PDA

View Full Version : Divine intervention

Nonnie
09-21-2015, 05:22 PM
Can you relate to a specific time in your life where God or Jesus has helped you.

I remember sitting at the back of church, needing answers 7 years ago. Then, I felt Jesus' presence beside me. That was a pivotal turning point in my life, and I've never looked back since.

Abbey Marie
09-21-2015, 05:32 PM
I had a very powerful and very real experience of God in church many years ago. It has sustained me through any crises of faith I may have had.

Noir
09-21-2015, 05:40 PM
No.

jimnyc
09-21-2015, 05:55 PM
I've been through some seriously miserable times. Perhaps the lowest or the hardest points of my life. Things felt impossible and every minute a struggle. Sure, I get some credit, as I worked hard to get through those times. But truth be told, at those times it was when I picked up my bible. It's when I'm feeling my weakest that I tend to reach for my bible, and to seek answers or guidance. Ask for help, and you shall receive. :)

DLT
09-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Can you relate to a specific time in your life where God or Jesus has helped you.

I remember sitting at the back of church, needing answers 7 years ago. Then, I felt Jesus' presence beside me. That was a pivotal turning point in my life, and I've never looked back since.

I remember.....a time when I am sure I felt God's presence around me once. My ex and I had been divorced for several years, he had gone back to church regularly (Catholic) and got involved with some contemplatives there. In the process, his spirituality was revived and increased ten-fold. He had just gotten back from Medjugorje (http://www.medjugorje.org/olmpage.htm) ....a trip that he had made with his fellow contemplatives.....and, as he always tended to be, he was wound up and could talk about nothing else....a true zealot..lol. Well....over that year or so, my spirituality was awakened too. I truly think my ex 'saved' me by bringing me closer to God....no doubt, all in God's divine plan all along, eh? Ironically, this would never have happened had the two of us stayed married...because he would never have returned to the church (we were not married in the Church according to the Catholic church and it was, essentially, adultery and a sin for him...so no confession was possible during our time together). But I digress...

anyway, I became spiritually active and aware for the first time in my life, started praying and reading the Bible, Poem of the Mangod, and even erected a white-painted cross in my back yard which I lit up with 1,000 mini lights (symbolic of 1,000 years of Jesus' reign on earth when he returns).

So...I'm laying there on the chaise getting some sun, enjoying the day...and all of a sudden this feeling of warmth came upon me. But it wasn't a physical warmth, it was spiritual. It was a feeling of pure love. I had never felt anything like it before...and haven't since. But it was wonderful. I think it was a glimpse or a sample of what being in God's presence (in Heaven) will be like. It was the very essence of pure bliss! And I want nothing more than to feel that feeling again...only permanently and forever.

DLT
09-21-2015, 07:38 PM
I've been through some seriously miserable times. Perhaps the lowest or the hardest points of my life. Things felt impossible and every minute a struggle. Sure, I get some credit, as I worked hard to get through those times. But truth be told, at those times it was when I picked up my bible. It's when I'm feeling my weakest that I tend to reach for my bible, and to seek answers or guidance. Ask for help, and you shall receive. :)

Have you ever had God or one of his messengers/angels or maybe even your guardian angel help you out with a rather mundane problem you were having? I have. And it was kind of funny, looking back.

My trans am was having some weird difficulties (as usual/always) and making a certain noise when driven that was rather troubling/disconcerting. My then boss (ex bf/roommate/long story).... who was an expert on car, truck and rv repairs and had his own business run out of his house where I worked for him as an office assistant, parts gal and general office manager..... was test driving it around the neighborhood to see if he could figure it out. He couldn't. Had no clue. I remember it like it was yesterday (10 years ago). We were approaching a stop sign....and all of a sudden....this thought (can't say it was a voice really, because there was no sound in my head.... it just 'popped' into my head) came to me and as soon as it did I blurted it out...one word...

driveshaft.

WTF??? I sat there stunned. He was rather shocked himself....lol...since I knew and know NOTHING about cars or their 'workings'. He replied....well...it could be, but he still wasn't sure. He did say he knew a guy that worked at O'Reilly's that might have time to check it out for me tho, since he was tied up that week on major customer repairs that I had already booked him for. So the guy came out and sure enough...it was the driveshaft. The guy fixed it for me at 1/3 of the cost (cash) it would have been at a shop, and I was happy. But that "not a voice" will forever be called 'the driveshaft voice' now. It's divine help for even the little things.

NightTrain
09-21-2015, 08:23 PM
The time that sticks out in my mind was along the lines of Divine Intervention / Guardian Angel to prevent my death.

