PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle

Perianne
09-02-2015, 06:48 PM
I finally broke down and bought a quality bicycle.

Last year this time I was running a few miles per week, lifting weights, and doing a ridiculous amount of situps. I got down to about 115 pounds. I am a nurse and nurses are much stronger than they look. We lift and turn patients three times our size. So, that 115 pounds included a lot of muscle.

My husband sorta preferred that I have a more "womanly" physique, that is, more fat and less muscle. So, for him, I quit the workouts. I gained some weight... for him.... and then he moved out.

When Spring came, I went out and tried to start running again, but it hurt my 57 year old knees. So, I have been NOT exercising this summer. I miss it.

My daughter has gotten into bicycling. She bought her first quality road bike today, about $750 for a beginner-grade road bike. I also bought me a bike, though nothing that expensive. Mine was about $450, a Trek.

Anyway, I plan to get back into shape before I get too old. :)

jimnyc
09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Good for you, now force yourself to use it consistently!! I HAD to have a Mongoose bicycle a few years back, and now it sits, and sits, and sits. I actually have used it on occasion but probably not enough to explain the cost. :)

Do you like riding a bike more, or running or jogging? I found myself liking the bike more, as running and similar seems to hurt my knees more and more.

Perianne
09-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Good for you, now force yourself to use it consistently!! I HAD to have a Mongoose bicycle a few years back, and now it sits, and sits, and sits. I actually have used it on occasion but probably not enough to explain the cost. :)

Do you like riding a bike more, or running or jogging? I found myself liking the bike more, as running and similar seems to hurt my knees more and more.

Actually, I think I enjoyed lifting weights more than anything. I have always liked running, but like you, I think my knees are past that now. I do like riding a bike, especially since I can do it with my daughter. I so adore her.

Gunny
09-03-2015, 04:09 AM

Last year this time I was running a few miles per week, lifting weights, and doing a ridiculous amount of situps. I got down to about 115 pounds. I am a nurse and nurses are much stronger than they look. We lift and turn patients three times our size. So, that 115 pounds included a lot of muscle.

My husband sorta preferred that I have a more "womanly" physique, that is, more fat and less muscle. So, for him, I quit the workouts. I gained some weight... for him.... and then he moved out.

When Spring came, I went out and tried to start running again, but it hurt my 57 year old knees. So, I have been NOT exercising this summer. I miss it.

My daughter has gotten into bicycling. She bought her first quality road bike today, about $750 for a beginner-grade road bike. I also bought me a bike, though nothing that expensive. Mine was about $450, a Trek.

I used to 3-5 miles a day. If I could get to the end of the block now, I'd be proud. :) I can hardly feel my legs from the knees down.

Get a trainer. They sell them in most sporting good stores. You can prop your bike in front of the tube and ride.

Jeff
09-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Buy a Harley, heck you don't wind up all sweaty and what not at the end of the ride. :laugh:

jimnyc
09-03-2015, 07:30 AM
I used to 3-5 miles a day. If I could get to the end of the block now, I'd be proud. :) I can hardly feel my legs from the knees down.

Get a trainer. They sell them in most sporting good stores. You can prop your bike in front of the tube and ride.

That's the best way. I found out at the gym that it was much easier to do the bike if I was watching the tube at the same time. I used to watch ESPN and all of the highlights and get in a nice ride.

Kathianne
09-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Actually, I think I enjoyed lifting weights more than anything. I have always liked running, but like you, I think my knees are past that now. I do like riding a bike, especially since I can do it with my daughter. I so adore her.

you might want to check out Mark Rippetoe's books at library, if you like weights.

Perianne
09-14-2015, 11:27 AM
I got my bike today (they had to order one for my size). Anyway, I just now went out for my first ride on it. I can tell my legs are out of shape.

DLT
09-14-2015, 11:34 AM

Yeah, I've got a nice bike too, but not sure it's all that safe to ride it in this neighborhood...and don't have the proper vehicle OR equipment to drive it to a park. And even if I did, how safe would that park be? Now...I don't want to sound paranoid here, but these days....you kinda have to be....even IF you're packin (which I always am).

No, it's much more prudent to just hang out at home and yeah....that's not good for your shape or your stamina. I just put on a workout video and/or some hiphop music and dance. It's fun AND good for ya.

Gunny
09-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I've got a nice bike too, but not sure it's all that safe to ride it in this neighborhood...and don't have the proper vehicle OR equipment to drive it to a park. And even if I did, how safe would that park be? Now...I don't want to sound paranoid here, but these days....you kinda have to be....even IF you're packin (which I always am).

No, it's much more prudent to just hang out at home and yeah....that's not good for your shape or your stamina. I just put on a workout video and/or some hiphop music and dance. It's fun AND good for ya.

Guess I need to be a girl for that kind of paranoia. :laugh: I've been bitten (on the ankle by a little ankle biter no less) and charged by a pit bull who thought better of screwing with me in the end. You don't run in San Antonio without the threat of dogs. Not too worried about people. If you can't tell by the running shorts and tank top I'm probably not carrying my wallet, you need your head unscrewed from your butt.

What I found from running on a treadmill (it's that or get up at 4 AM and run around the deck 30 times) that I couldn't ever run right on the street again. You don't take the pounding and your legs get used to not doing it. Lot of factors to it, but I could get on the treadmill and watch the tube. When I was younger, I'd jump rope for 30 minutes watching the tube. Until recently, I would put my bicycle on a trainer and pop in a dvd.

Now, I just try to get up. :laugh:

Motown
09-26-2015, 11:31 AM

How do you feel about swimming? I'm like you, I used to run and ride but I had to back off of both of those a little bit because of some old injuries. I started swimming 3 or 4 times every week and the results have been great. It's a really good substitute if you're starting to feel the old injuries flaring up.

Gunny
09-28-2015, 05:21 AM
How do you feel about swimming? I'm like you, I used to run and ride but I had to back off of both of those a little bit because of some old injuries. I started swimming 3 or 4 times every week and the results have been great. It's a really good substitute if you're starting to feel the old injuries flaring up.

Love it. Wish I had a place to. I grew up in the water and am water survival qualified. My idea of Heaven is a Florida beach. Don't seem to be one of those around here. :laugh: