PDA

View Full Version : Child's death in Orofino sparks outrage, awareness

nevadamedic
07-08-2007, 12:12 AM
OROFINO, ID -- The death of a 15-month-old boy locked in an SUV Wednesday evening in Orofino has prompted a number of questions and a lot of outrage.

The tragedy has a lot of people asking how something like this is possible, an expecially difficult question for the child's father, Patrick Graber, who hopes some sort of awareness will come out of his heartache.

"I just want people to realize that you can't do that," Garber told KXLY 4's Annie Bishop. "Kids are number one priority. Don't leave them in the car, even for five seconds."

Rita E. Johnston, the boy's step-grandmother who has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and felony injury to a child in the case told police that she forgot the child was in the car and fell asleep. She was arraigned on Thursday and is currently being held in Clearwater County Jail with bond set at $15,000.

Her excuse is a startlingly common one. A recent study showed that 40 percent of the time when a child's caregiver is asked about why the child was left in a car, the reply is, "I forgot".

Some tips to ensure that this never happens to you or your loved ones include leaving a briefcase, wallet or purse beside your child or child's car seat, so when you run out to the grocery store you'll remember them both.

Most of the time these instances occur, toddlers and infants are left in the car seat, especially when they're sleeping. However, it's also possible that pre-schoolers can sneak into the car to play, which parents want to remind their young ones not to do.

It's also important to remind your baby-sitter or caretaker to never leave the kids in the car, even with the windows open.

And if you need an extra reminder there is always the child minder alert system (see link below).

The Orofino Police Department responded to a citizen’s report of a child locked in a closed vehicle near the intersection of D Street and Michigan Avenue at about 6:05 p.m. Wednesday evening.

Clearwater County Prosecutor Clayne Tyler said an investigation showed that the child was in the car for about five hours when passers-by noticed him and called authorities. Officer Jeremy Adams broke the window in attempt to free the victim from a car seat, but found the child, identified as Patrick Graber Jr., dead on the scene.

Full story............
http://www.kxly.com/news/?sect_rank=3&section_id=561&story_id=12576

Shit like this pisses me off. How could you forget your child is with you? She got off luckt that it's manslaughter.

I remember last year there was a hispanic woman who locked the two kids in the car so she could gamble. It was in the middle of the summer and the Sheriff's had to pop the window. I know one was an infant and I think the other was two. They said in the paper when the Paramedics got there they had to be rushed to the hospital and were admitted for a couple days.

I just dont see how anyone can do something as disgusting.