PDA

View Full Version : Christie Brinkley and Nonnie

Perianne
09-02-2015, 05:56 PM
I know you two are British. And we Americans don't necessarily know a lot about your culture and life.

What does the typical Brit do for a living? I am a Registered Nurse. Is healthcare there a major employer? How about manufacturing? What do the Brits produce that the world imports? What about automobiles? Do you make your own or import the bunch of them.

America is soooo big that we have a little of everything here. I know Britain is much smaller, so maybe you have fewer natural resources.

In the war WWII, Britain was a leader in electronics technology, inventing radar. Is Britain still a leader in technology?

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 06:14 PM
We virtually don't make cars any more which was what my city Coventry was famous for, all moved overseas. The only cars made in the city now are Jaguars (but not on a large scale) and the black cabs.

Coventry was famous for making engines in WW2 that is why it was leveled in some areas by the germans.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7638&stc=1

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 06:16 PM
And yes the NationalHealthService is I think the 5th largest employer in the world providing free healthcare to the UK.

Abbey Marie
09-02-2015, 06:17 PM
But you did make my favorite car :cool: :

http://www.ahexp.com/registry/pictures/70840/1960_Austin_Healey_3000_Green_000.jpg

Perianne
09-02-2015, 06:22 PM
So where do you get your cars? Are they mostly American and Japanese?

Christie Brinkley
09-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Japanese/American/German a mix of them. In the states you seem to only get Japanese and American?

Perianne
09-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Japanese/American/German a mix of them. In the states you seem to only get Japanese and American?

We have access probably to any cars you can get, but yes, it is mostly American and Japanese. It seems to me that many "Japanese" cars are made here, while many "American" cars are made elsewhere. Just outside my town of Lexington, in Georgetown, they make Camry.

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 10:52 AM
I know you two are British. And we Americans don't necessarily know a lot about your culture and life.

What does the typical Brit do for a living? I am a Registered Nurse. Is healthcare there a major employer? How about manufacturing? What do the Brits produce that the world imports? What about automobiles? Do you make your own or import the bunch of them.

America is soooo big that we have a little of everything here. I know Britain is much smaller, so maybe you have fewer natural resources.

In the war WWII, Britain was a leader in electronics technology, inventing radar. Is Britain still a leader in technology?

Like most countries, we suffer from junk from China. Retailers are greedier and greedier and most manufacturers couldn't compete. Folk here tend to go for cheapest as opposed to quality. The first time I went to America in the 80's, I bought a baseball, I wanted a piece of America. Many months went by, I picked it out of the cabinet and turned it around. Printed on the back, "Made in China". I never buy souvenirs anymore on holiday.

The shops that tend to be most abundant and survive are take-aways, hair saloons and opticians.

Ford, BMW, VW, Nissan, Vauxhall, Skoda, Toyota tend to be the popular car manufacturers. Daewoo went bust and I believe they're now Chrysler.
Very few cars are now made here, I believe there's a Nissan plant in Sunderland.

We're turning into a nation of 'users' as opposed to 'designers'. So people are trained to use software, apps etc.. as opposed to designing/writing the programs. Or learn how to use hardware instead of designing and building hardware. There's still pockets of designers and innovators around, but nowhere near to what there use to be. James Dyson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dyson) did well. He went bankrupt a few times before succeeding.

England use to be renowned for engineering, now it's media and arts.

Voted4Reagan
09-03-2015, 11:00 AM
And yes the NationalHealthService is I think the 5th largest employer in the world providing free healthcare to the UK.

You mean TAXPAYER FUNDED healthcare right?

Nothing is free...

Gunny
09-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Like most countries, we suffer from junk from China. Retailers are greedier and greedier and most manufacturers couldn't compete. Folk here tend to go for cheapest as opposed to quality. The first time I went to America in the 80's, I bought a baseball, I wanted a piece of America. Many months went by, I picked it out of the cabinet and turned it around. Printed on the back, "Made in China". I never buy souvenirs anymore on holiday.

The shops that tend to be most abundant and survive are take-aways, hair saloons and opticians.

