PDA

View Full Version : Concussion

namvet
08-31-2015, 09:07 PM
In August 2011, former players brought a lawsuit forth against the NFL which included former Atlanta Falcons free safety Ray Easterling and Hall of Fame linebacker Junior Seau. The lawsuit, which began with 200 former NFL players expanded to over 5,000 by 2015, declared that players suffered head trauma which was directly caused by playing in the NFL. On April 22, 2015, Judge Anita Brody approved a settlement for the NFL to pay at least $900 million over 65-years, plus lawyer fees and interest of $112 million.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io6hPdC41RM

based on a true story. coming in Dec

Gunny
08-31-2015, 09:14 PM
In August 2011, former players brought a lawsuit forth against the NFL which included former Atlanta Falcons free safety Ray Easterling and Hall of Fame linebacker Junior Seau. The lawsuit, which began with 200 former NFL players expanded to over 5,000 by 2015, declared that players suffered head trauma which was directly caused by playing in the NFL. On April 22, 2015, Judge Anita Brody approved a settlement for the NFL to pay at least $900 million over 65-years, plus lawyer fees and interest of $112 million.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io6hPdC41RM

based on a true story. coming in Dec

All I got say is don't play. It's a choice. Stay home.

I'd throw the case out of court. Get a job at McDonald's. The worst thing you can do there is get hit with a french fry.

Perianne
08-31-2015, 09:19 PM
All I got say is don't play. It's a choice. Stay home.

I'd throw the case out of court. Get a job at McDonald's. The worst thing you can do there is get hit with a french fry.

It will be interesting to see how this NFL-concussion thingy works out.

Gunny
08-31-2015, 09:28 PM
It will be interesting to see how this NFL-concussion thingy works out.

I don't think so. They'll cave. Fact is, Junior Seau was a monster and he led head first. He's lucky he didn't play back in my day. We'd forearm helmets.

My sensei told me about 35 years ago ?You know you're going to pay for this ..." And I DO. Every day. But I had a Hell of a run and it was MY choice. Should I sue the Marine Corps? Or should I not blame others and accept the responsibility for my own actions?

These people disgust me. They get millions of dollars to play a kid's game and then whine when they get hurt.

red state
08-31-2015, 09:57 PM
I don't think so. They'll cave. Fact is, Junior Seau was a monster and he led head first. He's lucky he didn't play back in my day. We'd forearm helmets.

My sensei told me about 35 years ago ?You know you're going to pay for this ..." And I DO. Every day. But I had a Hell of a run and it was MY choice. Should I sue the Marine Corps? Or should I not blame others and accept the responsibility for my own actions?

These people disgust me. They get millions of dollars to play a kid's game and then whine when they get hurt.

:clap::clap::clap:

Could not agree more (on ALL counts). I don't even want to give these guys enough credence than to watch the trailer. I automatically assumed when I saw this thread that most of them were bums who had wasted their millions and were now looking for a free meal ticket. I also assumed that they were probably the same type cheap shot artists I played with and against back in the day when I was DE & TE. They probably even joked about knocking guys "silly" while playing and knew that we all took the risk that boxers take. Sickening!!! Now that I'm done "ASSUMING" I may possibly look into it just to see how accurate my assumptions were.

Gunny
08-31-2015, 10:01 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

Could not agree more (on ALL counts). I don't even want to give these guys enough credence than to watch the trailer. I automatically assumed when I saw this thread that most of them were bums who had wasted their millions and were now looking for a free meal ticket. I also assumed that they were probably the same type cheap shot artists I played with and against back in the day when I was DE & TE. They probably even joked about knocking guys "silly" while playing and knew that we all took the risk that boxers take. Sickening!!! Now that I'm done "ASSUMING" I may possibly look into it just to see how accurate my assumptions were.

Junior Seau is dead. His daughter's trying to make a buck. Nobody made him play. I'm just sick of this crap. I joined up, I get fucked so I sue you. How about manning up?

red state
08-31-2015, 10:32 PM
Junior Seau is dead. His daughter's trying to make a buck. Nobody made him play. I'm just sick of this crap. I joined up, I get fucked so I sue you. How about manning up?

OK....thanks for summing it up for me cuz that saved me some wear & tear on the eyes when all it amounts to (probably) is someone trying to get a buck. It is worse than I thought. The player is dead and his greedy (OR) broke-@$$ kids want to (POSSIBLY/PROBABLY) get something out of it. My mom died of cancer and I can contribute that to many things (even though she never had a drink or smoke in her entire life) but I'm not gonna sue whomever I feel responsible....I treasure the time I had with her and move on.

As for sports.....we all knew the risks and the stupidity in some sports (most sports) but there was much to gain mentally and in building character that trumps the bad knees, shoulders & back pain. I would assume that you, GUNNY, could attest to this as well on a higher level regarding your service. It WAS & IS worth it.......but real men suck it up and go on!!!!

Gunny
09-01-2015, 06:18 AM
OK....thanks for summing it up for me cuz that saved me some wear & tear on the eyes when all it amounts to (probably) is someone trying to get a buck. It is worse than I thought. The player is dead and his greedy (OR) broke-@$$ kids want to (POSSIBLY/PROBABLY) get something out of it. My mom died of cancer and I can contribute that to many things (even though she never had a drink or smoke in her entire life) but I'm not gonna sue whomever I feel responsible....I treasure the time I had with her and move on.

As for sports.....we all knew the risks and the stupidity in some sports (most sports) but there was much to gain mentally and in building character that trumps the bad knees, shoulders & back pain. I would assume that you, GUNNY, could attest to this as well on a higher level regarding your service. It WAS & IS worth it.......but real men suck it up and go on!!!!

You can't win if you don't risk losing.

Jeff
09-01-2015, 06:56 AM
The Trailer looks great and it may be a great movie, but as stated above no one forced these guys to play this game for millions a year, after years of playing football from the pop warner age to HS level I realized hell you can get hurt, and we all know what damage you do to your body when young will haunt you as you get older ( yea I knew it I just didn't think it would haunt so hard :laugh: ) Even though I believe these claims are wrong ( the pain these guys feels is true ) but they knew what they where doing, so no, no more money, but the trailer does make it look like a good movie.

Gunny
09-01-2015, 07:53 AM
The Trailer looks great and it may be a great movie, but as stated above no one forced these guys to play this game for millions a year, after years of playing football from the pop warner age to HS level I realized hell you can get hurt, and we all know what damage you do to your body when young will haunt you as you get older ( yea I knew it I just didn't think it would haunt so hard :laugh: ) Even though I believe these claims are wrong ( the pain these guys feels is true ) but they knew what they where doing, so no, no more money, but the trailer does make it look like a good movie.

I got your "haunt so hard crap". :laugh:

fj1200
09-01-2015, 07:58 AM
... directly caused by playing in the NFL.

College? High school? Pop Warner?

Gunny
09-01-2015, 08:01 AM
College? High school? Pop Warner?

Try the Marine Corps circa 1980s. These so called "pro's" wouldn't have made it to half-time. And we still had to go to work afterward.

Gunny
09-01-2015, 08:04 AM
My GF gave me a shirt that says "Does Not Play Well With Others". Not sure what she's trying to say ....:laugh: