PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum cleaners

jimnyc
09-25-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm in the hunt for a new one, I think. Abbey brought it up elsewhere and I thought I'd make a thread about it. The one I have now is bulky and makes you not want to vacuum any more than you already don't want to. It's kept in 2 separate parts, no big deal, but gets tiresome after awhile. The hose is showing its age and the filter has a broken clip that holds it in place, so sometimes it falls off. I want something easy to just grab and vacuum when I need to. Something that can also get around the furniture and other hidden spots. And of course has ways to use the hoses with attachments for stairs and along corners.

Here's the overpriced thing I have now, but she's fading fast.

http://i.imgur.com/j5B38Gm.jpg

Abbey Marie
09-25-2015, 01:35 PM
My recommendation. We got ours from an Amazon lightening deal on Cyber Monday.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/OYcAAOSwstxVc1Rb/$_35.JPG

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tV8z-DtwL.jpg

Nonnie
09-26-2015, 06:52 AM
Do you not have Dyson's?

https://www.dyson.co.uk/

Kathianne
09-26-2015, 07:37 AM
Do you not have Dyson's?

https://www.dyson.co.uk/

Dyson is very good, but very heavy.

I don't really have much 'carpet', most of floors are wood or tile. I do like the Oreck though-very lightweight. It picks up everything and can be used effectively on bare floors.

http://www.oreck.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-oreck-Site/default/Default-Start?gclid=CjwKEAjwhJmwBRDGsamBu8Pp7FwSJACKD1KHWY SLXXa_VR52fM1As3r9RlB2w5G8mRRsJUl-RIl_5BoCThbw_wcB&keycode=FD035&s_kwcid=AL!4071!3!68086230162!e!!g!!oreck&ef_id=VawiUAAABUDgKNrY:20150926123715:s

NightTrain
09-26-2015, 08:11 AM
What Abbey said, hands down the best. Ours is a bit different :

http://i.imgur.com/mKzcmXN.jpg

Very powerful - and that's no joke. It sucked a key off a laptop keyboard once when I got a little too close while de-dusting it. Ripped it right off the mounts as my step-sister shrieked in horror about her laptop that had been overheating.

Very lightweight, very easy to clean, no bags, and we've had ours for 3 years now and still going strong. It gets a lot of work, too, because of the mud-happy kids and a chronically shedding German Shepherd.

My Grandmother had a Kirby back in the day, and that thing was around for like 20 years or better... my ex-wife got suckered by a salesman and bought one with all the attachments for like $1600 and it broke down constantly... finally got rid of the pile of junk.

jimnyc
09-26-2015, 08:12 AM
I like the looks of all of them! A light upright one would be great, with an easy removable hose to get higher places and stairs. I suppose I'll have to hit a store eventually with recommendations.

jimnyc
09-26-2015, 08:14 AM
That's 2 for the Shark, which I never even heard of. Is it easy to use with a hose to get to the hard to reach places?

NightTrain
09-26-2015, 08:16 AM
That damn picture is driving me nuts! It won't post upright!

Anyway, it's about $300 or maybe $400 at Home Depot where we got it. The handle comes off the base so you can reach other areas that are hard to get to... just have to be careful with the suction, which you can control by a rotating leak vent by the handle to reduce the airflow at the end of the pickup.

jimnyc
09-26-2015, 08:20 AM
That damn picture is driving me nuts! It won't post upright!

Fixed for you, but the pic is huge, and I'm too lazy as of yet to resize. :)

NightTrain
09-26-2015, 08:23 AM
That's 2 for the Shark, which I never even heard of. Is it easy to use with a hose to get to the hard to reach places?

Yeah, I imagine with the hose and handle, I have about a 7' or 8' reach from the vacuum itself. One push of a button on the base releases the handle from the base unit... really a very well-engineered piece of equipment.

I never would have paid that much for a vacuum after the Kirby fiasco, and would have stuck with those $80 cheapos that last for about a year and then break... but Sharon wanted this one, and it was a good move.

NightTrain
09-26-2015, 08:25 AM
Fixed for you, but the pic is huge, and I'm too lazy as of yet to resize. :)

lol, I guess I should have turned down the resolution for my phone... that is big. Thanks!

Where is the editing to rotate? That was really irritating me.

jimnyc
09-26-2015, 08:39 AM
lol, I guess I should have turned down the resolution for my phone... that is big. Thanks!

I'm on windows 7, I just open any picture generically with "windows photo viewer" which is default, and then use the arrows at the bottom to rotate either way.

jimnyc
09-26-2015, 08:41 AM

Ok, now a more reasonable size. Did that one with a portable version of Photoshop CS5 that I accidentally found. :beer:

NightTrain
09-26-2015, 08:46 AM
I'm on windows 7, I just open any picture generically with "windows photo viewer" which is default, and then use the arrows at the bottom to rotate either way.

Yeah, that's how I fixed pictures not loading Right Side Up before... it would upload here sideways, so I'd rotate, then rotate back and it would fix it.

Looks like we just identified a bug in Win 10 that hasn't been addressed yet. It was a weird bug in Win7 and 8, but rotating once and then back fixed it. I rotated this one a few times and it didn't correct, just kept uploading sideways!

NightTrain
09-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Ok, now a more reasonable size. Did that one with a portable version of Photoshop CS5 that I accidentally found. :beer:

I'm going to have to accidentally download that.

Motown
09-26-2015, 08:59 AM

I don't own a Shark but I've heard they're very good machines. I've owned three Dysons, two uprights and a handheld and they're great. My new upright has a reach of between 12' to 15' when you decide to use the hose depending on which attachment you're using.

But, the only I reason I buy Dysons is because my wife is a pet person and I'm allergic to cat hair, and we have a lot of shag carpet. The Dyson is incredible at pulling pet hair out of carpet and furniture so the money is worth it to me but if I didn't have pets or shag I probably wouldn't buy either the Dyson or the Shark, you can buy a decent Hoover for under $100 that can handle anything that's not too extreme cleaning wise.

jimnyc
09-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Let's put it this way, looking at the prices of the Shark, Dyson and Oreck... We paid about $1,500 for our Electrolux in 1999!! Yes, we were stupid, but it was rated as the best. :(

Abbey Marie
09-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Yes, it has those attachments to get into corners, etc.

tailfins
09-26-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm in the hunt for a new one, I think. Abbey brought it up elsewhere and I thought I'd make a thread about it. The one I have now is bulky and makes you not want to vacuum any more than you already don't want to. It's kept in 2 separate parts, no big deal, but gets tiresome after awhile. The hose is showing its age and the filter has a broken clip that holds it in place, so sometimes it falls off. I want something easy to just grab and vacuum when I need to. Something that can also get around the furniture and other hidden spots. And of course has ways to use the hoses with attachments for stairs and along corners.

Here's the overpriced thing I have now, but she's fading fast.

A vacuum cleaner shouldn't be of interest to you. That's in a wife's venue. Now, lawn mowers: that's a different subject.

jimnyc
09-26-2015, 01:13 PM
A vacuum cleaner shouldn't be of interest to you. That's in a wife's venue. Now, lawn mowers: that's a different subject.

If I told my wife that the vacuum cleaner was in "her venue", she would reply that the money is then in her venue as well! :lol: My wife isn't one into that old tradition of thinking a woman's place is in the kitchen, or being a homemaker. She worked her way through college and paid for it herself and worked her way to where she is now in the business world. Besides, I don't mind vacuuming, I would just like a better, simpler one at this point.

I want a riding mower like Jeff, but my lawn is too small to justify the price. We have a landscaper that comes and takes care of the whole 9 yards for us.

Next I'm on to a washer and dryer, that we don't have, because the last pair floated away!! But now we have the new generator and the wells and pumps. :)

WiccanLiberal
09-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Mine is a Eureka Airspeed designed for pet households. It has an onboard hose and a special pet hair attachment. It's lightweight and easy to use. Works very well for our small place and I use it every day.

jimnyc
11-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Oh joyous day! I finally get my vacuum cleaner of choice. Now I just need to talk her into the washer and dryer, since we don't flood anymore.

I decided on the 'Shark Rocket Deluxe Pro'. Awesome as a standup cleaner and breaks apart quickly to be used as a handheld.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61-nmkOCF5L._SL1500_.jpg

jimnyc
12-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Yay, the new vacuum is here! I've already hit a few rooms and love it so far! It feels weird, because it's SO darn light, where my old electrolux weighed like twice as much. Seems to do an awesome job of picking everything up. Very easy to change between accessories. Now I need to figure out how to hit the hardwood floor.

Didn't you say you had this, NT? Do I use the same piece as I would use the carpet, just on the slower setting? Seems that way from what I read. The best part is turning it into a mini vacuum so I can hit the stairs and other little places.

jimnyc
12-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Forgot we could do this - NightTrain - answer me mofo!! :)

NightTrain
12-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Forgot we could do this - @NightTrain (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=89) - answer me mofo!! :)

I'm here, I'm here!!

Hmmmm... that looks a bit different than mine. Got a pic of it in fully assembled normal mode?

gabosaurus
12-01-2015, 10:50 PM
I need a good vacuum cleaner that picks up cat litter. My current one gets about half of it. Our cat laughs at it. :cool:

glockmail
12-02-2015, 09:08 AM
I've never found a carpet cleaner that is convenient for hard floors, so I have separate vacs for each. I always buy Shop Vac brand for the hard floors, so my old tools for the house can get re-used for the garage. I've got about a dozen attachments for doing everything from keyboards, car detailing, to ceiling fans.

Costco had a wicked sale on a Dyson several years ago and I bought one. It's truly the Cadillac of vacuums, although it doesn't clean as well as a Shark! But you can't beat the smooth, quiet power and convenient bin unloading. And yes, it is heavy. And too big to clean under beds.