This happened when I was 12 or 13, and we were living out in the sticks, 20 miles from the nearest road. When a river freezes for the winter, it's full of slush. The slush adheres to other slush, slowly forming solid ice until both sides meet to cover the moving water. Sometimes, though, the slush can form a dam and force the river to back up, raising up to 10 feet higher. The water isn't moving, so it quickly freezes over... and finally the pressure on the chokepoint of slush clears itself, and the river level plummets back to where it should be. That leaves a thin sheet of ice not supported by water several feet above the river, with no way of knowing how deep it is or how thick the ice is. It's incredibly dangerous stuff to traverse and to be avoided. Ice gets it's strength from the water underneath it, supporting it. When that water isn't there, it can and does shear off at any time, even if it's several feet thick.

Dad knew this, but didn't explain it to us. He just forbade us to go out on that ice one November when the river had backed up and released a day or two beforehand. Naturally, all 4 of us kids headed straight for that huge patch of glare ice to have fun sliding around on one afternoon. I was the oldest, and of course the heaviest.

We were moving in single file, and suddenly the ice just dropped from under me. As I was passing the ice level with my torso, my elbows shot out in front of me and hooked on the ice in front of me. I remember looking at how thick the ice was that I was hanging on with my elbows, and it was as thick as a sheet of paper - literally. There was almost nothing there. I looked down under my dangling feet, and about 6 or 8 feet below was black, rushing, gurgling water - and I knew the black part meant it was deep. My middle brother and sister calmly walked over to where I was, both grabbed an arm and pulled me up onto the ice, and we headed to shore... of course no one was stupid enough to tell the Old Man what we'd done, so he never found out.

The ice that supported my elbows slamming down on it wouldn't have supported a housecat, but somehow it supported my falling 100# body, and then the additional weight of my siblings pulling me out.

That whole thing didn't phase me, it was only when I got older that I saw what a no-win situation that was. It was an impossibility. The sure death that should have taken me would have been a nasty way to go out... being swept downriver under the ice is the stuff of nightmares, and I've had that scenario pop into my nightmares the night before I take a snowmachine and break the trail in to the cabin for the winter. I'm perfectly fine once I'm out there doing my thing and navigating the safest way up, but prior to it I'm a nervous wreck - all because of that experience of hanging from paper-thin ice on my elbows and seeing that black water below me.

There was definitely divine help in one form or another that afternoon, saving me from certain death.

DLT
09-21-2015, 08:39 PM
The time that sticks out in my mind was along the lines of Divine Intervention / Guardian Angel to prevent my death.

This happened when I was 12 or 13, and we were living out in the sticks, 20 miles from the nearest road. When a river freezes for the winter, it's full of slush. The slush adheres to other slush, slowly forming solid ice until both sides meet to cover the moving water. Sometimes, though, the slush can form a dam and force the river to back up, raising up to 10 feet higher. The water isn't moving, so it quickly freezes over... and finally the pressure on the chokepoint of slush clears itself, and the river level plummets back to where it should be. That leaves a thin sheet of ice not supported by water several feet above the river, with no way of knowing how deep it is or how thick the ice is. It's incredibly dangerous stuff to traverse and to be avoided. Ice gets it's strength from the water underneath it, supporting it. When that water isn't there, it can and does shear off at any time, even if it's several feet thick.

Dad knew this, but didn't explain it to us. He just forbade us to go out on that ice one November when the river had backed up and released a day or two beforehand. Naturally, all 4 of us kids headed straight for that huge patch of glare ice to have fun sliding around on one afternoon. I was the oldest, and of course the heaviest.

We were moving in single file, and suddenly the ice just dropped from under me. As I was passing the ice level with my torso, my elbows shot out in front of me and hooked on the ice in front of me. I remember looking at how thick the ice was that I was hanging on with my elbows, and it was as thick as a sheet of paper - literally. There was almost nothing there. I looked down under my dangling feet, and about 6 or 8 feet below was black, rushing, gurgling water - and I knew the black part meant it was deep. My middle brother and sister calmly walked over to where I was, both grabbed an arm and pulled me up onto the ice, and we headed to shore... of course no one was stupid enough to tell the Old Man what we'd done, so he never found out.

The ice that supported my elbows slamming down on it wouldn't have supported a housecat, but somehow it supported my falling 100# body, and then the additional weight of my siblings pulling me out.

That whole thing didn't phase me, it was only when I got older that I saw what a no-win situation that was. It was an impossibility. The sure death that should have taken me would have been a nasty way to go out... being swept downriver under the ice is the stuff of nightmares, and I've had that scenario pop into my nightmares the night before I take a snowmachine and break the trail in to the cabin for the winter. I'm perfectly fine once I'm out there doing my thing and navigating the safest way up, but prior to it I'm a nervous wreck - all because of that experience of hanging from paper-thin ice on my elbows and seeing that black water below me.

