PDA

View Full Version : Two more Republican senators join critics of Iraq policy

Pale Rider
07-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Two more Republican senators join critics of Iraq policy

Jul 7 07:06 AM US/Eastern

The tide of Republican defections from President George W. Bush's camp widened Saturday when two more US senators joined the chorus of critics of his Iraq policy, demanding change.
But while expressing sharp disagreement with the strategy of "surging" the number of US troops in Iraq, Senators Lamar Alexander of Tennessee and Judd Gregg of New Hampshire stopped short of backing legislation that would force the White House to begin a drawdown of forces.

"It should be clear to the president that there needs to be a new strategy," said Alexander told The Los Angeles Times. "Our policy in Iraq is drifting."

Gregg, who up to now had belonged to the camp of hardliners on Iraq, said in an interview with the same newspaper that attempts to put down the Iraqi insurgency with higher numbers of US troops "don't seem to be making a lot of progress."

It is vital to have "a clear blueprint for how we were going to draw down," he said.

The new cracks in the Republican front opened just three days after Bush urged Americans to support his policy of maintaining 159,000 US troops in Iraq, arguing that if they were to quit Iraq prematurely Al-Qaeda terrorists would bring the war to US soil.

Withdrawing troops "based on politics, not on the advice and recommendation of our military commanders, would not be in our national interest," the president told members of the West Virginia Air National Guard as they celebrated Independence Day on Wednesday.

The White House has urged Congressional Republicans to maintain a united front on Iraq at least until September, when top US military commanders in Iraq are to present their assessment of the effectiveness of the 30,000-troop surge, which was begun by Bush early this year.

But on Thursday, Senator Pete Domenici of New Mexico jolted the Republican establishment by publicly announcing that his patience had run out and he was "unwilling" to continue lending his support to "our current strategy."

A couple of months ago, just two US Republican senators, Chuck Hagel of Nebraska and Gordon Smith of Oregon, had openly opposed the current Iraq policy.

But the floodgates opened two weeks ago when Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana, a former chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, demanded change in a statement on the Senate floor.

Senator George Voinovich of Ohio echoed Lugar's concerns in a letter to the president, while Senator John Warner of Virginia, a former chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, praised Lugar for speaking out.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070707110621.8uet8etg&show_article=1

Kathianne
07-07-2007, 05:27 PM
What's sick on the part of the republicans, not to mention the democrats which of course is a given, is that the surge by every measure is working.

Pale Rider
07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
What's sick on the part of the republicans, not to mention the democrats which of course is a given, is that the surge by every measure is working.

Maybe working in the sense that it's the American troops that are running the country. "IRAQ" needs to start running the country, and doing their own fighting.

Don't you think so?

See this is why I'm getting tired of it Kath, and probably most other people. We've lost our ability just kick total butt. We've been relegated to a city guerilla war of factions that seems to have no end coupled with a government that can't seem to get their shit together. How long do we have stay over there getting our asses shot off in the streets. I want either an all out battle, or get the hell otta there.

Kathianne
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Maybe working in the sense that it's the American troops that are running the country. "IRAQ" needs to start running the country, and doing their own fighting.

Don't you think so?

Not often that I'll say we disagree, but in this case we own it. My guess, we'll cut and run. It's wrong and we'll pay the price down the road.

Pale Rider
07-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Not often that I'll say we disagree, but in this case we own it. My guess, we'll cut and run. It's wrong and we'll pay the price down the road.

I don't see us paying any higher price than we were BEFORE we went there. If the war follows us here, then we have a good reason to go blow the shit out of whoever was responsible, not mired down in some crap like we are there.

Psychoblues
07-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Shallow thoughts for shallow minds. You two make another pair.

stephanie
07-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Shallow thoughts for shallow minds. You two make another pair.

And the above quote by you, couldn't of been a more shallow post...

You own it...:poke:

Psychoblues
07-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Why, thank you, staphy.

And the above quote by you, couldn't of been a more shallow post...

You own it...:poke:

Did you read the thread or just my post? I suspect you didn't comprehend anything at all as is usual with you.

stephanie
07-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Why, thank you, staphy.

Did you read the thread or just my post? I suspect you didn't comprehend anything at all as is usual with you.

And, as usual.......you didn't comment on the thread, all you did is put the two posters down, who where replying to it...

Typical Lib....

Do as I say.........Not what I do...:laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-09-2007, 01:28 AM
I indicated, as I believe, that the two posters previous to my own had neither adressed the thread other than to pat each other on the back with no understanding whatsoever for the subject at hand.

And, as usual.......you didn't comment on the thread, all you did is put the two posters down, who where replying to it...

Typical Lib....

Do as I say.........Not what I do...:laugh2:

This lib is not typical, staphy. Get that out of your indoctrinated mind.

stephanie
07-09-2007, 01:50 AM
I indicated, as I believe, that the two posters previous to my own had neither addressed the thread other than to pat each other on the back with no understanding whatsoever for the subject at hand.

This lib is not typical, staphy. Get that out of your indoctrinated mind.

Well.......aren't we the lucky one's....To have you tell us...when and where we can Pat each other on the backs.......

Typical Lib.......Telling us....when and how we can do things....:laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-09-2007, 01:57 AM
I haven't told you anything of the sort, staphy, nor have I told anyone else how to masturbate each other or yourselves.

Well.......aren't we the lucky one's....To have you tell us...when and where we can Pat each other on the backs.......

Typical Lib.......Telling us....when and how we can do things....:laugh2:

You all seem to be doing quite well on your own. Thanks for leaving me out of that one, staphy.