PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Go?

Perianne
09-01-2015, 08:24 AM
I am a small woman. When my husband died a few years ago, he left me several guns, including a .357 magnum 6-inch revolver and a 12 gauge shotgun. Now I have shot the revolver several times, but the recoil on that thing is just about too much for me. Today it is my primary protection handgun, though it is loaded now with .38 instead of .357.

The shotgun is oh my gosh! I have shot it several times, but it bruises me. My shoulder is too small for such a powerful gun. A couple of years ago I bought me a Remington 20 gauge pump. My daughter, who lives with me, has a 9mm S&W pistol. So, if someone decides to attempt to enter our house.... well, let's just say we are armed and ready! Thank God for the Second Amendment!!!!

Anyway, I would like to purchase just one more firearm. I want a deer rifle-type of gun. I have decided on a .243. The problem is, I live in the city and there is no good place to shoot. I wish I owned about 20 acres of land. I would get me a scope for my .243 and learn to accurately hit a target from 500 yards! It's just not any fun to have to shoot at a gun range.

Where do you go to shoot your guns?

tailfins
09-01-2015, 08:37 AM
I am a small woman. When my husband died a few years ago, he left me several guns, including a .357 magnum 6-inch revolver and a 12 gauge shotgun. Now I have shot the revolver several times, but the recoil on that thing is just about too much for me. Today it is my primary protection handgun, though it is loaded now with .38 instead of .357.

The shotgun is oh my gosh! I have shot it several times, but it bruises me. My shoulder is too small for such a powerful gun. A couple of years ago I bought me a Remington 20 gauge pump. My daughter, who lives with me, has a 9mm S&W pistol. So, if someone decides to attempt to enter our house.... well, let's just say we are armed and ready! Thank God for the Second Amendment!!!!

Anyway, I would like to purchase just one more firearm. I want a deer rifle-type of gun. I have decided on a .243. The problem is, I live in the city and there is no good place to shoot. I wish I owned about 20 acres of land. I would get me a scope for my .243 and learn to accurately hit a target from 500 yards! It's just not any fun to have to shoot at a gun range.

The subway. :laugh:

Actually there's a fad I see here in Texas: Luxury shooting ranges, complete with chef prepared meals. Here's an example in Collin County.

http://www.friscogunclub.com/

http://www.friscogunclub.com/images/simply-the-best-quote.jpg

http://www.friscogunclub.com/images/vip/VIP-Overview-600.jpg

jimnyc
09-01-2015, 08:39 AM
If the recoil is tough to deal with, maybe you can learn to shoot like Daryl Dixon? :)

http://i.imgur.com/KmL993I.jpg

Perianne
09-09-2015, 08:39 AM
To show the difference in American vs. British culture, I started this same thread on a British forum and as of today there are 641 replies. Most of them are negative and viewed me as supporting killing or as being a troll. One poster expressed fear of ever coming to the USA because he was afraid he would get shot.

I started that thread on that forum just to get a conversation going. Well, I did, but not the kind I expected. I left when a moderator expressed concern that I was a troll. Moderators, even though they can be regular posters too, carry more weight than regular posters. I wish they understood that.

Christie Brinkley, Nonnie, and especially my good friend Drummond defended me and my right to start the thread. Most of the rest were in attack mode.

Anyway, let us thank God for the good ol' USA!

darin
09-09-2015, 08:42 AM
I shoot in my back yard.

:)

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7651&d=1441806118

The folks in the EU - TOO MANY are conditioned now...brainwashed. They are too full of themselves to allow that they're lovers of fascism.

Perianne
09-09-2015, 08:44 AM
I shoot in my back yard.

:)

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7651&d=1441806118

The folks in the EU - TOO MANY are conditioned now...brainwashed. They are too full of themselves to allow that they're lovers of fascism.

I wish I had a place like that to shoot.

darin
09-09-2015, 08:51 AM
My house is for sale! 10 acres :)

First offer over $280k.

Noir
09-09-2015, 09:04 AM
One poster expressed fear of ever coming to the USA because he was afraid he would get shot

Well thats a bit mad. But, true story - when i was in America for a few weeks my dad was all 'just dont get shot' to which i was replyin 'no ones gonna shot a tourist' anyways i got back home and something like 2 weeks later four german tourists were shot dead where i'd been hanging about ^,^;

Jeff
09-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Perianne some of the bigger ranges would work, I always like to sight my rifles in at about 100 yards, we have one that is that large, but I guess just sight it in as far as you can down range at the largest range.

darin
09-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Well thats a bit mad. But, true story - when i was in America for a few weeks my dad was all 'just dont get shot' to which i was replyin 'no ones gonna shot a tourist' anyways i got back home and something like 2 weeks later four german tourists were shot dead where i'd been hanging about ^,^;

Folks think and say stuff like that out of attempts to be funny or ignorance. I hear that when I drive to Detroit propper. (shrug).

I'd bet UK has more violent crime, per capita, than US. I'd bet that number is close to twice.

If laws prevented crime, the UK should simply ban violence.

LongTermGuy
09-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Local ranges...for quickies...Dine "out" with friends on private property for weekend getaways...

Perianne
09-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Local ranges...for quickies...Dine "out" with friends on private property for weekend getaways...

I would never go to a gun range for a "quickie"! :)

Nonnie
09-09-2015, 12:47 PM
To show the difference in American vs. British culture, I started this same thread on a British forum and as of today there are 641 replies. Most of them are negative and viewed me as supporting killing or as being a troll. One poster expressed fear of ever coming to the USA because he was afraid he would get shot.

I started that thread on that forum just to get a conversation going. Well, I did, but not the kind I expected. I left when a moderator expressed concern that I was a troll. Moderators, even though they can be regular posters too, carry more weight than regular posters. I wish they understood that.

Christie Brinkley, Nonnie, and especially my good friend Drummond defended me and my right to start the thread. Most of the rest were in attack mode.

Anyway, let us thank God for the good ol' USA!

They troll that forum in a little gang and two mods support them. When you have a mod calling you a troll, it doesn't paint a good picture on that forum. But that's the insane culture of the forum.

Jeff
09-09-2015, 02:35 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey stranger things have happened. :laugh::laugh:

LongTermGuy
09-09-2015, 02:56 PM

Understand your point of view Dear.. makes sense...But...You know what I mean....:)

Noir
09-10-2015, 07:15 AM
I'd bet UK has more violent crime, per capita, than US. I'd bet that number is close to twice.

From all my looking that doesn't seem to be the case.

This is a well sourced (in so far as i can see) example of such stats
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-10%20at%2013.07.53_zpsgp6idi5g.png (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jonathan-mcc/media/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-10%20at%2013.07.53_zpsgp6idi5g.png.html)
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime/Violent-crime

Drummond
09-10-2015, 03:32 PM
I wish I had a place like that to shoot.

I'll tell the Brits you said that !! :laugh::laugh::eek:

Drummond
09-10-2015, 03:39 PM
They troll that forum in a little gang and two mods support them. When you have a mod calling you a troll, it doesn't paint a good picture on that forum. But that's the insane culture of the forum.

It doesn't paint a good picture of a forum where Mods behave disreputably .. you're absolutely right. Impossible not to agree with that one.

I'll have to go through it all in some detail, sometime .. but my impression was one of fairly widespread contention. The forum in question definitely did not come out of it exactly smelling of roses.

Drummond
09-10-2015, 03:41 PM
From all my looking that doesn't seem to be the case.

This is a well sourced (in so far as i can see) example of such stats
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-10%20at%2013.07.53_zpsgp6idi5g.png (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jonathan-mcc/media/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-10%20at%2013.07.53_zpsgp6idi5g.png.html)
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime/Violent-crime

Is allowance made for the fact that the US has at least five times the population size of the UK ? If not ..

Perianne
09-10-2015, 03:42 PM
It doesn't paint a good picture of a forum where Mods behave disreputably .. you're absolutely right. Impossible not to agree with that one.

I'll have to go through it all in some detail, sometime .. but my impression was one of fairly widespread contention. The forum in question definitely did not come out of it exactly smelling of roses.

