PDA

View Full Version : A New Fun Thing

Perianne
09-01-2015, 06:38 PM
I have been tossing around an idea for several years now.

I am thinking of setting aside $1,000 to play the stock market, buying and selling individual stocks, kind of a day trader type of thing. I figure it would cause me to learn a lot more about money and how things work.

Has anyone here ever done that?

Christie Brinkley
09-01-2015, 06:55 PM
The stocks are turbulent with what is going on in China. Best to invest in metals especially silver.

fj1200
09-02-2015, 08:38 AM

I am thinking of setting aside $1,000 to play the stock market, buying and selling individual stocks, kind of a day trader type of thing. I figure it would cause me to learn a lot more about money and how things work.

Be prepared to lose $1000 then.

The stocks are turbulent with what is going on in China. Best to invest in metals especially silver.

Metals are an awful investment IMO. At best they are a hedge.

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Be prepared to lose $1000 then.

Metals are an awful investment IMO. At best they are a hedge.
I don't buy metals for an investment I buy them for security.

fj1200
09-02-2015, 09:01 AM
I don't buy metals for an investment I buy them for security.

I think we already have a preppers thread somewhere. :poke:

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 09:11 AM
I think we already have a preppers thread somewhere. :poke:
Is insurance prepping?

fj1200
09-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Is insurance prepping?

Do preppers buy gold and silver?

Abbey Marie
09-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Do all preppers buy metals? Are all metals bought for security or insurance or prepping? Both? All three? So many important questions. I think we need that Venn Diagram again.

Anyway, what did you decide Perianne?

fj1200
09-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Do all preppers buy metals? Are all metals bought for security or insurance or prepping? Both? All three? So many important questions. I think we need that Venn Diagram again.

Anyway, what did you decide Perianne?

I don't know if preppers buy metals. I don't see much advantage to it when you could stock up on food and water.

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
I don't know if preppers buy metals. I don't see much advantage to it when you could stock up on food and water.
Worst situation food would be of more value but as things return to normal many will be poor as they thought paper was of value instead of precious metals. I'd be in the new middle class (although when paper money or cashless money basically the new currency comes back I am sure gold and silver will be banned).

LongTermGuy
09-02-2015, 02:43 PM

​I have over the years...If you have $1,000 ..think of it as play money (money one can afford to lose)....as you probably know you can buy and sell from your computer at home and no need from a broker...

If one plans to do this ....I would recommend "OPTIONS"....*before you jump in do some reading and learning and practice...PRACTICE......there are sites one can do this...when mentally ready you can open an account with really money....There are people who do this on a small scale daily... and do well at it..."a small percentage"...because they are dedicated and focused....meaning lots of self control involved...meaning you have "set" buy sell points...

The Book that got me started was this: Its 218 pages of info...learn it inside out if your serious.
Amazon around 19 bucks...Good luck to you if you decide to try...

**and I will leave it at that...

*One more Thing...Look up the name "Ken Roberts"....I have learned from him also...
Its very exciting...yet can be stressful for some...There have been times I was making over 3 Thousand a day based on personal small investments.....and times I have lost...Learn from the book and learn how to place stop losses ....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51k3viUkp-L._AA160_.jpgFrom the Back Cover

Learn Options Strategies to help you hedge your investment risks...and increase profits on the trades you make. All About Options is the trading world's clearest no-nonsense explanation of the pros, cons, risks, and rewards of using options. It shows you how to view the market clearly and without bias.Immediately, you'll spot profit opportunities and improve your chances of capturing those opportunities--one step ahead of the crowd. This edition of the options trader's bible is packed with in-depth coverage of the basics of options and options trading, including the latest changes in the marketplace and trading technology. Traders looking to get into the game cut right to the heart of options trading theory and practice with in-depth explanations on: typos of options, and how to use each for hedging risk, taking profit, or a combination of the two; proven strategies to develop a profitable and practical plan of attack; how the personal computer has completely changed the rules--and strategies to take advantage of the changes.
Exchange-traded options can be one of the most efficient uses of capital in the trading arena today--but they can be risky to traders unfamiliar with them! Discover how to use them with skill and precision--and how to dramatically increase your percentage of profitable trade with McCafferty's All About Options."

http://www.lightspeed.com/wp-content/themes/lightspeed/images/computer_img_home.png

http://www.thedigeratilife.com/images/daytradingjapanese5.jpg"Day Trading From Home: The Secret Lives of Stay-At-Home Mommy Speculators"

"Ms. Itoh, a homemaker did not want her full name used because her husband still does not know. After cleaning the dinner dishes, she would spend her evenings buying and selling British pounds and Australian dollars."

:coffee:
http://www.thedigeratilife.com/blog/index.php/2008/06/06/making-money-day-trading-market-timing-female-speculators/

Perianne
09-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Exactly what I was looking for in a response! Thanks.

Perianne
09-02-2015, 03:19 PM
LongTermGuy, I ordered the book. Thanks.

Voted4Reagan
09-02-2015, 04:24 PM

If the market crashes and currency is devalued to the point it is worthless... Gold/Silver and Platinum will still hold value for needed exchange.

Abbey Marie
09-02-2015, 06:01 PM

Packaged food and water don't stay good forever. At some point, you have to find/grow/buy more.

Me, I'm getting a ton of TP. ;)

Perianne
09-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Packaged food and water don't stay good forever. At some point, you have to find/grow/buy more.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/25143019.jpg

fj1200
09-03-2015, 08:55 AM
If one plans to do this ....I would recommend "OPTIONS"....

Options? At least her fun will last longer just buying/selling stocks.

No need, I hear sea shells are the way to go in a post-apocalyptic future. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdnuOa7tDco