PDA

View Full Version : Credit Cards

Perianne
08-25-2015, 03:27 PM
I don't have a credit card and I never have. But I am thinking about getting one. That guy on the radio said everyone should have one.

Your thoughts? Which card to get?

NightTrain
08-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Well... if you want to rent a car or a hotel room, you're going to need one.

My cards are all through my credit unions / banks that I have accounts in. They're Visa for the most part and I've not had any trouble. That way when there's a problem, both the bank and credit card company is working for me.

I'm really leery of a normal credit card because of the $50k debt my ex-wife racked up right before the divorce... I got lucky and she ended up with it, but a different Judge could have easily given me at least half of her debt. These days I carry almost zero debt and pay as I go, but to build your credit rating you want to have some debt.

Jeff
08-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Well... if you want to rent a car or a hotel room, you're going to need one.

My cards are all through my credit unions / banks that I have accounts in. They're Visa for the most part and I've not had any trouble. That way when there's a problem, both the bank and credit card company is working for me.

I'm really leery of a normal credit card because of the $50k debt my ex-wife racked up right before the divorce... I got lucky and she ended up with it, but a different Judge could have easily given me at least half of her debt. These days I carry almost zero debt and pay as I go, but to build your credit rating you want to have some debt.

I rent rooms and such with my debit card, if they don't ask i don't tell :laugh:

A credit card is a great thing to have as long as you don't abuse them, my ex wife abused the heck out of them and at that point I cut them all up and swore never to have one again, but truth be told they are great to have for emergencies, yes I believe if I can't afford it I don't need it but that card can be a life saver sometimes.

gabosaurus
08-25-2015, 04:41 PM
I'm really leery of a normal credit card because of the $50k debt my ex-wife racked up right before the divorce

my ex wife abused the heck out of them

Don't you guys ever check your statements? :eek:

Jeff
08-25-2015, 07:28 PM

NO, LOL

I was on the road at the time Gabs, I had one simple rule if she took my check, pay the bills, and she said she was. Yes a valuable lesson learned.

NightTrain
08-25-2015, 07:34 PM

Pretty hard to do that when they were procured and maxed out on the sly.

tailfins
08-25-2015, 07:50 PM
I don't have a credit card and I never have. But I am thinking about getting one. That guy on the radio said everyone should have one.

Go to bankrate.com to see the best VISA card for your credit score. MC is more difficult to deal with. There are numerous consumer protections that come with a credit card. For example:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-benefits/credit-card/eclaim.jsp

Don't you guys ever check your statements?

My wife and I have separate credit. Joint accounts never help you. If you're short on money, you can default on a credit card without damaging your spouse's credit or vice-versa. If one of you ever goes to the hospital uninsured make sure a minor child signs the paperwork as "next of kin". That way your spouse's credit doesn't get damaged if you can't pay the bill. When a collection agency calls asking for "Johnny" you can ask why they want to talk to an eleven year old and if they are pedophiles or something. There's no law against a minor volunteering to be the next of kin.

Perianne
08-25-2015, 07:53 PM
That man on the radio said a person should have at least two credit cards from two different sources.

gabosaurus
08-25-2015, 08:25 PM
My wife and I have separate credit. Joint accounts never help you. If you're short on money, you can default on a credit card without damaging your spouse's credit or vice-versa. If one of you ever goes to the hospital uninsured make sure a minor child signs the paperwork as "next of kin". That way your spouse's credit doesn't get damaged if you can't pay the bill. When a collection agency calls asking for "Johnny" you can ask why they want to talk to an eleven year old and if they are pedophiles or something. There's no law against a minor volunteering to be the next of kin.

Tailfins Guide to Cheating, Vol. 45. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps you can try being honest for once. Unless integrity and personal responsibility are against your moral code.

tailfins
08-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Tailfins Guide to Cheating, Vol. 45. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps you can try being honest for once. Unless integrity and personal responsibility are against your moral code.

You live a sheltered life, sweetie. Those are ways out when you have $1,000 and collection agencies are demanding $10,000.

fj1200
08-26-2015, 07:57 AM
That man on the radio said a person should have at least two credit cards from two different sources.

Don't trust the man on the radio. If you've made it this far in life without a credit card you don't need one now. A debit card will get you anything a credit card will and the vendor won't know what type it is anyway; you can always run a debit card as "credit." Listen to this guy on the radio:

Dave Ramsey (http://www.daveramsey.com)

indago
08-26-2015, 08:46 AM

I've had an American Express Green Card since 1976. I make a lot of purchases online, and I can, and do, check the entries online often so that I don't get unwanted entries on the statement. I can write to American Express and get entries cancelled if they are fraudulent.

tailfins
08-26-2015, 08:55 AM
I've had an American Express Green Card since 1976. I make a lot of purchases online, and I can, and do, check the entries online often so that I don't get unwanted entries on the statement. I can write to American Express and get entries cancelled if they are fraudulent.

How helpful is AMEX with quality issues such as a slipshod car repair?

Perianne
08-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Tell me more, talifins. Is any card helpful with such an issue? And how so?

Bilgerat
08-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Normally, I use my Credit/Debit card for 99% of my purchases, but I have a few other cards, Military Star being among them

This year I got one of those "use this card for 18 months interest free". This is what my Lady and I consider free money. Free in the sense of "pay it back before the "drop dead" date and zero interest occurs"

Thank Jeebus that I had it, when I lost the transmission on the camper I had space to pay for the replacement.

indago
08-26-2015, 09:08 AM

Document everything! Go back to the repair shop and make your claim. Document their responses. If you are rejected, write to the credit card company and state your case.

I haven't had this type of problem before, but I have had several satisfactory removals from my statements.