PDA

View Full Version : 9/16 Republican Debate (top 11 candidates)

Black Diamond
09-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Can the establishment candidates pull their heads out of their asses?

Black Diamond
09-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Seriously, if these folks can't stand up to Trump, they should go home. IF they won't stand up to him, why would we think they would stand up to:

Iran's "Supreme Leader"
Putin
ISIS
North Korea
China

to name a few..

Perianne
09-16-2015, 03:23 PM
I am so looking forward to Fiorina vs Trump, and Bush vs Trump. I suspect tonight might be the end for Bush the Bustard.

I also am curious how Dr. Carson will show. The rest? meh

Abbey Marie
09-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Do you think the CNN moderator(s) will try to get some heated talk going between Trump and some of the other candidates? If I am reading your thread right, that is what some people want to see tonight.

I am still hoping for less fireworks and more exposition of each one's policies on key topics. I do want actual back-and-forth debate when the field is narrower.

Perianne
09-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Do you think the CNN moderator(s) will try to get some heated talk going between Trump and some of the other candidates? If I am reading your thread right, that is what some people want to see tonight.

I am still hoping for less fireworks and more exposition of each one's policies on key topics. I do want actual back-and-forth debate when the field is narrower.

I think both Fiorina and Bush are looking for a fight. They are so far behind Trump that it may be a strategy they employ, though I don't think it would be a wise strategy.

Black Diamond
09-16-2015, 03:33 PM

Other than Carson and maybe Carly, the other candidates can't afford not to go on the offensive.

jimnyc
09-16-2015, 05:02 PM
They're definitely all aiming for Trump tonight. It will be a good test for him as well, to see if he can handle it or not. But this is shine time for the rest of the field. I think this will be a heavily watched debate tonight, so any of the candidates have a chance to move up and/or even take the lead not long after.

Got the chips and dip ready, and some beef jerky too. Should be a fun watch, hopefully. :)

Black Diamond
09-16-2015, 06:34 PM
Steve Forbes seems to agree with Abbey.

hjmick
09-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Trump already has a problem with Hewitt, Hewitt caught Trump flat footed last week and pissed him off...

Not sure why, all Hewitt did was expose Trump's lack of knowledge on a couple of topics...

Gunny
09-16-2015, 07:20 PM

No. There wouldn't be any debates at all if they could,

hjmick
09-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Jesus...

Trump is a cross between "We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" and "I know you are but what am I?"

A vacuum when it comes to any details but ready with insults for everyone.

Black Diamond
09-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Carly lands a punch.

Black Diamond
09-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Who let Phil Donahue be a moderator? `

Perianne
09-16-2015, 10:39 PM
2nd debate winner: Carly Fiorina.

SassyLady
09-16-2015, 10:42 PM
CARLY!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

I like Rubio too.

Perianne
09-16-2015, 10:43 PM
CARLY!!!

At some point, America is gonna have to own up that SHE is the best person for the job.

Black Diamond
09-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Carly was the first to really draw Trump's blood

NightTrain
09-17-2015, 04:29 AM
Just finished watching the debate.

After the CNN mods finally figured out that trying to instigate full-on brawls between Trump and everyone else wasn't working, it finally started getting somewhere. I realize they were after huge ratings, but the drama crap is getting out of hand. If I wanted to watch people arguing over silly shit, I'd watch a reality show. This is extremely important and not entertainment. The entertainment factor is a byproduct of smart candidates getting their digs in, it shouldn't be deliberately done by mods hungry to make a name for themselves.

I think the best performer was Rubio, followed closely by Fiorina. Carson did well, too, as did Cruz. I haven't paid much attention to Huckabee in the past, but I will in the future.

Trump disappointed - I expected him to have brushed up on Foreign Policy, but it was clear that he hasn't. I don't like vague "It'll get fixed when I'm Prez" answers. I like his courage to say what's on his mind and Damn The Torpedoes, but he'd better brush up and get some specifics laid out with his "A Team" pronto. The others did, and they scored points with me with the exception of Bush and Paul. Even Christie had some good points made.