There was definitely divine help in one form or another that afternoon, saving me from certain death.

Oh yes....there are many instances of such intervention.

I've had a 'narrow miss' myself (in a car, twice in my life). And my best GF tangled with an 18-wheeler once and had divine intervention get/pull her up out of her car. The truck driver was a little guy, probably only about 5'3'...my gf is about 6' and fairly large/hefty size. You could attribute it to adrenaline, but the truck driver didn't know her from Adam, so had no real personal connection for that adrenaline to kick in...as would be the case if/when a parent is saving his or her child. He yanked her out like she weighed nothing. Even the truck driver said he didn't know how or where he got the strength. I do.

I was driving me and my husband back from a party (hubby was semi-passed out in the passenger seat while I played designated driver...even tho I had had a few drinks too). There was a hill at a certain part of the road that I knew quite well. The streets were dry (no rain) and looked safe/ok. So I drive up and over the hill and on the downside all of a sudden we go into this spin. It was weird. Like we were suddenly on glass. The car did a few turns and I realized I had NO control whatsoever other than to slow-brake. The car miraculously never left the road....thank God, as there were rather deep ditches on either side due to the flooding problems in that area. The car also ended up headed in the correct direction when it came to a stop. Whew! Boy did I thank God on that one!

Also, my ex-bf/roommnate/boss had a ...what should have been fatal...car accident where he ran into the back of an 18-wheeler at night (no lights on the truck apparently) but still lived while his car was reduced to pieces. That's why they say if it's your time to go, NOTHING can stop it, but if it's not...you won't be going anywhere until God sez so.

gabosaurus
09-21-2015, 08:56 PM
When I was in college, one of my roommates invited me to attend her church in Oakland. I did it primarily out of boredom and looking for something new to do. I did not grow up in a religious family and really had no interest.
I was intrigued by the service, which was extremely lively with a singing, a good band and a lot of audience interaction. So I went back a couple of weeks later. The sermon was about allowing God to take hold of your life. It was such a powerful message that I got chills. I felt like the minister was talking directly to me. I was so awestruck that my roommate suggested that we talk to the minister after the service.
He seemed to realize that I was at a crossroads and began to discuss the importance of allowing God to take control of your life. That was the beginning of my becoming a Christian.

SassyLady
09-22-2015, 05:16 AM
When my daughter was 12 she took her father's car out for a joyride and crashed it into a tree. She had to be cut out of the car (her passenger was thrown from the car. We were told she had to have massive internal injuries because the driver's side was non existent.

I was at work and saw the rescue helicopter flying across town and heard it land and wondered what had happened. As the helicopter took off and headed down the valley to the hospital I got the call. My daughter had been airlifted (the hospital is less than 30 miles away) because of the severity of the injuries.

All the way to the hospital I was praying ... just praying that she would be alive when I got there. Later I reflected how easily I slipped into prayer even thought I had been mad at God for over 20 years.

As I was speeding to the hospital got pulled over by CHP and when I told him why I was speeding he let me go but said he would follow me to hospital and that he would give me a ticket if I started speeding again. That was the hardest trip I've ever made.

When I got to the hospital I was told she was having an MRI and then a cat scan and then would have to go into surgery. Still praying, not the forgiveness and oh, please God let her live and I'll become a born again Christian type of prayer. It was a simple prayer ... please let her live.

My prayer was answered and given back to me tenfold. She had no internal injuries, no broken bones and no major cuts. She did have a severe concussion, some little cuts from the shattered windshield and a slice across on of her knuckle (which was repaired in surgery). She was in the hospital for a week for the concussion then she went home and had to face the music.

Our town was a small town and her dad was probably one of the most well known people in town. The police chief knew he was at the ball game and drove there to tell him rather than just calling. He knew it was bad and he went there to support a friend. The first responders knew my daughter and due to the condition of the car were not very optimistic. None of them could believe she walked away from it, much less without major trauma. Pretty much the whole town had made the trip to the wrecking yard to see the condition of the car and shaking their head at the miracle.

So, yes, I feel there was a divine presence looking over my family that day. From the CHP officer stopping me from continuing to drive in panic mode. And intervening for my daughter to not having major internal injuries but also not allowing broken bones and life threatening cuts. Amen.