Which forum are you speaking of? :)

Drummond
09-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Which forum are you speaking of? :)

.... er'm .... :rolleyes:

Noir
09-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Is allowance made for the fact that the US has at least five times the population size of the UK ? If not ..

...read the contents of the table?

Drummond
09-10-2015, 04:15 PM
...read the contents of the table?

Thanks, I have.

So, what do you say is the answer to my question ?

Noir
09-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Thanks, I have. So, what do you say is the answer to my question ?

Did you read the bit where it says "per million people"?

Drummond
09-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Did you read the bit where it says "per million people"?

So I see.

OK, then, is there data to show what percentage of these figures concerns gun usage ? Or, of those actually involving guns, how many had been acquired illegally, that's to say, outside of any laws governing their ownership ? Seems to me that the table you've posted leaves a lot of room for assumptions ..

Noir
09-10-2015, 05:16 PM
So I see.

OK, then, is there data to show what percentage of these figures concerns gun usage ? Or, of those actually involving guns, how many had been acquired illegally, that's to say, outside of any laws governing their ownership ? Seems to me that the table you've posted leaves a lot of room for assumptions ..

Follow the link to the web source, it breaks down information and certain crime stats more throughly.

However since DMPs quote was "I'd bet UK has more violent crime, per capita, than US. I'd bet that number is close to twice" I wanted to keep the infomation as general to "violent crime" as possible rather than on specific types of crime.

Drummond
09-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Follow the link to the web source, it breaks down information and certain crime stats more throughly.

However since DMPs quote was "I'd bet UK has more violent crime, per capita, than US. I'd bet that number is close to twice" I wanted to keep the information as general to "violent crime" as possible rather than on specific types of crime.

And DMP's post replied to yours, which was specifically concerned with gun shootings.

But .. what you reproduced, Noir, wasn't about, simply, 'violent crime' ... but about murders, murder rates, homicides. Why, then, did you concentrate on lethal crime ?

Gunny
09-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Perianne some of the bigger ranges would work, I always like to sight my rifles in at about 100 yards, we have one that is that large, but I guess just sight it in as far as you can down range at the largest range.

100 yards? THAT's it? What kind of wimpy crap is THAT? You shooting handguns, or what?:laugh:

Noir
09-10-2015, 05:59 PM
And DMP's post replied to yours, which was specifically concerned with gun shootings. But .. what you reproduced, Noir, wasn't about, simply, 'violent crime' ... but about murders, murder rates, homicides. Why, then, did you concentrate on lethal crime ?

Because the only stats held under the sub-section 'violent crime' were murders and homicides on the website i quoted. Finding like for like statistics isn't overly easy (because of factors like the categorisation of crimes being different), this website gives well sourced comparable crime statistics.

If you want to provide a link to a link to an equally credible and referenced website, with statistics that you feel are more appropriate to the discussion, please do so.

Drummond
09-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Because the only stats held under the sub-section 'violent crime' were murders and homicides on the website i quoted. Finding like for like statistics isn't overly easy (because of factors like the categorisation of crimes being different), this website gives well sourced comparable crime statistics.

If you want to provide a link to a link to an equally credible and referenced website, with statistics that you feel are more appropriate to the discussion, please do so.

What .. when you're doing so well with your own ? :laugh::laugh:

I think a helpful suggestion for you might be to move beyond those sources which hold a bias towards trying to rubbish American society. I feel confident that you'll find this advice useful, given your fondness for relying on Leftie publications, e.g the British 'Guardian' newspaper ..

DLT
09-10-2015, 06:28 PM
If the recoil is tough to deal with, maybe you can learn to shoot like Daryl Dixon? :)

http://i.imgur.com/KmL993I.jpg

But....Daryl's got muscles. Most women don't have that. Why haven't they made a killah gun that doesn't have a shotgun recoil? Oh wait...

they have.

And I got one! No recoil at all.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=GM413209&from=grid

Noir
09-10-2015, 06:40 PM
What .. when you're doing so well with your own ? :laugh::laugh: I think a helpful suggestion for you might be to move beyond those sources which hold a bias towards trying to rubbish American society. I feel confident that you'll find this advice useful, given your fondness for relying on Leftie publications, e.g the British 'Guardian' newspaper ..

Do you think the stats posted in this thread are bias?

fj1200
09-10-2015, 09:51 PM
... those sources which hold a bias ...

You can't dispute the stats so you rubbish the source? And you don't think you argue like a leftie. :rolleyes:

LongTermGuy
09-10-2015, 09:59 PM
But....Daryl's got muscles. Most women don't have that. Why haven't they made a killah gun that doesn't have a shotgun recoil? Oh wait...

they have.

And I got one! No recoil at all.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=GM413209&from=grid

Nice!

"The powerful and reliable Taurus Judge never fails to hand down a sentence"​:cool:

SassyLady
09-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Peri ... this is what I use for target practice (and a packrat here and there) and it can be front, back or side yard. 4.5 acres of desert. We hear gun shots out here all the time ... snakes, coyotes, bobcats, packrats .... I've killed one snake and one packrat. Missed one packrat and I'm still pissed about that ... left a nick in the stucco wall as he went over.

Here's one of the rattlesnakes....

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7653&stc=1

Sometimes we capture them and release back into the desert about .5 mile away. Need them to kill those packrats!

Drummond
09-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Do you think the stats posted in this thread are bias?

I think that your presentation of them reflected bias.

DMP was concerned with violent crime. Your posting from your source concentrated, as I pointed out, on LETHAL crime. But it didn't differentiate between killings from guns and killings from other causes (e.g knife crime), though gun crime was your interest.

You were doing what Lefties normally do ... pursuing an agenda, one purporting to represent 'objectivity', though in truth it does no such thing.

And of course, you've had some unsurprising support in that regard.

Drummond
09-11-2015, 08:35 AM
You can't dispute the stats so you rubbish the source? And you don't think you argue like a leftie. :rolleyes:

I know I don't, thanks.

But I note your interest in representing yourself as an expert as to how a Leftie would argue.

Noir
09-11-2015, 08:36 AM
I think that your presentation of them reflected bias.

DMP was concerned with violent crime. Your posting from your source concentrated, as I pointed out, on LETHAL crime. But it didn't differentiate between killings from guns and killings from other causes (e.g knife crime), though gun crime was your interest.

You were doing what Lefties normally do ... pursuing an agenda, one purporting to represent 'objectivity', though in truth it does no such thing.

And of course, you've had some unsurprising support in that regard.

Well there goes any attempt at a reasonable discussion, enjoy your Friday.

Drummond
09-11-2015, 08:39 AM
... enjoy your Friday.

Thank you kindly ! And, likewise.

Trigg
09-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Peri ... this is what I use for target practice (and a packrat here and there) and it can be front, back or side yard. 4.5 acres of desert. We hear gun shots out here all the time ... snakes, coyotes, bobcats, packrats .... I've killed one snake and one packrat. Missed one packrat and I'm still pissed about that ... left a nick in the stucco wall as he went over.

Here's one of the rattlesnakes....

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7653&stc=1

Sometimes we capture them and release back into the desert about .5 mile away. Need them to kill those packrats!

hubby took his 12 gauge and proceeded to politely persuade the residents of a HUGE hornets nest to relocate.

There's a video on our facebook page.

They declined the invitation to move, so he burned them out.

They are currently rebuilding, stubborn little SOB's :laugh:

Voted4Reagan
09-11-2015, 02:14 PM

By white Jewish guys?? or some other nefarious group hell bent on murder?

fj1200
09-14-2015, 08:35 AM
I know I don't, thanks.

But I note your interest in representing yourself as an expert as to how a Leftie would argue.

Sure you do, I know how you argue. I've seen it for quite some time from you and you provided a real-life example of it.

Elessar
09-14-2015, 11:12 AM

Have you tried adding a pad to the butt of the shotgun? If you are
firing heavy rounds like slugs, sabots, or 00 Buck...the kick will be stronger.
Plus, avoid magnum loads!

Anyway.....I live in the country - darn near wilderness. Finding a place to
shoot only takes a land-owner's permission.