PDA

View Full Version : Brazilians: Flap shows Americans 'full of prejudice'

nevadamedic
07-07-2007, 11:59 PM
SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- In a joke that made Brazilians cringe and forced the U.S. Olympic Committee to apologize, a USOC worker scrawled "Welcome to the Congo!" on a board in the organization's Rio de Janeiro media center for the Pan American Games.

Rio's O Globo newspaper published a photo of the message on its front page Saturday, and ran a headline saying the joke was "full of prejudice." The message was condemned in a nation extremely sensitive about being compared to less-developed countries, especially by Americans -- who often are perceived as arrogant by Brazilians.

The controversy occurred as American athletes arrived in Latin America's largest country to compete in the event that starts Friday.

The USOC issued a "deep apology to the people of Brazil and Rio de Janeiro" in a statement Saturday, and said the worker who wrote the phrase was disciplined and is no longer a member of the U.S. delegation to the games.

USOC officials also apologized in person to Rio Mayor Cesar Maia, senior officials of the Brazilian Olympic Committee and the Pan American Sports Organization. The USOC statement did not name the employee.

Full Story..............
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/07/07/bc.panamgames.usoc.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

I don't see what the big deal is, that wasn't really bad. They are just trying to get attention on their country.

Nukeman
07-08-2007, 11:49 AM
SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- In a joke that made Brazilians cringe and forced the U.S. Olympic Committee to apologize, a USOC worker scrawled "Welcome to the Congo!" on a board in the organization's Rio de Janeiro media center for the Pan American Games.

Rio's O Globo newspaper published a photo of the message on its front page Saturday, and ran a headline saying the joke was "full of prejudice." The message was condemned in a nation extremely sensitive about being compared to less-developed countries, especially by Americans -- who often are perceived as arrogant by Brazilians.
The controversy occurred as American athletes arrived in Latin America's largest country to compete in the event that starts Friday.

The USOC issued a "deep apology to the people of Brazil and Rio de Janeiro" in a statement Saturday, and said the worker who wrote the phrase was disciplined and is no longer a member of the U.S. delegation to the games.

USOC officials also apologized in person to Rio Mayor Cesar Maia, senior officials of the Brazilian Olympic Committee and the Pan American Sports Organization. The USOC statement did not name the employee.

Full Story..............
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/07/07/bc.panamgames.usoc.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

I don't see what the big deal is, that wasn't really bad. They are just trying to get attention on their country.
I bolded this part because I see so much hypocrisy in it.

You see they are allowed to say "all Americans are arrogant", Yet we cant say they are one step up from a thrid world country.

I just love how the rest of the world does this. No matter what country it is they talk about the evils of the American people and yet bitch to high heaven if we comment on them....

nevadamedic
07-08-2007, 01:46 PM

You see they are allowed to say "all Americans are arrogant", Yet we cant say they are one step up from a thrid world country.

I just love how the rest of the world does this. No matter what country it is they talk about the evils of the American people and yet bitch to high heaven if we comment on them....

I didn't notice that until you brought that up, thank's for showing that. IMO they are all hipocrits.

07-08-2007, 05:26 PM
i dont see how anything said is full of prejudice. seems pretty accurate to me.

Hugh Lincoln
07-08-2007, 06:57 PM
i dont see how anything said is full of prejudice. seems pretty accurate to me.

Given that such a high percentage of Brazilians are from Africa, it does sound accurate. Also, Brazil is one to talk... it's a more "color-conscious" society than most.

Nukeman
07-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Given that such a high percentage of Brazilians are from Africa, it does sound accurate. Also, Brazil is one to talk... it's a more "color-conscious" society than most.:Here's the funny thing about all of these "Latin" countries. Every last one of them is steeped in colorism. Much more so than any other area of the globe. In the Dominican Republic alone there are over 30 different "shades" of black. Depending on where you fall will determine your station in life.

I love these countries telling us how awful we are....:fu::salute:

glockmail
07-09-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't see what the big deal is, that wasn't really bad. They are just trying to get attention on their country. WTF are these little brown-skins whining about now? :poke:

GW in Ohio
07-09-2007, 09:19 AM

nukeman: While I see this as the action of one thoughtless American, and not representative of all Americans, I don't thnk we should reflexively go on the defensive when someone from another country criticizes us.

We Americans are far from perfect. Don't you agree?

Hagbard Celine
07-09-2007, 09:28 AM
It seems that none of you are able to grasp the concept of "tact." Apparently, as I understand it, when you insult people they become unhappy with you. Just an f.y.i.

Nukeman
07-09-2007, 09:40 AM
nukeman: While I see this as the action of one thoughtless American, and not representative of all Americans, I don't thnk we should reflexively go on the defensive when someone from another country criticizes us.

Ohh dont get me wrong I agree we aren't perfect.

However I must take a certain amount of offense when "most" other countries lump "most" Americans in the "Ugly American" catagory. The problem as I see it the rest of the world expects the US to above repraoch and yet they can insult and belittle every little thing we do.

