PDA

View Full Version : Smarter

Perianne
09-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Are you smarter than most people on here?

Black Diamond
09-03-2015, 02:02 PM
I am smarter than everyone everywhere.

Perianne
09-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Interest article about this.

You may think you’re smart, but you’re dumb. I’m simplifying ('cause you’re dumb), but that is the cheering overall conclusion of a new survey by the research organization YouGov. The online questionnaire of 991 Americans finds that 55 percent believe they are smarter than the average person. (Or, as writer Peter Moore sardonically phrases it, “the average American thinks they are smarter than the average American.”) Meanwhile, “a third of the country (34%) say that they are about as smart as the average person, while only four percent say that they are less intelligent than average Americans.” As a country, it’s strange that we are so intelligent yet not astute enough to see when we’re inflating our own brainpower.

Break down the data further, and additional patterns emerge. As the National Journal points out, men are likelier than women to consider themselves “much more intelligent” than Joe or Jane American.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/05/14/americans_think_they_re_smarter_than_the_average_a merican_rich_white_guys.html

Abbey Marie
09-03-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm too smart to answer that.

gabosaurus
09-03-2015, 04:47 PM
DP regulars already know that my answer is the affirmative. :cool:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-03-2015, 06:30 PM
I am just smart enough to be dangerous and too smart to say that too damn often....;)
However, truth, reality and courage demands that I say it at least once a year. :laugh:-Tyr

red state
09-03-2015, 07:12 PM
One could measure "smarts" in success. I'll expand upon this. If you are self made and successful.....I feel you are smart. If you have established a healthy, happy home and are not the richest guy on the block, who works his/her behind off but is not foolishly in debt to the eyeballs.....I believe you are smart.

Country folk are often times considered dumb but my grandfather was one of the smartest guys I know and he had to support the family and completed only the 3rd grade. He was a farmer, a Sgt. in WWII (at one time the only leader out in the bush to lead the men) and had his own logging business at one time.

To clarify this, I'd like to re-introduce a joke by the GREAT Jerry Clower that is related to the "Country folk are stupid" crap.

http://redge1945.wix.com/copy-of-gospel#!about3/cd04

That Uncle Ledbetter most certainly outsmarted the banker.....and you don't get any more country than Uncle V, Jerry Clower or my grandfather (RIP)!!!! My grandfather taught me how to make THE BEST wine, bows, turkey calls and unlimited amounts of MANHOOD know-how that built and preserved this GREAT NATION.

Do I consider myself smart or intelligent.....you bet (much more so than those who voted for B.O. ~ TWICE).

red state
09-03-2015, 07:19 PM
I am just smart enough to be dangerous and too smart to say that too damn often....;)
However, truth, reality and courage demands that I say it at least once a year. :laugh:-Tyr

Yeah, the same could be said of liberalism.....except for the 'too smart to say it too often'. They shout their stupidity from the mountain tops while believing that the rest of the world think they are smart simply because they say they are.

This Nation needs more folks who stand up and call stupidity and hate for what it is among the LEFT. I saw this on my wife's FB yesterday and meant to post it. I don't know if it actually happened but the principle of the story greatly moved me in seeing that GOD made Himself known when that ONE student STOOD UP. I hope ya'll enjoy it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJKF6Jpd1wM

Bully piece of $#!T....THEY all need more good Americans to STAND!!!

Perianne
09-03-2015, 09:18 PM

By its very nature, half of the people on this forum are less intelligent than the other half. It's an uncomfortable thing to talk about.

I have noticed in life that those with limited intelligence are not smart enough to realize they are indeed of limited intelligence. As per the link, only about 4% of the population recognizes their own intellilectual deficits.

Anyway, I find this discussion interesting. FWIW, I find everyone on here to be intelligent. It's something that is difficult to repeatedly fake.

Rat
09-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Never liked comparing intelligence to others. Can no be done. Every person have areas they smart at. Specialty knowledge others don't know. Stephen Hawking way smarter than me about space knowledge. But my bushcraft knowledge superior to his. Does that mean he smarter than me or I smarter than him? We all have things we knowledgable in.

Gunny
09-03-2015, 11:10 PM
By its very nature, half of the people on this forum are less intelligent than the other half. It's an uncomfortable thing to talk about.

I have noticed in life that those with limited intelligence are not smart enough to realize they are indeed of limited intelligence. As per the link, only about 4% of the population recognizes their own intellilectual deficits.

Anyway, I find this discussion interesting. FWIW, I find everyone on here to be intelligent. It's something that is difficult to repeatedly fake.

I disagree. The fact that every member on this board is ON this board and willing to discuss issues makes us more intelligent than those that drone up to the line and vote "D" or "R"'.

Which half of this board would you be referring to? The half that disagrees with you? I can name you a positive quality about everyone here. Jim could put your computer back together and Jeff could build you a bike. Abbey's so sweet and Christianic it's like too much fudge. I could wire your house up so you'd glow in the dark and Tyr thinks he's Lord Byron.