Nonnie
09-22-2015, 01:16 PM
I've known Jesus for sometime. The funny thing was, my prayers were always to God, I use to search for God as I prayed, was he up in the sky, across the field etc.. searching. One day, I closed my eyes to pray and God was there, I don't search, he's there. What an experience.

When people pray, they lose.

They lose anger, depression, greed, vanity, arrogance, selfishness, dishonesty etc.. That's the gain in praying.

DLT
09-22-2015, 01:26 PM
When my daughter was 12 she took her father's car out for a joyride and crashed it into a tree. She had to be cut out of the car (her passenger was thrown from the car. We were told she had to have massive internal injuries because the driver's side was non existent.

I was at work and saw the rescue helicopter flying across town and heard it land and wondered what had happened. As the helicopter took off and headed down the valley to the hospital I got the call. My daughter had been airlifted (the hospital is less than 30 miles away) because of the severity of the injuries.

All the way to the hospital I was praying ... just praying that she would be alive when I got there. Later I reflected how easily I slipped into prayer even thought I had been mad at God for over 20 years.

As I was speeding to the hospital got pulled over by CHP and when I told him why I was speeding he let me go but said he would follow me to hospital and that he would give me a ticket if I started speeding again. That was the hardest trip I've ever made.

When I got to the hospital I was told she was having an MRI and then a cat scan and then would have to go into surgery. Still praying, not the forgiveness and oh, please God let her live and I'll become a born again Christian type of prayer. It was a simple prayer ... please let her live.

My prayer was answered and given back to me tenfold. She had no internal injuries, no broken bones and no major cuts. She did have a severe concussion, some little cuts from the shattered windshield and a slice across on of her knuckle (which was repaired in surgery). She was in the hospital for a week for the concussion then she went home and had to face the music.

Our town was a small town and her dad was probably one of the most well known people in town. The police chief knew he was at the ball game and drove there to tell him rather than just calling. He knew it was bad and he went there to support a friend. The first responders knew my daughter and due to the condition of the car were not very optimistic. None of them could believe she walked away from it, much less without major trauma. Pretty much the whole town had made the trip to the wrecking yard to see the condition of the car and shaking their head at the miracle.

So, yes, I feel there was a divine presence looking over my family that day. From the CHP officer stopping me from continuing to drive in panic mode. And intervening for my daughter to not having major internal injuries but also not allowing broken bones and life threatening cuts. Amen.

We don't realize how truly blessed we are and how God IS looking after us in our every day life unless or until something like this happens. But it is an ongoing miracle that happens every day. Especially considering the evil forces working against us and all around us. God bless!

DLT
09-22-2015, 01:58 PM
I've known Jesus for sometime. The funny thing was, my prayers were always to God, I use to search for God as I prayed, was he up in the sky, across the field etc.. searching. One day, I closed my eyes to pray and God was there, I don't search, he's there. What an experience.

When people pray, they lose.

They lose anger, depression, greed, vanity, arrogance, selfishness, dishonesty etc.. That's the gain in praying.

And never forget to pray for wisdom, strength and discernment. Very crucial to have in this day and time. And of course, pray for God's and Jesus's love, always.

DLT
09-23-2015, 04:18 PM

Well...it appears that I have a stalker, stalking me here, from that other forum....(I'm sure you know which one it is, in fact)....

that apparently feels the need to quote my comments that I make here over there. No doubt, mocking my beliefs, my faith and my religion.

Just showing who (and what) he is. A gutless coward, for one thing. Nice of him to self-identify (as if we didn't already know), eh?

Gunny
09-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Well...it appears that I have a stalker, stalking me here, from that other forum....(I'm sure you know which one it is, in fact)....

that apparently feels the need to quote my comments that I make here over there. No doubt, mocking my beliefs, my faith and my religion.

Just showing who (and what) he is. A gutless coward, for one thing. Nice of him to self-identify (as if we didn't already know), eh?

I do.

Just not sure which person you are talking about. But I remember you from elsewhere.

Gunny
09-23-2015, 04:36 PM
And I would ask you to define "stalker", upon further review. I comment on your posts. It ain't like this is Grand Central Station. You post, I comment. Especially when I'm not babysitting and I'm bored. Everyone on the board could call everyone else a stalker in that case. But now you got me trying to remember how many of your threads/posts I've replied to.:laugh:

If it's an honest to goodness stalker, tell Jim. That crap won't last. He's as over-protective as it comes.

SassyLady
09-24-2015, 02:09 AM
And never forget to pray for wisdom, strength and discernment. Very crucial to have in this day and time. And of course, pray for God's and Jesus's love, always.

When I have my talks with God it's mostly to give thanks for everything good in my life and everything good to come because I know I'll be provided for when I show appreciation.