, I was almost exhausted before the show started.
But this is an energetic show like no other. Taylor Swift is not the Queen of Teens for no reason. She totally relates to her audience with positive messages of girl power. She speaks out against bullying, body shaming and not letting awful boys take advantage of you. :cool:
The show was awesome enough before Taylor broke out the Queen of Crunk, Mary J. Blige. Then it was off to FUNKY TOWN!!

http://www.trbimg.com/img-55d9ddb0/turbine/la-et-ms-taylor-swift-duets-with-crazy-eyes-an-001/900/900x506

I enjoyed the show so much, I almost forget the insane amount that it cost me.
My husband was unable to protest after the even more insane amount he spent for tickets to see Shania Twain on Thursday.

Kathianne
08-23-2015, 08:26 PM
I never knew that going to a concert was an all day and night affair until I volunteered (?) to take three teenage girls to Saturday's Taylor Swift show at the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles.
Being teenage girls, naturally there needed to be hair appointments, makeup and elaborate costumes. There was so much going on, I was almost exhausted before the show started.
But this is an energetic show like no other. Taylor Swift is not the Queen of Teens for no reason. She totally relates to her audience with positive messages of girl power. She speaks out against bullying, body shaming and not letting awful boys take advantage of you. :cool:
The show was awesome enough before Taylor broke out the Queen of Crunk, Mary J. Blige. Then it was off to FUNKY TOWN!!

http://www.trbimg.com/img-55d9ddb0/turbine/la-et-ms-taylor-swift-duets-with-crazy-eyes-an-001/900/900x506

I enjoyed the show so much, I almost forget the insane amount that it cost me.
My husband was unable to protest after the even more insane amount he spent for tickets to see Shania Twain on Thursday.

There's no doubt that she's the model for many a tween and teen girl.

Oh, if the hubby golfs, just ask him how much was the last game he played. ;) My mom always had that tucked away when we took off to see a theater performance and dinner. My dad golfed every Sat & Sunday when younger, though around 60 changed to just Sundays. By then 18 holes and a cart, (he no longer 'walked' the course), it was $100 per week + dues.

Shockingly, :laugh: I never asked to go to a concert, though went to plenty of them with dates. Needless to say, wasn't my favorite pick.

tailfins
08-23-2015, 08:36 PM
Now I'm happy I have boys and feel better about spending $750 for a Corgi puppy a few months ago for my oldest's birthday. He specifically asked for a Corgi.

gabosaurus
08-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Now I'm happy I have boys and feel better about spending $750 for a Corgi puppy a few months ago for my oldest's birthday. He specifically asked for a Corgi.

Why would you pay money for a dog when you could have gotten a rescue dog from a shelter for much less?

gabosaurus
08-23-2015, 09:07 PM
There's no doubt that she's the model for many a tween and teen girl.

Oh, if the hubby golfs, just ask him how much was the last game he played. ;) My mom always had that tucked away when we took off to see a theater performance and dinner. My dad golfed every Sat & Sunday when younger, though around 60 changed to just Sundays. By then 18 holes and a cart, (he no longer 'walked' the course), it was $100 per week + dues.

Shockingly, :laugh: I never asked to go to a concert, though went to plenty of them with dates. Needless to say, wasn't my favorite pick.

My husband doesn't golf. But he has always had a mad crush on Shania Twain. So I set him up with a ticket broker for last Thursday's show. The same broker I used for Taylor Swift. He probably paid his rent for a year with what he made off us. :laugh:

I have been to WAY too many concerts in my time. That mostly disappeared after we adopted Danielle.
Taking her and a couple of friends to see Taylor Swift reminded me of when my parents took me to see The Rolling Stones in Anaheim when I was in high school. It's a great bonding experience.

Kathianne
08-23-2015, 09:16 PM
My husband doesn't golf. But he has always had a mad crush on Shania Twain. So I set him up with a ticket broker for last Thursday's show. The same broker I used for Taylor Swift. He probably paid his rent for a year with what he made off us. :laugh:

I have been to WAY too many concerts in my time. That mostly disappeared after we adopted Danielle.
Taking her and a couple of friends to see Taylor Swift reminded me of when my parents took me to see The Rolling Stones in Anaheim when I was in high school. It's a great bonding experience.

With my hearing, concerts have never done it for me. Regardless of the band, I never can hear the lyrics correctly. I've seen The Who, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, and others. They were all 'great concerts' according to my dates and reviews. I just never could get into it. I actually fell asleep for Tommy, it was just too loud! (Funny thing about being nearly deaf, I don't handle noise that vibrates-which Tommy definitely did.)

Now I've seen Jersey Boys, The Buddy Holly Story live and really enjoyed those. Same with musicals such as Le Miserables, Wicked, etc. The venues though were The Auditorium Theater and Cadillac Ranch, both old theaters in Chicago with great acoustics. No problem with hearing.

I hope you both enjoy the Shania Twain show!

tailfins
08-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Why would you pay money for a dog when you could have gotten a rescue dog from a shelter for much less?

My son wanted an authentic Corgi. If it were just me, I would have done that.

Jeff
08-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Gabs although I believe Taylor Swift is a great role model, I think your husband got the better of the deal, God I would love to meet
Shania, heck I would love to see her in concert, but to meet her, heck I would be like one of those teenage kids that just stands there not being able to even say hello. :laugh:

Hope y'all enjoy the show Thursday, and if you could get one picture to post, well that would really be nice. :thumb:

gabosaurus
08-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Taylor Swift makes fans out of teens and admirers out of adults for her many charitable acts. She has called children dying of cancer and sang to them on the phone. She reaches out to those who can't reach back. She is surprisingly accessible.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-taylor-swift-super-fan-20150822-htmlstory.html

If this story about Swift composing a song about an Arizona girl who died of neuroblastoma and then singing it at a concert that her girl's mom attended last week doesn't choke you up, nothing will.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/people/2015/08/18/taylor-swift-emotional-tribute-fan-glendale-maya-thompson-ronan/31928597/

How real and honest is Taylor Swift? She turned down a $3.1 million offer to sing at a billionaire's wedding in favor of appearing at the christening of a friend's son.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/people/2015/08/23/taylor-swift-rejected-millions-perform-billionaire-wedding/32228719/

gabosaurus
08-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Gabs although I believe Taylor Swift is a great role model, I think your husband got the better of the deal, God I would love to meet
Shania, heck I would love to see her in concert, but to meet her, heck I would be like one of those teenage kids that just stands there not being able to even say hello. :laugh:

Hope y'all enjoy the show Thursday, and if you could get one picture to post, well that would really be nice. :thumb:

I most likely misspoke. The Shania Twain concert was last Thursday. We have seen Shania many many times, so he went by himself on Thursday. I believe he was in the second or third row. (In LA, those seats don't come cheap). But I am guessing he loved it as much as I enjoy seeing Bruce Springsteen (who I have seen many many times).
Nice review of the show here:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-shania-twain-staples-center-review-20150821-story.html

Jeff
08-23-2015, 10:03 PM
I most likely misspoke. The Shania Twain concert was last Thursday. We have seen Shania many many times, so he went by himself on Thursday. I believe he was in the second or third row. (In LA, those seats don't come cheap). But I am guessing he loved it as much as I enjoy seeing Bruce Springsteen (who I have seen many many times).
Nice review of the show here:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-shania-twain-staples-center-review-20150821-story.html

OK Well I knew Bruce's parents, well step Dad and Mom and met him at there place in Freehold NJ, so maybe we can make some kind of trade here. :laugh:

Voted4Reagan
08-23-2015, 10:47 PM

Exactly... Rescues ROCK!!