Ford, BMW, VW, Nissan, Vauxhall, Skoda, Toyota tend to be the popular car manufacturers. Daewoo went bust and I believe they're now Chrysler.
Very few cars are now made here, I believe there's a Nissan plant in Sunderland.

We're turning into a nation of 'users' as opposed to 'designers'. So people are trained to use software, apps etc.. as opposed to designing/writing the programs. Or learn how to use hardware instead of designing and building hardware. There's still pockets of designers and innovators around, but nowhere near to what there use to be. James Dyson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dyson) did well. He went bankrupt a few times before succeeding.

England use to be renowned for engineering, now it's media and arts.

SO riddle me this, riddle me that .... what does "Nonnie" mean?

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 11:11 AM

When my kid was little he couldn't say his name, it came out as Nonull. So we used to call him Nonnie. He's best part of 20 now but still responds to Nonnie.

Perianne
09-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Nonnie your business?

hahahahha, Perianne made a funny, lol. I am funny long time.

jimnyc
09-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Nonnie your business?

Perianne el loco!

Perianne
09-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Perianne el loco!

la loca?

jimnyc
09-03-2015, 11:20 AM
la loca?

I dunno, do I look like someone who speaks Spanish? :laugh2:

Gunny
09-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Nonnie your business?

Pffft. You're fired.:laugh:

I asked because we always called my grandmother Nanny.

jimnyc
09-03-2015, 11:30 AM

My son calls the wifey's mother Nonny. Clueless as to where it comes from.

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 11:52 AM

Is Gunny American for a small gun?

Perianne
09-03-2015, 11:56 AM

lol

hahahahaha

Gunny
09-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Something like that. Ain't a whole lot small about me. You can go look at my pic with my little baby princess on her 2nd birthday if you want. My little angel. :)

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Something like that. Ain't a whole lot small about me. You can go look at my pic with my little baby princess on her 2nd birthday if you want. My little angel. :)

Spot on, having kids is brill. They say the daftest things and they have this art of making you feel guilty when you've told them off.

Voted4Reagan
09-03-2015, 12:04 PM
British Engineering... 1970's style.

http://extremetrifle.com/3/images/r2r103_000.jpg

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 12:06 PM
British Engineering... 1970's style.

http://extremetrifle.com/3/images/r2r103_000.jpg

You could drive those on the road with a motorbike license, you didn't need a car license.

Voted4Reagan
09-03-2015, 12:15 PM
You could drive those on the road with a motorbike license, you didn't need a car license.

and you saved on your tax certificate too!!

Voted4Reagan
09-03-2015, 12:17 PM
We also have.....

The DUKES of DORSET...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/everystockphoto/fspid30/86/44/12/9/dorset-england-8644129-l.jpg

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 12:24 PM
If you ran and slid over the bonnet (hood!!) like in the Dukes of Hazard, it would tip over !!

Perianne
09-03-2015, 12:28 PM
If you ran and slid over the bonnet (hood!!) like in the Dukes of Hazard, it would tip over !!

This is very similar to one of my first cars. Plenty of hood to slide over if one so desired.

http://www.adpost.com/classifieds/upload/us/vehicles/us_vehicles.1035691.1.jpg

Voted4Reagan
09-03-2015, 12:29 PM
The classic Cartoon: The THUNDERBIRDS...OF ENGLAND!!

http://mm.aiircdn.com/55/744201.jpg

Perianne
09-03-2015, 12:30 PM
The classic Cartoon: The THUNDERBIRDS...OF ENGLAND!!

http://mm.aiircdn.com/55/744201.jpg

That's kinda cool.

Voted4Reagan
09-03-2015, 12:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/02/44/3024475_da40468c.jpg

Perianne
09-03-2015, 12:43 PM
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/02/44/3024475_da40468c.jpg

For some reason, that looks vulgar.

KitchenKitten99
09-04-2015, 10:04 AM

Depends on the area of the country you are in and even down to the city.

I am in MN, and if you head to DT Minneapolis, you will see lots of foreign cars of all price ranges. Audi, BMW, a couple of Bentleys (by the execs of Ameriprise and Wells Fargo who are based here, as well as big investment firms and law firms), you'll see LOTS of Cadillacs, a few Maserati, Mercedes are pretty popular too.

