PDA

View Full Version : O' Malley says debates are rigged

jimnyc
08-29-2015, 11:59 AM
And who believes they aren't?

-----

MINNEAPOLIS – Martin O’Malley had one clear chance to make waves within the Democratic National Committee, and he seized it, delivering a fiery speech Friday that condemned his party’s leadership for what he called a process “rigged” to help Hillary Rodham Clinton — namely, curtailing the number of presidential primary debates.

Accusing party leaders of trying to keep Democratic ideas hidden as the Republican presidential candidates spew “racist hate” from their debate lecterns, Mr. O’Malley, the former Maryland governor and mayor of Baltimore, questioned the decision to hold “four debates and four debates only” before the first four states finish voting.

“This is totally unprecedented in our party’s history,” Mr. O’Malley said. “This sort of rigged process has never been attempted before. Whose decree is it exactly? Where did it come from? To what end? For what purpose? What national or party interest does this decree serve? How does this help us tell the story of the last eight years of Democratic progress?”

While Mr. O’Malley never named the party’s chairwoman, Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, his remarks about the debates were clearly aimed at her – and she sat looking grim throughout, barely clapping, and appeared angry when she shook his hand once he finished.

He did not name Mrs. Clinton in his speech, either, but Mr. O’Malley was asked afterward if he thought the debate schedule had been arranged for her benefit. “Yes, I think so. Don’t you?” he replied.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/08/28/martin-omalley-rails-at-democrats-for-debate-schedule-rigged-to-aid-hillary-clinton/

tailfins
08-29-2015, 01:21 PM
So, it's gettin' ready to blow
It's gettin' ready to show
Somebody shot off at the mouth and
We're getting ready to know

It's gettin' ready to drop
It's gettin' ready to shock
Somebody done turned up the heater
An' a it's gettin' ready to pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94yWGkoA6o

Russ
08-29-2015, 03:19 PM
If I were Bernie Sanders or Martin O'Malley, I'd be disgusted with the favoritism toward Hillary, and I'd give some serious consideration to running Independent **. I would certainly at least threaten to run Independent until the DNC conceded a more fairly run process. Perhaps if Biden joins the race, the DNC will be forced to change a few things regardless.

** - Disclaimer - I am fervently hoping that Bernie Sanders does run Independent.

jimnyc
08-29-2015, 03:22 PM
If I were Bernie Sanders or Martin O'Malley, I'd be disgusted with the favoritism toward Hillary, and I'd give some serious consideration to running Independent **. I would certainly at least threaten to run Independent until the DNC conceded a more fairly run process. Perhaps if Biden joins the race, the DNC will be forced to change a few things regardless.

** - Disclaimer - I am fervently hoping that Bernie Sanders does run Independent.

I have to say, I'm not thrilled with the GOP handling of the debates either. Seems Fiorina will still be excluded from the next debate, based on old polls? I want to hear what they all have to say! (as much as possible anyway).

But yeah, seeing Sanders go independent would be cool, so long as Trump doesn't lose the nod and go that route himself, which I really don't think he would do anyway.

Russ
08-29-2015, 03:42 PM
I have to say, I'm not thrilled with the GOP handling of the debates either. Seems Fiorina will still be excluded from the next debate, based on old polls? I want to hear what they all have to say! (as much as possible anyway).

But yeah, seeing Sanders go independent would be cool, so long as Trump doesn't lose the nod and go that route himself, which I really don't think he would do anyway.

Agreed, Jim. As I understand, the RNC has given the stipulation of only 10 candidates in the "top-tier" debate but has left the criteria up to CNN on how to decide exactly who is the Top Ten? Am I right on this? Why leave it in CNN's hands? They slant toward the Democrats!
CNN is messing with the criteria by having it include polls back to before the first debate, so Carly doesn't get the benefit of her post-debate bump up in the polls. I have to wonder if CNN created the criteria with the intention of excluding Carly Fiorina. I also have to wonder why the RNC can't just tell CNN who the Top Ten are.

tailfins
08-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Agreed, Jim. As I understand, the RNC has given the stipulation of only 10 candidates in the "top-tier" debate but has left the criteria up to CNN on how to decide exactly who is the Top Ten? Am I right on this? Why leave it in CNN's hands? They slant toward the Democrats!
CNN is messing with the criteria by having it include polls back to before the first debate, so Carly doesn't get the benefit of her post-debate bump up in the polls. I have to wonder if CNN created the criteria with the intention of excluding Carly Fiorina. I also have to wonder why the RNC can't just tell CNN who the Top Ten are.

CNN is conducting a war on women! After Candy Crowley's stunt, CNN should be barred from GOP debates.