PDA

View Full Version : Russians give Putin OK to use troops in Syria

jimnyc
09-30-2015, 04:54 AM
MOSCOW (AP) — Russian lawmakers voted unanimously Wednesday to let President Vladimir Putin send Russian troops to Syria. The Kremlin sought to play down the decision, saying it will only use its air force there, not ground troops.

Putin had to request parliamentary approval for any use of Russian troops abroad, according to the constitution. The last time he did so was before Russia annexed Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula in March 2014.

The Federation Council, the upper chamber of the Russian parliament, discussed Putin's request for the authorization behind closed doors Wednesday, cutting off its live web broadcast to hold a debate notable for its quickness.

Sergei Ivanov, chief of Putin's administration, said in televised remarks after the discussion that the parliament voted unanimously to give the green light to Putin's plea. The proposal does not need to go to another legislative body.

Ivanov insisted that Moscow is not going to send ground troops to Syria but will only use its air force "in order to support the government Syrian forces in their fight against the Islamic State" group.

Putin and other officials have said Russia was only providing weapons and training to Syrian President Bashar Assad's army to help it combat the Islamic State group. Recent satellites images, however, have shown giant Russian military cargo planes in Syria, and Russian navy transport vessels have been shuttling back and forth for weeks to ferry troops, weapons and supplies to Syria.

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-lawmakers-consider-giving-ok-troops-abroad-073718314.html

Motown
09-30-2015, 06:02 AM
I think this is about to get interesting. I noticed something in your article:

Ivanov insisted that Moscow is not going to send ground troops to Syria but will only use its air force "in order to support the government Syrian forces in their fight against the Islamic State" group.

I've seen different wording about this in other articles. Here's an example:

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said after the vote that Russia’s main military goal in Syria was to combat terrorism and support goverment forces.

"The main objective is the fight against terrorism and supporting the legitimate authorities in Syria in the fight against terrorism and extremism," Peskov said, according to the Reuters news agency, when asked whether Russia could guarantee that it would confine any air strikes to Islamic State militants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/russias-legislature-authorizes-putin-to-use-military-force-in-syria/2015/09/30/f069f752-6749-11e5-9ef3-fde182507eac_story.html (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/russias-legislature-authorizes-putin-to-use-military-force-in-syria/2015/09/30/f069f752-6749-11e5-9ef3-fde182507eac_story.html)

It seems the Russians may not restrict themselves to attacking ISIS.

NightTrain
09-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Anyone else get the distinct feeling that the rest of the Russian government is a sham, and that Putin has just as much power as Stalin did?

When does a government, any government, agree 100% on anything? Putin gets it every time he 'requests' something, no matter how monumental or controversial it is.

Seems to me that the only way you get that kind of action is if Siberia is in your immediate future by voting 'Nyet'.

Motown
09-30-2015, 08:38 AM
So far I've read numerous reports that the Russians bombed Homs. Our government is saying the Russians bombed ISIS targets but I've never seen a map showing ISIS being that far west.

sundaydriver
09-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Putin wants Assad to remain in power for his own plans for the ME. I've seen reports already they some Russian troops already have done missions. The 1st Russian airstrikes have been carried out after warning Western aircraft to stay out of Syrian airspace and it didn't bomb ISIS. They went after the traditional rebellious area pretty much lacking ISIS and the other Jihad groups. What about the surface to air missile missile sites now in place. Since the Western nations are the only military aircraft in theater. They aren't for shooting down Syrian aircraft.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-30-2015, 10:05 AM
Anyone else get the distinct feeling that the rest of the Russian government is a sham, and that Putin has just as much power as Stalin did?

When does a government, any government, agree 100% on anything? Putin gets it every time he 'requests' something, no matter how monumental or controversial it is.

Seems to me that the only way you get that kind of action is if Siberia is in your immediate future by voting 'Nyet'.

Sure he does, his power is absolute there. And he has ulterior motives ,other than just keeping Assad in power..
He wants to reform the old Soviet Empire. USA WILL BENEFIT BY HIS TAKING ON ISIS, BUT obama opposes that and will keep trying to help ISIS like he has been doing by running a sham war on it.
Putin will likely do what we should have --really- BEEN DOING!
ISIS, is the face of the coming Caliphate and we should have wiped it out immediately-yet the traitor obama made damn sure it grew. -Tyr