Trump is way off base with the Anti-Vax viewpoints, and that crap is dangerous, poisonous thinking. Also, he was way off base by blaming Dubya for the rise of ISIS, and I was glad that the others corrected him on the real cause of the whole Middle East disaster - Obama's 6.5 years of inept bumblings.

I think I was most impressed with Carly Fiorina. That's a strong and very sharp woman and my views changed dramatically for her - other than that bickering with Trump, again instigated by the mods hellbent for fireworks.

Walker did better than the 1st debate, but that isn't saying much. He just isn't displaying the fire he needs to among the crowded field and I think he's on his way out.

And WTF was up with asking the candidates what their Secret Service handle should be? What a complete waste of precious time that should have been spent on serious subjects.

Black Diamond
09-17-2015, 05:01 AM
I think rubio won, followed by Christie. Trump came in third, imo. Fiorina didn't do as well as everyone said, although she did draw Trump's blood. She came across as angry. She needs to smile more as someone on fox rightly said.

Jeb was the person I was going to support, but that has been replaced by rubio. Jeb, Walker, and Carson were the losers tonight IMO. Rand Paul should not have been there for multiple reasons.

Rubio showed excellent knowledge of foreign policy. Trump said I have been making deals and you've been in the Senate and that's obviously true.

Kasich was right about Cruz shutting down the govt. That will help the dems imo. Huck was decent.

Black Diamond
09-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Oh and night train is absolutely correct about trump and the vaccines. Carson should have answered the question and said yes trump as front runner with all the attention should stop speaking out against vaccines. Carson was too accommodating.

Black Diamond
09-17-2015, 05:13 AM
I think what is most significant is Trump was not knocked out. Carly landed a punch but not a KO by any means. Jeb came out fighting, which he needed to do, but trump beat him.

NightTrain
09-17-2015, 05:20 AM
I think rubio won, followed by Christie. Trump came in third, imo. Fiorina didn't do as well as everyone said, although she did draw Trump's blood. She came across as angry. She needs to smile more as someone on fox rightly said.

Jeb was the person I was going to support, but that has been replaced by rubio. Jeb, Walker, and Carson were the losers tonight IMO. Rand Paul should not have been there for multiple reasons.

Rubio showed excellent knowledge of foreign policy. Trump said I have been making deals and you've been in the Senate and that's obviously true.

Kasich was right about Cruz shutting down the govt. That will help the dems imo. Huck was decent.

Fiorina lost her edge when Christie chastised them for bickering... it threw her off balance. But yeah, she was definitely pissed and probably wouldn't have minded gouging his eyes out prior to that!

Oh and night train is absolutely correct about trump and the vaccines. Carson should have answered the question and said yes trump as front runner with all the attention should stop speaking out against vaccines. Carson was too accommodating.

I thought that was a curious moment, and I was shocked that he didn't take it... Carson could have gone for the jugular and made Trump look like a fool, but he deliberately didn't do so. I'm wondering if there's an alliance / VP deal struck already.

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 06:26 AM
Cruz, Fiorina, Rubio & Carson lead the night for me. I wasn't impressed with Trump, but I also don't think he stumbled enough yet for leads to change. The polls I am reading thus far this morning have him winning the debate, which he did not - but that's what a front runner often gets unless they royally screwup.

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 06:30 AM
I think what is most significant is Trump was not knocked out. Carly landed a punch but not a KO by any means. Jeb came out fighting, which he needed to do, but trump beat him.

That's what I've been saying, at this point, I think someone is going to need to KO him, or have him truly stumble. I see maybe Fiorina or Carson moving up a little, but I don't expect to see much of a change with Trump's lead after this debate. I could be wrong!

