PDA

View Full Version : F-15 flies 10 miles and lands with ONE wing

NightTrain
09-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Stumbled across this story this morning, it happened in 1983 to an Israeli pilot.

Some top notch flying skills! He said later if he'd known he was missing a wing, he'd have just ejected.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LveSc8Lp0ZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gunny
09-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Stumbled across this story this morning, it happened in 1983 to an Israeli pilot.

Some top notch flying skills! He said later if he'd known he was missing a wing, he'd have just ejected.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LveSc8Lp0ZE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Even the planes don't f*ck with Israeli pilots. Those dudes are so hardcore they'd scare Kathianne. :laugh:

NightTrain
09-21-2015, 11:43 AM
I think it's amazing that the F-15s are still unbeaten in combat. One hell of a bird!

Elessar
09-21-2015, 02:00 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LveSc8Lp0ZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

That is just simply amazing!

SassyLady
09-22-2015, 05:31 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LveSc8Lp0ZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

He's giving all the credit to the F-15, but it looked like he did an awesome job of piloting it safely to the airfield. Well done, Captain.

Voted4Reagan
09-22-2015, 05:39 AM
and they say the F-22 can take on half a dozen f-15's.... and win.

I think the Israelis need a squadron or two of them...... Just saying....

Now where are those reactors???

sundaydriver
09-22-2015, 06:27 AM

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LveSc8Lp0ZE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

I've seen this many times over the years but will always watch again and again due to pure amazement. Like they said; high speed was the key to keeping it in the air and maybe because it was the 2 seater D variant with more surface area providing lift.

and they say the F-22 can take on half a dozen f-15's.... and win.

I think the Israelis need a squadron or two of them...... Just saying....

Now where are those reactors???

I think as of the Gulf War the score was 63 to nothing.

Even though the Israelis fly US fighters they purchase them without avionics package and put in their own avionic suites.

NightTrain
09-22-2015, 07:00 AM
I've seen this many times over the years but will always watch again and again due to pure amazement. Like they said; high speed was the key to keeping it in the air and maybe because it was the 2 seater D variant with more surface area providing lift.

Yeah, the body lift from the design, combined with large rudders & stabilizers gave him just enough control - after he figured out that excessive speed was needed for the additional lift. Still, figuring all that out within a few seconds while not even knowing he was missing the entire wing speaks volumes as to his instincts as a pilot. He did that all by feel.

I think it's funny that the McDonnell-Douglas team that was sent to check it out initially thought the story was BS... but I don't blame them. They probably thought it was a big hoax up until they checked the black box that verified the events that were reported.

Chuck Yeager talked about the split second instinctive reactions of great pilots in his autobiography. He talked about one occasion where a 2-seater fighter was making a crash landing, the test pilot in the front stayed with, the test pilot in back ejected on impact - and both decisions were correct.

Turns out the canopy was jammed in the front, so if he had ejected, it would have killed him when the rockets under the seat lit and splattered him against the canopy. And the second pilot ejected out of the back seat a split second before the fuselage crumpled on impact where he'd been sitting, and would have been crushed into sushi.

Gunny
09-22-2015, 07:24 AM

I think as of the Gulf War the score was 63 to nothing.

Even though the Israelis fly US fighters they purchase them without avionics package and put in their own avionic suites.

Correct. Took me awhile to figure that one out. I could never get why we sold our planes to others, but the get the 1984 Ford Ranger S model - rear bumper sold separately. Had more gears than cylinders. :laugh: