PDA

View Full Version : British Words and Misspellings

Perianne
09-03-2015, 11:31 AM
All in fun....

The British people spell and say things funny... that is.. odd.

Telly. Now what is the world is a telly? I am gonna go watch telly. lol

Lift. Why would you call an elevator a "lift"?

And the funky spellings. Why add "u" unnecessarily to words? Colour, for example. Why change the "z" to "s", as in recognize? If I type "recognise" or "colour", spellchecker automatically highlights it. Don't the British people have spellchecker? And what if you colorize something? Is it actually colourise in England?

And what is it with "cheque" instead of check? Can you imagine some constructions workers saying "Let's cheque out the women as they walk by"?

I wonder how they would spell "Perianne" in England?

:)

Bilgerat
09-03-2015, 11:43 AM

I'm gonna go with

M'Lady

:salute:

tailfins
09-03-2015, 11:49 AM
One way to spot outsourced computer code is variable names and comments with continental spelling. India uses British style language.

Gunny
09-03-2015, 11:52 AM
All in fun....

The British people spell and say things funny... that is.. odd.

Telly. Now what is the world is a telly? I am gonna go watch telly. lol

Lift. Why would you call an elevator a "lift"?

And the funky spellings. Why add "u" unnecessarily to words? Colour, for example. Why change the "z" to "s", as in recognize? If I type "recognise" or "colour", spellchecker automatically highlights it. Don't the British people have spellchecker? And what if you colorize something? Is it actually colourise in England?

And what is it with "cheque" instead of? Can you imagine some constructions workers saying "Let's cheque out the women as they walk by"?

You really didn't set your self up for that, right? I'll pass. :)

Brits speak English. We don't. Simple as that.

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Not only you spell words and pronounce them wrong, you also do it on the wrong side of the road!! You had to go one better!!

When we were kids and travelled up North to see relatives, we used to hoy clemmy's with the other kids.

Do you hoy clemmy's?

Gunny
09-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Not only you spell words and pronounce them wrong, you also do it on the wrong side of the road!! You had to go one better!!

When we were kids and travelled up North to see relatives, we used to hoy clemmy's with the other kids.

Do you hoy clemmy's?

Ice cream?

gabosaurus
09-03-2015, 12:08 PM
This is one I actually know. Clemmys are rocks or stones. Like "I'd like ta hoy a clemmy at that ugly mug."

I remember reading in history about how Americans decided to change the spellings of different words as a way to asserting their independence from England.
Worst of all was adapting a different system of measurements and temperature. We screwed that up big time.

Gunny
09-03-2015, 12:10 PM
This is one I actually know. Clemmys are rocks or stones. Like "I'd like ta hoy a clemmy at that ugly mug."

I remember reading in history about how Americans decided to change the spellings of different words as a way to asserting their independence from England.
Worst of all was adapting a different system of measurements and temperature. We screwed that up big time.

Try again. We used British measurements. We just never adapted to the metric system.

Perianne
09-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Try again. We used British measurements. We just never adapted to the metric system.

We use almost 100% metric in the medical field.

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 12:18 PM

Spot on, throw a stone.

Now I'm off yam.

Gunny
09-03-2015, 12:21 PM
We use almost 100% metric in the medical field.

They like to swap back and forth in the electrical field. Everything we us is English measurements; while, the plumbers use metric. You have to size our pipe one way, and the plumbers' the other.

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Imperial makes more sense in that how the measures and quantities relate to your environment.

You ask for a pint off beer because a pint was considered a comfortable amount to drink. We retained the pint measure here because of beer. It would sound daft going up to the bar and asking, " 568ml of beer please".

Erm, is the American pint the same as a uk pint?

Perianne
09-03-2015, 12:23 PM
They like to swap back and forth in the electrical field. Everything we us is English measurements; while, the plumbers use metric. You have to size our pipe one way, and the plumbers' the other.

Can you give me an example about metric plumbing? Don't they use 1/2" pipe and fittings and the like?

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Two common metric sizes are 15mm and 25mm. The imperial was 1/2" and 3/4inch.

15mm and 1/2" are compatible, but when joining 22mm onto 3/4", you need a different olive for compression and for soldering, a 22mm to 3/4" straight connector.

jimnyc
09-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Funny Brits screwing up OUR language! :laugh: :poke:

Gunny
09-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Imperial makes more sense in that how the measures and quantities relate to your environment.

You ask for a pint off beer because a pint was considered a comfortable amount to drink. We retained the pint measure here because of beer. It would sound daft going up to the bar and asking, " 568ml of beer please".

Erm, is the American pint the same as a uk pint?

:) So this is all about beer? I thought it was ale.

I think the pints were the same. England's gone Euro .. so I don't know.

Gunny
09-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Funny Brits screwing up OUR language! :laugh: :poke:

You goof. The angles invented this crap. :laugh:

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 01:31 PM
:) So this is all about beer? I thought it was ale.

I think the pints were the same. England's gone Euro .. so I don't know.

Nah, we've still got the pound, we don't want the Euro.

jimnyc
09-03-2015, 01:37 PM
You goof. The angles invented this crap. :laugh:

??

http://i.imgur.com/WPjV3NT.jpg

Nonnie
09-03-2015, 01:41 PM
So if you want to check on something, you would check it out. If you wanted to write a cheque to pay a bill, you write a cheque.

If you wanted to make sure the cheque was filled out correctly, you would check the cheque. So in the USA you would check the check.

The subject was subject to the subject.