PDA

View Full Version : Date numbers

Nonnie
09-02-2015, 05:01 PM
This has bugged me for years. Quantities go up from smallest to the largest.

For example, inch, foot, yard, furlong, mile

Time goes from second, minute, hour, day, week, month, year.

So why are American dates back to front, should it not be DD/MM/YYYY (Day, Month, Year)

Why MM/DD/YYYY?

Perianne
09-02-2015, 05:04 PM

So why are American dates back to front, should it not be DD/MM/YYYY (Day, Month, Year)

Why MM/DD/YYYY?

That is a good question that I had never thought of.

Nonnie, it is good to see you. Thanks for joining. This forum is slower than the one you came from, but give it time. It grows on you. :)

Nonnie
09-02-2015, 05:15 PM
That is a good question that I had never thought of.

Nonnie, it is good to see you. Thanks for joining. This forum is slower than the one you came from, but give it time. It grows on you. :)

Hello Perianne. I've looked about the forum, I imagine the BDF seemed slightly alien to you as this forum is to me. It's trying to understand the terminology and culture difference. Such things as, "Diesel generators in back gardens on plinths"?

We've had some couch surfers over the years from the US before. Two guys from Ohio, one lass from California and an older couple from Texas.

indago
09-02-2015, 05:23 PM

Why MM/DD/YYYY?

All of my spreadsheet formats go YY/MM/DD

For me, it makes for a smoother progression.

Perianne
09-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Hello Perianne. I've looked about the forum, I imagine the BDF seemed slightly alien to you as this forum is to me. It's trying to understand the terminology and culture difference. Such things as, "Diesel generators in back gardens on plinths"?

We've had some couch surfers over the years from the US before. Two guys from Ohio, one lass from California and an older couple from Texas.

Yes, I understand! When I entered your forum I was like "WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?", lol. That was why I started what I thought was a mild thread. Was I ever wrong??? Just to compare, I started the identical thread here: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?51444-Where-Do-You-Go&p=760694#post760694 (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?51444-Where-Do-You-Go&p=760694#post760694)
I got two responses here because we are.... well, Americans. On the other forum it is now 64 pages. It simply shows the difference in our cultures. Truly, I meant nothing negative there by starting that thread. Maybe it worked out in the end, as you and Christie Brinkley are here now!

Anyway, hang in here with us. I am soooo pleased to have you here.

You might want to PM Christie Brinkley.

Drummond was a long-respected member here. He has (hopefully) temporarily left due to.... well, he can explain if he wants.

Abbey Marie
09-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Because when we talk, we say "September 2nd, 2015", not 2nd September, 2015. (Come to think of it, if we went around saying "2nd September", people might think we are describing the second September out of 2, rather than a date.

That's all I've got. :cool:

Perianne
09-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Because when we talk, we say "September 2nd, 2015", not 2nd September, 2015. (Come to think of it, if we went around saying "2nd September", people might think we are describing the second September out of 2, rather than a date.

Things are confusing sometimes.

Oct 31 = Dec 25.

indago
09-02-2015, 06:03 PM

Military would say 2 Sept 2015

Abbey Marie
09-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Military would say 2 Sept 2015

And millions of the rest of us do not.

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 06:21 PM
The american way of writing a date is ridiculous, is there method to the madness? For farming purposes? Because common sense would think day/month/year but you do month/day/year?!

Perianne
09-02-2015, 06:24 PM
The american way of writing a date is ridiculous, is there method to the madness? For farming purposes? Because common sense would think day/month/year but you do month/day/year?!

It is how we do it. I don't know where or why it started that way.

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 06:24 PM
It is how we do it. I don't know where or why it started that way.
It is probably for farming reasons... (I hope;)).

Perianne
09-02-2015, 06:27 PM
It is probably for farming reasons... (I hope;)).

I don't get it. Why would farmers want it that way?

jimnyc
09-02-2015, 06:49 PM
They should make the (DD/MM) order the same worldwide, so as not to confuse the hell out of me. I see 2/3 and think it's Feb 3rd when in some places it's March 2nd.

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 07:08 PM
I don't get it. Why would farmers want it that way?
God knows, but things with time and dates change for farming reasons a lot of the time;)

Abbey Marie
09-02-2015, 10:17 PM

Well, I gave you a reason

Gunny
09-02-2015, 10:24 PM

Try 150902. :)