And it is the nature of our society to refuse to be wrong. You're not allowed to be wrong so why would anyone admit it? The sheeple are so busy being PC they forgot who they are.

Perianne
09-03-2015, 11:22 PM
I disagree. The fact that every member on this board is ON this board and willing to discuss issues makes us more intelligent than those that drone up to the line and vote "D" or "R"'.

Which half of this board would you be referring to? The half that disagrees with you? I can name you a positive quality about everyone here. Jim could put your computer back together and Jeff could build you a bike. Abbey's so sweet and Christianic it's like too much fudge. I could wire your house up so you'd glow in the dark and Tyr thinks he's Lord Byron.

And it is the nature of our society to refuse to be wrong. You're not allowed to be wrong so why would anyone admit it? The sheeple are so busy being PC they forgot who they are.

Did I say that or even imply that???

Gunny
09-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Did I say that or even imply that???

Yeah, you kinda did. :laugh:

Being smart requires a sense of humour, btw. :)

I'm still trying to figure out your Brit Spell-check question.:laugh:

Perianne
09-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Yeah, you kinda did. :laugh:

Being smart requires a sense of humour, btw. :)

I'm still trying to figure out your Brit Spell-check question.:laugh:

If you say so.

See ya'll later.

Gunny
09-03-2015, 11:45 PM
If you say so.

See ya'll later.

The fact is, you said half this board isn't smarter than the other half. Correct me where I'm wrong. To add to it, you get mad and leave when I'm just having a conversation.

I've known most everyone here for 14 years. I don't agree with all of them all the time, but I never think they aren't as smart as me. Why you want to get mad at me when you started apologizing in sentence 2 is beyond me.

Why make a one sentence statement and spend the rest of the post apologizing for making it?

Abbey Marie
09-04-2015, 12:12 AM

What the %^#* are you on about now, Gunny?
I'm a nasty ol' foul-mouthed *^%#ing heathen and you know it.
:laugh2:

But here goes anyway:

http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/wp-content/uploads/images/Ann-Thornton-Fudge.jpg

Gunny
09-04-2015, 12:20 AM

But here goes anyway:

http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/wp-content/uploads/images/Ann-Thornton-Fudge.jpg

OMG. YOU cussed? What's the world coming too ....:laugh:

Black Diamond
09-04-2015, 06:10 AM

But here goes anyway:

Hell hath no fury like abbey when she's swearing.

Gunny
09-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Hell hath no fury like abbey when she's swearing.

Add Kathianne to that mix. She's meaner than shit and scares me. :laugh:

Kathianne
09-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Smart man. ;)

tailfins
09-04-2015, 09:35 AM

Kathianne has pleasantly surprised me sometimes.

Gunny
09-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Kathianne has pleasantly surprised me sometimes.

Now where are we going?

Kathianne's always been my friend even when she was mad at Hell at me.:laugh: First person I ever talked to on Jim's board(s).

She doesn't surprise me. I never underestimate her. I could suggest the same for anyone else.

NightTrain
09-04-2015, 12:18 PM
DP regulars already know that my answer is the affirmative. :cool:

And we've gotten a vast amount of mileage out of it in the hilarity department, let me assure you.

WiccanLiberal
09-06-2015, 01:22 PM
I tend to agree that the members here are smarter than the average person. We are here to exercise our conversational skills and expand our thinking. I know I am very smart in some ways and dumber than a load of bricks in others. I think that's the nature of humans. How we problem solve works different ways for different people. And almost everyone here has surprised me at one time or another with an insight or observation.

jimnyc
09-06-2015, 02:09 PM
We're not a large board. All told, adding up those who may only login weekly, and those of us that are here all the time, probably like 40-50 active or so. But I'll bet good $$ on those 40-50 against any other 40-50 in a good debate, any day of the week. Unless it's the mensa folks of course, then I'd have to bet against all you bastards! :)

gabosaurus
09-07-2015, 10:54 PM
And we've gotten a vast amount of mileage out of it in the hilarity department, let me assure you.

I am always happy to entertain those less fortunate than myself. :cool:

SassyLady
09-08-2015, 02:57 AM
I'm smart enough to know what I know (like I know how to drive make mac and cheese), and know what I don't know (I know that I cannot fly an airplane) and that there is an infinite amount of things I don't even know I don't know (I like to watch TLC or the History channel to discover things that I had no idea even existed or happened).

I'm also smart enough to know when to ask those that do know for help. So, I have common sense which is more valuable than IQ points or degrees from liberal universities.

Kathianne
09-08-2015, 03:01 AM
I'm smart enough to know what I know (like I know how to drive make mac and cheese), and know what I don't know (I know that I cannot fly an airplane) and that there is an infinite amount of things I don't even know I don't know (I like to watch TLC or the History channel to discover things that I had no idea even existed or happened).

I'm also smart enough to know when to ask those that do know for help. So, I have common sense which is more valuable than IQ points or degrees from liberal universities.
I concur. The older I get, the more I know what I don't know. I also recognize the things I should have known long ago. ;)

SassyLady
09-08-2015, 03:06 AM
I'm smart enough to know that I've probably forgotten more than a lot of the young pups on here know collectively. :poke:

Kathianne
09-08-2015, 03:08 AM
I'm smart enough to know that I've probably forgotten more than a lot of the young pups on here know collectively. :poke:

Very true. I'll also add that I'm still flexible to learn a thing or two from younger folks. ;)

Gunny
09-08-2015, 04:20 AM
We're not a large board. All told, adding up those who may only login weekly, and those of us that are here all the time, probably like 40-50 active or so. But I'll bet good $$ on those 40-50 against any other 40-50 in a good debate, any day of the week. Unless it's the mensa folks of course, then I'd have to bet against all you bastards! :)

I have an excuse. I have to babysit. It don't seem to be the same at 55 as it was at 25. But it'll be a cold day in Hell before I let that sperm donor get his hands on her.

I just don't like jail. It's like being on deployment. But he's pushing his luck.

revelarts
09-08-2015, 07:55 AM
I've met a few really smart people. and have to say it's fun to listen and talk to them.. if i can keep up.
But when it comes down to it. i prefer GOOD people, kind people, wise people.

Smarts are great and necessary to shut down the leak at the nuke plant, and keep the hackers out of the credit card system and to try and figure things out on deeper level etc etc but the motives and character of the people using the intelligence makes the difference.

Another thing i find is "smart" people sometimes forget that just because they are smarter than some others generally or in specifics it doesn't mean they are right. or know better than other people they consider generally not so smart.
Like Red i had a grandparent with no education. My grandmother was one of the wisest persons i've known. After college i thought i was a bit smarter than her. But i've found that she was much wiser and knew much more than i did in a deeper and real way. After she died I realized many things she said were absolutely true when i thought i had better 'more educated' perspective.
Quick wit and intellect are and great useful tools but they don't make one a wise, kind or great person.

here's a somewhat out of context verse that comes to mind but i think i has pretty broad application. 1 Corinthians 8:1
"...we realize that “all of us have knowledge”; knowledge inflates with pride, but love builds up...."

Gunny
09-08-2015, 08:04 AM
I've met a few really smart people. and have to say it's fun to listen and talk to them.. if i can keep up.

Smarts are great and necessary to shut down the leak at the nuke plant, and keep the hackers out of the credit card system and to try and figure things out on deeper level etc etc but the motives and character of the people using the intelligence makes the difference.

Another thing i find is "smart" people sometimes forget that just because they are smarter than some others generally or in specifics it doesn't mean they are right. or know better than other people they consider generally not so smart.
Like Red i had a grandparent with no education. My grandmother was one of the wisest persons i've known. After college i thought i was a bit smarter than her. But i've found that she was much wiser and knew much more than i did in a deeper and real way. After she died I realized many things she said were absolutely true when i thought i had better 'more educated' perspective.
Quick wit and intellect are and great useful tools but they don't make one a wise, kind or great person.

here's a somewhat out of context verse that comes to mind but i think i has pretty broad application. 1 Corinthians 8:1
"...we realize that “all of us have knowledge”; knowledge inflates with pride, but love builds up...."

Need to learn to differentiate. "Smart" does not equate to "intelligence" nor wisdom. Obama made it through law school which implies intelligence but I consider him about as smart as a red brick.

And my grandfather was wiser than your grandmother.:poke:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2015, 08:08 AM

Great post my friend. Same with me, tis why I cite my father and grandfather so often and use the combined knowledge they instilled in me at an early age to live by and to, if necessary, die by!
So far , have been blessed to not have to die by it--not yet!!
However, with whats going on in this nation now- Sadly, I see the latter as an ever increasing possibility in my future.--Tyr

revelarts
09-08-2015, 08:10 AM

why-i-outta...
ahem, ok maybe so... maybe not, but my grandmother would be wise enough not to fight him ---or you-- about it.:slap:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Need to learn to differentiate. "Smart" does not equate to "intelligence" nor wisdom. Obama made it through law school which implies intelligence but I consider him about as smart as a red brick.

Right.. Smart, book smart and wisdom are not the same thing....
Real Wisdom triumphs all. And sadly that usually comes with greater age, greater/longer life lived.....-Tyr

Gunny
09-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Right.. Smart, book smart and wisdom are not the same thing....
Real Wisdom triumphs all. And sadly that usually comes with greater age, greater/longer life lived.....-Tyr

Try telling that a teeniebopper that thinks we don't know shit and haven't been through the fire.:laugh:

One of the wisest things my grandfather ever told me was "Boy, do it the hard way or you can listen to me". I should have listened. He was a meaner SOB in his day than I am.

Truth Detector
09-08-2015, 10:46 AM

If you're a goose stepping Marxist Liberal, then you mistakenly think you are smarter than everyone else and divine yourself as the ultimate "decider" on what is fair and best for everyone else while holding yourself to a different standard.

If you're a God fearing Conservative who believes in the Constitution, you know that their is a much higher authority on what is wise and smarter people than you could hope to be "divined" the best form of governance ever invented by man.

You tell me which is smarter. ;)