Perianne
09-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Cruz, Fiorina, Rubio & Carson lead the night for me. I wasn't impressed with Trump, but I also don't think he stumbled enough yet for leads to change. The polls I am reading thus far this morning have him winning the debate, which he did not - but that's what a front runner often gets unless they royally screwup.

This is not a shot at anyone here.

I think sometimes people see what they want to see. To me, Trump lost ground. On the other hand, I wanted Fiorina to do well and in my mind she lapped the field.

Black Diamond
09-17-2015, 06:34 AM
That's what I have read as well. The media seems to be saying Fiorina won, which disagree with, but lets see if that has any effect on polls. . If I had to guess, she will dig into Carson's percentage.

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 06:40 AM

I think sometimes people see what they want to see. To me, Trump lost ground. On the other hand, I wanted Fiorina to do well and in my mind she lapped the field.

Yes, he didn't win the debate, but it will take a LOT more than that to have him drop down a lot in the polls. Sometimes, like a boxing match, you need to KO your opponent, or they still may out point you in the long run.

I thought Fiorina was awesome last night, but so was Cruz and Carson, although I think she was slightly better.

That's what I have read as well. The media seems to be saying Fiorina won, which disagree with, but lets see if that has any effect on polls. . If I had to guess, she will dig into Carson's percentage.

That's what I'm thinking, perhaps Trump drops a couple, if any, Carson may drop the same, and Fiorina may take over those points.

And then when is debate 3? Next month sometime? Let's see what happens next as well. Pretty much all that made the mainstream news after the last debate was Trump Trump Trump. Another candidate will need to start getting air time and as many campaign stops and speeches if they expect to keep up with Trump.

NightTrain
09-17-2015, 06:51 AM
I had the distinct feeling that the entire first part of the debate was engineered to ignite a brawl between all the candidates, or at least give Trump a black eye... it's common knowledge that CNN is no fan of the GOP, so if all of the candidates made themselves look like petty fools, so much the better for CNN.

I was glad to see the refusals to get down in the mud after invitation after invitation to do so. I'm pretty sure all of them saw it coming.

Black Diamond
09-17-2015, 06:54 AM
I had the distinct feeling that the entire first part of the debate was engineered to ignite a brawl between all the candidates, or at least give Trump a black eye... it's common knowledge that CNN is no fan of the GOP, so if all of the candidates made themselves look like petty fools, so much the better for CNN.

I was glad to see the refusals to get down in the mud after invitation after invitation to do so. I'm pretty sure all of them saw it coming.

Just wait until the MSNBC debates....

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 06:57 AM

I had heard all along that they were going to try and get them riled up - and they did - but the candidates didn't take the bait. I was shocked when Fiorina refused to answer about the nuke codes and Trump. She took the higher road instead on that subject.

When will the ratings come out? I'm curious if the ratings will be as high as the last debate. Trump had stated last week that they were getting $200k per commercial during the debate due to the ratings in the last debate.

tailfins
09-17-2015, 08:29 AM

If the field were winnowed to Trump, Bush and Fiorina, I would actively campaign for Fiorina. Fiorina lays people off; Trump fires them.

Black Diamond
09-17-2015, 08:30 AM
If the field were winnowed to Trump, Bush and Fiorina, I would actively campaign for Fiorina. Fiorina lays people off; Trump fires them.

Tomato tomato.

Perianne
09-17-2015, 08:53 AM

I have donated already to Fiorina's campaign. I admire her.

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 09:32 AM
The debate was the highest rated event in CNN history.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/17/media/cnn-republican-debate-ratings/index.html

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 09:33 AM
A poll from Drudge. Many will say "Well, drudge is right leaning". Well, I think are candidates are too!!

---

**DRUDGE POLL** WHO WON THE 2ND REPUBLICAN DEBATE '16?

BUSH
1%
7,005 votes

CARSON
4%
24,103 votes

CHRISTIE
1%
7,644 votes

CRUZ
6%
33,729 votes

FIORINA
20%
116,856 votes

HUCKABEE
1%
3,446 votes

KASICH
1%
6,903 votes

PAUL
4%
24,682 votes

RUBIO
6%
35,417 votes

TRUMP
54%
311,465 votes

WALKER
1%
4,374 votes

Perianne
09-17-2015, 09:37 AM
I just can't see how anyone could think Trump won the debate. He did okay, but that was all.

