PDA

View Full Version : How do you compare to average Americans in science?

NightTrain
09-18-2015, 10:47 PM
It's a 12 question quiz, conducted by Pew Research. Interesting to measure yourself against John Q. Public.

I missed #6, so I scored 11/12... small consolation, though, the vast majority of Americans missed that question.

No cheating!

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Perianne
09-18-2015, 11:03 PM
I missed 6 and 7.

SassyLady
09-19-2015, 02:31 AM
You scored better than 67% of the public, below 18% and the same as 15%.

I missed 6 and 7 ... the altitude one I really didn't know and the magnifying glass is an example of knowing the answer but not understanding the diagram fully because I know the answer.

revelarts
09-19-2015, 06:10 AM
"You scored better than 82% of the public, below 6% and the same as 12%."
scored 11/12

I missed #7.

one thing to note about Question #1
one of the recent space probes has brought into question some of the description given about the object.

sundaydriver
09-19-2015, 06:18 AM
12 of 12. I guess 41 years as a lab rat wasn't wasted.

jimnyc
09-19-2015, 06:47 AM
I'm a retard, only got 9 out of 12, but I got #5 right! :laugh:

Drummond
09-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Tried it myself (as a Brit, obviously) .. I scored 10 out of 12. I got questions 6 and 7 wrong. I thought 'Water boils at the same temperature in both Denver and Los Angeles.' I'm amazed to find that's wrong.

sundaydriver
09-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Tried it myself (as a Brit, obviously) .. I scored 10 out of 12. I got questions 6 and 7 wrong. I thought 'Water boils at the same temperature in both Denver and Los Angeles.' I'm amazed to find that's wrong.

Due to lower air pressure. The less atmospheric pressure the lower the boiling point.

Drummond
09-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Due to lower air pressure. The less atmospheric pressure the lower the boiling point.

Also, a lot more hot air in Los Angeles, and California generally. Must make a difference ... :rolleyes:

Gunny
09-19-2015, 10:17 AM
It's a 12 question quiz, conducted by Pew Research. Interesting to measure yourself against John Q. Public.

I missed #6, so I scored 11/12... small consolation, though, the vast majority of Americans missed that question.

No cheating!

Hell, I must be a geek. I aced it. I feel so ashamed. How can you be a geek AND a hardass at the same time?

NightTrain
09-19-2015, 10:25 AM

I knew that, once upon a time... it tickled my memory as I was pondering the question. Finally I went with the same boiling point.

Voted4Reagan
09-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Science Knowledge Quiz Results
You answered 12 of 12 questions correctly.
See below how your results compare with the 3,278 randomly sampled adults that took part in our national survey and review how you responded to each question. For more findings from the survey, read "A Look at What the Public Knows and Does Not Know About Science." (http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/09/10/what-the-public-knows-and-does-not-know-about-science/)
You scored better than 94% of the public and the same as 6%.

WiccanLiberal
09-19-2015, 10:38 AM
You answered 12 of 12
questions correctly.

NightTrain
09-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Hell, I must be a geek. I aced it. I feel so ashamed. How can you be a geek AND a hardass at the same time?

I'm glad to know that you had more to say to the recruits than "Pointy end towards bad guy. Bang-bang oww." :coffee:

Gunny
09-19-2015, 11:06 AM
I'm glad to know that you had more to say to the recruits than "Pointy end towards bad guy. Bang-bang oww." :coffee:

I SWEAR this is fuck with Gunny week. :laugh:

I NEVER abused a recruit. Walked away a few times, but I refused to abuse my authority. I know you are making a funny, I get that, but this has ALWAYS been a touchy subject with me.

Might as well walk outside and kick your dog as abuse a recruit. They have about as much recourse. Hard on them? Hell yes. Torture them for no reason? Not on my watch and I got one hat relieved for cause because he was doing it.

I might be an asshole, but I'm a fair one.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-19-2015, 01:46 PM

You answered 11 of 12 questions correctly.
Damn , missed the boiling point question but only after second guessing myself after having first decided correctly.
And yes my friends, I know the old rule about second guessing ones self. :laugh:
This result after being so damn sure that I would ace it... :laugh: -Tyr

Gunny
09-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Damn , missed the boiling point question but only after second guessing myself after having first decided correctly.
And yes my friends, I know the old rule about second guessing ones self. :laugh:

Glad YOU said that. Saved me the trouble. :laugh:

Every time I've second guessed myself I've been wrong. :)

Black Diamond
09-19-2015, 01:56 PM

If you second guess yourself one more time, I will send Obama over to your house with a gay flag :cool:

Black Diamond
09-19-2015, 01:57 PM
Glad YOU said that. Saved me the trouble. :laugh:

Every time I've second guessed myself I've been wrong. :)

Same here. It needs to stop.

Abbey Marie
09-19-2015, 04:17 PM
10/12.

Had no idea about boiling water, and I forget which other one was wrong.

ETA: It was the magnifying glass diagram.

Russ
09-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Similar to Tyr-Ziu. 11 out of 12 after second guessing myself on the 12th question, although in my case the incorrect question was the magnifying glass one.

jimnyc
09-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Looks like I'm the dumbest one here? Well screw you people! :slap: :cheers2:

SassyLady
09-20-2015, 03:09 AM

It is what it is.

NightTrain
09-20-2015, 08:27 AM

You're still higher than the average.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-20-2015, 08:56 AM
You're still higher than the average.

Which says a lot about the caliber and makeup of this forum!! :beer:-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-20-2015, 08:59 AM
If you second guess yourself one more time, I will send Obama over to your house with a gay flag :cool:

Iffin ya able to send him , make sure that his security doesn't come with him.
As I'd dearly love to have a serious , uninterrupted "chat" with the stinking bastard. ;)--Tyr

NightTrain
09-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Which says a lot about the caliber and makeup of this forum!! :beer:-Tyr

I was pretty confident that pretty much everyone here would get a higher score than the average American.

I'd love to see the results on a liberal forum.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-20-2015, 09:21 AM
I was pretty confident that pretty much everyone here would get a higher score than the average American.

I'd love to see the results on a liberal forum.

A 5 out of 12 would be top score there methinks, with only about a tenth of them even reaching up to that low level....
Not joking, thats my honest belief.. -Tyr

Drummond
09-20-2015, 11:05 AM

You answered 12 of 12 questions correctly.
See below how your results compare with the 3,278 randomly sampled adults that took part in our national survey and review how you responded to each question. For more findings from the survey, read "A Look at What the Public Knows and Does Not Know About Science." (http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/09/10/what-the-public-knows-and-does-not-know-about-science/)
You scored better than 94% of the public and the same as 6%.

Peter Capaldi's Dr Who .. ?? That's one of the last things I expected to see on this forum !!

[A Time Lord from Gallifrey, with a broad Scottish accent. What will the BBC think of next ?]

Drummond
09-20-2015, 11:07 AM
A 5 out of 12 would be top score there methinks, with only about a tenth of them even reaching up to that low level....
Not joking, thats my honest belief.. -Tyr

Proof, if ever there was any, of your extraordinarily generous nature, Tyr ! ;)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Proof, if ever there was any, of your extraordinarily generous nature, Tyr ! ;)

Dat bez da truff bro'.. I bez ginirus to a falt.. :laugh::laugh:--Tyr

Drummond
09-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Dat bez da truff bro'.. I bez ginirus to a falt.. :laugh::laugh:--TyrI'll now 'do a Drummond' (as some think of it ..) .. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

DLT
09-20-2015, 11:24 AM

No cheating!

You did better than me. But still...I did better than I thought I would...since I suck at science. But many of those questions were just logic questions...and many of the answers I picked up over the years due to ...osmosis? lol

I got 9 out of 12 correct.

DLT
09-20-2015, 11:36 AM
I'm a retard, only got 9 out of 12, but I got #5 right! :laugh:

Wait....did you just call me a retard??? LOL!

DLT
09-20-2015, 11:37 AM

Well...it's perfectly obvious, I would think.

You're just faking being a hardass. :lol:

DLT
09-20-2015, 11:40 AM
I SWEAR this is fuck with Gunny week. :laugh:

I NEVER abused a recruit. Walked away a few times, but I refused to abuse my authority. I know you are making a funny, I get that, but this has ALWAYS been a touchy subject with me.

Might as well walk outside and kick your dog as abuse a recruit. They have about as much recourse. Hard on them? Hell yes. Torture them for no reason? Not on my watch and I got one hat relieved for cause because he was doing it.

I might be an asshole, but I'm a fair one.

Ahhhh....men are considered assholes while women are considered bitches. Only...there's really no such thing (that I've ever heard of) as a "fair bitch". HAhaha!

DLT
09-20-2015, 11:43 AM

Yeah, your first instincts tend to, percentage wise, be correct. It's like your subconscious knows the answer but your conscious mind resents it and tries to trip you up! Don't let it. :laugh:

With me...I just didn't know (or remember) the three I missed. Such is life. I have a feeling my score will only get worse as years go by....

aboutime
09-21-2015, 03:57 PM
You answered 8 of 12 questions correctly.

Nonnie
09-21-2015, 05:10 PM
For the magnifying glass, I was going to pick number 3 because that's what the eye does but I hit number 2 instead without really thinking. Polio question was an educated guess, so I got 11 and 12.

I prefer to read Christianity as opposed to science so I'm very pleased with the result.

Noir
09-21-2015, 05:32 PM
12/12,

Though the polio question was a 'process of elimination' guess, never heard of that scientist before.

aboutime
09-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Personally. I enjoy taking tests like this, and others. I don't care who, or what anyone else claims their score was in any of the tests. I have been watching Jeopardy since it first came on the air, and generally. I use it as a daily test for myself, as well as something to LEARN. No matter how old anyone gets. It's always a thrill to continue learning something new.
So...until there is a prize for taking these tests. It doesn't matter WHO wants to claim, brag, or lie about their scores unless.....IT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET.:laugh: