PDA

View Full Version : Why Were The Eighties The Golden Years?

Christie Brinkley
09-01-2015, 06:02 PM
The music/films/tech was so original and full of quality? Why was it so great? What has changed?

My personally opinion is that it was in the transition between the old world and the new world in terms of globalization which back then was somewhat a positive thing (not if you worked in manufacturing).

Gunny
09-01-2015, 06:04 PM
The music/films/tech was so original and full of quality? Why was it so great? What has changed?

My personally opinion is that it was in the transition between the old world and the new world in terms of globalization which back then was somewhat a positive thing (not if you worked in manufacturing).

They weren't. The 60s and 70s were.

Perianne
09-01-2015, 06:04 PM

The eighties were the years of Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. Everything was better then.

Gunny
09-01-2015, 06:06 PM
The eighties were the years of Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. Everything was better then.

There were actually no "Golden Years". We were terrified of a nuclear holocaust.

Now we can be terrified of it again thanks to His Majesty, King Obama.

Christie Brinkley
09-01-2015, 06:14 PM
I think you are taking it too politically. Culturally it was richer.

Gunny
09-01-2015, 06:23 PM

I think it depends on your age. I liked the 70s WAY better than the 80s. The 80s was gay and brought political correctness into being. It had its perks, but it paled in comparison. Professional wrestling was better and we didn't have Rubik's Cubes nor Stretch Armstrong. We had a football, basketball, and bats n gloves.

And we had no internet. You had to slick up and walk across the street and knock on the little girl's door and if you were lucky, she answered. If you weren't, dad answered. :laugh:

Perianne
09-01-2015, 06:23 PM

In 1980 I was working as a maid/nanny for a married couple. By 1990 I had gotten my degree in Nursing, was married, and a mom. Life significantly changed for me.

Gunny
09-01-2015, 06:29 PM
In 1980 I was working as a maid/nanny for a married couple. By 1990 I had gotten my degree in Nursing, was married, and a mom. Life significantly changed for me.

In 1980 I was a bouncer in a biker bar in S FL before I joined the Marine Corps. Life significantly changed for me too.

What I'm talking about is when "liberals" were actually liberal, and people didn't spend their time telling you what to think. You could actually be white and heterosexual and it wasn't a crime.

Perianne
09-01-2015, 06:35 PM
In 1980 I was a bouncer in a biker bar in S FL before I joined the Marine Corps. Life significantly changed for me too.

What I'm talking about is when "liberals" were actually liberal, and people didn't spend their time telling you what to think. You could actually be white and heterosexual and it wasn't a crime.

Your post gives me an idea for a new thread.

Gunny
09-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Your post gives me an idea for a new thread.

Oh Lord. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Abbey Marie
09-01-2015, 07:13 PM
The 80s- the decade of Beamers and Yuppies and shoulder pads and big frizzy hair.

Yuk.

tailfins
09-01-2015, 07:22 PM
They weren't. The 60s and 70s were.

John Lennon the golden years? Keep going back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gEEt9_QrVY

Abbey Marie
09-01-2015, 07:27 PM
I forgot to mention that 80s electro-pop synthesizer music. :p

Gunny
09-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I forgot to mention that 80s electro-pop synthesizer music. :p

I forgot the hair. I think it was on purpose.:laugh:

Abbey Marie
09-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Nothing personal, Christie! I hope I didn't mess up your thread.

:beer:

Gunny
09-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Nothing personal, Christie! I hope I didn't mess up your thread.

:beer:

She's okay. I think. Got that Brit sense of humour. :laugh:

gabosaurus
09-01-2015, 09:16 PM
The "golden years" were generally the time when you were growing up and times appeared simpler. What is gold to you might be dirt to others.

I agree with my dad that the "golden years" were 60s and early 70s. The music was exceptional. Movies and books elevated to a higher (and less censored) level. There was birth control but no AIDs. Young people and women began to find their voice in society. People began to question the wrongs in society instead of merely ignoring them.
There was a progression in life, from "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver" to "All In The Family" and "Room 222." And it was good.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-01-2015, 09:41 PM

The 80's weren't bad but the 60/70's were much better.
Gunny got it right! That 20 year spread was tops... :beer:--Tyr

Noir
09-02-2015, 10:49 AM
They weren't, by almost measure the future will always be better.

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 11:57 AM
They weren't, by almost measure the future will always be better.
The future is better, well comparing the 80's with now back in the 80's people were less obese and generally more healthy than they are now?

Noir
09-02-2015, 12:12 PM
The future is better, well comparing the 80's with now back in the 80's people were less obese and generally more healthy than they are now?

Health in itself is an unintuitively abstract concept to compare, if obesity and STDs were lower in the 80s, but treatment for diabetes and cancers etc were worse than today, then which era considered is better?

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Health in itself is an unintuitively abstract concept to compare, if obesity and STDs were lower in the 80s, but treatment for diabetes and cancers etc were worse than today, then which era considered is better?
The era where there were less people getting sick obviously. So in 2100 where almost everyone gets cancer but the treatment is better and more survive? Which is better? Seriously?

Noir
09-02-2015, 03:48 PM
The era where there were less people getting sick obviously. So in 2100 where almost everyone gets cancer but the treatment is better and more survive? Which is better? Seriously?

More people getting cancer is a negative, cancer having much better treatment rates is a positive. Erecting the parameters required to deem which is "better" is not so clear cut IMO, and this is only within one specific type of sickness.

The landscape of Heath has many valleys, peaks, and midways inbetween.

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 07:49 PM
More people getting cancer is a negative, cancer having much better treatment rates is a positive. Erecting the parameters required to deem which is "better" is not so clear cut IMO, and this is only within one specific type of sickness.

More people getting sick and more people getting cures is not a positive. I think a bigger positive is people not getting sick in the first place.

Gunny
09-02-2015, 08:25 PM

It's pretty clear cut. You just stepped in it. Again. As usual.

Noir
09-03-2015, 05:30 AM
More people getting sick and more people getting cures is not a positive. I think a bigger positive is people not getting sick in the first place.

Obviously not getting sick is preferable, but the knowledge that if you are sick the treatment/cures are much better has to be factored. After All i would assume we're talking about a societal level of health, not an individual level as a 'golden age'.

tailfins
09-03-2015, 07:19 AM
I would have said the "roaring 1920s" except that tuberculosis, formerly known as consumption, is no fun.

jimnyc
09-03-2015, 07:36 AM
The 80's ruled! I was just 12 when they kicked into gear, and then went from junior high into high school. Went from 12 and peeking at girls, to older and a pervert and starting to date. Graduated in 1986. Started driving in 1985. Got my first job in the 80's. First time drinking in the 80's. Entered college in the 80's. Lost virginity in the 80's!!

That's some awesome years, when we go into HS and graduate, turn into adults, start listening to real music and enter the "real world". I wish I could do some of it again!