Truth Detector
09-17-2015, 09:41 AM
CARLY!!!

I like Rubio too.

Ditto.....and Huckabee

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 09:42 AM
I just can't see how anyone could think Trump won the debate. He did okay, but that was all.

I don't agree either, I would say one of the other 3 I mentioned, but I think folks run with the "leader" unless he/she is not the leader.

What they SHOULD have done, which I think would have been more effective, was continue to attack his past record on working with and donating to Dems. Honestly, "I" don't see that as an issue. I think in today's world, it makes sense if you're a multi billionaire to make sure you're protected from all sides.

But perhaps the American people would see it differently than me if it were continually tossed at them. I don't know.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... .....................................

I think down the road, when the field is narrowed down, perhaps more time to attack him on stage will work?

Truth Detector
09-17-2015, 09:43 AM
I have donated already to Fiorina's campaign. I admire her.

I did this months ago and have been all-in for her long shot campaign from the beginning. I'm hoping as she gets MORE name recognition and exposure her support will increase which means money which is very, very important at this time.

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Ditto.....and Huckabee

Almost forgot him. While I don't see him going anywhere, he did impress me and bring a smile to my face a few times.

Truth Detector
09-17-2015, 09:44 AM
I liked Fiorina, of course, Rubio and Huckabee were also winners.

In addition to the debaters, I thought CNN did a much better job than Fox on the debates and having AF ONE as a back drop was awesome.

Truth Detector
09-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Almost forgot him. While I don't see him going anywhere, he did impress me and bring a smile to my face a few times.

Unlike Trump, Huckabee knows what he is talking about and said the magic words........FAIR TAX.....again.

I want Carly to get on board with it as well.

Whenever I see establishment politicians bloviating about "fixing" the current tax code abomination or "tinkering" with it, I want to barf.

Perianne
09-17-2015, 09:47 AM
I liked Fiorina, of course, Rubio and Huckabee were also winners.

In addition to the debaters, I thought CNN did a much better job than Fox on the debates and having AF ONE as a back drop was awesome.

I agree with you, though there were attempts by the moderators to stir the crap. At least Megyn Kelly wasn't there.

I think it is very insensitive for people to keep asking Carly Fiorina how she feels about someone saying she is ugly. But she responded perfectly.

Kathianne
09-17-2015, 09:51 AM
A poll from Drudge. Many will say "Well, drudge is right leaning". Well, I think are candidates are too!!

---

**DRUDGE POLL** WHO WON THE 2ND REPUBLICAN DEBATE '16?

BUSH
1%
7,005 votes

CARSON
4%
24,103 votes

CHRISTIE
1%
7,644 votes

CRUZ
6%
33,729 votes

FIORINA
20%
116,856 votes

HUCKABEE
1%
3,446 votes

KASICH
1%
6,903 votes

PAUL
4%
24,682 votes

RUBIO
6%
35,417 votes

TRUMP
54%
311,465 votes

WALKER
1%
4,374 votes

Ron Paul won all Drudge polls. Just daying.

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 09:58 AM

I believe those I recall were prior to primary voting, not after debates. Either way, RP was certainly never far into the lead like this as Trump has been. This isn't just the lunatic fringe supporting Trump, he's getting support around the country and in huge numbers. Additionally, Trump is leading in almost EVERY poll out there.

As of today, on aggregate polling, Trump still leads almost across the board in every primary state.

Kathianne
09-17-2015, 10:02 AM
I believe those I recall were prior to primary voting, not after debates. Either way, RP was certainly never far into the lead like this as Trump has been. This isn't just the lunatic fringe supporting Trump, he's getting support around the country and in huge numbers. Additionally, Trump is leading in almost EVERY poll out there.

As of today, on aggregate polling, Trump still leads almost across the board in every primary state.

I'm pretty sure RP won all the after debate drudge polls it's a measure of responding supporters. RP and now Trump have passionate supporters, as demonstrated here countless times.

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm pretty sure RP won all the after debate drudge polls it's a measure of responding supporters. RP and now Trump have passionate supporters, as demonstrated here countless times.

RP never lead at high rates in aggregate polling across the nation, that I recall. But regardless, as I said, this is a lot more than just Drudge. Almost every poll in almost every locale across the nation has Trump leading.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-17-2015, 10:13 AM
Fiorina lost her edge when Christie chastised them for bickering... it threw her off balance. But yeah, she was definitely pissed and probably wouldn't have minded gouging his eyes out prior to that!

I thought that was a curious moment, and I was shocked that he didn't take it... Carson could have gone for the jugular and made Trump look like a fool, but he deliberately didn't do so. I'm wondering if there's an alliance / VP deal struck already.[/COLOR]

I'm wondering if there's an alliance / VP deal struck already.

Well Bully for them, if there is already such an alliance. As a team they'd be a totally unbeatable ticket IMHO!
So would a Trump ticket with EITHER Carly or Cruz.. But after his shot at Carly, I think that ever happening would be a truly great long shot.-Tyr

Gunny
09-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Y'all actually watched this dumb crap? I spent my evening getting pissed off. Mine probably was more entertaining and meant more.

Truth Detector
09-17-2015, 10:42 AM
AND....the winning Trump put down of the eveningwas..........drum roll..........<o:p></o:p>
Scott Walker: “We don’t need an apprentice in the WhiteHouse; we have one right now.”<o:p></o:p>

DLT
09-17-2015, 11:12 AM

Only a blind fool (leftist) would not have seen it coming.

gabosaurus
09-17-2015, 01:06 PM
The consensus among many liberals is that Fiorina had the best performance of the debate. She refused to be baited by Trump and had actual answers to questions. As opposed to insults and rhetoric.
Trump came off as more of an insult comic than a real candidate. He makes bold promises that have no place in reality.
The real losers were Carson, who came off as bored and disinterested, and Jeb Bush, who appeared to be intimidated by Trump.

hjmick
09-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Cruz looked like a melting Hollywood Wax Museum statue with meat sweats...

Carson talks like he's explaining a diagnosis to a brain damaged patient, fucking pick up the pace dude...

NightTrain
09-17-2015, 04:19 PM

:laugh:

Carson talks like he's explaining a diagnosis to a brain damaged patient, fucking pick up the pace dude...

Well, in fairness, he is talking to a country that the majority voted for Obama - twice. Those people are brain damaged, so talking slowly is probably the best solution!

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 04:20 PM

I thought that a few times about Carson too. For such a well spoken and smart guy, you would think he could spit the words out a little faster.

DLT
09-17-2015, 04:23 PM

If they could, they wouldn't be "establishment candidates" lol!

DLT
09-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Seriously, if these folks can't stand up to Trump, they should go home. IF they won't stand up to him, why would we think they would stand up to:

Iran's "Supreme Leader"
Putin
ISIS
North Korea
China

to name a few..

Much less the 'enemy within Democrats'.

DLT
09-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Jesus...

Trump is a cross between "We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" and "I know you are but what am I?"

A vacuum when it comes to any details but ready with insults for everyone.

He's definitely the one with the loudest mouth and the brashest tactics. But....does America really want someone with those qualities? Or does America want...and more importantly need...someone more like this quote exemplifies...

Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Big Stick ideology, Big Stick diplomacy, or Big Stick policy refers to U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt’s foreign policy: "speak softly, and carry a big stick." Roosevelt described his style of foreign policy as "the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis".

Only...in my case....I want that stick to be an AK47. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
09-17-2015, 04:47 PM
I thought that a few times about Carson too. For such a well spoken and smart guy, you would think he could spit the words out a little faster.

I find his measured speech a sign of intelligence and especially, thoughtfulness. We've had enough slick talkers in the White house lately.

Abbey Marie
09-17-2015, 05:01 PM
I still need to see that last hour, but so far, I think Rubio, Christie and Fiorina performed best.

Even though he had the lion's share of air time, Trump was put in the position of being talked about, more than talked to. It almost felt like he was on trial. I actually expected his numbers to drop a bit afterwards.

Bush seems kind of wooden. He may have great ideas, but the debates are not fleshing those out.

Carson is still my favorite, but he needs a more intimate debate format to shine. He isn't going to yell, or attack other Republicans. I think I said this previously- he may be too high-quality a person to get elected in this country. :(

Walker was barely there. Ditto Huckabee. Paul just doesn't appeal to me. Kasich seems like he should be the next to go.

I can't even remember the other two!

jimnyc
09-17-2015, 05:55 PM
I find his measured speech a sign of intelligence and especially, thoughtfulness. We've had enough slick talkers in the White house lately.

In find his intelligence and soft spoken tone to be great qualities, I enjoy listening to him. But I wouldn't enjoy listening to a speech that would normally take 10 minutes, being turned into 30 minutes. I don't think it makes him less intelligent, just simply a very slow speaker. I'd rather read the text afterwards!

DragonStryk72
09-17-2015, 07:16 PM

This is sort of the problem with really smart people. You guys have seen my posts, text walls that some are. I've had to learn to edit down my posts and speaking, because for many people, there's a limit on how much text they can really deal with and form opinion on. This is how guys like gnostic try to get ahead in a debate, is to throw out such a huge wall of words that no one has the wherewithal to gainsay all of the erroneous points.

I'd actually like to see Carson move up the polls, but he'd definitely have to take Trump out of the running, and he doesn't seem likely to do so.

Russ
09-17-2015, 08:19 PM

That is a good point, but it makes me wonder why Rand Paul didn't win this Drudge poll. Are the former Ron Paul supporters going with Rand Paul, or Trump, or did they just lose interest?

Kathianne
09-17-2015, 08:44 PM
That is a good point, but it makes me wonder why Rand Paul didn't win this Drudge poll. Are the former Ron Paul supporters going with Rand Paul, or Trump, or did they just lose interest?

I certainly can't say what the motivation is regarding those that backed Ron Paul, Trump, or Rand. My guess regarding Ron/Rand though is that Rand has tried to appeal to minorities, especially blacks. Might not inspire many of those that backed the father. Rand too seems to have tried to walk a line between hard core libertarianism and 'conservative' libertarianism.

SassyLady
09-17-2015, 08:53 PM

As a brain surgeon he's trained himself to go slowly and do no damage. Which this country needs more of instead of just charging ahead full steam. With that said, I agree with him that too many people on stage and not enough time to articulate one's position and what they believe they can do for America. He truly sees the problems and is trying to communicate them to the public. If you truly listen to him he really does see the underlying problems and wants to fix them from the inside out.

Most "fixes" to political problems is akin to giving aspirin for symptoms of a headache rather than fixing the cause of the problem which could be a tumor. He has taken the time to dig deeper and has very comprehensive plan to fix them.

Kathianne
09-17-2015, 09:05 PM
As a brain surgeon he's trained himself to go slowly and do no damage. Which this country needs more of instead of just charging ahead full steam. With that said, I agree with him that too many people on stage and not enough time to articulate one's position and what they believe they can do for America. He truly sees the problems and is trying to communicate them to the public. If you truly listen to him he really does see the underlying problems and wants to fix them from the inside out.

Most "fixes" to political problems is akin to giving aspirin for symptoms of a headache rather than fixing the cause of the problem which could be a tumor. He has taken the time to dig deeper and has very comprehensive plan to fix them.

Would rep if I could. Excellent analysis!