PDA

View Full Version : Right turn on red

Abbey Marie
09-25-2015, 12:21 PM
I'm about willing to vote for any candidate who fights to repeal this fiasco.

It started as a way to keep traffic moving, but ONLY when there is no one coming with a green light. It has turned into an opportunity to cut off anyone and everyone, regardless of who has the right of way.

Not only do these people turn in front of you when they shouldn't, they then GO SLOWLY in front of you.

:mad:

tailfins
09-25-2015, 12:34 PM
One of the first things they tell you at a Canadian visitors Centre is that you can't legally make a right on red
Cross the border if you want to try it out.

gabosaurus
09-25-2015, 12:35 PM
I get more upset at the drivers who refuse to turn right on red. Because you don't have to. Or those people who drive like they are sight seeing. When they are actually texting.

Gunny
09-25-2015, 12:35 PM
I'm about willing to vote for any candidate that fights to repeal this fiasco.

It started as a way to keep traffic moving, but ONLY when there is no one coming with a green light. It has turned into an opportunity to cut off anyone and everyone, regardless of who has the right of way.

Not only do these people turn in front of you when they shouldn't, they then GO SLOWLY in front of you.

That's not really a problem here. I actually like the cameras they had in Virginia. The light turning red does NOT mean 6 more cars go.

Drivers in general are inconsiderate. They don't pay attention and don't care about anyone but themselves.

tailfins
09-25-2015, 12:41 PM
I get more upset at the drivers who refuse to turn right on red. Because you don't have to. Or those people who drive like they are sight seeing. When they are actually texting.

Texting and driving is already unlawful in many states.

Little-Acorn
09-25-2015, 01:16 PM

Sounds like you aren't complaining about the law. You're complaining about people who violate it ("...when there is sufficient distance from oncoming traffic...").

The law varies by state.

You can turn right on a red light in most states I've lived in (California, Colorado, Minnesota) when it is safe.

You can't turn right on a red light in New Jersey, even if you're the only car within a mile of the intersection. You must wait till the light turn green. (At least that was true when I lived there in the 1970s.)

I much prefer the situation in the states where it's permitted.

In Minnesota, you can turn right on a red light... and you can even turn LEFT on a red light, if it's from a one-way street to another one-way street.

Motown
09-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Right turn on red is a way of life where I live, I guess I'm used to it. What really pisses me off though are people who want to turn left out of a parking lot but stay way to the right so no one behind them can turn right. I've been tempted more than once to exit my vehicle with my baseball bat and do some damage.

Elessar
09-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Right turn on red is a way of life where I live, I guess I'm used to it. What really pisses me off though are people who want to turn left out of a parking lot but stay way to the right so no one behind them can turn right. I've been tempted more than once to exit my vehicle with my baseball bat and do some damage.

I hate the ones that straddle both sides of the parking lot entrance so nobody can enter!

Elessar
09-25-2015, 02:30 PM

That shakes my grates....some idiot pulls out in front when there is nobody behind me, then putters up the damn road 10-15 mph below
the speed limit!

Gunny
09-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Sounds like you aren't complaining about the law. You're complaining about people who violate it ("...when there is sufficient distance from oncoming traffic...").

The law varies by state.

You can turn right on a red light in most states I've lived in (California, Colorado, Minnesota) when it is safe.

You can't turn right on a red light in New Jersey, even if you're the only car within a mile of the intersection. You must wait till the light turn green. (At least that was true when I lived there in the 1970s.)

I much prefer the situation in the states where it's permitted.

In Minnesota, you can turn right on a red light... and you can even turn LEFT on a red light, if it's from a one-way street to another one-way street.

Here's a twist. Come back from Okinawa and turn left on red. I was so used to driving in the left lane I was damned sure in the wrong place. Turned left under an under pass into the immediate left lane. I was looking up and it dawned on me those traffic lights weren't three lanes to the right for no reason. :laugh:

DLT
09-26-2015, 11:28 AM

I'd like to see the "left turn on green (no arrow)" rescinded too. Why? Same reason. You've got the right of way and suddenly some idiot 'thinks' he's clear to turn (even though there you are, coming right at him) and YOU have to slam on your brakes. Idiotic laws and their intended (you won't convince me otherwise) consequences!

jimnyc
09-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Right turn on red sucks in NY. It's allowed, unless there is a sign saying "no turn on red", and then the majority of them have in small print that it's allowed during certain days/hours. And don't worry, if you don't see it, and it's allowed, the guy behind you will most certainly remind you!! :laugh:

ptif219
09-26-2015, 11:54 AM

Welcome to the world of a truck driver. If I get cut off less than 10 times a day I have had a good day

Gunny
09-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the world of a truck driver. If I get cut off less than 10 times a day I have had a good day

That's GOT to suck. I've spent years on the road. I-10 and !-95 mostly. Seen people do some STUPID crap. Oh, you think that truck doing 70 can just stop on a dime because you decided to exit from the left lane at the last second? I can't even imagine driving a truck. Hard enough in a pickup to fend off the sorry morons.:beer:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-26-2015, 12:14 PM
I hate the idiots that turn to cross traffic from right lane , thru my lane left of them instead of slowing to get in the clearly marked turn lane in the middle. Have almost had front of my car clipped by such blithering idiots at least a dozen times this year alone!! Dare I say what group does it most often around here???
Yes , I do-- nine times out of ten its a black driver. Thats true and if truth is racist so be it..
I have seen this crap increase every year around here for over 25 years.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
As every year the powers that be here, inform/command the cops to overlook more bad and dangerous driving by that particular group of drivers! A damn Fact. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-26-2015, 12:16 PM
That shakes my grates....some idiot pulls out in front when there is nobody behind me, then putters up the damn road 10-15 mph below
the speed limit!
That one has been known to send me ballistic!!

tailfins
09-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Right turn on red sucks in NY. It's allowed, unless there is a sign saying "no turn on red", and then the majority of them have in small print that it's allowed during certain days/hours. And don't worry, if you don't see it, and it's allowed, the guy behind you will most certainly remind you!! :laugh:

How does NYC get away with ignoring federal law?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_turn_on_red

As of 1992, right turn on red is governed federally by 42 U.S.C. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_42_of_the_United_States_Code) § 6322 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/6322.html)(c) ("Each proposed State energy conservation plan to be eligible for Federal assistance under this part shall include: ...(5) a traffic law or regulation which, to the maximum extent practicable consistent with safety, permits the operator of a motor vehicle to turn such vehicle right at a red stop light after stopping, and to turn such vehicle left from a one-way street onto a one-way street at a red light after stopping."). All turns on red are forbidden in New York City (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City) unless a sign is posted permitting it.[6] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_turn_on_red#cite_note-6)

Gunny
09-26-2015, 12:22 PM

How does ANY state? Let's see ... we got legalized marijuana in how many states? And how many sanctuary cities? NYC to me is where God condemns you to Hell, but let's be real ...

ptif219
09-26-2015, 05:42 PM
That's GOT to suck. I've spent years on the road. I-10 and !-95 mostly. Seen people do some STUPID crap. Oh, you think that truck doing 70 can just stop on a dime because you decided to exit from the left lane at the last second? I can't even imagine driving a truck. Hard enough in a pickup to fend off the sorry morons.:beer:

Thanx. Trucks are always at fault you know. Now the government regulations make it even harder to make a living

ptif219
09-26-2015, 05:45 PM

Florida made it legal to have yellow lights set below fed standards to get you on a red light camera.

gabosaurus
09-26-2015, 06:17 PM
Florida made it legal to have yellow lights set below fed standards to get you on a red light camera.

Most places in California have done away with red light cameras because the courts normally rule in your favor if you protest. Trouble is, you need to show up in court to do so.

I have a lot of empathy for truck drivers. They get the blame for too many things that are not their fault.
Case in point was a recent incident where a car crossed two lanes to cut in front of an 18-wheeler on a freeway. The car was crushed and a couple of people died. The trucking company settled rather than go to court. I have to wonder how many truckers have lost their jobs and their licenses for things that were not their fault.

ptif219
09-26-2015, 11:07 PM
Most places in California have done away with red light cameras because the courts normally rule in your favor if you protest. Trouble is, you need to show up in court to do so.

I have a lot of empathy for truck drivers. They get the blame for too many things that are not their fault.
Case in point was a recent incident where a car crossed two lanes to cut in front of an 18-wheeler on a freeway. The car was crushed and a couple of people died. The trucking company settled rather than go to court. I have to wonder how many truckers have lost their jobs and their licenses for things that were not their fault.

Thanx. Red light cameras are everywhere else where in this country.

Abbey Marie
09-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Oh, and my non-scientific poll, which includes NY, NJ, and DC drivers, btw, reveals that the absolute worst drivers are from...

Massachusetts.

Nowhere except Rome have I seen drivers cut you off so often, and with so little space in front of your car.

At least in Rome, they all have little cars and scooters, do it as an art form, and remain calm about it. Can't say any of that about Mass.

Gunny
09-28-2015, 04:23 AM

It's just simple math and people are just so caught up in their own their worlds they're just complete dumbasses. I drive a 3/4 ton HD pickup. It doesn't handle like your little rice burner. You fit nicely UNDER my bumpers.

I've traveled cross country all my life. I've made it from San Diego to Parris Island in 2 days. That's what truckers do for a living. They usually are zoned out and coffee'd up and that 18 wheeler ain't going to stop on a dime. I usually just stay out of their way. And I damned sure ain't cutting one off in some little eco rice burner car. If he manages to not hit you with the cab, that trailer's going to fishtail around and knock you out of this world.

And I always HATED I-95 and I-65 because both are truck hell. But those guys are just trying to make a living. Then you got a bunch of inconsiderate jet jockeys trying to flip through traffic. They spend two hours trying to duck and dodge to get to the rest stop 2 minutes ahead of you.

All in all, it's just a lack of consideration for others. THAT is what gets me. Right turn on red is fine until you rush up yank a right in front of someone then drive under the speed limit. How about just waiting your turn and passing a simple physics class? That 18 wheeler hits you, you're toast. Then you want to blame the truck driver? GMAFB.

Gunny
09-28-2015, 04:26 AM
Oh, and my non-scientific poll, which includes NY, NJ, and DC drivers, btw, reveals that the absolute worst drivers are from...

Massachusetts.

Nowhere except Rome have I seen drivers cut you off so often, and with so little space in front of your car.

At least in Rome, they all have little cars and scooters, do it as an art form, and remain calm about it. Can't say any of that about Mass.

Try driving in Okinawa. Same deal. They'll squeeze in as an art form at 55 klicks per hour.

Elessar
09-28-2015, 12:33 PM

After living in LA - Long Beach for 14 years, I found the most precious piece of
real estate is that one car cushion you give to the driver ahead. There is always
some idiot who thinks they are in a hurry that will squeeze in to take it away!:laugh:

Gunny
09-28-2015, 12:40 PM
After living in LA - Long Beach for 14 years, I found the most precious piece of
real estate is that one car cushion you give to the driver ahead. There is always
some idiot who thinks they are in a hurry that will squeeze in to take it away!:laugh:

You lived in Long Beach? Eewww ....

I lived in La Mesa and in Vista. In both cases I managed to dodge the I-5 charge of commuters. Everybody's going north-south and I was always going east-west.

Elessar
09-28-2015, 05:30 PM
It was rather hard to allow a GMC K-5 Blazer to yield to some idiot! 6200 pounds
versus "Maybe' 2300?

It always amazed me!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gunny
09-28-2015, 06:04 PM
It was rather hard to allow a GMC K-5 Blazer to yield to some idiot! 6200 pounds
versus "Maybe' 2300?

It always amazed me!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I hear ya. My 1st thought is always WTF are you thinking? If I hit you in this truck you're a done deal and "might" scratch my bumper.:laugh:

Elessar
09-29-2015, 11:47 AM
This set of pictures might amuse folks:

http://www.odometer.com/lifestyle/9585/23-insanely-awful-parkers-that-got-their-just-desserts#slide/15

Motown
09-29-2015, 12:54 PM
This set of pictures might amuse folks:

http://www.odometer.com/lifestyle/9585/23-insanely-awful-parkers-that-got-their-just-desserts#slide/15

Thanks, those were funny. Shrinkwrap is just awesome, isn't it?

Elessar
09-29-2015, 06:46 PM
I hear ya. My 1st thought is always WTF are you thinking? If I hit you in this truck you're a done deal and "might" scratch my bumper.:laugh:

I had some idiot pull in front of me at a stop light on Willow Ave (Long Beach) when I was gearing down my old Scout for the
light. I hit his ass end at 5 mph. Dimpled his plastic bumper with my tow hooks.

He got out massaging his neck saying " this has happened before". I asked him why he swooped in front
of me and jammed the brakes. Well, Junior...you swoop in front of someone at a red light....You are going to get hit!

He said he was in a hurry and did not care about speed limits.

The Scout was 6200 pounds...his little baby Camry 2200.

I Loved that IH Scout.