Other countries have FAR MORE racism and classism (sp) than anywhere in the US. They just refuse to admit it or even acknowledge it, yet they are the first to take offense at something one of our citizens do and in turn blame all of Americans.

I know I'm on a little bit of a rant here but this is one of those things that really eats at me. I mean it takes a lot of gall to point a finger at the US and say all 300 million of you are, I quote from the article, "who often are perceived as arrogant by Brazilians."

I gusess what I'm saying is dont lump all Americans in the same boat and we won't lump all of them in the same boat.......

Nukeman
07-09-2007, 09:43 AM
It seems that none of you are able to grasp the concept of "tact." Apparently, as I understand it, when you insult people they become unhappy with you. Just an f.y.i.How about the insult that is put upon the US everyday. Are we supposed to be the only country that is to use "tact". If so why??

Ohh F.Y.I. I think most here understand tact it is just so tiring to always be the country that has to use it and not get any in return....

Hagbard Celine
07-09-2007, 10:03 AM
How about the insult that is put upon the US everyday. Are we supposed to be the only country that is to use "tact". If so why??

Ohh F.Y.I. I think most here understand tact it is just so tiring to always be the country that has to use it and not get any in return....

Well, somebody's got to be "the bigger man" as they say. I'd prefer if it were us. Ever heard the phrase "lead by example?"

Nukeman
07-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Well, somebody's got to be "the bigger man" as they say. I'd prefer if it were us. Ever heard the phrase "lead by example?"When we do lead by example we are called, and I quote the Brazilians "who often are perceived as arrogant by Brazilians."

It gets very tiresome to always be the worlds whipping boy. I for one get very very tired of being told your arrogant, your selfish, you dont help enough, you help too much, you medle, why dont you intervene.....etc...etc...

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.

No matter what the US does its never enough or enough already (come help us after our disaster.... now get the fuck out....) the rest of the world needs to rely on themselves for a change IMO:salute:

Hagbard Celine
07-09-2007, 10:24 AM
When we do lead by example we are called, and I quote the Brazilians "who often are perceived as arrogant by Brazilians."

It gets very tiresome to always be the worlds whipping boy. I for one get very very tired of being told your arrogant, your selfish, you dont help enough, you help too much, you medle, why dont you intervene.....etc...etc...

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.

No matter what the US does its never enough or enough already (come help us after our disaster.... now get the fuck out....) the rest of the world needs to rely on themselves for a change IMO:salute:

Being bitter and ill-tempered has never solved any problems for anybody. I prefer to retain my cockeyed optimism--the stuff Americans are supposed to be known for.

Nukeman
07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Being bitter and ill-tempered has never solved any problems for anybody. I prefer to retain my cockeyed optimism--the stuff Americans are supposed to be known for.I'm far from "bitter" and I'm not really ill temperd. I dont think the world is crashing down around us and I think that ultimately the US will always be here in some form to help the rest of the world.

I just sometimes wish they would acknowledge what we do. Is to much to ask for the occasional "Thank You" without the stipulations thrown in...

To quote Mr Incredible "Sometime I wish the world would just stay saved... I mean I feel like the maid"

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 12:22 PM
WTF are these little brown-skins whining about now? :poke:

Your in a rare mood today. :cheers2:

glockmail
07-09-2007, 04:04 PM
It seems that none of you are able to grasp the concept of "tact." Apparently, as I understand it, when you insult people they become unhappy with you. Just an f.y.i. When libs insult me it makes me happy. :D

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 04:08 PM
When libs insult me it makes me happy. :D

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Yurt
07-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Being bitter and ill-tempered has never solved any problems for anybody. I prefer to retain my cockeyed optimism--the stuff Americans are supposed to be known for.

You're pretty cool Hag. Mostly good posts, doing good work on your house, whatnot.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=85682&postcount=21

You guys are really fucking judgemental for a bunch of people who claim to be "Christians." Sheesh. The kid's not an angel, but possessing some adderall and less than an ounce of weed and speeding is hardly a serious crime--in fact, I'll bet about one in three of all teens and young adults in the country are guilty of everything here. If this were Jenna Bush you'd be tripping over yourselves to white wash it.

Doesn't sound like the same person to me. You are just as judgemental as any of us humans.

:cool:

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
You're pretty cool Hag. Mostly good posts, doing good work on your house, whatnot.

Doesn't sound like the same person to me. You are just as judgemental as any of us humans.

:cool:

Your just now realizing that? :laugh2:

manu1959
07-09-2007, 11:38 PM

i know of no american that thinks 'we' are perfect....yet i can not think of single country that can restrain itself from taking shots at america to make itself feel better.....

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 11:40 PM
i know of no american that thinks 'we' are perfect....yet i can not think of single country that can restrain itself from taking shots at america to make itself feel better.....

No shit. :salute:

manu1959
07-09-2007, 11:40 PM
It seems that none of you are able to grasp the concept of "tact." Apparently, as I understand it, when you insult people they become unhappy with you. Just an f.y.i.

so the brazillians insulting me is designed to make me like them?

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 11:47 PM
so the brazillians insulting me is designed to make me like them?

Basically............