Go a couple miles north and west, you will have crunchy-town, aka hipster city so hybrids or full electric, super small clown cars etc. Mostly Toyota and Honda.

St. Paul is like Minneapolis but you'll see more Ford/Lincoln and Chrysler high end cars there.

Suburbs depends on which one. North suburbs will generally go more American the farther north you go. I sold cars/trucks for a while at a dealership near my home and 70% of our new vehicle sales were half-ton and 3/4 ton trucks, probably 50/50 Ford and Ram (dealer sold both brands). Partly because the location is on the intersection of 2 major freeways and kind of the 'gateways' to farming communities.

West/Southwest will generally own luxury imports, mostly light duty SUVs. Probably because most of the luxury car dealers are in that same area and France Ave (aka by the rest of us as "Maggot Mile") in Edina is loaded with plastic surgeons, overpriced furniture stores ($10k for a bed frame type overpriced), and other nutty things that people with money find to spend it on.

South suburbs will be more Mitsubishi/Toyota/Hyundai/Subaru.

I am in a North/West suburb that is actually kind of an anomaly. Very much undeveloped farming/equestrian city that is surrounded by heavily-developed cities. I have 3 Super Targets within 7 miles of my home if that says anything. Everyone has either a truck or SUV, and almost none are foreign. Most of us have Chevy, Ford, or Ram trucks of varying sizes (1500/2500/3500) probably an even distribution of those 3 depending on the workload needs of the owner. Well, one weirdo farmer near me has a Toyota Tundra but he doesn't actually do anything significant with it. Mostly sits in the driveway.

Then go down to Miami, FL...specifically South Beach... Italian sports cars are the norm down there. I have been there 3 times now and it is normal to see a few Lamborghinis, Maseratis, and a Ferraris all parked in the same area along Ocean drive.

San Francisco and Seattle are VW and Prius havens. New York...most don't own cars so you see cabs which are likely Chevy Impalas or Ford Taurus now. Jim would have to confirm that for me though so I can't be confident about that statement.

Texas you will see lots of Ford (partly due to the King Ranch's deal with them), GM/Chevy are probably 2nd runners although my dad says he sees more Ram trucks now than ever before.

Gunny
09-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Depends on the area of the country you are in and even down to the city.

I am in MN, and if you head to DT Minneapolis, you will see lots of foreign cars of all price ranges. Audi, BMW, a couple of Bentleys (by the execs of Ameriprise and Wells Fargo who are based here, as well as big investment firms and law firms), you'll see LOTS of Cadillacs, a few Maserati, Mercedes are pretty popular too.

Go a couple miles north and west, you will have crunchy-town, aka hipster city so hybrids or full electric, super small clown cars etc. Mostly Toyota and Honda.

St. Paul is like Minneapolis but you'll see more Ford/Lincoln and Chrysler high end cars there.

Suburbs depends on which one. North suburbs will generally go more American the farther north you go. I sold cars/trucks for a while at a dealership near my home and 70% of our new vehicle sales were half-ton and 3/4 ton trucks, probably 50/50 Ford and Ram (dealer sold both brands). Partly because the location is on the intersection of 2 major freeways and kind of the 'gateways' to farming communities.

West/Southwest will generally own luxury imports, mostly light duty SUVs. Probably because most of the luxury car dealers are in that same area and France Ave (aka by the rest of us as "Maggot Mile") in Edina is loaded with plastic surgeons, overpriced furniture stores ($10k for a bed frame type overpriced), and other nutty things that people with money find to spend it on.

South suburbs will be more Mitsubishi/Toyota/Hyundai/Subaru.

I am in a North/West suburb that is actually kind of an anomaly. Very much undeveloped farming/equestrian city that is surrounded by heavily-developed cities. I have 3 Super Targets within 7 miles of my home if that says anything. Everyone has either a truck or SUV, and almost none are foreign. Most of us have Chevy, Ford, or Ram trucks of varying sizes (1500/2500/3500) probably an even distribution of those 3 depending on the workload needs of the owner. Well, one weirdo farmer near me has a Toyota Tundra but he doesn't actually do anything significant with it. Mostly sits in the driveway.

Then go down to Miami, FL...specifically South Beach... Italian sports cars are the norm down there. I have been there 3 times now and it is normal to see a few Lamborghinis, Maseratis, and a Ferraris all parked in the same area along Ocean drive.

San Francisco and Seattle are VW and Prius havens. New York...most don't own cars so you see cabs which are likely Chevy Impalas or Ford Taurus now. Jim would have to confirm that for me though so I can't be confident about that statement.

Texas you will see lots of Ford (partly due to the King Ranch's deal with them), GM/Chevy are probably 2nd runners although my dad says he sees more Ram trucks now than ever before.

Actually you see more Chevy's/GM's in Texas. You are correct in the King's Ranch deal. You might see more Fords in Southeastern Texas.

I can't even imagine trying to drive my truck in Europe. :laugh:

Jeff
09-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Absolutely :laugh::laugh:

Gunny is American for teenie weenie little member, ooppps I mean gun. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gunny
09-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Absolutely :laugh::laugh:

Gunny is American for teenie weenie little member, ooppps I mean gun. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Teenie weenie? :laugh:

That hurt my stomach.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

NightTrain
09-04-2015, 10:22 AM
I didn't know that BMW makes the Cooper Mini... there's a bunch of them here in AK and they have a hardcore fan base.

I would think that they're popular in Europe because they're so small.

Also, about the "Nonnie" discussion - isn't it funny how kids will come up with some variation of titles they can't pronounce? My kids call my mom 'Nana' and her husband is Papa... and my middle brother dubbed my youngest brother 'Boppy' when they were very young because he couldn't pronounce Brother. My young nephews and nieces call me Uncle Wick because for some reason half the people in my family can't pronounce an R when under the age of 6.

And, no... Gunny doesn't refer to his love of little guns! :laugh: It is slang for his rank in the US Marines, he was a Gunnery Sergeant.

Abbey Marie
09-04-2015, 10:27 AM
I didn't know that BMW makes the Cooper Mini... there's a bunch of them here in AK and they have a hardcore fan base.

Also, about the "Nonnie" discussion - isn't it funny how kids will come up with some variation of titles they can't pronounce? My kids call my mom 'Nana' and her husband is Papa... and my middle brother dubbed my youngest brother 'Boppy' when they were very young because he couldn't pronounce Brother. My young nephews and nieces call me Uncle Wick because for some reason half the people in my family can't pronounce an R when under the age of 6.

And, no... Gunny doesn't refer to his love of little guns! :laugh: It is slang for his rank in the US Marines, he was a Gunnery Sergeant.

I'm so surprised by that. Don't people want a truck, or at least a bigger car, with all that snow up there?

NightTrain
09-04-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm so surprised by that. Don't people want a truck, or at least a bigger car, with all that snow up there?

Astute observation! Yeah, that car would be helpless during the winter months when there's snow... they have hardly any ground clearance.

Most people have their fun sporty cars only driven during the summer. Corvettes, a few Ferraris, Jaguars, a few Aston Martins, couple of DeLoreans, lots of Mustangs, Lexus... I haven't seen a legit Lamborghini yet, but there's a couple of kit cars that run around.

I had a Pontiac Fiero back in the day, but that was actually quite decent in the snow & ice because it was a rear engine design, so the rear wheels had a lot of traction. Still, very impractical and nothing like a FWD or 4x4. But I didn't buy it because of that, it was a chick magnet! lol

Nonnie
09-04-2015, 10:47 AM

Ok, makes sense now. Never heard of Gunnery Sergeant.

KitchenKitten99
09-05-2015, 09:19 AM
I can't even imagine trying to drive my truck in Europe. :laugh:

I have been driving our Impala more than my truck lately and I feel odd. I love that car, it's fun to drive since it is an SS with a V-8, and I actually bought it for us when we were living in our rental house 4 years ago. But my truck... I just love driving it more. The only reason I don't as much is hubby works from home and the car is cheaper on gas. Driving the car, I only fill my truck up once a month rather than once a week. Plus it saves me miles on the truck since I lease it.

I pick Priuses out of the grill of my Ram.... :laugh: