PDA

View Full Version : Trump signs loyalty pledge to Republicans

jimnyc
09-03-2015, 01:30 PM
This should hopefully be a relief for many on the GOP side, afraid that perhaps he may have turned independent.

------

Donald Trump said Thursday he has signed a pledge promising to back the Republican presidential nominee if it is not him, an action that presumably rules out a potential third-party bid.

"I see no circumstances under which I would violate that pledge," Trump said during a news conference in the lobby of his corporate tower in New York City.

The front-running billionaire made the non-binding declaration after meeting Thursday with Republican Party chairman Reince Priebus, who has urged all the party's presidential candidates to sign a formal loyalty pledge.

Former Trump adviser Roger Stone told C-SPAN that he expected the New York billionaire to sign the pledge. Trump has "given up nothing and he's a strong front-runner for the Republican nomination," Stone said.

Trump's son, Eric, tweeted out a photo of his father holding a copy of the signed pledge.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/09/03/trump-priebus-republican-party-loyalty-oath/71635426/

Abbey Marie
09-03-2015, 04:09 PM
This should hopefully be a relief for many on the GOP side, afraid that perhaps he may have turned independent.

------

Donald Trump said Thursday he has signed a pledge promising to back the Republican presidential nominee if it is not him, an action that presumably rules out a potential third-party bid.

"I see no circumstances under which I would violate that pledge," Trump said during a news conference in the lobby of his corporate tower in New York City.

The front-running billionaire made the non-binding declaration after meeting Thursday with Republican Party chairman Reince Priebus, who has urged all the party's presidential candidates to sign a formal loyalty pledge.

Former Trump adviser Roger Stone told C-SPAN that he expected the New York billionaire to sign the pledge. Trump has "given up nothing and he's a strong front-runner for the Republican nomination," Stone said.

Trump's son, Eric, tweeted out a photo of his father holding a copy of the signed pledge.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/09/03/trump-priebus-republican-party-loyalty-oath/71635426/

While I am somewhat comforted by this, the bolded does leave him an opening to ignore the pledge if he "sees" something new in the future.

Black Diamond
09-03-2015, 04:11 PM
What's your definition of "pledge"?

Black Diamond
09-03-2015, 04:14 PM
While I am somewhat comforted by this, the bolded does leave him an opening to ignore the pledge if he "sees" something new in the future.

something new = losing the nomination??

Abbey Marie
09-03-2015, 04:15 PM
something new = losing the nomination??

Exactly :laugh2:

gabosaurus
09-03-2015, 04:48 PM
You can be relieved if you actually trust the word of Donald Trump.

jimnyc
09-03-2015, 04:53 PM
I think ya kinda trust the guy a little, or it wouldn't have mattered what he did anyway. I think we may have all briefly discussed his wiggle room in the past? IMO, if the GOP were to stick it to Trump via way of being unfair, then the door is open. For example - IMO, I wouldn't blame Fiorina if she did so, as she's getting screwed. And on the Dem side similarly.

I think what matters here is that he signed this pledge. I don't think he intends on breaking that pledge. I think he's letting the GOP know, indirectly, that he's playing ball and all in as a team, but if they screw him, he always has the door slightly open. And you know what? I think ALL candidates should think similarly. They would be blind little sheep if they just fell into line and did what was told of them.

LongTermGuy
09-03-2015, 06:33 PM
He is showing he has been serious and ready to take care of business....*They better treat him fairly and keep their word....:cool:

Alright Jimmy....The Steelers Panthers game is about to start....are you ready....? Should be fun!:coffee:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-03-2015, 10:52 PM

------

Great. To me that means he is now in it to win it!!
If he ends up with either Carly, Carson or Cruz as his running mate --he wins IMHO!!!
And the stinking libs will then go ballistic!!! --:beer:-Tyr

NightTrain
09-04-2015, 10:54 AM

I don't think so.

He's not a man that will break his word and if he did, he'd lose all credibility in 90% of his support base. There is no going back on that pledge with any chance of winning.

He gave his word and he'll stand by it, win or lose.

Abbey Marie
09-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I don't think so.

He's not a man that will break his word and if he did, he'd lose all credibility in 90% of his support base. There is no going back on that pledge with any chance of winning.

He gave his word and he'll stand by it, win or lose.

I really hope you're right, NT.

Kathianne
09-04-2015, 11:36 AM
I really hope you're right, NT.

Who would doubt it? Well perhaps Mrs. Trump or Mrs. Trump or Mrs. Trump, but other than that?

jimnyc
09-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Again, you either trust the mans word or you don't. If you don't, you likely weren't going to vote for him anyway, and no matter what he said about this pledge would have made a difference. But for his ever growing support, this was another positive into his campaign. Some wanted to "force" him to sign a pledge, but he did it on his own terms.

DLT
09-04-2015, 12:08 PM

------

Yeah, it will help to dispel any fears that his intentions were (all along) to become insulted and then run as a 3rd party candidate. Rush just said yesterday that Trump wants to win which is why he signed the pledge. He knows a 3rd party run wouldn't win. I still don't trust Trump 100%...but it's a start in the right direction.

NightTrain
09-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Who would doubt it? Well perhaps Mrs. Trump or Mrs. Trump or Mrs. Trump, but other than that?

Well.... I guess I'm in the same boat as he is, then. I'm divorced.

Black Diamond
09-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Well.... I guess I'm in the same boat as he is, then. I'm divorced.

So was Reagan.